FINAL FANTASY: RECORD KEEPER

Yeah, couldn't resist. Did a 3-pull going for Balthier's or Fran's weapons. Didn't get either, but got some robe and a Shellga light armor, and considering my only FF12 armor is a 3++ pirate cloak or whatever that event reward is called, this is a pretty dope pull.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I'm jealous of your Dragon Force but oh well... I think Vossler's gonna go a lot more smoothly than rude-ass Beatrix for me, and I WILL beat him because +30 Attack for any realm is something I can't pass up.

Drainga sounds like a good idea for my black magic hit, so good idea there. Penelo isn't needed for... anything in the bonus battles it looks like, so I'm gonna leave her in the dust and use Balthier/Fran/Vaan/Tyro/<some Sage> most like. I have a full suite of FF12 weapons and only one armor, but I think with my other solid 5* armors I should be fine. Protectga + Wall + <Steal Power or Power Breakdown> + Full Break should handle mitigation pretty well, right...? I hope so. XD

I'm leaning toward Fabled Song as my RW, because that saves me a Protectga slot and provides heavy Regen to help deal with his constant attacks. Hmmm.

...need to finish the elites. On Monday. After this beautiful mini-orbfest.
Not entirely sure if Dragon Force will even be effective against Vossler. It depends on how often he uses his non-NAT abilities. I'm going to feel it out on my Hypnotize attempt and use the data to form a new strategy if that doesn't work out. Unfortunately, Aeris only has Black 3 so she can't use Drainga. Vossler's multi-strike abilities use the same targeting scheme as Shock so I do worry that Drain, blink, and regen are a bad idea since it keeps your non-tanks's HP high, and they may not be able to eat a Quadstrike.
I was going to do XP daily, but the notice indicated that Kefka is tomorrow so I decided I got enough XP over the weekend and spent my stamina on the bonus battles. I hate how I am always just short of being able to do them all in one go and have to wait an hour on stamina.

Ultimate Vossler is a joke if you have Stoneskin/SG, Protectga, and a tank. My party idea was dogshit but I mastered the fight anyway. My party was pretty much the same that I mentioned previously, except I gave Leon Shield Bash instead of Lifesiphon because I figured he'd get hit often enough to use his Hypnotize limit break regularly. I gave Dispel to Y'shtola since I used Lunatic High as my RW. I replaced Aeris's Dispel wth Quetzalcoatl because it's my best honed summon and it'd give her something to cast if Y'shtola was too tied up to dispel Vossler's reflect.

So Leon did get hit enough to have ample soul meter, but Imperial Swordsmen are assholes and attack each other and my party anyway, so the confusion doesn't last nor is it very effective. They did hit Vossler once for about 3k, though, so if their confusion AI wasn't dumb then it'd probably be a good idea. Between Protectga, Draw Fire, Stoneskin, and Shield Bash: Vossler's multi-strike abilities only hit Leon for about 120-200 per hit, so it was easy to keep his HP high enough to draw every single one of those attacks. The only threatening ability in the encounter for me was the Imperial Guards' water spell, since I didn't bring any form of Shellga.

Aeris was a stupid idea, but she did clue me into something. Dragon Force is useless here. Vossler doesn't use normal attacks or his AoE attack often enough for it to matter, such that after only a single Dragon Force use, I still had three party members with an active blink. However, Quetzalcoatl turned out to be a pretty great idea. That water spell I mentioned previously wasn't nearly the problem it could've been because those guards are vulnerable to paralyze, so they only used the spell once before they were all paralyzed and made irrelevant for the rest of the fight. I ended up killing Vossler at pretty much the same time as his guards, and that actually allowed me to get full speed medals (I still missed two damage medals). So consider bringing a summoner if you've got Quetzalcoatl.

Drunk Cecil did his usual thing of keeping the attack buff active on the party. I changed Locke's Steal Power to Power Break just so he could do some damage during those turns. Dismissal worked twice, so that was cool. I got the slow medals via Locke's limit break, which was actually hitting the damage cap against Vossler and his turds once Armor Break and Cecil's buff were up.

