HAND-HOLDING IN GAMES

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I don't mind it as long as the game gives me a lot of romantic choices, that way I'm not stuck holding a girl's hand I don't like.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=kory_toombs
I don't mind it as long as the game gives me a lot of romantic choices, that way I'm not stuck holding a girl's hand I don't like.

SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ;_;
Are there actually many games that have hand holding being a -thing-? Usually even the innocent ones focus on a peck on the cheek or the like and not so much holding of hands. We need more holding of hands.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
You get hand holding if you get the good ending of Remnants of Isolation. Just sayin
You do! And it was cute af.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
The world would be a better place if more people held hands instead of clinching their fists.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=InfectionFiles
The world would be a better place if more people held hands instead of clinching their fists.

I mean, isn't that just clenching your fist with someone else's hand in it? Both you and the other person are clenching your fists, just one fist is inside the other.

...Wow. Holding hands is such an aggressive act.

*hits blunt*
InfectionFiles
author=Red_Nova
author=InfectionFiles
I mean, isn't that just clenching your fist with someone else's hand in it? Both you and the other person are clenching your fists, just one fist is inside the other.

*hits blunt*
Woooooow. *takes blunt and hits it* Wooooow.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Red_Nova

BLASPHEMY
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Calm down, unity! No need to resort to hand-holding!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
You can't really clench a fist while holding someone's hand, unless you're crushing that person's hand.
InfectionFiles
author=Sooz
You can't really clench a fist while holding someone's hand, unless you're crushing that person's hand.
Does that count for butts as well?
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Liberty
Are there actually many games that have hand holding being a -thing-? Usually even the innocent ones focus on a peck on the cheek or the like and not so much holding of hands. We need more holding of hands.

And that while holding hands is a really great way of showing intimacy while a peck on the cheek is just not. In fact, it's something you do while meeting distant family in many cultures.
I actually think the lack of hand-holding in games is mostly because of technological constraints. It's very difficult to have two independent things interact without it looking bad. In the sprite era you would have to basically turn it the two independent actors into one and sprite the hand-holding for a cutscene separately. Just having two sprites move close enough to each other so that it seemed like the held hands just doesn't work very well generally.

And in 3d you had those one-polygon hands for quite long and whenever there was hand-holding they'd just merge into one block. And when hands started to look like hands through texturing mostly it looked even worse when the two blocks tried to interact. And when hands started to be more modeled it is probably still pretty hard. I mean compare to how hard it seems to be able to get a 3d character to walk up stairs. How hard must it not be for fingers to intertwine?
Look, If we can have Galuf and Barts jump around the room when finding out that Faris was a girl, as well as have Leviathan, which was bigger than a tile or two, I see no issue with having a larger sprite that was two sprites holding hands. >.<

I mean, it's not _that_ hard to do when you think about it... They had Bartz get on his chocobo easily enough. And princess climbed onto her dragon too. Interaction between sprites wasn't exactly unknown.

(Also, Sephiroth 'interacting' with Aeris would like to talk to people about the polygon age)
Sooz
author=InfectionFiles
author=Sooz
Does that count for butts as well?

If your butt isn't literally clenched all the time, then I don't know what to say to you, man. You got a loose butt.

Alternately: You should not be holding someone's hand with your butt.
author=Liberty
Look, If we can have Galuf and Barts jump around the room when finding out that Faris was a girl, as well as have Leviathan, which was bigger than a tile or two, I see no issue with having a larger sprite that was two sprites holding hands. >.<

I mean, it's not _that_ hard to do when you think about it... They had Bartz get on his chocobo easily enough. And princess climbed onto her dragon too. Interaction between sprites wasn't exactly unknown.

Getting on a mount (tends to) turns it into one sprite. So yeah it's doable for scenes where two independent actors merge into one. But all of those special animations do require extra work. (compare to attacks where there's usually a "hit" animation on top to disguise the fact that the two things don't interact "properly")

And jumping around a room doesn't have two things interact.

(Also, Sephiroth 'interacting' with Aeris would like to talk to people about the polygon age)

I don't remember how Sephiroth interacted with Aeris. The thing I remember is a sword going through her, but that's just like having two blocky hands become one blocky hand. The things literally go through each other. Now on the other hand the more difficult thing was probably Cloud holding Aeris and putting her down into that watery thing (I can't remember). But that animation is kinda awkward.

And as I wrote this I did a quick lookup of the death scene and noticed that most of the interactive bits were pre-rendered. But there seems to be a real-time bit where Cloud is holding Aeris and it's pretty awkward, though they do try their best.
Sooz
Heh heh

"interacting"
Speaking of nothing at all. You know what is even harder than holding hands and something that should be in more games?

Hugs.