VILLAGES, TOWNS, AND CITIES.

Best towns for me are the ones in Dragon Quest games. They offer so much and you usually spend a lot of time just randomly trying to find the next mini medal.

As far as RPG Maker games go I thought the massive city in The Way (from episode 4 to 6 IIRC) was great. The mapping was excellent and there were different areas of society much like in real life.
author=Scribble link=topic=2462.msg44428#msg44428 date=1226859965
And often (More of a case with the RPGs that follow Dragon Quest) The only buildings worth going in are the ones marked with a sword/armour/staff/inn symbol.

author=tsimehC link=topic=2462.msg46724#msg46724 date=1227543765
Best towns for me are the ones in Dragon Quest games. They offer so much and you usually spend a lot of time just randomly trying to find the next mini medal.

I think this summarizes the topic pretty nicely. It is probably a matter of taste!

I like it either way, as long as the game design is good or the writing is good or there is something good that draws me in. In the case of Dragon Quest, for example, the NPC dialogue is usually pretty clever and there is always stuff to find hidden around. In the case of Fallout, the cities are huge and dynamic and you can have a significant impact on them.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Towns can be absolute nightmares when they're not done right (Which is often): labyrinths full of multiple-floor houses with absolutely nothing in them but the occasional 10G and an NPC uttering a random line about her husband's drinking problem, and only a vague indication as to what area you have to step in to trigger the next 'story event.' And often (More of a case with the RPGs that follow Dragon Quest) The only buildings worth going in are the ones marked with a sword/armour/staff/inn symbol.

I think you're a bit too picky. The above described RPG town is the only way to make several RPG towns in one game without losing your sanity. You have to take into account the patience and work ethic of the game creator, and making all these towns "living, breathing" towns is a monstrous undertaking, but hey, go for it. I think if the game had only ONE town, that living breathing option would be more viable.
author=harmonic link=topic=2462.msg46731#msg46731 date=1227545861
Towns can be absolute nightmares when they're not done right (Which is often): labyrinths full of multiple-floor houses with absolutely nothing in them but the occasional 10G and an NPC uttering a random line about her husband's drinking problem, and only a vague indication as to what area you have to step in to trigger the next 'story event.' And often (More of a case with the RPGs that follow Dragon Quest) The only buildings worth going in are the ones marked with a sword/armour/staff/inn symbol.

I think you're a bit too picky. The above described RPG town is the only way to make several RPG towns in one game without losing your sanity. You have to take into account the patience and work ethic of the game creator, and making all these towns "living, breathing" towns is a monstrous undertaking, but hey, go for it. I think if the game had only ONE town, that living breathing option would be more viable.

Or you could actually work less in dungeons and more in towns (which to me have far more interesting elements to work with, including battles and puzzles if the creator wants). To my liking, dungeons should be really short, mission oriented and eventful, towns should be big, more open anded and fill about 70% of the game :P

I don't expect every town to be living and breathing -- to the extent of Radiata Stories, at least. I just prefer towns in which, because the 'game' does not stop when you leave a dungeon. I like it when towns are filled with little scenarios and the like, so when you walk into a house there's at least a prospect of actually finding something interesting. I like towns that are 'social dungeons.'

author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=2462.msg46760#msg46760 date=1227559628
Then maybe you should be playing The Sims?

Or Persona 3.
author=Scribble link=topic=2462.msg46766#msg46766 date=1227561516
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=2462.msg46760#msg46760 date=1227559628
Then maybe you should be playing The Sims?

Or Persona 3.

Pretty much every Persona game, my favourite is still Persona 2 since 3 didn´t interest me too much at first.

The point is that The Sims is not adventure and is (as far as I know) set in our world with no manga style sprites for characters and much less magic and robots... booooooooooring

Cities do have room for everything dungeons could, and honestly, I´d prefer to fight bandits invading a town than kill animals in a shithole cave anytime :P
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games

THIS IS ME.
I find cities to be a good source of charm in an RPG, like a city that reminds you of a real-world city (i.e. London or some such), or a city that's memorable for some unique characteristic it has (like FFIX's Lindblum being a city contained within a giant castle, or Skies of Arcadia's Valua being protected by the Grand Fortress ).

I also agree with the puzzle-in-a-city idea. We've seen puzzles in dungeons, wilderness, and destroyed cities and temples, but I've never played a game where there was a puzzle in the same place I can rest, buy items, etc.

