RPG MAKER 2000 VALUE! IS NOW OUT IN ENGLISH!

author=LockeZ
Why does this exist

a more suitable question would be why hasn't it existed until now
I purchased this through the Humble Bundle deal and it's great to have an up-to-date and official version after all this time. However I do have a few gripes?

Firstly isn't about 2000: the 2k3 version in the Humble Bundle store is the steam version, so it requires Steam to run. I don't really want to have to run Steam to run game projects, is there any way I can get a copy of the non-steam version without having to rebuy it for $20 on the RMWeb site? . -.

As someone has already pointed out, the columns for actor stats are mixed up, but there are more things I have noticed. I'm not sure how well I'll explain this, so I'll try to make this straight forward.

First thing is pretty simple, in the enemy tab the item reward could probably be extended to fill its row. I found this when checking if nothing was mixed up for the enemies tab.

However my real concern was with the battle messages and the like. One shortcoming on RM2k is it kinda has broken english. In the original Japanese version there is a certain character between (Target) and (damage value) (string), this got replaced with either a space or a dash depending on the version. This is still present in this version, but your interface in the database gives the impression otherwise.

By default, many but not all of the default provided messages lack preceding spaces, which results in text like this. It's hard to tell what does it and what does not without testing.

Frequently throughout the database you have things like this, but it's not true to how the message will appear in-game. This is what I'm talking about above: any time you have something between information in the greyed out area, it can be assumed that there actually won't be anything displayed. It's just a space.

Here's what I meant about how the presence of a space is inconsistent. But not only that, a space now exists that wasn't there in the unofficial translation. The space leading gold reward looks jarring and there's no way to remove it myself - the first field is empty.

There are also several header mistakes. For the sake of clarification I'll also try to include the sub-message issues.

Page 1
Ally Kill (Critical Hit) - "Kill" may give the wrong impression. "Critical Hit (By Ally)" may be better phrasing.
Enemy Kill (Critical Hit) - Same as above

Page 2
In general - Anything that by default only has "!" in the input field is preceded by a space, resulting in text like "Alex 13 HP !".
Inflicted Damage to Enemy, Character to X - To is not printed.
Damage Dealt to Ally - Should be “Enemy taking no damage”
Ally evaded the attack - Inflicted Damage to Ally
Ally evades damage - Ally taking no damage
(Aside: message 2 and 4 of column 1 both seem to be about not taking damage, but I don't know if it's miss or explicitly about 0 damage, because there is also an "Evades a physical attack" string. So these could be "Enemy/Ally avoided damage")
Use Item, Character uses X - Uses is not printed.
MP Recovery, Character recovers X - Not necessarily MP as this also applies to HP. Recovers is not printed.
Stat Increase, Character stats increased by X - Increased by is not printed.
Stat Decrease, Character stats decreased by X - Same as above
Ally MP Absorption, Character absorbs X - Again, also applies to HP. Also again, absorbs is not printed.
Enemy MP Absorption, Character absorbs X - Same as above
Level Up, Character Level Up to X - this might be the one case where a change was made to create readable english! Because the full level string is only displayed on level up (iirc) I would often set "Level" to "grew to level" to make this bit read right.

It's still wrong though. to is not displayed. is is. (And of course we can see skill learning is one of those cases where the space is not present, yet level up's is.) The correct phrase would be "(Character) is (Level) (X)".

I think in the future it would be cool to replace all the term fields with a dynamic system, using full length text entry, that accepts text like "(n) took (v)(p) damage!", similar to the way VXAce functions with the Vocab module.
I understand though that this might require heavy modification that simply isn't possible, or if it would cause massive incompatibility. It would however allow people to create more natural sounding english (or even other languages), as well as setting the tense they want. ('is level' is present tense. So that's stuck like that.)

The rest of the pages are shop, inn, and parameter names, and I don't think there will be issues with them, except perhaps allotted space. The space is limited in characters, so pairing them with message control might not work out so well. Obviously extending the space will cause overflow if too much is used, but I think most veterans know this. (And others learn it quickly.)

Phew, okay that was pretty long so inside the spoiler it goes.

A big thanks to everyone who worked on improving both these. Just seeing the coloured event commands and striped line bg is really cool as it is! I'm so used to coloured lines in code (be it RGSS, eventing, or notepad++) I don't think I could look at my old evented systems because the uncoloured text would dizzy me. @ -@
Your last point probably won't happen since they are older makers and the company probably doesn't want to have to pay too much to get them messed about with. That said, I'm sure there'll be some bug fixes along, so sharing any you find is a great way to let Cherry or Nessy know they exist (good catches, btw!)

