VIDEO GAME CRITIC WAGER 2022

I'm gonna turn off everyone's autodraft just to be safe, since it's a counterpick round and isn't something to be chosen lightly.

Also I forgot to link a video of a youtuber crew that decided to stream their fantasy critic picks, might give more insight:
https://youtu.be/xD9kx0C_y9I?t=2592
Drafting is complete! If you want more games you can bid for stuff with your fake dollars, but other people can also outbid you. Not sure how the public bidding aspect works but we'll play it by ear.

Also Dying Light 2 early review scores

Eurogamer 'Recommended'
CGMagazine 9
MP1st 8.5
IGN 7
Push Square 7
Shacknews 7
GameSpot 6 (in progress)
The Gamer 3.5/5
VGC 3/5
Guardian 2/5

OC 78 (32 critics)
https://opencritic.com/game/12340/dying-light-2-stay-human
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I know how to make the bids, but how do you do the second counterpick?
You have to bid for counter picks too, >Make a bid > click on CP > pick which counter-pick game to bid for among the list.

I think bids are private til thursday but are public until saturday (when bids are finalized). So people will know what your bidding on and the amount when the timer is up.
SunflowerGames

Okay, I figured it out.
Aight so right now the first bidding process is happening, during this period you can't bid on anything new, only on what other people have put up for bid. You won't know who's doing or or how much (I was wrong on the details before) so you gotta make a guess when bidding. Then we revert back to bidding on whatever we want in secret until we loop back to this again. This is essentially so some not as active players can keep tabs on what games are being considered. Keep in mind you will lose your monopoly money even if no one else bids money.

I'm surprised Sonic Frontiers hasn't been put up for bid because while Sonic Team doesn't have a great track record reviewers do love open world games no matter what (almost).

Pretty stacked month though, Dying Light 2 came out to mixed reviews and we got these coming up:

Sifu
2022-02-08 JK Entertainment
Total War: Warhammer 3
2022-02-17 JK Entertainment
Horizon Forbidden West
2022-02-18 Catbear Inc
Elden Ring
2022-02-25 Comcap
author=Darken
I'm surprised Sonic Frontiers hasn't been put up for bid because while Sonic Team doesn't have a great track record reviewers do love open world games no matter what (almost).

...All I could think of was Sonic 2006. I mean it's not 2006 anymore, but like, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog... Sonic Secret Rings, Sonic Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Boom ... Sonic Forces. It's been a very middling affair - in fact I remember on PS2/PSP Genesis Collection, (2000-ish) there's this interview with one of the developers where he talks about modern Sonic; the impression I got was that, they didn't want to make "good" sonic games, they're more concerned with continuing to make Sonic, a marketable character, something that kids could enjoy and can be seen in TV shows, films and toys, alongside the games. And I feel like this distinct change in focus, might be the reason why we don't get games like Sonic Mania anymore? Either way, Sonic Frontiers is a risk. not a huge risk XD. but like, if Sonic Forces is anything to go by - open world, but a very middling open world Sonic game. We'll have to see how this plays out.

EDIT:I'm kicking myself for not adding Ollie Ollie World, I should've grabbed that instead of Ever Crisis.
Yeah Sonic Frontiers is probably an instant counter pick lol.

SIFU early review scores

IGN 9
GameSpot 9
Press Start 9
GameMag 8
COGconnected 88
PlayStation Universe 7.5
Game Informer 7.3
GameByte 7
Screenrant 3.5/5
Inverse 6

OC 82 (32 critics)
https://opencritic.com/game/12705/sifu

Another mixed one but nailing some solid 9s.

