FINAL FANTASY: RECORD KEEPER

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
They really need to fix the optimize function for equipment upgrading. There have been too many times where the optimizer comes up with a combination of materials that leads to 838 exp. being lost, when I can easily decrease it to 238 or even 38 exp. lost while still only using Scarletite/Adamantite. It doesn't matter that much, but it's annoying to know the optimizer doesn't actually optimize. I have a feeling it just repeatedly adds the highest tier material that doesn't overflow the exp. until it's reached the lowest tier in your inventory.

Case in point: When upgrading a 3* item from lv. 1 to lv. 10, the optimizer will suggest a giant, normal and tiny material, leading to 238 exp. wasted, while a giant and four tiny materials would lead to only 38 exp. wasted.

I realize actual optimization would take longer, but since the higher tier materials give full multiples of the lower tier ones, I think it's really only the small and tiny materials that need to be checked for further optimization.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
it optimizes gold usage, not xp... which is pointless because gold is infinite after a single orbfest.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Yeah, that is pretty pointless indeed. Even disregarding the fact that gold is not an issue anymore after a while, you're going to use those materials anyway, so if you're going to spend less gold on this one particular piece of equipment, you'll spend more on the next.
Eh... Speak for yourself. I only have two million gil left after combining/spliting my stash.

Only one story dungeon left. Looks like it'll put me at an even 158 Stamina when I do it tomorrow. While we didn't get an orb weekend, the dungeon update awarded enough mythril for me to pull on the upcoming FF5 event. Haven't totally decided if I will or not, though.

Am I the only one here who keeps up on dungeon content?
I guess I know who my primary White Mage is going to be for the foreseeable future!

It was a toss up between Mog and Lenna, but I already like his survivability (which is apparently a big theme for me, between him and my reliance on Golbez and PCecil), and now this.

Still a fairly crummy draw, but I got something I was quite eager for, so I shouldn't complain.

I want Maduin's Horn, but even though I'm halfway (?) through the classic dungeons and still able to bring in Mythril fairly easily I don't know if I can justify a third FFVI pull with FFV just around the corner...

Speaking of dungeons, I feel I was led astray by the first few elites, which gave some decent unique SB equipment for the White Mage and Black Mage core classes. The equipment rewards have all but dried up, and I'm still hurting for certain weapon and armour types.

I'm also not getting stamina shards as often anymore, which makes tackling dungeons in quick succession a lot harder as I can't get frequent full refills. I'm well aware that the flow of Mythril will be drying up considerably as well.

Is this the plan? Present a sustainable and rewarding experience for long enough to get players invested and then gradually make it harder and harder to progress without paying? That's a much longer and more patient con than I'm used to with "freemium" models, but it's insidious enough that it's almost got me tempted to drop money. Almost.

Then again, they're fairly generous with their freebies - we all just got a nice accessory (which also completed my accessory quest) - so I guess I shouldn't be too cynical.
Jeroen_Sol
It's really not necessary to spend money on the game. At the very least not yet. At your point in the game, there's definitely a wall. The normal dungeons start to feel like they quickly become very hard, but many of the elite dungeons feel hard too. Just keep at it. There's a lot more mythril and stamina to be had. If you haven't already, fully upgrade your 5 and 4 star equipment, and start getting in the habit of doing proper battle preparation for each battle. 4 star weapons are very good if you have synergy. Eventually you'll get to the point where you'll breeze through all the elites up to difficulty 60.

Using money is not worth it anyway. With the ridiculous price of gems it almost feels as if they don't want people to spend money on the game.
Craze
Jude
Am I the only one here who keeps up on dungeon content?

lol I did for a while but then I stopped bringing my tablet to work. I don't have time for 8+ hours of the day to do FFRK, and I'd much rather have it on my tablet than my phone, so I typically only have the physical and in-game stamina for event dungeons. My plan is to get caught up for the summer though, when I will HAVE to put it on my phone like last summer because I work in the woods with no wifi.

Leapfrog
Is this the plan? Present a sustainable and rewarding experience for long enough to get players invested and then gradually make it harder and harder to progress without paying? That's a much longer and more patient con than I'm used to with "freemium" models, but it's insidious enough that it's almost got me tempted to drop money. Almost.

Yeah, pretty much. Good roll on that spear, though!

I recommend saving up your mythril for supposed lucky banners (1/2 off) coming soon. Anniversary and super super soul breakfast are coming up!

