+++ DYNRPG - THE RM2K3 PLUGIN SDK +++

@DragonHeartman
Hmm, so the editor is still off limits; we can add stuff into it, but indirectly. I guess that's how I understand the DynRPG from your post.

Harumph, maybe I should start looking at C++ now.

Note: I was thinking of a skill that consume additional gauge (well, it's something like your EP). As "EP" rises, more and more skills are added, but using them consumes the "EP" in the process.

I think there is no way to do this in RM2k3 (you can subtract the "EP" base on if hero use the command (subset) but the fact that you can not assign "EP" cost to individual skill remains).

Hopefully DynRPG is not that hard to write on.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
@s_w more or less. DynRPG handles how your RPG Maker game interprets your data, events, etc. in addition to pushing your own custom functionality into the project.

You are free to edit the RM2k/3 editor, and that's what things like Goliath are, but it doesn't change how the editor works. You're just changing cosmetic things, like the max number of characters in a hero name or the size of an editor window. This is typically done with something like resource hacker to edit the compiled executable.

In my system, the EP is just the character's MP. However, I didn't want to complicate the system so I reused MP as this new "EP" and displayed it in a cooler way. (Conveniently the traditional battle layout doesn't even display MP.)

With DynRPG you could definitely add a "new" pool of resources that are changed when your hero attacks, is damaged, or uses certain skills. It's a matter of presenting the data in a meaningful way for the user. The trouble of course comes from limiting usage of the abilities that use this new pool. DynRPG cannot handle manipulating the user skill table (one feature I really would like!) so you cannot add/remove skills with plugins yet.

Sorry rambling.
Reading all this is prompting me into learning C++ too. But it's no kitty walk. I can give you that, but perhaps as a beginner I can read the resource code given with the program, and add my own stuff with trail / error using a base decoy project. I might have to mess around with a bit of the stuff.

Say, DHM, do you know where the base Dynrpg coding for your project in general is?
I'm using the Faster ATB plugin dragonheartman made. All is good so far, but I'm not sure that I like the way DynRPG makes the monsters flash longer before they attack. It just looks kind of... awkward, especially because you can't move the cursor while the monster is flashing. It also causes a short but annoying delay that ends after the attack is over.

Maybe I'm just not used to it, I don't know. I'll try and figure out how to change it.
Well, after about 3 days of looking confused at C++, and using heavy trial and error, I'm going to try and make a plugin which adjusts the default battle interface. I can't guarantee it'll be completed. So it's nothing special, I just don't like the way the "Arrows" in battle are so high up from my characters.
@DragonHeartman
Yeah, Tradition mode doesn't show MP, but now you have to use battlechar to show status instead of words in before the HP (not a bad tradeoff really).

@EssenceBlade
I have to admit that I gave up after the first hour looking at some tutorial (no programming background, no clue where to start). It's all magic to me; for now.

----

I am going to sound like a lazy prick, but I think I'd rather wait for someone to make some battle related Plugin and start learning from there.

Honestly, I am kind of excited about DynRPG, but at the same time kind of disappointed with lack of completed plugins/examples. Then again, people might prefer to keep their work secret until they release their project or something.

Actually, writing this got me thinking if someone would make some beginner tutorials about using DynRPG from getting started to making small plugins/mods. That's be super.

There's a very short tutorial that comes with the program.
author=dethmetal
There's a very short tutorial that comes with the program.

This.

The tutorial Cherry provides you with about how to script the message box, and then the status effect system is the brimstone of everything to me. I'm already starting to learn the basis of callbacks and even edit certain interfaces to the menu, but not add anything (yet).

I think it's just down to the fact that I got really bored, made myself some tea and thought, right. Let's do this thing.

