POST YOUR OVERLOOKED GAMES HERE.

No worries, I know my games aren't for everyone and are usually targeted towards a select group of people. Although I do think that the difficulty probably has a lot to do with it. The game needs to be rebalanced, and sadly I haven't really gotten around to it yet! However with the added touch-encounters and whatever balancing issues I have ironed out for the current (my) version, it already feels MUCH better.
author=Fidchell
enemies that can double attack (goddamnit I hate that fucking ability)

Unless one of your party members can draw enemy attention and counterattack those double hits, am I right? *chuckle*

author=Ephiam
The game needs to be rebalanced, and sadly I haven't really gotten around to it yet!

I can sympathize. Balancing monster difficulty is the hardest part of game design. You need to play the HELL out of your game to get a good feel for it. :(
Could you check out my game Blood Aegis, please? It's been on here for a while and I've just now gotten back into the rm commumity and also added the first chapter.

It never really got attention back when I first uploaded it and i'm trying to get it out there.

Thanks!
SorceressKyrsty, I am done with Nachtheulen. No, I don't mean I finished it, but I think I got pretty close. While I can say some of the effort put into the aesthetics in this game are pretty well done, I don't know if I can say much positive about much else. Let me break it down to you what I thought of Nachtheulen and what I think you can do to improve it.

Aesthetics/Map Design

(+) Your game comes in a fairly pretty package. I am liking the plentiful drawing and custom graphics in the game. It gives off a good first impression as far as effort is concerned, and it gives off a fresh feel.
(+) The graphics meld well with each other, and what I actually mean by that is that the sense of proportions are more than decent. The midget sprites clash well with the props and other odds and ends. Things tie together well in this department.
(+) I like how you've implemented the custom system in message boxes. It is executed well and I didn't notice any discrepancies.

Music/Sound

(+) I'm not sure where the sources of the music are, but it sounds mostly pleasant and fits the atmosphere well.
(-) The UI sounds are somewhat grating. I recognize them as the common "sword" sound effects from RTP, but I don't think they are particularly good choices for menu sounds. It is honestly kinda hard on the ears.

Gameplay/Mechanics

(+) I liked how encounters were handled. Throughout the game you come across different zones that vary in types of enemies inhabiting them and how powerful they are. I always found myself tensing up when I am in a "danger zone."
(+) Some cutscenes are displayed through art works. It is a superior effort, even if they are few and far between and don't look amazing.
(-) Elements in the gameplay are a little subtle at times. The "mines" level in the game in particular caused me to grind my teeth in some moments, and it is here that I've actually stopped playing. As is common in RPGs, there are segments where you must traverse a pitch black dungeon with a tiny little light. I was never a fan of scenarios like this.
(-) Touching up on the subtlety factor, there was a point in the mines where I had to find a plank of wood to use on a hole. I actually did not realize that I had to do this for some reason, but then again, the plank of wood didn't stand out too much and didn't do anything when I tried interacting with it at a vertical face.
(-) Enemies are powerful, and while this can usually be the fault of the player for dragging his dick along danger zones for too long, there was a particular boss in the mines that attacked me six times. Count it. That's right. SIX TIMES. I've made it clear these multi-attack moves are ridiculous, but this goes above and beyond. When I got my first game over screen, I stared with jaw dropped at the screen for minutes. I tried a couple more times with different strategies, but the end result was always my poor ass on a platter.

Story/Literacy

(+) I don't have much to complain out concerning literacy. There are a few hiccups in grammar and misspellings. The main character has a strange and differing style of dialect to emphasize an accent, and it was pulled off consistently.
(-) The story is another weak point of the game. I'm not exactly sure what was supposed to be going on in this game. Other than some impulsive objectives, there didn't seem to be a central storyline here. It's about two gay vampires, pretty much. No one likes them much and like to get out ze pitchforks and ze torches. It wound up boring me not very far in and I wasn't sure if I even cared about the main characters at a point and, no, this has nothing to do with homophobia.
(-) In some points there are asterisks used in dialogue to express character actions. I don't feel this is necessary. It is awkward to read things like this and shows that the creator did not want to invest a little more effort into showing and not telling. Make your characters more animated!