So first round of bidding is over, I managed to bid for Ghostwire Tokyo but I really wanted Shovel Knight Dig. Ghostwire is kind of a risk since Evil Within 1 and 2 are both in the 70s and I have no idea what the hell the game is since its marketing is really weird. It looks like an on rails VR shooter without the rails? But not VR obviously. But sometimes you gotta take the risk to make the plays.
SunflowerGames

Oh, wow, Liberty really outbid me for Salt and Sacrifice / TandT counterpick.
Nintendo Direct just came out and threw all of my plans out of whack, made Xenoblade 3 rumors a reality and yet also put BOTW2 and Metroid Prime 4 hope/doubts into more limbo. It's also one of the biggest splashes for oldschool JRPGs in awhile I did not expect Live A Live HD of all things. Fucking wild.
I honestly don't know what I'm doing, I'm just playing it by ear, so... I have no idea what counterpicks even ARE or DO. XDDD
I'm honestly just picking games I like the sound of/want to play/think look cool.

XDDD
Counter Pick is just a game that someone else picked (within our group) that you think will do poorly or won't come out / delayed into 2023. They lose points and you gain points if your hunch is correct but vice versa happens if you guessed wrong. I was going to make Xenoblade 3 my counterpick since someone chose it and there was just rumors floating around but now I'm reconsidering (Maybe BOTW2... since there's no recent word on that either). Counter Picks are interesting since a game can still be well received yet be a liability if developers want to make it better by delaying.
SunflowerGames

Picking a game that will be delayed until next year means you get -0 points. It's a good strategy. It's harder to tell if a game will get 70 or less metascore.
Dammit didn't realize bidding on an already picked game would register as a counter pick. undo undo.

Oh well, time to head to Monolith Soft.

EDIT: lol, thanks darken ♥
XD
Horizon Forbidden West early review scores

Press Start 10
Kinda Funny 5/5
Game Informer 9.3
IGN 9
Inverse 9
The Sixth Axis 9
Wccftech 9
CGMagazine 9
Fextralife 8
GameSpot 8

OC 91 (40 critics)
https://opencritic.com/game/12361/horizon-forbidden-west

Dammit didn't realize bidding on an already picked game would register as a counter pick. undo undo.

Just removed it, as a side note I can undo any honest circumstantial mistakes.
help
somehow I got removed from the league!?
Did you? You're showing up on there on my end.
ELDEN RING early review scores

Eurogamer 'Essential'
Game Informer 10
PCGamesN 10
Fextralife 10
The Guardian 5/5
Kinda Funny 5/5
VG247 5/5
Easy Allies 9.5
Press Start 9.5
RPG Site 9

OC 96 (38 critics)
https://opencritic.com/game/12090/elden-ring

money in the BANK :sunglasses emoji:
Gran Turismo 7 started with a 88, before lowering to a 87.
Chocobo Racing GP started taking a beating at 66, rose to a 70, before landing on a 68.

...You knew what you signed up for Steveee! lol, I guess I should've expected this. I haven't seen the full game in action yet, but there's a really cool 64 player elimination mode that'd I'd like to try out at some point. Dudesoft and I have talked alot about the original alot and thought of maybe turning sonic kart robo blast 2 it into an RMN kart racer at some point, if it has a decent enough track editor.

The original Chocobo Racing was kind of an interesting/middling 3rd party kart racer. Tracks were somewhat uninspired, and most of the abilities in storymode were kind of useless, but the tighter focus on cornering, stealing, upgrading and deflecting magical attacks during races, made this a really interesting rental back in the day. It was kind of like Mario Kart, but you had to decide when and where you used powerups to propel yourself into and retain first place - (I think more recent Mario Kart inerations have fine tuned this aspect,) but back in the day, Chocobo Racing really did feel like a Battling Kart RPG (I was hoping this sequel was going to focus more on and expand upon this aspect, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like)

Years later, I went back and bought the original once a friend told me that if you beat the storymode 11 times you'd eventually unlock the dude from the NES game 3D-World Runner as a playable character.

But yeah, I was hoping for a different turn out; not every game has to be as good as Mario Kart 8.
But I thought this one would at least provide a unique take on the formula.
kind of like JustaShyDogs/Pudding's secretly but frequently played All-Stars Racing Transformed.