OUT OF CONTROL COPS - A SERIOUS PROBLEM IN AMERICA

Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
just because one "whitewashed" black person states an opinion (that happens to be one you & other white people agree with), does not mean that another black person or the majority of the african american community agrees with it, or that it is in any way, shape, or form, correct or well-founded.

white people who aren't disabled/queer/destitute/whatever are very unlikely (almost never) to face any police brutality... they're going to be treated respectfully and the police force (which the majority of its members are of similar demographics) are going to see them as human and sympathize with them more.

to even assert that white lives aren't considered the most valuable lives in western society is beyond ignorant. white lives aren't likely to be considered "less valuable", even by people of color, in western society for a very long time, if ever. of course everyone has their own racial pride and favors their own race but that is only to a certain extent.

trying to downplay race's impact on police brutality makes almost no sense either. a VERY disproportionate amount of police brutality victims are black americans, both men and women. i don't have the receipts or the will to find them, but it is very easy to find the statistics from various sources that support that common knowledge.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
white people who aren't disabled/queer/destitute/whatever are very unlikely (almost never) to face any police brutality... they're going to be treated respectfully and the police force (which the majority of its members are of similar demographics) are going to see them as human and sympathize with them more.

Sorry Adon this is bullshit. Look at the fucking gif at the start of this thread and you see an able bodied straight white cisman like I mean a college bro who might as well be wearing his "privilege" v-neck being choked by a cop for literally no fucking reason. A cop destroyed this able bodied white cis woman's face for shits and giggles.

Police brutality effects everyone. It effects poor black and brown people disproportionately more than anyone else.

But very unlikely? "Almost never?" No fucking way. I did not have to search far and wide to find those examples. Not even close.
author=Max McGee
Link2112, John Crawford III was just in a Wal Mart like those white women, not pointing the airsoft gun--which he picked up in that store-- at anyone. He was wandering around with it pointed at the ground while talking on a cell phone. This is clear if you watch the surveillance video.

Why do you think he was shot and those white women weren't?
That is a terrible story. I can't argue against that. But there is one vast difference besides race. Those women do not have the guns in their hands. The fucking assault rifles are iffy, but the other two have them "holstered". The older lady is the only one who's doing it right, though. I'm not suggesting anything other than there is a difference between holding a gun in the ready position as opposed to it being "holstered".

I'm sure you can find an example of a woman holding a gun in her hands and nothing happening, or a black man with a holstered gun getting shot. I can only speak to the information you originally presented. Not that it matters but I really wouldn't want to be handling a gun like Crawford was regardless of any factors like race or location. It just seems like a bad idea. (please don't accuse me of siding with the cops for saying that)

It shouldn't be like this, but you know in the meantime people should be careful with what they do because you can't trust other people.
author=Link_2112
author=Max McGee
Link2112, John Crawford III was just in a Wal Mart like those white women, not pointing the airsoft gun--which he picked up in that store-- at anyone. He was wandering around with it pointed at the ground while talking on a cell phone. This is clear if you watch the surveillance video.

Why do you think he was shot and those white women weren't?
That is a terrible story. I can't argue against that. But there is one vast difference besides race. Those women do not have the guns in their hands. The fucking assault rifles are iffy, but the other two have them "holstered". The older lady is the only one who's doing it right, though. I'm not suggesting anything other than there is a difference between holding a gun in the ready position as opposed to it being "holstered".

I'm sure you can find an example of a woman holding a gun in her hands and nothing happening, or a black man with a holstered gun getting shot. I can only speak to the information you originally presented. Not that it matters but I really wouldn't want to be handling a gun like Crawford was regardless of any factors like race or location. It just seems like a bad idea. (please don't accuse me of siding with the cops for saying that)

It shouldn't be like this, but you know in the meantime people should be careful with what they do because you can't trust other people.

They had been told that it was a toy before going to get him. They also gave him no time to do anything before shooting him down. He didn't even realise they were there, talking on the phone as he was - to his lady, who had to hear him shot and killed.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Here's a new one!

Man in his home when SWAT broke in unannounced and opened fire unannounced. He was shot in the back multiple times and in the back of the head. Autopsy shows that no bullet hit him in the front and he was on the floor when they struck him. Who wants to forgive this one because of SWAT's stressful job? Oh, guess what, the man didn't have the drugs they were looking for and was a military contractor who had to regularly pass background checks and drug tests.

Did you know that members New England SWAT teams admit that their organizations were formed during the 60s expressly for the purpose of pursuing and punishing lawful civil disobedience?
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Adon237
to even assert that white lives aren't considered the most valuable lives in western society is beyond ignorant. white lives aren't likely to be considered "less valuable", even by people of color, in western society for a very long time, if ever. of course everyone has their own racial pride and favors their own race but that is only to a certain extent.