Anyway, just bring a tanky dude and keep his health high and Vossler is nothing compared to Beatrix.

Also, Bartz's wind limit break was super dope against the tree dragon. I totally forgot it hit all enemies since I've mostly used it against bosses that are alone, so blasting a bunch of plant creatures for 20k damage was a nice surprise after I manually targeted the dragon. During that fight I used my Mako Might/Dr Mogs Teachings on Yuna and Sazh. I didn't bring any cure magic and relied on a single Hymn of Fayth near the start. As a result, I discovered that Wrath works pretty damn well on Y'shtola for getting her Stoneskin ready in a hurry. Consider Esuna and some form of dispel on that fight. I had the former but not the latter, which kept my damage lower than it could've been.

Also, I didn't see a single Gigantaur during the whole weekend, so that's lame. Leveled Locke up about ten levels though, so now he's in his 60s and should be pretty strong for the Kefka event. Also got a bunch of record materia... I can't remember all of them, so that was lucky. Good thing XP also correlates with those limit break mastery points. Made it a snap to learn Dragon Force permanently.

I looked ahead a bit and Exdeath has a runic weapon. So I'll probably go for that since it's something I'm missing and I've yet to do an FF5 banner pull, which is weird because I have a bunch of 5-star items from FF5 (Judgement Staff, Air Knife, Heavy Spear, Genji Armor, and Genji Helm). I talk a lot about how other banners give me FF7 all of the time, but apparently they've given me more FF5 when I actually look at my items. Actually, I think I might've gotten Judgement Staff during the very first Lenna event, since I recall getting it at about the same time as her. This was when I was still doing single pulls every time I had 5 mythril at once and often using mythril to refresh stamina for story dungeons. Ah... Ignorance.
Craze
The Genji gear used to be on every banner, I think, which is why we long-time players have a few copies.

I got a single Gigantaur, haha. Not gonna complain about a Major Black Orb, I guess. Still, yeah, lots of EXP and record materia. I hope we get the other sets of orbs periodically too, because that was a nice break from Sundaily.

I'm gonna do the FF12 bonus battles tonight and then my stamina is going toward picking up as many 4* growth eggs as I can from the bonus quests I've never needed to do. It should be a good time for picking up some RMs I'm missing (looking at you, Red XIII and Rinoa, two of the most useful RM3s that refuse to drop).

It should be fun having Fran being a super-support now that I have Loxley Bow. I might not even bring Full Break because Power Breakdown + Whip Kick does a better job of shutting down his stats, and I can put Tempo Flurry in her other slot for the Slow condition.

Not sure who my knight will be. Pecil, I guess, since he's L68 or something like that. He has the Taunt SB but I don't know if that is actually useful at all given Vossler's targeting methods? I might give him an extra heal so that he can keep himself topped off while everybody else hammers the guards and Vossler. Or maybe a dispel.

No idea what to do with Tyro's skills. Drainga and the support Paralysis skill? Lifesiphon? I have Quetzalcoatl but he's R1 since my Valefor is R4. I don't have great mage equipment for FF12, but my Wyrmfang is good so I might just have him and Cecil double up on healing. Or, wait, you mentioned Shield Bash.

Current thoughts based on your experiences:

Fran: Full Break/Tempo Flurry/Ace Striker (has Whip Kick)
Balthier: Steal Power/Lifesiphon/Gun++ (has Tides of Fate)
Pecil: Dispel/Shield Strike/Unsure, hvy regen? (has Taunt, not sure if useful)
Tyro: Curaga/Waterja/Mako Might (has SG)
Sephiroth: Yukikaze/Launch/Katana++ (has Shadowflare)

All of them are above L65 and have a relic. Blind should help weaken those adds a bit, Pecil should be able to stay high on HP. I don't think Empathic Soul or w/e will last long enough (Lenna's heavy regen RM). I could swap Launch/Lifesiphon, but Balthier has the synergy with his gun so I think Tides of Fate is going to be more useful overall than Shadowflare.