Jeroen_Sol
It's really not necessary to spend money on the game. At the very least not yet. At your point in the game, there's definitely a wall. The normal dungeons start to feel like they quickly become very hard, but many of the elite dungeons feel hard too. Just keep at it. There's a lot more mythril and stamina to be had. If you haven't already, fully upgrade your 5 and 4 star equipment, and start getting in the habit of doing proper battle preparation for each battle. 4 star weapons are very good if you have synergy. Eventually you'll get to the point where you'll breeze through all the elites up to difficulty 60.

Using money is not worth it anyway. With the ridiculous price of gems it almost feels as if they don't want people to spend money on the game.

$3/30 is way better than the 5/50 of many games...
Jeroen_Sol
An 11-pull costs €30. Considering it is in no way guaranteed that you pull any 5* equipment that way, that is completely ludicrous.
author=Jeroen_Sol
It's really not necessary to spend money on the game. At the very least not yet. At your point in the game, there's definitely a wall. The normal dungeons start to feel like they quickly become very hard, but many of the elite dungeons feel hard too. Just keep at it. There's a lot more mythril and stamina to be had.

I suppose I'm thinking less about necessity and more how painful it will be to watch banners go by without being able to pull on all of them, especially when priority moves from practical necessity to completionism as the game wears on and one wants specific items that are, by the nature of the gamble, going to be harder and harder to get.

To be fair, I'm not against spending money on the game in principle. It's fairly generous as far as freemium models go, and it's providing me with a lot of entertainment for free. Stamina/Mythril shortages aside, I wouldn't have minded paying for it outright. But microtransactions make me uncomfortable because A) they're a slippery slope, B) paying for things I can technically grind for feels wasteful and a little cheaty, and C) the systems that encourage them (gambling, playtime limitation) feel manipulative.

But then, I don't mind dropping a few dollars on real-life slot machines on infrequent occasions, so maybe I'm weird and contradictory.

author=Jeroen_Sol
If you haven't already, fully upgrade your 5 and 4 star equipment, and start getting in the habit of doing proper battle preparation for each battle. 4 star weapons are very good if you have synergy. Eventually you'll get to the point where you'll breeze through all the elites up to difficulty 60.

I'm not quite feeling the pinch yet, but I'm anticipating it. Vargas and some other annoyances aside, I'm usually able to do pretty well up to difficulties of 75 or so. I got lucky with some earlier pulls (Several 5* swords including Save the Queen; Golbez' armour; a couple of great rods) and I'm doing pretty well with abilities (I recently made Protectga and Shellga) so I'm in a decent position for now. I am however feeling the sting of loss harder than I used to, with growing stamina costs and fewer refills. It gets very tempting to drop a Mythril once in a while, but I've avoided it so far. Anything that isn't going on pulls is going to ability/inventory space (which is annoying, but whatever).

author=Craze
Yeah, pretty much. Good roll on that spear, though!

I recommend saving up your mythril for supposed lucky banners (1/2 off) coming soon. Anniversary and super super soul breakfast are coming up!

Trying to work out if "soul breakfast" is deliberate or an autocorrect thing. Then trying to work out if it's a "really good food" sort of breakfast or a "Shang Tsung" sort of breakfast.

author=Craze
I'd much rather have it on my tablet

Maybe I should dig out my tablet... I can grudgingly deal with the laggy inputs that pop up from time to time "Oh, you tapped Cecil for a microsecond? Clearly you intended to press down on him with intent and examine his stats, not transfer him to your party!" but what really gets me is when I'm trying to scroll through lists of things and it keeps going "Oh, you want to look at Thundara? Oh, you want to look at Blind? Oh, you want to look at Comet?" So annoying.

Jeroen_Sol
Yes, when the dungeons start costing more stamina, and dropping one crystal rather than two, the game slow down considerably. Especially when you start focussing more on events, you're going to have to start waiting for your stamina to replenish. It just stops being possible to do many dungeons in quick succession at one point.
You don't need money. I bought an 11-pull out of sheer rage once, which could've easily backfired, but that's the only paid pull I've done and I've done almost everything, only missing a few bonus battles back when they first started and the FF14 event quests many moons ago. I've done every quest, bonus quest, story dungeon, and have mastered everything not previously mentioned. There's definitely a period of time where it's difficult to progress, but eventually you'll start making headway. I didn't get caught up on story dungeons until like December, and I've been playing since very nearly the beginning, so it'll just take time for you to work up to it. I don't know how long it was exactly, but I remember being taunted by 100+ difficulty story dungeons for awhile before I could really penetrate those consistently. Do event dungeons until you can't, then do story dungeons until you can't, then do daily dungeons with whatever remains, and eventually you'll be able to complete event quests and elite story dungeons.

author=Craze
lol I did for a while but then I stopped bringing my tablet to work. I don't have time for 8+ hours of the day to do FFRK, and I'd much rather have it on my tablet than my phone, so I typically only have the physical and in-game stamina for event dungeons. My plan is to get caught up for the summer though, when I will HAVE to put it on my phone like last summer because I work in the woods with no wifi.

