GIVING FEEDBACK: PASS OR FAIL

author=Link_2112
I could care less and have no plans to alter my course. This is a labor of love. Can't stop me now.

Someone is going to tell you that you couldn't care less...oh wait I just...argh!

On topic, this thread rocks. Still enjoying all the vids.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Link_2112
Hali, yep. It's only the slow monsters that have this problem so later in the game it's not even an issue.
If it's not an issue later, then why can't it not be an issue sooner? Even just having the monsters move at speeds 4 (standard), 5, and 6 would be better. Do they really have to crawl so slowly at the game's start? Don't you think it's more off-putting and confusing for the player to take inexplicable hits early on? I'd strongly advise you to reconsider. You already saw Creation's troubles with it. He's surely not the only one to notice.
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
In the long run, the hit detection flaw is really going to harm the rest of your game which really is a shame since the rest if pretty damn good. I'm actually pretty lenient I think, some people would ragequit if the hit detection bug happened only once. You really can't make up for this by having players have to use strafe of the boomerang. I mean, those should be tactics, not techniques players have to use to circumvent a flaw you are fully aware is present in your game. The ''it's mostly an exploration game with puzzles game'' doesn't work for me as an excuse. As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to implement something in your game, make sure it works great or don't implement it at all.

I understand that it sucks to have spent so much time on this and to be stuck with a pretty serious glitch and I understand that you're unwilling to start from the ground up. Hopefully you'll find a way to fix this.
I understand what you guys are saying, but I won't be making any changes. Sorry. You'll have to take the game for what it is or pass it up :) I'm not worried that some people will still enjoy it and that's good enough for me. I didn't put THAT much time into this project, only a few months of actual work. The idea for the game and concept of mapping started about 7 years ago and sat dormant for a long time. Plus the time I did spend(mostly with editing/creating graphics) has been a good experience that will benefit my future projects.

On a side note, thanks to Rhuan I am starting to remake my game in Sphere ^.^ It will have the exact same graphics and menu options. Depending on the complexity of it, I would like to see this be an online multiplayer adventure game. Like an 8-bit Four Swords Adventure!
Oi, Creation, these videos are all really good ^^ I don't think anybody's variation of Let's Try has gone this far.

Oh, and I don't know if you even want these , but I re-designed the badges and ratings because they were a little inconsistent ^^
Sample :
Wonderful
Bad
Gameplay Badge
Writing Badge

Full Download
If you think mine suck and would rather use the ones you made, I seriously don't mind. They only took 5 minutes to make. It's just an option ^^
Creation
Wow, thank you Miracle.

I'll give them a look and tell you what I think about it. While those seem to look good the only problem I have is that I wanted things to be black and white to fit with the RMN style if you will.

But again, thank you. I'll definitely give those a look.
@Link: Tons of people will enjoy the game Link. A lot more than will complain about it. 1. Its Zelda 2. Its got that old school feel. 3. You've got the weapons sunonymous with the Zelda franchise. 4. Its a puzzle game. Now if it was an action game, collission detection would matter more.
Creation
Reincarnations by krosk
Mind doing a pass or fail for my game?

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1927/

I use some default graphics in there as placeholders. Be wary of that. =X
Congrats for your 20 pass or fail videos ! And a big, big thanks to you for picking my game !

I hadn't suggest you to try Reincarnations (although I reallly really wanted to), because of this 15 min mark. The actual game, the first battle, starts around 20 mins after the beginning (5 min if you skip the intro), so this (very) long intro would not have fit the pass or fail format...

Anyway, I'm delighted, and I own you a big thank for testing it !

About what you said, you are right. The intro has got a quite big amount of text which should be cut shorter without decreasing the enjoyment. Ill take your advice and rework those things!
That aside, the current state of the translation has been all done by myself, and it's until I saw your video that I noticed some mistakes (the "believe my eyes" thing was indeed quite akward haha).
Creation
Questing by Pladough

I have updated the pass or fail mechanics. Please read the first post to find out how it's going to work from now on.
I felt that the older system was too arbitrary and not enough structured. The new rating system will help being more objective.

I hope some games who failed will submit their games again (after making some changes) because I honestly think a lot of them would pass with the new system. From now on, Passing will be based on the final result of your score as opposed to how I felt after playing the game for 10 minutes. I really think it will be *much* better that way.