Should Pecil be back-row with a bow? I could give him the Loxley bow, haha. It'd put Fran in front with a spear, but it might be worth it. For reference, my solid FF12 weapons are two 4++* spears, a 4*++ sword, a 5* sword, a 5* gun, a 5* dagger (with aoe attack down) and a 5* bow.
I don't think using Paralyze Shot or Intimidate are a good idea since they're single target. You can probably kill them before they even use their water spout attack since you won't be foolishly trying to ignore them because you think Confuse will work well. Vossler's starting pattern isn't a big deal so you have time to kill them.

I'm not sure what you mean by Shield Strike... Do you mean Shield Bash or do you mean Armor Strike? I would choose the former even if it does less damage. Don't be afraid to stack the crap out of defensive buffs. Shield Bash is +50% and I think Draw Fire is another +100%, and they stack. The taunt component of Draw Fire isn't important. Does the defensive bonus of Cecil's limit break taunt stack with Draw Fire's? I haven't ever had the need to check since I don't have it. If so, consider Lionheart. As long as Cecil's HP is always higher than the rest of the party's, he'll be eating 2-4 multi-strikes constantly so he'll have no issues with meter, and it looks like Cecil's taunt has a pretty long duration. Hell, if you make sure you have enough meter to use it by the time Vossler uses his second enrage (which you probably will), you don't even need to bring Draw Fire. Back row Cecil should be even better. Bastion is also decent.

I don't think Lifesiphon is a good choice on Balthier. The important part will be doing lots of damage to Vossler himself near the end, not to the guards, and Tides of Fate isn't bursty enough for Lifesiphon. Give him Dismissal. With Steal Power he'll be doing more damage than Tides of Fate, especially when you factor the cast time of limit breaks.

I think it's pretty important to make sure Protectga and Sentinel's Guard are up when you need them, so save your first SG somewhere just before the second enrage. I wasn't paying very good attention to exactly when those enrages happen, especially because my healer was also my dispeller, so sometimes Y'shtola was busy charging a cure for Leon to dispel right away. Even though you have better weapons than I do, you will probably be doing less overall damage since you don't have a group-wide attack buff, so you may want to hold on to that SG for as long as possible or use Lifesiphon/Wrath on Tyro since your fight will last longer.

I kind of think you should drop Sephiroth for your Vanille. It's very unlikely you'll get your buffs up before people get hit for 2k+, so opening up with a group heal and Protectga seems like money, and then refreshing it around the second enrage. I think using a big group heal near the third enrage is probably high risk, since you might expose somebody to a Quad-strike. Keep in mind that after the second enrage, Vossler will pretty much always have Reflect on him. My Aeris never really landed a Drain during the later phases, so it's fortunate that I had charges of Quetzalcoatl leftover from earlier in the fight. Consider using Meteor on Tyro instead, if you've got it. If you have a 4++ of better rod then Ruinga on Vanille will be fine (probably about 6k damage), and then Tyro can be kitted as full-time white mage while Vanille collects medals.
Craze
Yeah, I meant Shield Bash... those two abilities mess me up. Definitely meant the mini-Protect one. I totally forgot about Bastion, I'll use that. Weapon RS should make up for the Attack dip.

I wanted Dismissal, but it's only at R2 and I used up a ton of Power orbs making Full Break R2. If I drop Sephiroth though, that lets me use Launch (which is R5). Doesn't have the utility, but I shouldn't run out until the end.

My 6* Wyrmfang should give me shittons of MND, but you suggested both Lifesiphon Tyro and WHM Tyro... I think I'll try first with Curaga/Ruinga Vanille and Lifesiphon/Something Tyro? Maybe Yukikaze still, just for shits and giggles (I don't expect the adds to last long enough to need more than R2 anyway).

edit: RIP me. did my 11-pull, 3 4* and 8 3*. :<<<
author=Craze
edit: RIP me. did my 11-pull, 3 4* and 8 3*. :<<<

Yeah, it was about the same for me just now. I've been really lucky with 5*s up until now so I didn't expect to not even get one. At least I got a few duplicate 3s that I can combine into something semi-decent.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Jude
Does the defensive bonus of Cecil's limit break taunt stack with Draw Fire's?
Cecil's limit break taunt, Sentinel, doesn't increase defense at all. It's just the taunting effect of Draw Fire without the defense-increasing effect.

