WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

that's a gross misunderstanding
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
When I hear someone older than me who has a good head on their shoulders say something like "super grossed out", it gives me reason to believe there's no age limit on such words.
sometimes I say repugnant

tell me talking internet head totalbuscuit and your video game knowledge and low down on the current state of our language, how old does that make me?
Egad! That makes you at least 117 years old.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Pizza
Also I'm pretty sure the ten year olds comment came from Max McGee, which is even more reason to not listen to it.

Yea, it was Max.

"That's gross" does kinda sound like something someone younger would say, but it doesn't sound any more or less "childish" than "that's some stupid ass fucking shit", which is more along the lines of what Max or TB would say. I don't think we're aiming for maturity with lines like that.

If you can get your point across without being an asshole, who cares how you phrase it?
I thought about it and the last time I heard the word 'gross' was about three weeks ago, watching a hockey game with some family. A pizza place commercial came on and they showed some super greasy looking pizza and my sister said 'Gross.'. I made some agreeing sounding murmur and went back to whatever previous conversion was going on. Next time I will go on a giant pedantic rampage interrupting everything to tell her how childish she sounded for using a word that an internet superstar hadn't heard for some time.
Yeah, but gross is such a great word though. I don't get the whole 'this is childish waaaah gonna complain about it' thing that a lot of people do. Especially when it comes to stuff like games and language. Like, um, okay... You do realise that if I use/do x when an adult that means it is an adult thing, right? An adult is doing it thus it has become adult. It is defined by the user as to what age it is.

Or something. It's early. I'm going to sleep. XD
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Everyone here plays and makes video games, right? And how many of us watch anime, or cartoons, or read silly young adult novels, or play D&D, or listen to pop music? And still, we've got a ton of people here who are in their 20s or 30s or older and have jobs, houses, spouses, kids, whatever!

Calling the word gross childish is ridiculous when you think about all the fun but "childish" stuff we still like, hahaha
If somebody called me childish for enjoying the 80's Mr. T cartoon I found on the internet a while back I'd tell 'em I pity the foo who doesn't enjoy Mr. T
So, I just got my marks back from my latest assignment in a Concept Art class. The assignment was to redesign a classic character, this was my work:

http://pizzatheface.deviantart.com/art/Dracula-Redesign-Concept-528117390

I got a 50%. A fucking 50.

I officially don't understand anymore. I've seen some other work from the class, and by all rights if I got a bloody 50 they should be getting fucking 10s. I don't fucking get it.

I'm not saying it's fucking fantastic or anything, I still have a long way to go as an artist, but a fucking 50? Come the fuck on.

I need to go for a walk before I fucking break my computer. Fuck this shit. This whole god damn city can burn to the fucking ground for all I give a fuck.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It's a fight against the society to be childish. Having no prejudices and so. My guess is that connection between gross and infantile is given due to it's use in 80's flicks and shows. Whereas Grown-ups use proper cusswords, kiddos and teenagers have these funky terms such as gross or foggin, which are not as offending.
I think there's a very important distinction to make between "childish" and "childlike" behaviors. Keeping in touch with your "inner-child" so to speak, like, enjoying things we used to enjoy when we were younger, is a good thing imo. But acting in any way "immature-ish" is not; and that's what the word "childish" usually refers to... So, let's not conflate those things.

Now, the thing about words like "gross" is that -- Well, let's just keep in mind that we all develop somewhat of an aversion towards words we predominantly see being used among groups of people that we may be in disagreement with. "Gross" is like the kind of "bad word" that a child could get away with using without being scolded. But when people -adults- who use this word, do so in the same breath that they berate you such nasty ways like calling you a "disgusting sack of human garbage" or whatever (I've been there. xD), you kinda have to wonder what kind of mental hang-up is in place to allow for such disparaging combination of words. =)
Being concerned with what is and isn't childish is childish.

Just sayin.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Of course, I had no intention of dropping gross from my vocabulary. It's too fun a word to get rid of. Gross. Grooooooss. Heh heh.

I was trying to avoid the name dropping, but I may have jumped that ship when I named Gleeson, so never mind me. If it was JUST from Max, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. To hear it from TotalBiscuit, a second person unrelated to Max, was what gave me pause.

My next question sorta answered itself with all these replies: Will using the word gross in your game's text cause you to stop being taken seriously? Like any word choice, it depends on the character. Use gross if it's appropriate, just make sure to have a thesaurus on hand when writing more serious scenes.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Also it depends on the use, gross like the majority of words in the English language has multiple meanings, depending on whether it is used as adjective, adverb, verb or noun. Kentona actively used one at the start of this page, the one closest to the original Latin, which means large or great. Gross also being equal to 144 (a dozen dozen) always makes me laugh a little when I read/hear it and substitute that definition.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I do not have any negative feelings towards the word gross, even when used in the context, "Ew, gross!" It is a synonym for disgusting. If gross is a childish word, then so are disgusting, repellent, repulsive, abhorrent, loathsome, detestable, sickening, nauseating, nauseous, stomach-churning, stomach-turning, off-putting, unpalatable, unappetizing, uninviting, unsavoury, distasteful, foul, nasty, obnoxious, odious. And some of those are exceptional words to use.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
No, a word being childish automatically implies that there is a synonym that is less childish. It is not the meaning that is childish but the choice of vocabulary. Mucus is less childish than boogers. Toilet is less childish than potty. Feces is less childish than poo-poo.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
What's the point of being an adult if you can't be childish?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@LockeZ Oh, you're right.
Ugh... not feeling well on account of eating a thing I wasn't supposed to. To be fair, I didn't know it had a certain ingredient. Let's jsut say libby is down for the count. XD

orz