FINAL FANTASY: RECORD KEEPER

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Okay, third time's a charm. Edge's and Golbez' crystals are mine. I got lucky this time, because Black Dragon used regular attacks for like five turns, allowing me to kill him without anyone dying. I think my mistake last time was that I immediately wanted to get my KO'd units back on their feet, rather than killing the dragon first and reviving the casualties afterwards. Also, this time, I brought Rosa with me for some Diaga action and used the RW on the Calca and Brina, saving Rydia's Ruinga uses, which definitely helped. Oh, and I also broke Kain's level cap, making his jumps pretty destructive.
author=Craze
Nope, it's "NAT" and thus cannot be avoided by anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3zz2kq/the_burning_blade_enemy_stats_and_ai/

That's pretty lame. Good thing the final boss of this event isn't an Ultimate Golbez with KO medals then.

I saw on reddit they're releasing some kind of job-like system, so that's neat.
Well, I decided to use my 50 mythril anyway. And it worked out pretty splendidly. Got two Shadowblades, a Healing Staff, and some red dagger I've already forgotten the name of. Never gotten four 5-star items in a single pull so that's just spectacular, even if I was hoping most for Golbez's armor, Tellah's staff, and Edward's harp... Can never be upset about getting more swords, since Final Fantasy is always about sword users.

I decided to combine my Shadowblades and feed them my Rosetta Stones, since it's my first 5+ item. I have two Kung Fu Gi and two Boon Guns but I kept them separate since I lack armor and weapons in those realms.

I also got a couple important 4-star items: two FF6 Crystal Helms. I always use the one that I have in FF6 content, so being able to fully upgrade it is awesome.

I was kind of wanting to save up and pull twice on FF9 instead, but I guess that's no longer going to happen.

Oh, neat. The limit break on Shadowblade is quite good and is my only +Attack buff. This will probably modify my Rubicante strategy into a physical spellblade one. Maybe Drunk Cecil with Shadowblade and Barrage, Bartz with Dark Sword and Watera Strike/Steal Power, Cecil with Elven Crossbow and Shellga/Curaja plus Hand of the Victor RM, Celes with Blizzara Strike (and her default Magic Shield limit break, +50% Resist for 25 seconds that stacks with everything but Bracing Bash), and Rosa with Healing Staff and Diaga/Magic Breakdown. I don't know yet, but that is sounding pretty decent. Are there any Dragoons or Spellblades that can use Armor Breakdown that I'm not thinking of? I can also swap Rosa for Y'shtola and have Stoneskin instead of a big heal, but I am assuming I will lose damage medals no matter what and would rather have the extra damage from a synergized Diaga. Not sure what I'll do for an RW yet. Maybe Runic to deal with Firaga counters or something.

Holy moley, Drunk Cecil has 471 Attack and that's with a shield equipped--not a helm or bracer. Egged him quite a bit because he only does one thing, and I want him to do that thing really well. Blasted through the boss rush and killed Odin before he could raise his sword, such that I missed the Lightning medals but mastered it anyway. Will have to do the next boss--who I've never even heard of--when I wake up.

Healing Staff actually has pretty respectable Magic on it, and is my highest Magic weapon when accounting for synergy, so I've been using it on Tellah who's filling a true sage role. It's not as Mind/Magic balanced as Thyrus and Lullaby Rod, though. Thyrus's Magic is actually surprising since Y'shtola isn't much of a black mage.

This is my setup for the weird boss I've never heard of. How sick is this synergy? Almost full natural 5-star weapons and armor. Complete overkill and I should've saved mythril for Beatrix.

Full medals on Geryon with the above party. Drunk Cecil was hitting for 4.7k per Barrage hit. Even Rosa was hitting for 5.9k with Magic Breakdown. Hand of the Emperor and the Shadowblade limit break proved an excellent combo. I think FF4 just one-upped FF6 as my strongest record synergy.
Craze
Holy shit that synergy.

I hadn't thought about Hand of the Victor for Rubicante... good idea. I wish that would have somehow been useful against Ultimate Yunalesca with all her Osmose shenanigans. (I championed Ultimate Yunalesca, somehow. It's nice to finally have a use for Tyro with the soul break RMs.)