Downloaded the Code::Block program and huzzah. I can't say it's easy, but I'm enjoying it thus far. Maybe once I get out of being an omni-noob to this I'll help others who are beginning, but until then, the best place it start is those two tutorials Cherry demonstrates.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=dethmetal
I'm using the Faster ATB plugin dragonheartman made. All is good so far, but I'm not sure that I like the way DynRPG makes the monsters flash longer before they attack. It just looks kind of... awkward, especially because you can't move the cursor while the monster is flashing. It also causes a short but annoying delay that ends after the attack is over.

Maybe I'm just not used to it, I don't know. I'll try and figure out how to change it.

That's not the plugin it's the DynRPG itself, Cherry will fix it in the next version, hopefully the long enemy flash will remain BUT it will not halt other processes.

I think the speed is perfect!
Yeah, I know. I should've made that more clear. Can't wait for the next version, hopefully it'll be fixed.
Hey guys, allow me to pitch you an idea... You know, I only plan to have three active characters on my party at any given time, and while I don't mind that extra space on the menu (It can be useful to display convoy characters), I'm not much of a fan of it during battles; It just looks ugly. As does that floating commands menu taking up space in the middle of the screen for no apparent reason, and which has actually forced me to push all the graphics a bit to the right so it's not as obstructive. And talking about obstructive, you know how the messages are always display at the top of the screen, effectually obscuring your characters when they appear? Yeah, that sucks too.

Well, I'd like for things to be more like in rm2k. With all these elements neatly kept at the bottom of the screen. This would imply for the character portraits to stay on their initial position, and for their command menus to appear on top of the Main battle menu (Fight, Auto, Run) And well, for Messages to show on top of all this... Here's a little something to help illustrate my point.

So anyway, I'm not really requesting this. It's not like I -need- it or something. Just that if it's not too hard to do and someone doesn't mind to do it for me, or plans to do it for their game and feels like sharing, I would deeply appreciate it. =)

Thanks for listening~
dragonheartman
author=dethmetal

Yeah I sort of liked the longer skill window but it seems to be a bit obtrusive.

Regarding the flashing, that's nice but I agree, by default it doesn't need to do that. DynRPG already has the capabilities to apply a flash to monsters; I'm not too sure why Cherry included it by default.

Still, it's the greatest "patch" that has come out for RM2k/3 by far. There are some wonderful things you can do with it, but because of the limited interest, plugins will just be very few and far between.

As I mentioned before, my plugins haven't been officially "released" because they're really buggy, but if anyone needs any help I'd be more than happy to get you going.

@alterego, I agree. It can look ugly at times. I opted for making a battle backdrop with a smaller messagebox baked on, so I can show shorter messages that aren't as obtrusive. DynRPG may be able to handle this, but I haven't messed with window placement.

Say, DHM, do you know where the base Dynrpg coding for your project in general is?
I'm not sure what you mean. :)
For DynRPG, you write *.dlls, which because of the patch, your RPG_RT is aware of and has access to. The dlls are presumably native machine language that gets called and injected into the standard flow of execution (e.g, callbacks) in your RPG_RT. That means to use a plugin it's literally a matter of simply copying/pasting the dll into your DynPlugins folder.
author=dragonheartman
I'm not sure what you mean. :)
For DynRPG, you write *.dlls, which because of the patch, your RPG_RT is aware of and has access to. The dlls are presumably native machine language that gets called and injected into the standard flow of execution (e.g, callbacks) in your RPG_RT. That means to use a plugin it's literally a matter of simply copying/pasting the dll into your DynPlugins folder.

Oh, I see. I ask because I'm trying to edit the way the default menu works in RPG Maker. I'm trying to edit it, so that when I add something like a HP+50 Item, it updates WITHIN the menu, instead of you having to exit. I'm also trying to get the parameters to show aswell. Like while choosing to adjust your HP amount, it'll say something like "HP: 207 > 257" or "HP: 207 > 157"

I also want to get rid of that dumb blank space in the menu. I'm trying to add my own custom parameters within it. (Soul Fragments, Time Played, Steps Taken).