That's about all I have for Nachtheulen in the categorized sections. Here are some other tidbits I want to cover:

- Back to the mines again! When I interacted with a hole, a message box came up, but nothing was in it. At first I had no idea what was being portrayed here, but eventually I realized that it's meant to bring up key items that you have. There should be something implemented in the system to avoid popping an empty message box up when you don't have anything. This will avoid confusion.
- You can still walk around while dialogue is going on. Is this meant to be? I think that this can be used for exploitation in some instances.

Nachteulen intrigued me at first with its nice looks and good first impression. It's not until later in the game that it began to really unveil its hideous visage. Things progressively got worse and worse, and then the final nail was struck when I came across the absolutely unfair boss fight. Sorry, SorceressKyrsty, I couldn't do it, but I at least hope that you consider the points I've made.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Completely fair enough! The game was made within a month-long time frame, so there are a few bugs to be ironed out. I'm a little bad with general direction, but I completely understand your points on the matter, and I don't think any of this is unfair.

Except, unless it was on the basis of checking out the gamepage, where I make it inherently obvious, Leander and Fionn aren't partners by this point in their story. Yes, eventually, but they're actually just friends. If they're coming across as together in their dialogue, I need to remedy it, since at this point it's strictly platonic between them.
author=SorceressKyrsty
Completely fair enough! The game was made within a month-long time frame, so there are a few bugs to be ironed out. I'm a little bad with general direction, but I completely understand your points on the matter, and I don't think any of this is unfair.

Except, unless it was on the basis of checking out the gamepage, where I make it inherently obvious, Leander and Fionn aren't partners by this point in their story. Yes, eventually, but they're actually just friends. If they're coming across as together in their dialogue, I need to remedy it, since at this point it's strictly platonic between them.

Yeah, during my playthrough I just had that impression of their relationship for one reason or another. I guess I'm just good at detecting that!
LordBlueRogue, it has proven challenging to write up a feedback since the game comes in such a small package, but what you've shown me here definitely did impress me in some areas. Unfortunately because of glitches I could not watch the entire thing and I wasn't about to start from the beginning again. You've asked for some feedback, so I'll offer you some I have written and meshed together to the best of my abilities.

Aesthetics/Map Design

(+) There's a load of custom graphical assets which actually look nice and fit well with each other. Were these graphics made by you? It was certainly impressive what I've seen in this area. No complaints at all.
(+) Everything feels fresh, from the entirety of the aesthetic quality to the unique style the game has. When I played it, I definitely got the feeling that it had its own style and system it was working with.
(-) Some parts of this project were hampered down by graphical issues. There were several instances where I'm sure some graphic pieces were not meant to hover downward on their own. For example, there was one scene where the two main characters' heads created a duplicate of themselves and sunk downward slightly. There was also an instance where sprites appeared below the floor layer. I ended my playthrough when I met the girl in the town and one of the characters phased below the floor.

Music/Sound

(+) I don't have any complaints about the music. I guess that happy adventure theme after killing the wildcat was a little awkward, but overall the music did not give me a bad impression.
(+) The game does have custom sounds. I don't know their source, but they are well used and sound appropriate to the visual style.

Gameplay/Mechanics

(+) I have nothing to note on the gameplay since there is hardly any at all, but the system the game uses is very special indeed. I don't think I've seen a project like this before and it's pretty ambitious.
(-) Like I mentioned before, I did not get around to seeing the entirety of the game because of glitches and bugs. The place where my character phased through the floor told me that either a move event collided and froze the game or I was simply stuck and could not move my character. I pressed X and wound up closing the game. What the fuck?

