POST YOUR DESKTOP

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=LockeZ
When you have this much crap on your desktop, you end up sorting it into rows.
Row 1: System
Row 2: Internet
Row 3: Office Productivity
Row 4: Multimedia
Row 5: Game Development
Row 6: Collections of Games
Row 7: Individual Games
Rows 8-9: Free space for whatever files I want quick access to

I used to have a lot more individual games on my desktop, but I moved most of them inside Steam because they were taking up multiple rows. The ones on my desktop are ones I've played in the last few months.

Yes I am using Windows XP. Bite me. I don't mind Windows 7, but I refuse to reinstall my over 250 pieces of software until I have to. So far all the games I want still work on XP.
My desktop is clean (or irrelevant). I do this kind of sorting in my Win XP Start Menu shortcuts, and use the Quickbar to put the things I use most frequently.

As a rule, I hate having things on the desktop. Especially actual files, like a Word document. That irks me so much when I see someone does that. I don't even like using My Documents. The filepath to anything on the desktop or My Documents or anything "user-y" is just reediculous and cumbersome (no I dont want things to go to C:\Documents and Settings\kanderso\My Documents\Downloads, I want them in C:\Downloads). Windows 7 solution? MAKE EVERYTHING user-y and obfuscate things even more. (Also, make everything bigger and more intrusive. No, I don't care what the icon looks like. I need to know the filename and the file extension, size, type, and date modified, and how many files are in the folder. WHY ARE GIANT ICONS DEFAULT.

OH and here's a link to everything you ever installed in one giant disorganized scrolling list. Thanks Start Menu! (I haven't attempted to organize my Start Menu All Program links in my Win7 laptop because I haven't cared enough to. Is it still possible to create folders in there and move shortcut links into those folders, like you could in WinXP?)
It is possible -- at first I was irked too about how different it was from XP, but being able to pull up nearly any program, shortcut or file in a few keystrokes is a great feature (Windows key, P, h, photoshop elements is highlighted and enter runs).

Of course that doesn't change its inherent clutter if you're looking to organize things, but as it is now it's possible to make wide use of it without ever clicking or scrolling through.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, the All Programs list in Windows 7 still works like it did in Windows 95 through XP. You'll hate Windows 8 though. (Everyone will hate Windows 8. I've used the demo. It's terrible. You don't even have a start menu. Windows Explorer is gone too.)

And yeah most of my programs are either only in my start menu, or are in Program Files and don't even have a shortcut anywhere. Only the ones I use most often are on my desktop. Yes, the 50 programs on my desktop are "only the ones I use most often." 250 pieces of software wasn't an exaggeration, it was a conservative estimate.
"Windows Explorer is gone too."

What.

but maybe I am just stodgy and need to proactively shift paradigms or something. A file system? HAHAHA GRAMPS! what is this 1995? LOL!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
LockeZ
You don't even have a start menu. Windows Explorer is gone too.)

how is this an OS
You can switch from the 'smartphone' view in Win8 to standard taskbar-and-desktop with some keystroke IIRC.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah it has more in common with an iPad than with previous iterations of Windows. I didn't know you could switch to a classic view; I couldn't figure out how.
As a rule, Microsoft releases OSes about at twice the rate that any one is actually demanding from them. Coincidentally enough, it seems like every second OS from them flops. (...and if XP was a winner, Vista flopped, and Win 7 is a winner, will Win 8 be a flop?)
Okay I'll bite.

Desktop is pretty cluttered because I've been too lazy to delete stuff for my game that has already been imported.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
not too many things (I also have the windows desktop, but I'm generally on this one) :
I'm one of those people who finds things better when it's a mess...so...yeah...
I'm also a game fanatic. You should see my entire collection.

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
@rgangsta : I really like yours, a forest of games, also those big icons.
Thanks, chana! I just realized my Steam shortcut is gone. D:
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.

I chose a suitable desktop that fits with my mentality.

the backdrop fits the mess of the foreground

also R.I.P. nightowl
Wow, you revived a 2.5 year old thread. XD
Better than making a new one, ya? :D
If I weren't reviving things, the Post Your Art topic would be starting to starve u_u
Or not, since I think it's pinned but whateverrrr
also what's 2.5yrs when the universe spans 3.798±0.037 billion years right
True, here's mine then. XD

Sims 3 and gam mak is all I do. ><
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/29496/locker/Desktop.png

Macro photography makes the best wallpaper.

Man, I consider my desktop to be a mess. I don't know how some of you guys survive with that many icons. I try to just have the Recycle Bin in the corner most of the time, and place everything I'm using on the menu bar.

I need to clean this up ASAP.
Pages: first prev 123 next last