Rosa isn't required for anything, hopefully? Tellah and his Polymorph Staff is gonna be my healer I'm sure. Both my FF4 weapons are mage stuff (I also have the Ice Whip; yes I am so ready for Rubicante), so those characters are the leveled ones besides RM3'd Pecil. Kain, Edward, FuSoYa and Golbez are lagging behind. Rosa's at L1 and I left for work right before I could do the stage for Edge. I'll probably egg Edge since he's required and his new ninja magic should be useful for Rubicante. Will probably use Edge/Pecil/Tellah/Rydia and then Tyro or Cloud depending on if I want a 2x spellblades with L80 stats, or a spellblade and full break with Sentinel Grimoire but shitty stats even for a L65 character...
I used almost the same party as Geryon to take on Rubicante because it seemed strong enough and I wasn't in the mood to go through all the menus. The only differences were that Bartz replaced Edge, bringing with him Blizzara Strike and Steal Defense (Steal Power and Shadowblade limit break don't play well together). Cecil replaced Esuna with Curaja, and replaced Barrage RM with Hand of the Victor (which hits for 9999--triggered twice). Tellah used a +Healing RM and gave his Dragon Gloves to Drunk Cecil (who had 508 Attack), and then equipped a Black Robe so I could spread the Resist stat around which Genji Shield has very little of. And Drunk Cecil replaced Armor Break with... I don't even remember. I used Lunatic High as my RW.

This really wasn't an optimal group. It would probably be better with Cecil sporting Lure Magic to deal with Firaga counters, but the real missing ingredient is Stoneskin or Sentinel's Guard, because there's just a lot of damage in general. I still mastered it but Cecil and Tellah were healing way more than attacking and Rosa had to use her group heal twice. I really thought I wasn't going to master it because I wasted so many turns healing. I think a magic party would be the easier route overall, since you avoid the counters. I still think Celes is a good idea to consider, and she's still available even if you go with a mage party since she can equip rods. I think I may try some different party variations to see what is the smoothest, including my original spellblade-heavy idea.

Craze, since you have Tyro's SG he would make a good steal guy for you instead of Edge. You can set him up basically the same way except give him a +magic weapon instead so that Water Veil hits harder. I don't think you need Paladin Cecil either, unless you're unable to field Shellga any other way.
Craze
Oh, I didn't realize that Edge wasn't required for Rubicante, being the vengeance battle for his parents and all that. I'll almost certainly use Pecil/Tellah/Rydia/Tyro/<Celes or Cloud> then. Celes's SB stacks with SG and is more useful against him than Pecil's, I would think (also I have Sentinel from Lustrous Shield).
Without knowing more, I am thinking a good group would be Tellah, Tyro, Celes, Rydia, and Terra. At this point you should have two 3++ Ice Rods if you've kept them all, which allows you to field two mages with suped up ice magic. I think no matter what you want a dedicated healer.

Tellah - Curaja / Shellga
Tyro - Steal Power / Water Veil
Celes - Blizzaja / Curaga
Rydia - Shiva / Waterja
Terra - Blizzaga / Magic Breakdown

Ah... I didn't know you had Lustrous Shield. What's the duration on it anyway? And does it draw non-black magic spells? Lure Magic won't grab Inferno, which you'll be seeing a lot of. You could also use Quistis instead of Terra to cover your Breakdown.
Craze
Done up to the bonus battles in Edge's event. Now farming more mythril because i did a 50 pull on Lightning banner 1... got a 4* and 10 3*s. Welp. I already have a 4++ Black Robe (FF4) that I don't use anyway...

At 39 myth, shouldn't be that hard. (Yes, I grabbed all of Fang's Oath myth already), but...
I think I'm at like 30 Mythril or so, saving for FF9. I am not sure which banner to pull on, though. Beatrix's sword and Quina's spear look great, but as always I could use more mage gear and the second banner is loaded up. I also have 100 Gems leftover from that pack I got for my FF4 pull, so I'll have to use that at some point.

I've cleared everything that's available now, so I'm just waiting on the bonus battles.

Due to all of that free FF13 gear, my synergy isn't too shabby. I went ahead and combined my Boon Guns for Lightning and gave Sazh the New Years one. Bartz is using the pumpkin ball because it doesn't make sense to give it to Hope, who lacks physical abilities. I've got a 4++ fist for Snow and a 4++ staff for Vanille, in addition to Snow's ice punch armor. This should be fine.