These are generally for the nostalgia. They're outclassed by pretty much all the modern engines existing today. They're for you having fun making a silly RPG, but for higher caliber RPGs intended to be enjoyed by many, there's a lot of modern options that aren't ancient and full of duct tape (it has a ton of patches, hacks, etc.) that generally reduce performance and stability just to get it working on your machine.
@Tayruu, can you give me a list of these in a PM? I would like to fix them soon but I need some break ;w;
author=WolfCoder
These are generally for the nostalgia. They're outclassed by pretty much all the modern engines existing today. They're for you having fun making a silly RPG, but for higher caliber RPGs intended to be enjoyed by many, there's a lot of modern options that aren't ancient and full of duct tape (it has a ton of patches, hacks, etc.) that generally reduce performance and stability just to get it working on your machine.

I'm running Windows 8.1, and surprisingly I was able to get both RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 running on my machine without much trouble or having to resort to "weird tricks". (As usual, one's mileage may vary.)
Hi everyone. I'm not up on 'the latest' as I could be.

I built "The Sword and the Fish" a long time ago and recently re-upped it onto this sweet site. I followed the link and noticed that the Humble Bundle page says this at the bottom:

Share Your Game:
Want to share your creation with the world? You can export your creation in a portable file that can be played on ANY Windows system! Plus, games made with RPG Maker 2003 can be sold as long as you have the appropriate rights and have followed the registration procedure. With some hard work you could become the next great indie game developer!

1. Why advertise this at the bottom of RM2000?
2. I suppose this cannot be done with an RM2000 game?
3. I suppose there is no way to translate an RM2000 game into RM2K3?

Sorry if any of this has been covered already.
A tech question: are 2000 RTP names compatible with 2003 RTP for project conversion as the Japanese version do?
fine! I guess I'll just have to buy this myself then!
With some hard work you could become the next great indie game developer!

This line made me chuckle.
Question: can you use in battle events to call common events with this version? Or edit character's stats during the battle?

Thanks in advance
Scumdrop
3. I suppose there is no way to translate an RM2000 game into RM2K3?

RPG Maker 2003 can take RPG Maker 2000 games and convert them into RPG Maker 2003 games, just by opening them. However, the conversion is one-way only, and permanent. Make a backup before trying.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
This whole thing is like Microsoft suddenly announcing that they're selling a new version of Windows 98 and resuming official support for it. And that it's now widescreen-compatible and they added achievements to Minesweeper, but it's otherwise unchanged.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I so want the second coming of Win98!
Windows 98 HD Redux with pre-installed Netscape 10 and better internet connectivity.
author=Aoleorz
Question: can you use in battle events to call common events with this version? Or edit character's stats during the battle?

No, but is one way.
You can use RM Event Factory for copy common event pages, change for battle pages and paste in battle. Also you can use official english RM2k3 which you can copy "call common event" from common event (no battle "call common event") for battle event and copy battle page event and paste in RM2k. Should be work.

I wait for new fullscreen mode and possibility copy and paste battle and normal command in all place. And of course on patch EULA.
author=LockeZ
This whole thing is like Microsoft suddenly announcing that they're selling a new version of Windows 98 and resuming official support for it. And that it's now widescreen-compatible and they added achievements to Minesweeper, but it's otherwise unchanged.

Except RM2k!Value is still supported in Japan. Only rm2k3 ceased development/support :D
author=Dragon_Kamillo
author=Aoleorz
No, but is one way.
You can use RM Event Factory for copy common event pages, change for battle pages and paste in battle. Also you can use official english RM2k3 which you can copy "call common event" from common event (no battle "call common event") for battle event and copy battle page event and paste in RM2k. Should be work.

I wait for new fullscreen mode and possibility copy and paste battle and normal command in all place. And of course on patch EULA.

Yeah, that's what I have been using in RPG Maker 2003 so far for a bunch of things.

RM Event Factory is another program or an option within the makers?

author=Archeia_Nessiah
Except RM2k!Value is still supported in Japan. Only rm2k3 ceased development/support :D

Silly question but what does it mean it still supported? I mean, it's still updated, fixed, patched or something along those lines?
If you mean RM2k! Value. Yes. They recently updated it to be compatible with Windows 8, which we have but it still seems to have issues. You can see it over here: https://tkool.jp/sp/valueplus/index

It's the most popular RM in Japan after all.