Story/Literacy

(+) I noticed some punctuation errors, but nothing too serious. The game is mostly literate.
(+) The dialogue of this game is pulled off surprisingly well. With the adventurous feeling the game gives you, the haughty, almost posh dialogue is easily forgivable.
(-) From what I played, I didn't find myself too interested by the story...or how much of it there really was. I thought about marking this down, but first impressions concerning storytelling is always important to me.

I really don't have any tidbits. I really like the style of this game and how it was created with RPG Maker 2003, but I was honestly hoping I'd get to have more control over things and actually get to play the majority of this. The screenshots had definitely captured my interest, so it was just a little disappointment. What you have here is very interesting, but you really need to iron out the graphical glitches and bugs - they're immersion breakers. The aesthetic quality and graphics are really nice and the style of the storytelling and cutscenes is really neat. I like what I've played so far and I wish I could've at least beaten what little there was of it. Ah well.

Regardless, keep up the good work!
I was waiting for the list to go down, but ehhhhh. May as well ask. Could you give Sacred Earth: Memory a try? Some additional feedback would be informative I think.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/5094/
I wish I could have seen how you played it so I could know what went wrong... I guess I'll have to bug test it a bit more then. I appreciate the feedback Fidechell!
author=Sated
Not having any games that are overlooked...

#FirstWorldProblems

Please take your douchery someplace else.

author=LordBlueRouge
I wish I could have seen how you played it so I could know what went wrong... I guess I'll have to bug test it a bit more then. I appreciate the feedback Fidechell!

I'm not sure how the problems translated without you knowing of them, but yeah, it needs some ironing out. Other than that, it's neat so far!
I'll put this one here. http://rpgmaker.net/games/5399/
I hope my angrish doesn't displeases you too mooch.

C:?,
OZ
Arandomgamemaker, because of an unfortunate freeze after a specific event, I was not able to complete your game, and seeing as how trudging through was a little daunting, I could not work up the motivation to play over again, despite the game's brevity. Despite that, I will write a feedback for you.

Aesthetics/Map Design
(+) For the style the game has, the map design is appropriately simple and not offensive in the slightest.
(-) I am under the notion that A Wizard's Quest is meant to undergo a largely retro, 8-bit look, but even with this style, one can do a lot better in the realm of detail. A Wizard's Quest has a very simplistic value palette and can be considered a bit of an eye sore thanks to its flatness.
(-) The colors of the game are very vibrant and off-putting. There is not a careful balance in saturation, and as a result, it's not very pleasing to look at.
(-) Character sprites are very simple-looking, and while this should compliment the simplistic style overall, it actually does not...well not the monster sprites at least. They do not look skillfully drawn and stand out like a sore thumb considering how big and stretched they look in comparison to the hero sprites.

Music/Sound
(+) I found the music of A Wizard's Quest to be surprisingly nice and easy to listen to. The tunes I heard in my duration of play were not chiptunes, which is a plus in my book! You'd think it'd fit a game with this retro style, but I much prefer what was offered instead.
(+) Game sound consist of RTP sound effects, used to decent form!

Gameplay/Mechanics
(+) One thing I was pleasantly surprised to find out in A Wizard's Quest was that it included a custom battle system, which definitely deserves mention. It's really simple, like everything else in the game, but it's mostly functional.
(+) In the battle system, companion AI is mostly competent and will even buff and heal you!
(-) Unfortunately, there are a few bugs to be found in the battle system. Just for an example, there seems to be a problem concerning destroying a boss with any ability that is not the standard "Attack" move. The boss health will stall around 1 hp and never die. Not even allies can finish the boss off. This could have led to disaster in some instances.
(-) Concerning "buffing," I don't think that this ability actually does anything. There have been instances where the boss will maintain regular attack points after having been buffed. It seems like a big waste of a turn to me.