Ultima187's game would actually most probably pass with this system. I hope you'll enjoy the new reviewing format.

I'm actually going to go ahead and "hide" the older entries of Pof V1. I was still finding my feet and altough the core idea was good, I realized that it needed to be tweaked. They will act as archives of some sort for people who would like to find out more about a certain game.

From now on, each game being PoFed will have a score which I think will make things a lot more interesting. It will give a much better idea of my appreciation of a game than just the really vague "Pass" and "Fail".
Thanks for the pass or fail. I was kinda surprised seeing a number by my game, but then I read your post and it made sense.

Once you finish the intro, the actual game starts. You go inside the building you could accept the first mission. In my older version I had an announcement ring in, but I opted for the first maid you see to give advice. I might put that announcement back to ease any confusion the player might have. The intro wasn't specifically made for pass or fail, the run through was coincidentally 10 minutes.

I'm happy you like the characters. Writing their dialogue and how they interact is a complete joy for me. It's one of the main reasons why I'm making this game.

I'm kinda bummed you didn't like my choice of music, but I chalk that to having different tastes. I wanted some jazzy music to lighten mood, but the title song doesn't really match my intention. I'll probably change that up. I just really liked that theme and I put it there without a second thought.

As far as game play is concerned, Maria, the one missing from the party, has the only unique skill set out of the three. So the battles were fairly boring in the beginning. I'm still tweaking her skills. I got some feedback saying her damage was low and I had anticipated a problem like that. I'm still fiddling around with battles to make them more engaging so hopefully combat won't stifle the rest of the game.
That looked entertaining Pladough.

More POF's!
Hey Creation. :-)

I have a game that you can Pass or Fail. Its mine, I made it, with some help of course.

Super RMN Bros 2

http://rpgmaker.net/users/ShortStar/locker/Super_RMN_Bros2_ss.zip

I'm sure its totally different from any other game you've passed or failed.
Creation
I won't be making a P/F of this game and I'll tell you why (it's not because it's you).

desmo360 submitted his own Mario game a while back and I actually started P/F it. After a few minutes I realized it was pretty pointless because I had nothing to say really and the whole thing was boring so I dumped it.

Submit your Dungeon Quest instead, it will be more appropriate for the P/F format.

And actually I did a video'ed play through and I had nothing to say, but I'm not much of a talker. So its an hour of gameplay.

I won't be submitting DungeonQuest anytime soon. Nor is it currently available on the site.
Creation
Adalyn by Ocean
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Ahh, was just linked this! I just got to see it, and I think the feedback is helpful. Certainly nice to see how a person plays through the game and all.

Haha, the bed. I had them in it but because of poor tile placement the pillow would partially overlap the character and it looked just as bad if not worse. That was not a priority in such a short time. But anyway, I think your main gripe was the battle system, and I fully agree.

A silly side thing, I wanted that pond to look dirty as Adalyn mentioned it, but that mug got everyone trying to get it or wondering why it's there. I guess I need some other method of doing this!

People wanted more healing too, which I will work on adding as well! As of now, big barrels, golden pots on the ground, and the bar itself (if you exclude the heal spell) are the only forms of healing. Sleeping I should make to fully recover you, and visiting the bar I should also make to fully heal you.

Sounds good though. I will make the appropriate fixes and planning. Sorry for disappointing you, but again I really tried to do what I could in that time frame! It's not going to remain like this so I will get to work on it soon. I specifically released it as is for feedback purposes so I will be glad to take this into account. Thank you!
Oh Creation about money and healing you could've checked the vases and the barrel :o
Creation
I'll be looking forward to playing the next version anyway. The thing is, you certainly have the skills to make some pretty rad animations for the battles and hopefully you'll find a way to fix the script so that the controls are more responsive.

I'll admit I was pretty surpised to see my health was still down after resting at that place, I kind of took for granted that I'd be back to full health! I guess I've played too many RPGs, haha :).

@Ness: To be honest, it wouldn't have changed anything. I didn't mind the difficulty or the fact that I didn't have enough cash to buy new weapons. What I thought needed improvement would pretty much remain the same. This being said, thanks for letting me know! :)