GUESS THAT GAME!

I saw this in another forum and I thought it would be a cool thing to try here. It sounds like a silly game but a lot of cool discussion can come from this. It's easy, a hint about a video game will be given, and everyone tries to guess what it is. Whoever guesses correctly gets to give out their hint, and the original person who gave the hint (or whoever, really) tells us a little about the game and we chat about it and the process goes on. It's a great way to have a little fun and find hidden gems. Extra credit if every single game here doesn't turn out to be an RPG; diversify!

Hint one is going to be fairly easy;

1. This guy or gal, or, whoever really, whatever you decide, is stuck with saving a kingdom from underground dwelling demon beasts. It also smells a lot of dog, pretty much everywhere.
The dog part makes me think Fable 2, but I can't really remember enough of the game to know if underground demons were a big part of it... aside from early on with the Hobbes, so I'm probably wrong.
In Torchlight you can have a dog companion. Or maybe it was a wolf.
NO AND NO

Come on guys this is easy. You're sort of on the right draw with 'dog companion', but remember, 'this place smells like dog' is part of the hint as well.
The only game with a dog companion I know about is Secret of Evermore.
Gotta be Dragon Age! If I'm right someone else can have my turn.
Yes, you are absolutely right, LWG. It's

1. This guy or gal, or, whoever really, whatever you decide, is stuck with saving a kingdom from underground dwelling demon beasts. It also smells a lot of dog, pretty much everywhere.

Since LWG is giving away his turn, the next hint is up for grabs for anyone who feels like it.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
EDIT: Ah wait I thought I am supposed to give an image as a hint, nvm.
You can if you want to.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
A man who releases an ancient evil and goes on to save continents.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
Yea that one was too easy.
Go ahead and skip my turn, its up for grabs.
Okay. Hope no-one minds me grabbing the turn. :P If so, disregard.

A spoony fellow ends up in a loop, all to aid a princess.
Chrono Trigger makes sense for the loop/helping a princess because of the time travel stuff and attending paradoxes, but I'm not sure I'd categorize Crono as spoony, hm.
pshh totally mario, he's spoony and the princess is always in another castle