TAKING SOME TIME OFF FOR HEALTH REASONS

author=DE
Now I know why To Arms! was so bad - it was your physical and mental pain projected outwards! Were you involved in the making of Human Centipede 2 by any chance?

I know you could have just had a really bad day but this seems pretty rude

Try not to stress out about this too much! Chron's might be hellish but the mortality rate is pretty low and I know a few people who live normally despite having Chron's
DE
*click to edit*
My apologies to all families harmed by my joke.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Managed to make myself make an appointment for the surgical consultation. March 26th, 2:00PM. Still have not managed to make myself make the urologist's appointment. I have extremely severe telephone phobia, too much pride to ask loved ones for much help, whole situation is difficult. Proud of myself for managing this much, it took fucking long enough; several weeks of procrastination.

My health insurance runs out on March 18th, my birthday. If I hadn't been too sick to work a real job for the past months and years, I might be able to qualify/pay for my own insurance. Fuck.

I could have gotten the surgical consult on March 16th, but it wouldn't have mattered. I need insurance for both the surgery itself (which I don't know when it will be but possibly a month or more from the consultation) and the recovery, so those extra 2 days wouldn't have helped much.

It's all not as bad as it sounds, hopefully, just a lot more bullshit I have to go through to try and straighten out all the insurance stuff on time (I should have a free/automatic extension through to April 18th, so at least there's that). Anyway, fuck.

Chron's might be hellish but the mortality rate is pretty low and I know a few people who live normally despite having Chron's

Either they're the very very very lucky very very very few, or you're confusing living normally with just plain living. I've had Crohn's for about twelve years so I feel qualified to talk about this. The best case scenario is multiple surgeries over the course of your life, constant medication, more or less constant pain or fear of pain, and certainly as a baseline MINIMUM the constant fear of being able to reach a bathroom in time, wherever you are. If you're "living normally", you don't really have Crohn's disease.

If anyone is suffering less than that from Crohn's--and I've heard about a lot of people suffering more--then I think I might hate them even more than I hate everyone who doesn't have Crohn's, for being able to live that symptom free while still SAYING they have Crohn's.

That said, Crohn's disease itself doesn't kill you...right away. Either it's the complications that get you, or you live long enough to die of something unrelated.

I've never really thought of it this way while I was doing it, but most of the games/art/writing I've made have been responses to the stressors and pain in my life, including certainly that from Crohn's disease. This is especially true of my early work, like Iron Gaia and Backstage.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I don't usually do this sort of thing in public, and am a little worried that it took a week to find, but it needs to be said.

DE, your post was unacceptable and such things will not be tolerated by anyone, regardless of the circumstances and history with the other user. Even if it was in jest, it is important to maintain perspective here: one user is in a life-threatening situation and I bet that user does not appreciate attacks on the related condition.

We have a no personal attacks policy and have zero tolerance for blatant racism (especially in attacks against other users), sexism (against females OR males), or attacks against vulnerable users (as in this instance). There are always gray areas -- each instance will be judged on a case by case basis by the moderators -- but this is not one of them.

We will be reviewing DE's post and will come up with an appropriate response. If anyone has a response to my statement, please take it to user feedback.

Thank you!
I hope you wont mind the well wishes of a stranger. Here's hoping for the best of your health!
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Welcome to RMN! Post lots!
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Surgical consultation was yesterday.

My surgery is set for April 10th, two weeks from today. It seems much too soon.

I'm going to go under general anesthesia and then laproscipically have my colon "mobilized" and have a section of my distal ileum, my cecum, and my appendix removed. (My appendix I guess just because "why not".) They can't actually remove it laprscopically. They make the cuts laprscopically and then make a large incision comparable to an appendectomy scar to pull the removed eight or ten inches of intestines out through. Whenever I think about it, I feel faint. It's like that scene in every zombie movie ever where the zombies rip open some poor guy's guts and pull them out. I imagine it will be much more sterile than that and not involve any pig intestines. But still. Same basic principle.