The answer to solving problems isn't causing new ones i.e. antagonizing white people. I understand - it's socially acceptable to be racist against whites, the kind of bigotry that white racism represents will not be discouraged on this forum, I'm going to be told I'm not allowed to be offended because I'm white, and it's not even considered racism by some especially wacky characters. But lay off the white racism, it's REALLY GETTING OLD.

Seriously, I'm getting really tired of it. Knock it off. I don't care how privileged you think I am, nothing justifies racial bigotry and hate.

Just be a decent person. Just because you can does not mean you should.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
how was he at all being racist towards whites. if you are saying he is racist you are also perhaps saying statistics are racist. and why is that all you seem to care about
harmonic
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
how was he at all being racist towards whites. if you are saying he is racist you are also perhaps saying statistics are racist. and why is that all you seem to care about

That post quoted him, but it was directed at everyone who is pulling the white privilege card every 0.000005 seconds.

I care about it because I am offended by the concept of white privilege. We have the privilege not to be offended when people hate us and discriminate against us because of our race. To claim that, by birth, we have it easier and thus aren't allowed to organize, and don't deserve any breaks, is racist. I'm sorry, I cannot change my race.

If I were black, you wouldn't think twice. You'd be too scared to say anything. I would have immunity and any bigotry against me would be punished by a forum ban. But since I'm white, you have the freedom - no - the impetus to shit all over me.

So since I'm a human, who is a race, allow me to be offended by racism toward my race.

Anyone who thinks someone else doesn't deserve to be offended by bigotry specifically directed at them is a complete asshole.
Adon237
bigotry does not equal racism... those aren't the same thing.

racism is the institutional & systematic, economic & social oppression of a race by another race

bigotry is intolerance of other people who have either different opinions AND/OR do not share the same identities as they do

also i'm white
harmonic
author=Adon237
racism is the institutional & systematic, economic & social oppression of a race by another race

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Also, affirmative action, racial hiring quotas, non-existent race-based college scholarships (they exist for everyone else) and higher test standards for whites for government employment is institutional, systematic, and economic racism.

Being white doesn't give you immunity from being racist against whites. Everyone already knows that being any other race doesn't give you immunity from being racist against your own race - but for some reason obvious double standards have to be pointed out.

I have to wonder where ya'll live sometimes. Some magical land where all the whites are living in palaces automatically by birth? I live in the butthole of Seattle. two steps outside and I'm swimming in an ocean of homeless white people.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
To claim that, by birth, we have it easier and thus aren't allowed to organize, and don't deserve any breaks, is racist.

i guess it's lucky for you then that not one person in this thread has said anything remotely close to that
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
Also, affirmative action, racial hiring quotas, and higher test standards for whites for government employment is institutional, systematic, and economic racism.

oh boy.
harmonic
Okay Cave_Dog, I guess white racism doesn't exist. I'll change from now on.
author=Adon237

bigotry is intolerance of other people who have either different opinions AND/OR do not share the same identities as they do

also i'm white

No. Racism is a belief that some races are inferior/superior to others. If this belief is perpetuated/accepted in society and/or enforced by law, it is systematic oppression of a race.

Yes, racism and bigotry are different. Being bigoted against someone because of their race is being racist, but you can be bigoted for other reasons.
Max McGee
author=Link2112

idk man like i am not sure 'swinging around a toy gun in one hand idly while shopping' is worse than 'having a real actual assault rifle hanging precariously on a strap from your back fat while shopping'.

I agree with you that the lady with the holster is the only one doing open carry even close to right.

author=harmonic
Okay Cave_Dog, I guess white racism doesn't exist. I'll change from now on.

Harmonic we've been over this before so I know you understand.

Racism against white folks does totally exist and is perpetrated by all kinds of people, including white folks and is not excused by the invocation of past grievances.

However, it's unilaterally less serious in its impact than the massive social harm caused by institutional racism over the years.

author=harmonic
Also, affirmative action, racial hiring quotas, non-existent race-based college scholarships (they exist for everyone else) and higher test standards for whites for government employment is institutional, systematic, and economic racism.

Strictly speaking, that isn't racism because it does not arise from a belief that whites are inferior. So to be clear, set against white people we have an institutional bias that isn't racism, and we have racism that isn't institutional. And that's already pretty bad.

While I agree that all of that is super problematic, it just doesn't matter as much as the epidemic of police officers cavalierly murdering black people without consequences from a justice system that seems not to value black lives. While I agree with you that all of those issues are fucking bullshit that piss me off, please don't mention it again in this thread.