I think Fang will be required for some bonus battles so she'll be lacking in the weapon department, but my 5+(+15) Shadowblade should be plenty serviceable, sporting about 140 Attack.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I think I should start using armor and mental breakdown more often. What 4* or 5* support character do you recommend for my main party? Rosa loses all of her usefulness if you give her both armor and mental breakdown, so...

It should probably be a 5* support character, right? If I ever get the orbs to make full break, that'll free up another ability spot.
Craze

well i still don't have a Hope SB, but Tigerclaw and one of my two 5* FFXIII bangles is more than good enough for him (dunno how Tigerclaw compares to Vanille's first relic stat-wise, but the SB might be better than Hope's default. Maybe. Hope's default isn't the worst).

i hope fang likes eggs....

jeroean, use Faris. She's the best.

rubicante is giving me such shit but i'll put this fucker in his grave >=| that fucking hp% Blaze or w/e is killer. i can get him down to 10% so i'm pretty sure my setup can do it but... ouihasnlkfdfrw (i wound up using cloud (75) over celes (55) because the actual spell damage is no problem at all)
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Yowza. I only got the Oerba's Boon rod from my 11-pull. Which, granted, isn't bad; now I have that + Boon (the regular one), and I can bring in Y'shtola as a healer or RW too if I'm feeling extra saucy about defenses.

I didn't even bother with last week's challenge events (I have never used Decil anyway.) I am thankful that I can cheese so many of this week's with Draw Fire + Retaliate, however.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The best support characters are definitely Faris and Vaan, but if you happen to get a weapon with a unique soul break for a different support user, it's worth using them instead.

I beat Ultimate Rubicante. Tried once with a mostly physical team of Pecil, Cloud and Kain, plus a mage and healer. Three of my characters were able to do 9000 damage per hit to the boss, but holy shit I could not survive. He randomly counterattacks physical damage which made me upset. Had to give up.

Tried again with a team of two black mages, one red mage, one white mage, and Faris with Magic Breakdown + Steal. Apparently if you steal from Rubicante while his cloak is up, he lowers it (thanks for nothing, Dr. Mog). So much easier, but it still cost me a couple mythril. It looks like all the superbosses will probably need two healers, at this rate.

The fact that the person who researches the boss AI for all the events, and makes the giant posts about them on Reddit, is also a player on my online FF fan-game is very nice for me. He talks about it there a lot. He also does the same level of research about my game, and has established a reputation for always being right about everything, and for knowing more about my game than me.
Craze
Haha, I didn't know that re: the redditor. That's cool.

I'm still on Rubicante. Had to give up the s/l for a bit.

Deltree, I'm not sure why you can't do the boss rush at least? It actively punishes mages. The only spell I brought was R2 Bioga on Tellah (with Hidden Power + his Font of Wisdom SB). Decil/Pecil/Faris/Tidus/Tellah did WORK.

Edit: Pecil, not Edge. I needed Shellga. I was thinking about Shadowsteel on Edge for THAT FUCKING GERYON fight, i actually need to redo it for mastery now that i've egged edge to 60 asndfosfnosnlkniokwe
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Haha, I think I tried and got chewed up by the last boss, and never went back to it. Maybe I'll try again after I recoup some stamina, if it's not too late. Apparently I didn't even finish the elites, so I must have been thinking of the last one. Chalk it up to my apathy of FF4 in general, I guess. What can I say; I was a Sega kid.
I got lucky and Shadowsteel worked on Geryon on the first turn.

Anyway, I've already done the bonus battles up to Ultimate Bart, which I'm 37 stamina short of. I suspect I'll make my attempt on Monday though, to give my party a bit of an XP boost. Even a boss rush version of Brynhildr is a bitch... She dies quickly but she still took Vanille with her. She got off two AoE physical attacks before I could act which is always a bummer, and I just couldn't catch up on healing before somebody got put away. Warmech is as impossible to get damage medals against as ever, using Wave Cannon about 80% of the time. Cid was pretty easy and his dispel timing was pretty lucky, since I was mid-Boon cast when he used it.

Craze, what is Rubi getting you with? What is happening at 10% exactly? If he's finishing you with Blaze then bring a Hymn of the Fayth or Princess's Favor RW, or whatever Lenna's Cura+Regen one was called. If you're running out of abilities than use higher hones, bring a +Damage RW of some flavor, use higher damaging abilities, etc.
Craze
I have tons of ability uses left. Hones aren't an issue. It's that fucking Blaze =P HotF wasn't enough so I tried smacking Renewing Cure on Pecil to help fill in the gaps and let me use a Boon RW. I've tried HotF, Boon, Black Fang...

