YEAR-END 2019 MISAO DISCUSSION.

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I think an event that is all about promoting YOUR misao candidate for the year is a great idea. Others can participate by doing reviews, let's plays, even a tiny MS reward of commenting on the game page could work.
author=Illy
I think an event that is all about promoting YOUR misao candidate for the year is a great idea. Others can participate by doing reviews, let's plays, even a tiny MS reward of commenting on the game page could work.

author=LordBlueRouge
-permit self promoting during this event because, the main objective of the event should be to round up a list of games to review for the year end misao awards.

...The harsh reality is that, yes, promoting your game for the misaos, is just as important as the game itself and we should be using these events as a way for others to constructively learn those skills required to do that. Sometimes, writing a simple blog post just to let people know that your game exists is enough. But there are also other, more constructive ways, to promote your game and people really should be using these events to figure out those strategies as well.

I think it would do devs a lot of good if they were told they COULD self-promote, because I've avoided doing so due to 1) self-promotion efforts on other platforms being largely a failure (Turovero has been out for 6 months and has only a few hundred downloads total) and 2) the feeling I would be seen as arrogant or conceited by doing so. The "if my game is really good, it should speak for itself, trying to speak for it would be arrogant" mindset, so to speak.
author=QZProductions
2) the feeling I would be seen as arrogant or conceited by doing so. The "if my game is really good, it should speak for itself, trying to speak for it would be arrogant" mindset, so to speak.

Pretty much this.
author=QZProductions
2) the feeling I would be seen as arrogant or conceited by doing so. The "if my game is really good, it should speak for itself, trying to speak for it would be arrogant" mindset, so to speak.

YUP, I know that feel.

Also, most other forums have a direct rule against "self-advertizing your content", so it's really hard to unlearn it here for your own RPGs. XD

Finally, don't feel too bad about the low download count. Downloads are down a bunch since as near as a few years ago, and getting "discovered" at all can be pretty hard.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I get the reluctance to self-promote. I've always felt, at least in the context of the Featured Game thread, that self-promotion is frowned on, if not outright disallowed. Then again, that thread doesn't have the kind of time-limit on what games can be suggested/nominated for it, like the Misaos do. On the other hand, self-promotion is sometimes the only way to let people know things exist in the first place!

*Edit: The whole "people probably don't even know this exists" is, like, the #1 reason why I tried shilling Baclyae Revolution in this thread. That, and I feel it might actually win something. "Lawsuit Waiting To Happen" would be nice, but, "How the Hell Did They Do That?" would be pretty awesome.
author=QZProductions

This echoes my feelings as well. I've tried my best not to beg for votes or shove it in peoples faces. The only Misao I'm actively hoping for is Summoner of Sounds since my game has a fully original soundtrack created by a friend of mine - I'd love to tell him other people loved his work as much as I do!

I've been so lucky this year though, having people like LordBlueRouge and Darken creating topics like this and mentioning the game on Discord. Quite a few people have fought my corner the past few months, and I'm really grateful for it.

It's a lot of effort to create a topic like this, and to keep drumming up interest. There's a lot of good contenders this year. I'd like to say a big thanks to all that have contributed to this topic, and good luck to those eligible. Great work!
I'm going to keep suggesting this til the day I die but I think there should just be a single GOTY category + single voting round where everyone inputs their top 10 and the resulting list is a collective top 10. If you didn't play enough games then cool, the people that did have more voting power. More obscure gems might float to the top and I don't have to feel bad for nixing one game for another. The same way we did those impromptu best RPGMaker games of all time lists.

In general I think the Misaos should reflect the user/game population of the community at this point because the current system feels like it's tailored for a bigger community that doesn't require a rev up reminder topic. Me and LBR kinda got burnt out on the curation process and it's just hard to generate enough buzz. I'm also fine with "Hey, I made this thing this year!" because the Misaos can afford to be more casual.
author=Little Wing Guy
This echoes my feelings as well. I've tried my best not to beg for votes or shove it in peoples faces. The only Misao I'm actively hoping for is Summoner of Sounds since my game has a fully original soundtrack created by a friend of mine - I'd love to tell him other people loved his work as much as I do!

I wouldn't mind the honor for Turovero either, since the soundtrack is probably what I'm the most proud of for the game. Composing for it was so much fun that I'm actually going to start taking music commissions in the near future :D Good luck to you and your game my dude!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Darken,
Every year I appreciate this curation round and I think that it often brings more attention to smaller and obscure games.
I'm up for a change too but a different one. I would let a jury of five to ten people choose several nominees for every category and then voting be a popular choice. Revealing nominations for individual categories would be part of the fun and a guessing game.
I think the biggest problem with this approach would be to get an active jury. But I think that few people talking about released games all year long would help them to focus on it and each nomination would count.
author=QZProductions
I wouldn't mind the honor for Turovero either, since the soundtrack is probably what I'm the most proud of for the game.

As I read that, I had a certain guitar-sounding rendition of the main theme playing in my head and smiled. XD
...I just saw the nominations for 2019 this year.
As someone who worked really hard to create buzz
and spread the word about the misao's this year,
I think we should scale back the required nominations
from 2 down to 1 going forward, for as long as possible - I think this just sort of the reality of rpgmaker.net. :(
There's just not enough traffic to warrant these sort of requirements.