For the record, I don't mind cities that are only rest stops or the bridge to the next story event. Depending on how the event is executed, it might just blow your mind (endgame Valua, SoA fans?).
I came up with a strange idea not too long ago where the game is set in a town where everyone (the town NPCS) are turned into stone. The town is crawling with monsters since the guards are also turned into stone. You basically had to collect items called Un-Petrification Water, for each Water you had, you could take away the stone effect from one NPC. You can find the Water in a cave (a dungeon) to the north or in hidden spots of the town.

The interesting part about this design, is that if you revive say... the Inn keeper, you can rest in the inn. If you revive a guard, there will be less monsters running around, if you revive a shopkeeper, he'll open shop. etc. As you revive each NPC more and more, the town becomes brighter and the music changes overtime from a dreary atmospheric place, to an upbeat happy populated area.

I'm not sure if this was EVER done before, but this is something I came up with. I could never really get into making this idea into a project, because I couldn't make a cool story behind this idea to keep me interested. I probably could put this into full swing if I really tried, but I already have a project that needs to be completed before anything else. If anyone wants to steal this idea, feel free.

Of course this is over the top when it comes to making towns interesting. I'd just like to see towns that aren't set in really common places. I liked Chrono Cross for being started in a really small beach town that was really vibrant. I also remember an RPG Maker game where the home town was a BOAT. A town in the middle of a field or a forest is just boring, changing the setting can make it 10 times more interesting.
At the same time, change for the sake of change can be superficial. A town has a purpose. Even if you don't dedicate a lot of time into its NPC's, at least consider why it's there, what resources they gather, and what significance it plays in the plot (even if it is just a rest stop).
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Towns are for sleeping and mysteriously just-a-tad-bit-better equipment... nothing more, unless there are mini medals.
author=Darken link=topic=2462.msg68486#msg68486 date=1238337432
I came up with a strange idea not too long ago where the game is set in a town where everyone (the town NPCS) are turned into stone. The town is crawling with monsters since the guards are also turned into stone. You basically had to collect items called Un-Petrification Water, for each Water you had, you could take away the stone effect from one NPC. You can find the Water in a cave (a dungeon) to the north or in hidden spots of the town.

The interesting part about this design, is that if you revive say... the Inn keeper, you can rest in the inn. If you revive a guard, there will be less monsters running around, if you revive a shopkeeper, he'll open shop. etc. As you revive each NPC more and more, the town becomes brighter and the music changes overtime from a dreary atmospheric place, to an upbeat happy populated area.

I'm not sure if this was EVER done before, but this is something I came up with. I could never really get into making this idea into a project, because I couldn't make a cool story behind this idea to keep me interested. I probably could put this into full swing if I really tried, but I already have a project that needs to be completed before anything else. If anyone wants to steal this idea, feel free.

Of course this is over the top when it comes to making towns interesting. I'd just like to see towns that aren't set in really common places. I liked Chrono Cross for being started in a really small beach town that was really vibrant. I also remember an RPG Maker game where the home town was a BOAT. A town in the middle of a field or a forest is just boring, changing the setting can make it 10 times more interesting.
Hey. Make this into a mission in Missiongarde.

this sounds a bit like that... uuuh, top-down action/rpg where you hack n' slash your way through a dreamworld in order to... recreate the town (and npcs). I don't remember much of it, much less it's name, but it was pretty damn brilliant. One instance, your character didn't have any name or character of sorts, but when you got back the lonely lady (or whatever), she "took you in" and treated you as her child (apart from healing/resting, it didn't have any gameplay relevance if I remember correctly, just some nice character interaction or whatever)

ALSO I like my sewers if they're done correctly and not just tedious. Not that I ever achieved this myself.

This sounds pretty cool. I'd play something with this idea in it.

Imagine having to explain to the last guy why you chose to revive everyone else before him, though... ouch.

Also, Mr.Nemo, that game sounds fairly interesting. It sounds like it might be... Alundra? But, I never got too far in that, so I couldn't confirm it.
I have made living breathing towns so good that I get stuck in them myself with everything good. people have their own schedules, there are quests, witty banter, insight and so on.

Too bad no one cares. I have learned towns are get in, get out.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=maia link=topic=2462.msg70615#msg70615 date=1239681803
Too bad no one cares. I have learned towns are get in, get out.

Haha. RPG towns are like men. No talk, just get in, take care of business, and get out.
author=Eike link=topic=2462.msg70575#msg70575 date=1239662535
Also, Mr.Nemo, that game sounds fairly interesting. It sounds like it might be... Alundra? But, I never got too far in that, so I couldn't confirm it.

SOUL BLAZER
Unless you're making an RPG that spends all it's story in one town, RPG towns are simply vending machines for items, equipment and cheaply written quest instructions.

(Like how for example would a housewife NPC know what the legendary dragon in the ruins on the other side of the kingdom is weak against?)