Also I want to get rid of the " - XX" which is shown on the end of skills when selecting them. So I can replace them with traits and field abilities.
Another feature that will be interesting in the battle system are can show a animation of dead enemy like in FF6 that when the bosses's dead its start to shaking and dissapearing showing like lines
author=dragonheartman
So Large, it sounds like you want time-based regenerative effects rather than turn-based. That's actually fairly easy to implement as well. Every couple frames you can check if an ATB has updated, and if so, add/subtract health from the actors that are affected with the stat effects.

@Feld, there was a battle system patch that cherry posted on his site, the only issue was that it was largely specific to a certain project and wasn't general enough to be of much use (if I recall correctly). DynRPG works best I'm learning with smaller modular patches that just target specific features so users can pick and choose the patches of their liking.

For example, in SU I have the following plugins:

- menu_updater.dll, which updates stats dynamically in the menu (such as max HP) when certain gear is equipped
- animated_monsters.dll, which animates every monster. Even cooler, the poses are stored in a folder based on the monster name, so I have something like /Monster/Green Slime/1.png for the first monster frame. I want to see if I can include additional animations (such as death and maybe even hurt) before I release this.
- threat.dll, which actually handles the new "Focus" System and some of the DBS interface updates. This has bloated out to handle all sorts of DBS tweaks here and there and I wish I'd actually go back and separate some of this out, but for now it is what it is.
- condition_icons.dll is a modification of Cherry's condition icons so the conditions are animated.

Lastly, I've been having more ideas than time, so I haven't been able to rapidly develop all of the ideas for plugins I've come up with, but I thought of another you guys might like: a proper Enter Hero Name command. ;)

I just wish I could actually sit down and do these instead of saying "OH IT'S EASY GUYS"

About death/hurt of monsters: You could use "blinkTimer" for checking for getting hurt, since the monster blinks when it gets hurt (blinkTimer is set to some value which I don't recall and then goes down to zero... you could directly set it to zero then (to avoid actual blinking) and show your animation instead).
Say, Cherry. Do you know if it's possible to remove the number of MP needed to use an ability completely? so it doesn't show "- 0"? Just for an individual skill (field skill). Or does it affect the whole skill database if you remove the parameter?
If anything, I'd kill for a way to fix that annoying bug in the DBS where if an enemy and a player take action at the same time, the player may lose their action. It's worse in the case of custom skills because when an enemy interrupts the dummy skill, the rest of the process doesn't go through and the character loses the MP required to use said skill on top of it.

If only there was a way to prevent action overlap so that sort of override nonsense didn't happen. It's the only thing keeping me on edge about my battle system otherwise.
author=Skie Fortress
If anything, I'd kill for a way to fix that annoying bug in the DBS where if an enemy and a player take action at the same time, the player may lose their action. It's worse in the case of custom skills because when an enemy interrupts the dummy skill, the rest of the process doesn't go through and the character loses the MP required to use said skill on top of it.

If only there was a way to prevent action overlap so that sort of override nonsense didn't happen. It's the only thing keeping me on edge about my battle system otherwise.

I think this is to do with the DBS update per command method. I know what you mean. I think you're going to have to edit the Default Battle system's timing methods somehow via C++ coding, and simply add a 0.1 second wait in between enemy > player skills, seeing as the player is able to get commands out quicker. I don't exactly know the code, callback or C++ method for the dbs, but I believe that's the only solution.
Well, you could just prevent enemies and heroes from reaching full ATB at the same time using C++ trickery...

@MPs: Would be possible, yes, but not via any "official" functions of the SDK. However, I can look up the address for you when I am at home and show you a "hackish" C++ line which will do it (by changing some bytes in memory).
dragonheartman
author=Skie Fortress

Skie--do you have battle event commands calling the same common event? I had this problem when all my characters/monsters were calling a single "update" common event when they attacked. The solution I discovered was to have each battler call their own common event rather than calling a "global" common event. It's not optimal, but it's a workaround.