It supposedly draws both physical and magical attacks, at least. (Even though the in-game description explicitly says it only draws physical attacks.) But it's not useful for this boss. Or, uh, ever.
author=LockeZ
author=Jude
Does the defensive bonus of Cecil's limit break taunt stack with Draw Fire's?
Cecil's limit break taunt, Sentinel, doesn't increase defense at all. It's just the taunting effect of Draw Fire without the defense-increasing effect.

It supposedly draws both physical and magical attacks, at least. (Even though the in-game description explicitly says it only draws physical attacks.) But it's not useful for this boss. Or, uh, ever.

What an unimpressive ability. I just assumed it was identical to Lure Magic and Draw Fire in one action.
Craze
It was the very first SB to be released ever (Cecils came before Tifa/Seph in JP) so it's not too surprising.

I misjudged my stamina last night and then didn't want to do Vossler right after waking up this morning, so I'll do him after work today. The other bonus battles were cakewalks though.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I think I'm going to use two mythril to get Cyan's crystal. I don't like him being stuck at 50, and I just don't have enough abilities to kill Deathgaze three times. That, and his rapid-fire Aeroga is also the bane of my existance.
I looked it up. Sentinel is +200% Defense and lasts 30 seconds. Unique status type ID, so it will stack with everything. To compare, Draw Fire is +100% Defense and has a 25 second duration... Obviously you can run both, but if the content was do-able with the 100% from Draw Fire, you should be set just using Sentinel and that allows you to use something like Armor Strike or maybe giving Cecil a white spell. Should be useful and sustainable with Lionheart... especially during the last phase when Vossler starts attacking almost once per second, many of those attacks being three or four hits each.

This sprung up on reddit today, which is where I got the details: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/44xu8c/pdf_compilation_of_game_info_v134_the_stuff_you/. Will be very useful for me, moving forward.

This morning, to make up for my luck during the weekend orb fest, I procured two Major Black and one Major Power orbs from the daily. So that makes me pretty happy. Only one Major Black Orb away from Rank 3 Flare... still haven't crafted Meteor, which I mildly regret not focusing on, but it's not like Flare is bad.

I'm filled with a tremendous amount of indecision when it comes to the next month or two of banners. For once, I need things from most of them and want things from some, and there isn't nearly enough mythril to go around. I should start planning now. I think this is my prioritization:

1. FFT. Basically every item on this banner is pretty dope. The two standouts are Ramza's Scream, which is Hastega, +50% Boostga, and heavy Regen in one package. Equally good is an instant group cure that does 40% of max HP. Yuffie has similar but she's a weird magic ninja that's harder to slot in many group setups, whereas a support character with Lifesiphon follows you almost everywhere. I like to use Yuna as a summoner with a clutch heal pretty often, so having a support who can do the same is pretty great.

2. FF2. My synergy here is really weak. My best armor here is a 4++ Golden Shield, and we all know how great shields are. I have a 4-star dagger and a 4++ wind sword or whatever it's called. That's it, outside of a shitload of 2-star items that are there just to fill out my collection. Banner has a lot of neat items, but I'm most interested in Minwu's staff, which has an instant group cure, and Leon's Hand of the Emperor which is my favorite RW when my group already has all of my defensive buffs covered. Gordon's shield might be amazing depending on the duration. It has the same status effect as Mog's scarf (group Attack/Magic breakdown) but also with a damage component. Gordon was also recently buffed so he isn't made of paper anymore.

3. FF5. A shot at a powerful Runic weapon for Exdeath. A Hastega, 30% Boostga staff for Lenna, which gives me some Boostga flexibility between her and Drunk Cecil if I need another white mage or whatever. Like all of Faris's weapons are good. I haven't pulled on an FF5 banner since the very first Lenna event which got me Judgement staff (generic 5-star Mind stick).