Story/Literacy
(+) This game is a host to a handful of characters, one being the obvious protagonist (a Wizard. Wow!) and two random people he elected to accompany him in this quest for revenge. While the dialogue and characters themselves have a lot of room to be more fleshed out, I feel that there has still been some effort in some form of characterization, telling by scenes that you get when you stay at the Inn. You will have a short little scene in which you have a conversation with a character to help get a little insight to what they are like.
(+) Literacy in A Wizard's Quest is top-notch, with good grammar and spelling to drive along whatever story there is...that having been said...
(-) The story of the game is near non-existent, but there is a pretty set goal here. Collect some items and kill the big bad guy. I'm sure the story was not a focal point in this game's production, but it really would have helped maintain more interest.

It's unfortunate, again, that the game had to freeze on me. Just for your information, Arandomgamemaker, this incident occurred after the scene where I have a conversation with Endr(?) after staying at the inn.

In your request, I felt you were wondering why your game wasn't receiving much attention. I hope that the feedback I have provided will give you this answer. 95% of the people here will outright never speak of your game again or bring up the error and simply abandon a game, but that is partially why I'm doing this in the first place. If you are serious about wanting A Wizard's Quest to get more attention (I'm sure you do since you posted in this topic), then I recommend you be serious about following what I've written and make the proper adjustments and improvements to the game.
Kory_Toombs, seeing as how your game, Demonic Tutor, is complete, I was hoping I could get through unscathed and finally write another review. This did not happen. I haven't posted in a while, and this game is the cause of it. I kept going on and off and just flat out felt uninterested in making progress on the game. True to my word, even if I haven't been unable to complete your completed game, I will write out a complete feedback touching on what I have completed.

Aesthetics/Map Design

(+) The game has custom graphics. This is good I suppose. There are some larger character busts that serve as a face graphic in some scenes, although they do hover a bit over the message box and that serves to be distracting.
(-) Some maps are very blocky and tilesets are not used to fuller potential. Some tilesets do not clash together very well at all and look downright ugly in terms of layout rather than design.
(-) There are clipping issues and bad tile assignments up the ass, making navigation annoying in many instances.
(-) Some interiors look a little too spatious from what their outside shows.
(-) The world of Demonic Tutor is somewhat lifeless. Characters are hardly animated and things are a little too still. It's a boring slog having to traverse the areas in the game because of this.
(-) Maps seem to be very cut up for little to no good reason at all. It would really be more commendable if you could have just merged four maps into one.

Music/Sound

(+) Music sounds mostly alright. I've heard a few tunes here from someplace else.
(-) The music is not used effectively and, like the tilesets, not to their highest potential. Oftentimes you will be hearing the same song until you get to another area altogether. They even keep playing in cutscenes, which hurts the narrative. I'll touch up on this later.

Gameplay/Mechanics

(+) There are custom systems, which is very welcome! They are mostly harbored in the custom battle system, which includes neat things like enemy health bars and new text box layouts.
(+) I cannot make a comment on the difficulty of the game, because the game actually gives you an option to change up the difficulty in the beginning! Although, this convenient little system proves to be worth little as I will also touch up on soon.
(-) In Demonic Tutor, there really isn't much to do other than interact with shops, NPCs, and pick up sidequests. There are chests here and there too, but that's an RPG staple. Optional tasks are hardly worth it. One sidequest in particular was hugely absurd, asking me to trek through three dungeon areas I already went through.
(-) Dungeons themselves are a huge slog and no-brainers. Find a switch, activate it, open a door. There are also "puzzles" I've seen in every fucking game before. While these puzzles in themselves aren't terrible, it really all comes down to execution, and Demonic Tutor makes no effort in this regard.
(-) The battle system is bugged. Sometimes I cannot go back to the main battle menu and sometimes I am stuck in escape mode. The game does not let me retract from this mode either. This happens especially if one of your party members is dead. At first I thought it was intentional since it makes sense you wouldn't just abandon your teammate.
(-) Difficulty is heavily ramped around the later portion of the game, with enemies that somehow pull off FOUR OR FIVE attacks at once, a good handful of these attacks causing status ailments. When I fought the chinese imperial dude, or tried to, that's when the final nail on the coffin was hit, and I just could not progress any longer.