I think conversations break down because SJWs/leftists get tired of anti-SJWs insisting that the existence of "reverse" racism (disclaimer: I HATE that term) be acknowledged in every conversation that touches on race and anti-SJWs get tired of SJWs/leftists refusing to ever acknowledge it in any conversation.

author=Adon

You've got your semantics wrong, bud. Just google the definition of racism and you'll see that. If for instance your dad hates black people that's still racist even though your dad is neither in control of nor influenced by institutional, systematic, economic or social systems. Racism has a broad definition.

author=Adon
also i'm white

Not gonna lie, this does not exactly shock me.

If Yellow Magic's "Favorite Thing" is still white people arguing about race on the internet, this thread must be like Christmas every day for him.
Adon237
i think i'm starting to see why arguing about race over the internet is a futile thing to do, but it doesn't help that our opinions on racism are extremely inflexible and ingrained into our mindsets already

first, i don't really care how shocked you are about my race, an overwhelming amount of people on this website are white heterosexual males... i was accused of being "racist" against white people which doesn't make any sense, even without considering that i am white...

"the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races." this sounds more like racial theory to me

regardles of your rigid and (quite frankly archaic) definition of racism, my wording for racism is more reflective of what is actually considered racist. the oxford dictionary definition of "racism" is too white-influenced.

a black man can believe he is superior to white people as much as he wants, but that isn't going to stop the political, economic, and social obstacles racism has generated that he must face. however, if a white man does the same racism will only fuel his efforts more, because he is on the oppressing side. it was designed to benefit those of his kind.

racial minorities can not oppress the racial majority in the united states because they aren't a statistical minority that possesses power over the statistical majority (like in south africa, where the smaller white population had power over the larger black population). to suggest white people in America can (currently or have been so far) be the victims of racism is to suggest that racial minorities have some sort of social, economic, or institutional power over white people. which isn't true.

if my white father hated black people, he would be racist. he would support the system that works against african americans. if he acted upon his racist thoughts, he would be an active participant in a racist system instead of a passive one. he is white, and white people as a race are the race that has the political/social/economic power. no single white person can change the balance of power or how it is used, it has to be a group effort...

bigotry against white people because of their race does exist in america, but they aren't being racially oppressed. bigotry isn't any more acceptable than racism, but it also doesn't have all of the very severe effects racism does, and seems to be a reaction from minorities because of racism from white people.
author=Adon237
to suggest white people in America can (currently or have been so far) be the victims of racism is to suggest that racial minorities have some sort of social, economic, or institutional power over white people. which isn't true.

White people won't be a victim of racism as in them having their rights taken away, but individual black people can absolutely be racist against white people, as racism is a personal belief. Everything you described is oppression and systemic racism, which can occur when most people have racist beliefs.

author=Adon237
if my white father hated black people, he would be racist. he would support the system that works against african americans. if he acted upon his racist thoughts, he would be an active participator in racism instead of a passive one. he is white, and white people as a race are the race that has the political/social/economic power. no single white person can change the balance of power or how it is used, it has to be a group effort...

similarly, a black person who hates white people is bigoted. bigotry is more general than racism is, and often extends outside of race, and it can't NOT be applied to people. bigotry against white people because of their race does exist in america, but they aren't being racially oppressed. bigotry isn't any more acceptable than racism, but it also doesn't have all of the very severe effects racism does, and seems to be a reaction from minorities because of racism from white people.

So:
"I hate all black people" = racist
"I hate all white people" = not racist
How silly.
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
Ya know what people, better hiring and training of police officers is really, really needed..BUT, after reading these two articles, I still feel the same BUT those people protesting for the deaths of a few who died and should not have should be locked up and retrained on those who give their lives to "serve and protect".

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/385458/cop-killed-every-58-hours-michelle-malkin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

http://www.odmp.org/search/year/2014
Max McGee
regardles of your rigid and (quite frankly archaic) definition of racism, my wording for racism is more reflective of what is actually considered racist. the oxford dictionary definition of "racism" is too white-influenced.

fuck this. this is bullshit SJW diarrhea logic and I hate it with every fiber of my being.

white people as a race are the race that has the political/social/economic power

Whether this statement is true or not depends on where and when you are talking about in space and time. But if you are positing it in the context of a universal constant throughout world history, then I must insist it is absolutely false.

Anyway, I guess Linkis has got us back on the topic of cops so that's good. Let's try to stick with that for a while please.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
i could have sworn this thread was a discussion of police brutality/reform, at one point. thanik god we have something more important to focus on now