4. FF10. I haven't pulled on an FF10 banner since the very first one that netted me Wakka's Official Ball. I still have decent items here due to a Lullaby Rod from a Lucky Banner, and just random ass pulls like Emerald Bracer (uncertain which banner) and Variable Steel (FF12 banner). So, it's just fallen behind a smidge and a little bump wouldn't hurt. The items are pretty good too.

5. FF6. Not the current one, but the next one. I don't need FF6 items at all, but my heart would burst if I could get Celes's next Runic weapon. I'd rather use her over Exdeath for that purpose, but prioritize FF5 because I need those items more overall. I might be able to afford FF5, but since it's around the corner then it will only be just barely and will happen only if there's a weekend orb fest on Friday. I will for sure pull on this banner if I am unable to pull on FF5. It's also got really terrible consolation prizes like Terra's SSB and Kefka's Hastega/Faithga cape. Also, FF6 is the best, even if it's wonky.

6. FF7. I just think having one of those snazzy new limit breaks would be nice.
author=Jude
whereas a support character with Lifesiphon follows you almost everywhere.

Do they? As has been made clear by my earlier posts, I'm pretty new so there's a lot I'm missing about the game. So far the only real use I've had for Support skills is to use Revive, because I haven't made Raise yet and would be unsure about using up another white magic skill slot for it anyway. Oh, and I was using Salve before I realised it was taking up a slot for no real benefit.

If you don't mind me asking, what do they get used for primarily? Status attacks? They don't seem to have a good success rate for me. I know there's Boost, but I've been avoiding it because I find single target buffs finicky to employ with the touch screen interface and rather hard to find a decent use for...

But I haven't made any breakdowns yet and I can see the appeal in those.
Support is an independently strong ability class because of the Breakdowns and status effects, but mostly the Breakdowns. Magic Breakdown and Full Break are two of the best abilities in the game.
Thank you! To be honest, I don't think I even realised Support had breakdowns until I took a look while writing that post; I tended to get the Physical categories confused (except for Spellblade) and assumed Support was just the status attacks, Boost, etc.

I guess between the Damage + Status, the breakdowns, the healing and reviving they've got a pretty good, self-sufficient set. Maybe I would have learned that if I'd taken a chance to create and hone their abilities instead of ignoring them or leaving them at 2 uses.

Incidentally, I've seen it said that it's not worth creating abilities like Flare Strike for the 5* Spellblade users like Celes (who I finally got!) because they hit the damage cap easily enough with 3* or 4* abilities, but would it be worth getting the stronger Spellblade abilities so I can stick her in the back row for more defense, or give her a weapon with less attack? This scenario is a fair way off, but I'm curious.

I don't really know if that'd be be viable, because it seems the formula relies a lot more on attack damage than on the accompanying spell... I tried giving Celes a 5*Ice Rod in the back row, along with Blizzara Strike, and the results were... rather underwhelming.
Flare Strike is a fine ability. It just competes with better abilities for the orbs. And as you said, when you're using Spellblades it's usually to hit for 10k with an elemental weakness or for sustain reasons with Drain Strike. Also, spellblade abilities scale with Attack, so using a melee-ranged rod that has low Attack from the back row is a bad idea. It doesn't rely on Magic at all, only Attack. Give Celes a sword and put her up front with spellblades, or give her a rod and equip black magic... She can fill either role, has great stats, and one of the very best default limit breaks in the game.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Jude
I looked it up. Sentinel is +200% Defense and lasts 30 seconds. Unique status type ID, so it will stack with everything.
Interesting! I guess they buffed it. They need to update the in-game description to be accurate.
Craze

I just beat, but not mastered, Vossler with this party. Only Pecil alive at the end... Used Lunatic High RW.

If I redo it, I'll replace Boost on Pecil with Renewing Cure or Cura or something. Should help a lot.
LockeZ
If you redo it, give those suckers ranged weapons and go full back row.

Also, assuming Cecil is taking all the hits... give him his own record materia that makes him counterattack with Counter Mend when he's attacked. It's A+ in this fight, since not only does it help him survive, but it helps him maintain the highest HP.

Also, yeah, having two healers seems to be mandatory for every ultimate fight. It's a good argument for honing Curaja, especially since the second healer won't be equipped with much +MND gear.