Story/Literacy

(-) Demonic Tutor has a large amount of spelling errors, thus giving the game a very bad outlook. Spelling and grammar is important, kids.
(-) Not even the writing of this game is decent. It's not horrible, but it's definitely below average. The writing makes the game come off as something written by a middle-schooler. It just isn't impressive in the slightest. Everything that everyone says is uninteresting. Reading over dialogue alolud is a good way to figure out if it sounds natural, and I would highly suggest doing this, Toombs.
(-) The game's pacing as far as cutscenes are concerned is not very well done. Everything in the game seems to happen too quickly and there is little effort put into making sitting through cutscenes interesting. As I've stated above, the characters are hardly animated and it's unforgivably BORING, all in all.
(-) The story is tough to really get engaged with. It's intriguing how you switch between characters (although this is weird in gameplay design since you get the items and shit you had on the previous characters you were playing) but there are no unique, memorable qualities about them, and the writing really hurts this. Here is how I classify the characters in my party: Vince is the Marty Sam, cookie-cutter RPG protagonist we've come to know. Hope is the good wifey who hardly gets any say in anything. Thest/Threst is the pretty-boy, peace-loving fruit basket. Cid is the guy who has the really cool overpowered move. Geri or Jeri or whatever the fuck is the really annoying bitchy cunt who I should've left in the prison. And Max is just some angry guy.

That's Demonic Tutor. It's overlooked for good reason, apparently. I am regretful that I did not get to finish this game, but at the same time I am not. There is hardly anything captivating about this RPG, and it really shows. If this game means anything to you, Kory_Toombs, I would suggest a revamp. In its current state, I don't see how anyone can legitimately enjoy this.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Thanks for your feedback. I actually didn't know you were playing the game until I received the message in my inbox (Because you never really responded in your thread.)

I'm a little surprised you found the story so boring, since most people have been saying that this was the strongest point of the game (Though some wanted some characters to be more fleshed out.) I think most criticism I have received has been about my bland combat system (People have noted that the characters don't start out with any skills, others don't like the ATB, or the MP kill thing.)

This is probably the most detailed feedback I have gotten on any of my games. Thanks for taking the time to play it. (Could you post it on my game thread so that I can more easily find it for future reference, it also gives others a chance to read it and respond to it as well.)

Thanks for your feedback. I actually didn't know you were playing the game until I received the message in my inbox (Because you never really responded in your thread.)

I usually don't submit a post declaring my step towards the next game. That's what I have the queue in the first post for.

I'm a little surprised you found the story so boring, since most people have been saying that this was the strongest point of the game (Though some wanted some characters to be more fleshed out.)

I didn't really say the story itself was boring (just tough for me to really maintain interest in), just the characters and the cutscenes. There is little room for character development, and that's what really makes the characters uninteresting, not the personalities. The story itself is somewhat decent, but very plain. It's a very common RPG story, nothing more.

I think most criticism I have received has been about my bland combat system (People have noted that the characters don't start out with any skills, others don't like the ATB, or the MP kill thing.)

I thought those combat quirks were actually refreshing. I managed to kill a few bosses with focus on depleting MP. I will agree about the lack of starting skills though.

This is probably the most detailed feedback I have gotten on any of my games. Thanks for taking the time to play it. (Could you post it on my game thread so that I can more easily find it for future reference, it also gives others a chance to read it and respond to it as well.)

You're welcome.

You mean as a review? I'm sorry, but no. I am reserving reviews for... actual reviews only.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

No, not review. Just copy and paste this on the game page thread.

The game page has a summary, latest blog, and posts. Just submit the post on that part, not as a review.
author=Fidchell
Reading over dialogue alolud is a good way to figure out if it sounds natural, and I would highly suggest doing this

This is good advice. I tend to do this all the time, and it helps.