LUNATICS WITH GUNS, DOMESTIC TERRORISTS AND HOMOPHOBIA...

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
To imply that a 'majority' of Muslims across the world would say that murdering 50+ people was a good thing is racism.
author=Solitayre
To imply that a 'majority' of Muslims across the world would say that murdering 50+ people was a good thing is racism.

I absolutely do not agree with SnowOwl that a majority of Muslims would agree with this. But I've been to the Middle East. There are a huge swath of people in the Islam faith, there and otherwise, who believe in a radical interpretation of the faith and they influence others to do so. That is a problem.

Also, I have no idea how this fits into things. Someone chime in on this and correct this if this article is inaccurate (I'm not using this as an argument, just a sidebar)
Solitayre
Sure. There are definitely radicalized elements in Islam. I appreciate that you are actually citing numbers instead of just saying things based on nothing. But there are a lot of Muslims in the world. I'ts not a majority. Not even close. Saying the majority would approve of actions like this is simply not based on fact. The study you link suggests that in fact only a very small number would. Maybe its higher in some areas in the Middle East, but the Middle East isn't even where a majority of Muslims live. Most Muslims actually live in South-East Asia and the kinds of problems that plague the Middle East don't happen there to my knowledge.

Regarding approval of homosexuality, a large number of people in America also disapprove. The most recent numbers I can find are from Wikipedia here where in 2015 40% of voters opposed same-sex marriage. not sure what the numbers would look like if you polled a specific religious subset in the U.S.
But that's the thing; it's not as simple as 'a lot of Muslims want to blow people up', which like you said, isn't true; there are +billion Muslims in the world, and the vast, vast majority are peaceful and want to live out their lives. Hell, when I was in the Middle East like I mentioned above, a lot of people were just regular ass people wanting to live out their regular ass lives (addendum, shawarma is the shit, by the way, Tony Stark wasn't bullshiting).

The problem is that the small number of Muslims who do believe in garbage have a disproportionate influence upon the world; some nutcase out there who wants to kill everyone who isn't uh say, Mormon ultimately doesn't equate to shit. Meanwhile, entire countries are run by individuals who oppress their people and others, and commit violent acts because they justify it via Islam, places like Saudi Arabia, Syria, and so on. And let's not forget about ISIS.

The existence, growth, and ability for groups like ISIS to have such massive recruitment, and to recruit young people from Western countries all over the world is also another example of the disproportionate influence that radical Islam has. Furthermore, while Christian extremism is still a big issue in places like Africa and some parts of the ME and Southeast Asia, yes, so is radical Islam; the Westboro Baptist Church isn't going to strap a bomb to themselves and blow up a market. An adherent to ISIS flavored Islam would, and they do. Furthermore, they are able to convince youngsters from Germany and the UK to do it.

So no, most Muslim people want no part of any of this garbage, but to deny that radicalism of the Muslim faith isn't a giant elephant in the room, and a huge problem is doing those peaceful Muslims who just want to get on with their lives a giant disservice. I know Muslims who absolutely abhor violence and it infuriates me to see them lumped in with pieces of shit like the guy who did this act.
Solitayre
I think we agree with each other so I'm not sure why we're arguing! I am either bad at thinking or bad at words.
Nah man it's cool! I don't mean to argue, I mostly want to lay out how I feel in general for those interested in my thoughts.
May the unfortunate souls rest in peace. My thoughts go to there friends and families.

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to allow your citizens to buy fully automatic rifles, let alone with extended magazines.

These are clearly designed for killing people.
author=Xoeis
Personally I don't think it's a good idea to allow your citizens to buy fully automatic rifles, let alone with extended magazines.

Did he legally purchase it?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's all about responsibility, Xoe. I won't try to play off how powerful assault rifles are but you could get a similar effect from gasoline and a match. Most gun owners are responsible, it's just that those who aren't get the spotlight for their deranged actions.
author=Solitayre

It's a fact that Islam as a religion (and in effect, the followers) says to do bad shit to people putting dicks where they don't think they belong. But it's not an insignificant number that support shit like bombings. Call me a racist all you want but if anyone is racist, it's muslims.

Statistics
World Public Opinion: 83% of Egyptians approve of attacks on American troops.
26% of Indonesians approve of attacks on American troops.
26% of Pakistanis approve of attacks on American troops.
68% of Moroccans approve of attacks on American troops.
90% of Palestinians approve of attacks on American troops.
72% of Jordanians approve of attacks on American troops.
52% of Turks approve of some or most groups that attack Americans (39% oppose)
A minority of Muslims disagreed entirely with terror attacks on American troops.
About half of those opposed to attacking Americans were sympathetic with al-Qaeda’s attitude toward the U.S.
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf

ICM (2016): 2 in 3 Muslims in Britain would not report terror plot to police.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4730825.ece
Palestinian Center for Political Research (2015): 74% of Palestinians support Hamas terror attacks.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/support-for-hamas-skyrockets-following-war-poll-shows/
BBC Radio (2015): 45% of British Muslims agree that clerics preaching violence against the West represent "mainstream Islam".
http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/bbc-radio-4-today-muslim-poll/
Pew Research (2013): Only 57% of Muslims worldwide disapprove of al-Qaeda. Only 51% disapprove of the Taliban. 13% support both groups and 1 in 4 refuse to say.
http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/09/10/muslim-publics-share-concerns-about-extremist-groups/
Makes me sick how the politicians are going to use this event to there advantage.
That's just what politicians do. Though.