Before surgery I'm going on a clear liquid diet (i.e. fasting) for two days, with trilyte preparation (i.e. diarrhea). I'm going to be intubated (general anesthesia automatically infers this) and catheterized and all that good crap. Surgery on the day I'm admitted to the hospital, 3-5 days recovery in the hospital, 4 to 6 weeks outpatient recovery. May or may not have permanent diarrhea for the rest of my life because the cecum is the part of the bowel that absorbs liquids. Yay. (Sad irony: diarrhea is not currently a symptom I suffer from Crohn's.)

Do not want.

In fact, want so little that my SURGEON has prescribed me Xanax (presumably for the two weeks leading up to the surgery). I'm not sure it will do any good.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
RMN's userbase gave you Crohn's with our psychic powers that we use as a hivemind against you

WE CAN ALSO GIVE YOU DIARRHEA

i mean, shit sucks, I feel bad for anybody who has to undergo stuff like that, but, like, why do you think RMN cares, haven't you left three times or so anyway
User was warned for this post
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Tact Craze

do you speak it
author=Yellow Magic
Tact Craze

do you speak it

You don't get it, he's RMN's supervillain! That means he can say whatever the fuck he wants and just claim he's living his gimmick!

No but seriously, Craze, shut the fuck up you insufferable piece of shit.

edit: although i can see a point towards "too much info" for a public discussion, Max.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I get warned for quoting max's own words, nice
It's pretty obvious that RMN cares a little bit considering the three pages of well wishes/discussion on the matter, Craze. I've always appreciated your honesty, but I never understood why you seem unable to hold your tongue against saying mean shit.

Longtime user opens up about a very personal matter/debilitating illness, Craze asks why he thinks anyone would care. Stay classy.
Man oh man, I had no idea that you were suffering from Crohn's Disease. I can't even imagine how scary the whole premise of the surgery is to you. The only time I ever got surgery was when I was essentially just getting something cut out from an area that's pretty much just fat and muscle, and that scared the hell out of me knowing that I had to go through with it. I can't even fathom what you must be feeling, given your surgery has so much more to it!

Here's hoping that the surgery and recovery both go smoothly for you with as few issues (crapping blood, etc.) as possible!
Craze's post. An analysis.

RMN's userbase gave you Crohn's with our psychic powers that we use as a hivemind against you
WE CAN ALSO GIVE YOU DIARRHEA
^A joke, putting an spin on Max McGee's own bitter words, but still a joke. The use of all caps on the last phrase (the punchline) denotes the jesting nature of the comment. No one should be offended for this kind of thing. Learn to differentiate humor, please.

i mean, shit sucks, I feel bad for anybody who has to undergo stuff like that, but, like, why do you think RMN cares, haven't you left three times or so anyway
^A true, honest, and polite statement. The amount of spaces he left before it, tells us he's aware it's kind of an off-topic comment (That's tact for you, btw) But ultimately it's something that shouldn't be reprimanded at all, given that this is a forum where we can openly express and discuss our ideas. (Though, sometimes I wonder if it really is...)

But the undeniable truth is that while we all do care for anybody going through something like this, we don't care as much as to wanting an attention grabbing post every time someone "leaves".

And... here it comes, here it comes, here it comes, I can already see it... my very... first... warn...?

Edit: lol, FG. You so silly. ;D
Edit: Haha! This is so rich!
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I agree with this, I thought Craze's post was sincere and funny, without an ounce of nastiness, I know Max's situation, but do we all have to stand mute and erect like around a deathbed?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
There is context to everything.

Anyway, good luck with the surgery!
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Max :(
I hope you make it okay.
Time for a change in pace!

From this post on all posts must be on topic in regards to Crohn's Disease or Max's surgery.

Failure to do so will result in an immediate one week ban. Remember that posters must deal with the consequences of their post, even if it is in jest. Or dumb.