I echo Darken's feelings here.
It's just so disappointing...cause there were so many great games this year. :(
Um, no. Absolutely not.

On top of that, I think a lot of them were well-deserved. I actually did a break down and vote on stream last night and frankly, all the things (bar two) that Theia was nominated for made complete sense and it was well worth winning a lot of them, if it does.

BTW, anyone voting for some like the owl games, vote for the actual owl games because the others cannot win. They're denied entry into that one. Same with some that don't fit with other categories. I'll write up an approved list shortly.
Best Game Title Nominations
The most clever, original, witty, or cool game title of the year.
Theia - The Crimson Eclipse
I Vanquished the Empire as a Kid and Now the Economy is Crap
Where The Moon Goes At Night
Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening
Grimm's Hollow
Soulflowers

Best Game Profile Nominations
The raddest presentation and marketing of the game.
Grimm's Hollow
Unfinished Stories
Venaitura

"Eye Candy" Award Nominations
Raddest Graphics & Artwork. An excellent example of art direction and cohesive vision.
Grimm's Hollow
Rosary Of The Reaper
Crescent Prism: Chapter 1
Jello and the Valley of Duh
Dead Again
Phantasy Star... Twenty years past
Turovero: The Celestial Tower
Steamed Hams, but it's RPGMAKER2003!

Summoner of Sounds Nominations
The best soundtrack and creative use of sound.
Villnoire
Unfinished Stories
Shooty and the Catfish: Episode 1 - Mushroom Madness
Soulflowers

Excellence in Narrative Nominations
The project you think is most effective at telling its story. Think in terms of its presentation, writing, clarity, cutscene direction, or Shyamalan twists.
Villnoire
Slimes
SIAM
Soulflowers

The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award Nominations
The game that displays the most technical prowess and feats of ingenuity in gameplay.
Pilgrim's Road
Recall

"Lawsuit Waiting To Happen" Award Nominations
Best Fan Game/Use of rips
Final Fantasy: Sky Warriors
Final Fantasy VII Regenesis

The Dark Souls of RMN Nominations
The game that delivers the best challenges or coolest puzzles.
Villnoire
Grimm's Hollow

Punniest Game Alive Nominations
Comedic game of the year. Pick the funniest game you played this year, with the best humour and/or the best/worst puns.
Abyssal of the Opera
Dead Again

Trippiest Game Nominations
The game that was most strange, bizarre, psychedelic, offbeat, and quirky released this year.
Two Strangers Sat in a Garden
No Delivery
El Arte
Grimm's Hollow

The kentona Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence Nominations
A game you think needs more recognition for whatever spurious reason
Dead Again

Year of the Owl Nominations
Best use of animals/doggos/pets/owls in a game this year.
An Owl in the Night
Hu'mon

Best First Game Nominations
For a developer's first game ever.
Grimm's Hollow
SIAM
Villnoire

Best Event Game Nominations
For the best of the event games that came from this year.
Pilgrim's Road
El Arte
Grimm's Hollow

Not Dead Yet Award Nominations
Given to the best old game that was finally finished this year.
Villnoire

Star Stealing Prince Award Nominations
The game that used the best original assets this year.
Grimm's Hollow

"Everlasting Journey" Award Nominations
The game that has the most content to offer.
Villnoire

Best Non-English Game Nominations
Given to the best translated or non-English game released this year.

Most Promising Demo Nominations
The demo released this year you think has the most potential to be amazing.
Venaitura
Slimes
Country of Snow
Black Crystals

Game of the Year Nominations
The absolute best game you played from RMN for the current year.
Grimm's Hollow
Villnoire
I was gonna say

Where the heck did I put an owl in Crescent Prism lol
author=Liberty
On top of that, I think a lot of them were well-deserved. I actually did a break down and vote on stream last night and frankly, all the things (bar two) that Theia was nominated for made complete sense and it was well worth winning a lot of them, if it does.

I agree, absolutely. I just thought there'd be more games this year. :(
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I wasn't expecting WaUTaH to be in this year's voting list at all. I was fully aware the 60% demo was released in 2019, and such being a "new" download made it eligible. Still, wasn't expecting nominations there. Then again, it's one of the few games I can vote for that I've actually played, and I'm looking forward to it's finished state. Zero qualms voting for it in every category I can!

Kinda bummed that Baclyae Revolution didn't make it. Though, maybe talking about it only on RMN, and having zero social media presence, does that.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Martens,I think you need some artwork and tastier screenshots to sell Baclyae better. You're rock solid designer, but you need to work on this. Social media presence would help, but having a nice cover art could make others promote it for you. Because internet's very much a visual medium these days.

I'm surprised that Abyssal of the Opera didn't make it the best event game category.

And I consider it a success that we have at least two games to choose from in every category.
OMG 14 nominations!? O.O"
That's a good way to start this year! Thanks :D
author=LolloRocketDiver
OMG 14 nominations!? O.O"
That's a good way to start this year! Thanks :D

That's what happens when you make a rockstar gam. Everyone just fills every possible nomination slot with that gam. :p

Also,

OMG I GOT A NOMINATION /dance
Pages: first prev 123 next last