I don't really want to turn this topic into a talk about people owning fire arms.
But seriously allowing people to legally buy magazines that can hold 100+ rounds?

Why?

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Lunatics with guns and whiskers on kittens
Domestic terrorists and woolen mittens
Brown people beaten and tied up with string
These are a few of my favorite things

Homophobia and crisp apple strudels
Gun laws and sex laws and schnitzel with noodles
Bombs strapped to dudes riding airplanes with wings

Girls in black burkas, with blue satin sashes
Fallout that stays on my nose and eyelashes
Nuclear winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites, when the CIA stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad
Thank god the poet is here to rearrange words
ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=SnowOwl
author=Solitayre
It's a fact that Islam as a religion (and in effect, the followers) says to do bad shit to people putting dicks where they don't think they belong. But it's not an insignificant number that support shit like bombings. Call me a racist all you want but if anyone is racist, it's muslims.

Statistics
World Public Opinion: 83% of Egyptians approve of attacks on American troops.
26% of Indonesians approve of attacks on American troops.
26% of Pakistanis approve of attacks on American troops.
68% of Moroccans approve of attacks on American troops.
90% of Palestinians approve of attacks on American troops.
72% of Jordanians approve of attacks on American troops.
52% of Turks approve of some or most groups that attack Americans (39% oppose)
A minority of Muslims disagreed entirely with terror attacks on American troops.
About half of those opposed to attacking Americans were sympathetic with al-Qaeda’s attitude toward the U.S.
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/feb09/STARTII_Feb09_rpt.pdf

ICM (2016): 2 in 3 Muslims in Britain would not report terror plot to police.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4730825.ece
Palestinian Center for Political Research (2015): 74% of Palestinians support Hamas terror attacks.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/support-for-hamas-skyrockets-following-war-poll-shows/
BBC Radio (2015): 45% of British Muslims agree that clerics preaching violence against the West represent "mainstream Islam".
http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/bbc-radio-4-today-muslim-poll/
Pew Research (2013): Only 57% of Muslims worldwide disapprove of al-Qaeda. Only 51% disapprove of the Taliban. 13% support both groups and 1 in 4 refuse to say.
http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/09/10/muslim-publics-share-concerns-about-extremist-groups/
nice cherry picking dude, kindly fuck off now
SnowOwl

I mean, I know this thread fucking sucks and all, but you really don't need to use it as a platform to spray your racist filth everywhere, you sad little man.

Pretty much every time I see you post I'm fucking astonished that you haven't been banned yet. RMN is super fuckin' lenient.

(I was gonna post my opinion about assault rifle ownership here but there's really no point, is there? I just get shot down for "not understanding".)
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
SnowOwl hasn't done anything wrong (apart from offering his bad opinion).

I question this threads existence in the first place as I have no idea what Corfaisus would want to discuss.

Condolences to the friends/families/acquaintances of anyone affected by this tragedy.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=Yellow Magic
SnowOwl hasn't done anything wrong (apart from offering his bad opinion).

I question this threads existence in the first place as I have no idea what Corfaisus would want to discuss.

Condolences to the friends/families/acquaintances of anyone affected by this tragedy.
I don't understand why you can question Corfaisus' motives in creating a thread surrounding a major political event, yet can say SnowOwl has done nothing wrong in hijacking the thread to push his own mindless agenda.

SnowOwl has either deliberately or negligently ignored parts of the study, which came off the back of the Bush era so cannot speak for the current situation, to paint the majority of muslims as terrorist sympathizers. He's missed so many of the contextual factors of the study, I'm seriously questioning whether he's read it or has simply pulled out what he feels supports his own warped views.

So yeah, he's doing nothing wrong alright /s
Solitayre
author=Feldschlacht IV
author=Xoeis
Did he legally purchase it?

I don't know where he got his assault rifle specifically but I know he was buying guns legally as recently as last week, despite being on an FBI Watch List as a potential threat.
Solitayre
Also, it is fine for threads like this to exist and for people to want to discuss this. It is a major current even in the U.S. right now. As long as everybody stays civil I, at least, have no issue with it.

I know passions and tempers can be inflamed in discussions like this so I just ask that everybody be cool and not be a jerk. That's it.

Racism is not welcome on these boards.
Nitpicking about numbers is fun and all, but even if it's just 1/10 (it's not) that doesn't give a shit if someone nukes the western parts of the world (and especially non-hetero people), that's still a shit-ton more than I'm comfortable with. Scream "racism" like little children all you want, but that's my view on it.