RECOMMENDATION: STOP DELETING POSTS

Pages: first prev 123 last
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
author=Max McGee
There is no point where defending freedom of speech makes you look bad, even if you disagree with with what is being said, brosef.

Yet there is no such thing as Freedom of Speech on the Internet. No laws for it. Nothing but each individual site owner's own rules.

Also deleting posts won't change the look and feel of a site. If they don't know what is said, they won't magically, instantly assume someone awesome said awesome crap. They assume it was deleted because something went down that broke rules or something. That is common knowledge as well as common sense on posts. A blank post is a blank post. Nothing is implied in it. This is like people trying to find conspiracies or something along those lines, in a sense.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I like how long after Holbert said that censoring posts was wrong and stopped doing it you are still arguing this dead-in-the-water issue in favor of censorship.

There is no Freedom of Speech on the internet? Are you kidding me? The internet IS Freedom of Speech. I think you meant to say that there's no Freedom of Speech on RMN, which I disagree with. If that were really true, I wouldn't post here.
I support freedom of speech with one exception:
Double posts where the second post is the same as the first or "oops double post"

I hunt those down and nuke 'em when I see 'em
Thiamor
In the US you have that as a law, so to speak. But in the Internet, everyone's rules differ. The net has no freedom. The owners do.

Hell it is like someone on a site banning you for cursing, then you are trying to call 'Freedom of Speech' and how you'll sue them for infringing on their rights, when the net has no laws like that. There are different laws, rules, regulations and such for the Internet, than each country has.

Like...say, the Constitution doesn't fall under the net, either.
author=Max McGee
I like how long after Holbert said that censoring posts was wrong and stopped doing it you are still arguing this dead-in-the-water issue in favor of censorship.

There is no Freedom of Speech on the internet? Are you kidding me? The internet IS Freedom of Speech. I think you meant to say that there's no Freedom of Speech on RMN, which I disagree with. If that were really true, I wouldn't post here.

He's basically saying that the owners of a website have the right to do whatever they want with it. The users of said website, pretty much every website ever, agree to a Terms and Conditions set forth to use their website. If you're visiting a friends house and they kick you out for cursing too much, you can't argue 'Freedom of Speech', you have to get the fuck out.

come on max i know you aren't this thick
Max McGee
My belief in Freedom of Speech as being a good thing and a basic natural right of man is not really subject to whether or not it is a legally guaranteed privilege.

I think a country that does not allow freedom of speech is an asshole country, too.

Believe it or no, Freedom of Speech was a philosophical idea before it was a legal reality.

I still do not know why we are talk about this.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Rights are determined by laws and if there is no law for free speech on the internet then you don't have that right. Seems like you are using different definitions.
Thiamor
I can see where you're going with this now. Not to make it a law. More like using common courtesy. To allow others to have it. To just be nice and allow them that little bit of their own, personal freedom. Am I right a bit?
Max McGee
author=arcan
Rights are determined by laws

Enlightenment philosophy disagrees with you.

@Thiamor:

A bit, yeah. That's basically close enough to what I'm saying. Although I'd go a bit stronger than "to be nice" and go with "to do the right thing". The intent of this thread was never "stop deleting posts because it's illegal", y'know. : )
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Nah it doesn't really disagree with me it just uses the terms in a different way. Surely there are certain unwritten rules but rights just didn't seem like the right word and I'm not sure if freedom of speech is included. Anyway I don't really care to discuss this any further as my point has been made.
Pages: first prev 123 last