Blaze is just such an anti-fun ability in an otherwise engaging fight. I've decided to just skip it. Really shitty design, imo, especially when turn-counting and all that is knuckle-biting-but-logical fun.

I did my 100 gems pull on Fang banner 2. Got Paladin, giving me two SBs for Snow. Felt lucky and did 300 gems on Lightning banner 1. Got a second Wyrmfang, so now I have an insane Mind stick (120!!!). My FFXIII synergy is so good, probably because it's what I do most of my rolls on...

Lightning: 6* Blazefire Sabre (max augments!)
Vanille: Deprotectga Staff, 6* Wyrmfang
Snow: Froststrike Light Armor, Paladin
Fang: Glaive
Hope: None for the sweet prince...
Sazh: None :<
Special event: The party gun, pumpkinhead, witch hat
Generic 5*: Golden Bracer, Tungsten Bracer, Tiger Fang, Feral Pride

That's a 5* for every slot <3

Only other realm that comes close is FFX (5 relics).

I plan on dropping 100 gems + 5 myth on each ff9 banner in hopes of something useful. If I somehow have 50, I might drop it on Beatrix for the potential synergy but I doubt I will have enough. Yuffie banners look pretty shitty, thankfully. FF12 is sooo tempting but i'll probably just draw 1-3 times on each despite my runeblade hardon.
Instead of Renewing Cure on Pretty Cecil, give him Curaja. Also, if you're using a physical party then Boon kind of neutralizes itself since you provoke counter attacks, so either go magic or drop Hastega effects in favor of maybe Amarant's Aura. Also, your synergy is dope. I don't think you're lucky so much as you've pulled on FF13 quite a bit, similar to how I've pulled on FF6 a lot. Conversely, I've never done a single FF13 pull and got all of my items on that first lucky draw festival. My FF7 synergy, on the other hand, is pure luck since most of the FF7 items I have came on non-FF7 banners.

So I went ahead and did Ultimate Bart, since my character levels seemed fine. This is the party I mastered it with:

Kind of a strange party. I used Retaliate so that Sazh and Y'shtola could deal more damage during their free turns, but mostly so that I could avoid getting Boon, Protectga, and Stoneskin dispelled by Bart's counterattacks. Cloud may be a better choice here--I never compared to see if the pumpkin ball synergy makes up for Tyro's stat deficiency compared to a Shadowblade with 142 base Attack... but in hindsight I am guessing it does not. Could've also given him my 5+(+4) Boon gun (like 102 Attack, I think) and went pure Advantaliate since he was retaliating for like 5.5k with the pumpkin ball, so the 10k Thundara Strikes aren't that important compared to the 11k+ I could've done. And Ice Jump was only doing like 7.5k anyway. Plenty of tweaks I can make if I want to try again.

Not really too much detail to my strategy. Keep Retaliate and Advance active... Hit pauldrons with elemental weaknesses and switch to full Retaliate strategy after that. I saved Stoneskin for when Bart first empowered his pauldrons, but then kept it active from then on. I had to quit and reload once since I didn't have Stoneskin active when Bart first shrugged off his pauldrons. His first move was to tri-Ruin Fang, and just Shellga wasn't enough to survive that so my hopes of mastery were scuttled.

I considered Steal Power on Tyro to help mitigate Bart's smile attack, but decided it was too tricky to balance that with Advance. Smile hits pretty hard but Protectga/Stoneskin was enough to deal with it, though at one point two of my party members were at critical HP so maybe Curaja instead of Blizzara Strike would've been safer... Tyro's Advance-powered normal attacks were hitting for like 5k+ anyway.
Spent my 100 gems on the Lightning banner because I was tired of seeing it. Got some FF12 mace I've already fully upgraded and never use.

Craze's super FF13 pull reminds me how much I hate that new screen and how I'll probably never screenshot an 11-pull ever again. I hate that it's a scrolling list and that the button covers up a portion of your results. The old screen captured everything in a convenient rectangle.

I'm putting off the Yuffie event for a bit to get some orbs, but I should be ready for the bonus battles when they unlock.