As far as in-game stamina goes, you have even more reason to do the story dungeons. Unless I'm eager to get through a bonus battle, I only play before work and before I go to bed, and having 150+ stamina means I can play longer during those windows. I was able to do all of the FF6 bonus battles in one session, instead of trying to schedule anything around stamina regeneration.

Also, I never noticed this until Record Keeper:

I always bring a summoner with Maduin/Valefor/Raw Power to XP dailies, and it makes me smirk every time.
FF5 pull is a bust. Two 4-stars I don't need and nine 3-star items.
Jeroen_Sol
Yeah, I had a pull like that in Kefka's event. Except I had 3 4-stars, which I guess is slightly better than 2.
I've saved up almost 200 mythril now and praying for RNGesus' mercy when we get Tictacs in March/April. Gilgamesh was able to Drawtaliate all the things during this week's FFV event but I can feel that F2P wall fast approaching.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Once per banner, you can pay just 100 gems for an item draw. If you're gonna spend money, that's what you should spend it on, not an 11-pull. It's one fifth the price of spending cash on anything else. It also helps put a hard limiter on how much you can spend, so you don't fall into a trap of wasting hundreds of dollars on the game.

I've probably spent about twenty dollars that way over the course of the nine months that I've been playing. Only about half the banners interest me at all, and of the ones that interest me, about half the time I have enough self-control to not spend a dollar.
Craze
I just buy the Ifrit ($29 for ~3500 gems) packs every 4 months or so. I get my 100 gem purchases and save some compared to spending a dollar for the actual 100 gem packs.

Jude
As far as in-game stamina goes, you have even more reason to do the story dungeons. Unless I'm eager to get through a bonus battle, I only play before work and before I go to bed, and having 150+ stamina means I can play longer during those windows. I was able to do all of the FF6 bonus battles in one session, instead of trying to schedule anything around stamina regeneration.

Yeah, that's why I want to get caught up before mid-June. I'm slowly working on it... at 119 stamina now. (I've skipped a LOT of elites.)

Creamed Madiun U. The Ketu/Rahu guy took me two tries to master because I was lazy... Maduin died without even an s/l. Didn't need Healer on Mog, probably could have equipped him with a spear and a heal potency+ RM instead. I used Boon as my RW. I thought about using Eiko's medica+hastega as a RW, but Boon came up and it was fine. Brought Shellga anyway, which was probably a good choice. Chaos Wave was hitting for ~400 and his others for ~150. I really didn't need those RES rings on, but oh well.

edit: Getting Yuna's MC2 next event will be wonderful. That'll give me two solid white mage options (Lenna for ALL the healing and Yuna for Curaga + summons), with Vanille as a back-up medica for asshole Ultimates.

edit2: Lenna might actually win out still, now that Ultimates don't have "don't die" as a requirement anymore. I have her full revive SB, which might actually see some use now !?!?!
My white mage options are excellent right now, because I have uniques for Yuna, Rosa, and Y'shtola. Because of her limited equipment, Y'shtola tends to always be primary white mage, but I'm able to bring Yuna as summoner or Rosa as support (her attack power is actually pretty similar to the other ranged supports) as backup, either just for a Shellga slot or for a clutch group heal. I was very interested in getting Lenna's Hastega/Boostga staff this event, but oh well.

I haven't put any thought into my Necrophobe party yet. It'll probably just be a very standard, dictated by my weapons/armor. He seems like a buff and smash type of boss, that just gets a little hectic early on. He's vulnerable to elements so I'll basically just grab spellblades that can equip spears, daggers, axes, and bows... which is a bunch of them.

Current quest system disappears in a few hours. Am I the only one here with 100% completion?
I need to give up on Maduin's Horn before my addiction becomes all consuming.

On the plus side...

... I'm going to have my first 6* relic thanks to the Mythril inundation from the new mission system.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I completed every main quest except for crafting Mug Time. Which is a pretty useless skill, so I guess that's fine. None of the 5-star skills that had quests were really worth crafting though, especially since the quest rewards for them were so bad.

I also completed exactly zero bonus quests.
How weird. Exdeath can't wear hats. Is he the only mage that can't? Really hurts his usability for me, because I have an abundance of good hats but limited robe options, and usually my light armor is needed by a front row dude. Also surprised that he can't wear heavy armor.