TOP TEN TOPICS: TV SHOWS!

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I've decided to limit this to shows that were originally in English, so that my list isn't largely the same as my list of top ten anime.

In no particular order:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I held out against Buffy at first, because I was judging it by the movie, and because I assumed it was going to be the standard teen drama crap, but once I started watching I was hooked. Urban fantasy with snappy, quirky dialogue. Also, Alyson Hannigan. You had me at Alyson Hannigan.

Invader Zim - Here, I like it for the same reasons everyone else who likes Invader Zim site. Over the top dark comedy (for kids!) and beautiful artwork.

Avatar: the Last Airbender - I love Avatar. I recognize that it has a lot of failings, but the ways it succeeds more than makes up for all of that. It is doing everything that American animation should be doing, and it doesn't talk down to its intended audience....making it very likeable even for people far outside of that audience, like me. Plus, gorgeous. Might be the best looking thing ever intended for television, short of Haibane Renmei.

Scrubs - What is there to be said? Scrubs is so good that I can't believe it lasted seven seasons.

Clerks: The Animated Series - Clerks: TAS, on the other hand, was so good that I'm totally unsurprised it lasted only six episodes. The clip show in the second episode was pure brilliance. Not to mention the trial episode where the Korean Animators had to make up an ending. Everyone rememebers "Bear is driving! How can that be?!" fondly. If you don't, YouTube it. I'm sure that scene's up there.

The State - Weird and silly humor. Most of you probably haven't seen the State, but you'll recognize its alumni from Reno 911 and you might know Michael Ian Black from VH1's "I Love the *" series. Probably the best thing MTV ever did.

Stella - Man. Stella, man. This show was at least ten years ahead of its time. Take everything that was good about the State and double it. And it stars three of the former State members. No surprise there.

Stargate SG-1 - Another one that I didn't get into as soon as I should have. I didn't start watching until the final season, but Stargate SG-1 swept me off my feet. Thank goodness for Sci Fi channel showing it all the damn time. The mythology of the show is great, but Richard Dean "MacGuyver" Anderson really makes the show.

The Daily Show - Political comedy from great writers performed by competent performers, and skewering some of the most revolting aspects of the mass media today. Maybe the only show on the list that actually provides society with something we need, rather than just something that we love. Although I do that too.

Firefly - Like Buffy in Space. Strike that. Like Buffy meets Cowboy Bebop and with even cooler dialogue if that's possible. One of the greatest reasons to hate the Fox network.

Honorable Mentions, also in no particular order:
Sports Night
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
What can I say? Much love for Aaron Sorkin.

Arrested Development
House
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Riches
The first one is another reason to hate Fox. (Three seasons?! What?! Arrested should've had at least five) The last three are reasons to forgive them....a little. The Riches would be a bit more forgettable if it didn't give me a weekly dose of Eddie Izzard, though.

Home Movies
Futurama
The Boondocks
The Venture Brothers
Adult Animation done right. Adult Swim gets a lot wrong, but these are not those things. Admittedly, they've lost Futurama, and Home Movies was originally optioned by another network, but the Boondocks and the Venture Brothers prove that they can find good original content too....even if their homemade stuff leaves a lot to be desired. The Venture Brothers very nearly made that top ten, by the bye. If next season is as much an improvement as last season was, it probably will. And it wasn't even remotely bad even in the first season. The last two prove that American adult animation can actually be pretty, and the Ventures proves that it can do it without aping Anime, so extra points there, too.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
Jesus christ you guys.

Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined) Wiki Article
Time magazinedeclared in the spring of 2005 that the new show was one of the six best drama programs on television. It would proclaim the program the best show on television in December of the same year. The American Film Institute named the show to its list of the ten best shows on television. Other mainstream publications such as the Chicago Tribune, Rolling Stone magazine, and Newsday also named the series one of the best on television for 2005. In 2006, the series won a prestigious Peabody Award in recognition of its creative excellence.

In 2007, Battlestar Galactica was nominated for four Primetime Emmy Awards: Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series, Outstanding Sound Editing and Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series for the third season episode titled "Exodus, part 2" and a single nomination for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series for the back to back episodes "Occupation" and "Precipice".

Go watch this. I work for NBC.
Don't worry. I like the show but i wouldn't say it is the best show i have seen. The awards it has won though is quite amazing.
I saw it. It didn't take. Usually I like that kind of thing... but it didn't take. Maybe I'm weird like that.
Nah, it's actually quite natural. I had a bunch of friends that came over to watch the show and they didn't understand a thing about it. I pretty much had to guide them through the episode.
Ciel
It's not episodic, it's serialized. Watching any old episode first would be like flipping to the middle of a book and starting wherever you land. That is to say, people actually have to invest a meager amount of brainpower into remembering what happened last week. :( And that's probably why it is massively critically acclaimed but ultimately ignored in favor or QUALITY WRITING like Heroes and ~LOST~.
Yeah, but the thing is I saw the first few episodes and just... didn't like it? As I said, it's probably just me.

<And I agree with you about Lost, Ciel. It's like survivor with a plot. A meagre plot at that. I like Heroes, though.>
Yep. Lost and Heroes rule the top shows on tv. Prison break is another favourite of mine.

The strike they had was quite annoying.
pshaw! House is clearly superior to both shows.

Every time I see an ad for Lost I want to watch it even less.

Heroes is pretty good.
5. Heroes
4. The 4400
3. Entourage
2. Weeds
1. The L Word

Fucking surprised I haven't seen some of these great HBO and Showtime shows yet in this thread- especially Entourage.
Ciel

House is good until you realize every episode is the same thing and the only reason you are watching is because House says something funny every so often.
author=Despain link=topic=345.msg8165#msg8165 date=1201541130
5. Heroes
4. The 4400
3. Entourage
2. Weeds
1. The L Word

Fucking surprised I haven't seen some of these great HBO and Showtime shows yet in this thread- especially Entourage.

What is "The L Word"?
hahaha

I'll tell you when you're older.
It's the most amazing show on television. I can't describe how incredible it is I am totally obsessed and addicted.

It's also on Wikipedia (on the internet you should know better than to ever ask what something is).
author=demondestiny link=topic=345.msg8213#msg8213 date=1201671475
lol. I'm 26 mate.

Is that old enough?
So young... :-\

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
1: SUPERNATURAL.

It's the best show no one's ever seen. In its third season now, it's 2 brothers who go around hunting the things that go 'bump' in the night. It's totally addictive. Actually facilitates the idea of the existence of hell, demons, and the devil, but is highly ambiguous on the existence of heaven, angels, and God. And it works pretty well. It's a damn shame it's exclusively on the CW and not a real network, because this show deserves way more exposure than most of the crap on core networks.

Runners up:

Conan O'brien, Family Guy, Simpsons, Futurama, Colbert Report / Daily Show, Prison Break
Freakin sweet show.

I've got the first season but need to buy the second one.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=demondestiny link=topic=345.msg8494#msg8494 date=1202023354
Freakin sweet show.

I've got the first season but need to buy the second one.

2nd season is even better than the first! The last episode of season two is like the ultimate climax of the storyline, tying up many, many loose ends.
Sounds good and a must watch.

Has season three started yet. I'm just too lazy to look up in the guide. :)
Pages: first prev 123 next last