IDEA FOR A NEW COMMUNITY PROJECT

Pages: first prev 123 next last
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
That's applicable to ANY card game.

Tell me, where will the strategy lie in this particular set up? In the supporting cards? In hand size? Beatdown? How well will it handle nonstandard decks, like discard decks/etc.?
If you're doing it in 2k/3, I'd submit something, but otherwise no.
post=96780
A card of themselves (attributes based on the way that person acts on the forums)
A card of a hero from their game.
A card of the villain.
A land card (If we end up implementing this)
And an effect card based on an event in the game.

Sounds a little like Magic. Not necessarily a bad thing, just sayin'.

I would go acquisition of credits by turns rather than using "land cards." I like the effect cards based on events, that could be interesting.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=96797

Pretty much same boat for me- I'm a strictly 2k/3 kind of guy. I could conceivably contribute a character or two if this gets underway, but not much else.

That said, I would toss into the ring that it might be cool to do a card game based around status effects that seem worthless at first, but an experienced player would stack these status effects for CRUSHING C-C-C-COMBOS. Just likekind of like pokemon.
Gibmaker
I hate RPG Maker because of what it has done to me
Sounds like a fun thing! It would be most successful I think if you just took an existing game system like Pokemon Trainers or Magic or something and just customized it. I wouldn't mind doing some art for it.
post=96797
The only problem about RPGMaker2k is the battle system. While yes you can make the game out of strickly events and variables, if you were to implement it into the battle system, 2k3 wouldn't work.

Besides, you just can't get the same graphic quality out of 2k3 that you can get out of XP.
I don't think it really makes much sense to refuse to submit somthing to an XP game purely because it isn't your chosen engine

to me, rpgmaker version preferences should really only apply to a game that you are actually going to do some mapping/scripting/eventing in, since people naturally prefer to use the version that they are used to

seems silly to refuse the newer versions just for the sake of it (do you only play games made in 2k3 as well?)

but what would I know? I'm even worse than an XP user, I'm a VX user!
post=96934
I don't think it really makes much sense to refuse to submit somthing to an XP game purely because it isn't your chosen engine

to me, rpgmaker version preferences should really only apply to a game that you are actually going to do some mapping/scripting/eventing in, since people naturally prefer to use the version that they are used to

seems silly to refuse the newer versions just for the sake of it (do you only play games made in 2k3 as well?)

but what would I know? I'm even worse than an XP user, I'm a VX user!

I've only just started using XP, so I'm getting a little higher up in RPG Maker. VX is fine I guess (I only used it once,) but I just can't stand the chibi graphics on it (I know they can be changed, but still, I thought that in terms of RTP, XP got it right, but VX failed )
guess we have conflicting styles

the chibi graphics and bright colors are perfect for the type of games I like to make
<<< getting tired of community projects that get people talking, but never get made.
hey i've got an idea for a community project: i'll make a game and you guys can take the credit for it
post=97000
<<< getting tired of community projects that get people talking, but never get made.
I'm responsible for this.

...though I did release BQ 1, 2 & 3
for a game like this, i'd be much more interested in seeing how the mechanics and rules for the card game lay out. Having a bunch of people contribute cards and whatever is cool, but how will the game work?

Is it going to be a game of pseudo-'War'? Is it going to be more like a final fantasy-esque card game? Is it going to be something like those yugi-oh games? Is it going to have a rulebook thicker than some dictionaries (ie Magic the Gathering)?

This needs to be settled before cards can be made.
I did World Crafters 18 months ago as a community project. It still gets submissions to this day from people reading about it for the first time.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
post=97027
for a game like this, i'd be much more interested in seeing how the mechanics and rules for the card game lay out. Having a bunch of people contribute cards and whatever is cool, but how will the game work?

Is it going to be a game of pseudo-'War'? Is it going to be more like a final fantasy-esque card game? Is it going to be something like those yugi-oh games? Is it going to have a rulebook thicker than some dictionaries (ie Magic the Gathering)?

This needs to be settled before cards can be made.

This, big time. I like the idea, but it needs to be fleshed out a lot more before we could start making anything for it. I'd pick a set of rules and mechanics that you think work well, and post them here for discussion. It would be very difficult to come up with a set that pleases everyone, but take feedback into consideration with a grain of salt. Once we've got our rules, we can move on from there.

Also, I wouldn't sit back and wait for someone else to do it. If you don't have the time or will to lead this project to completion, you may want to reconsider the whole thing (or pass the torch, if someone wants it).
post=97043
Also, I wouldn't sit back and wait for someone else to do it. If you don't have the time or will to lead this project to completion, you may want to reconsider the whole thing (or pass the torch, if someone wants it).

Most likely I would pass the torch, being that I am hardly an expert on games like these and know next to nothing about scripts, however, after having my world map for my RPG erased for the second time in a row, I've just about had it with RPGMaker 2k3. I'd like to learn the mechanics of XP and making a game like this may be the best way how. Most likely though, I will either pass the torch or at least split it among others who are willing to help and have the experience and knowledge to do so (however, I'm not going to simply split it and have the others do everything. If I'm going to be a part of this, I need to contribute as well.)

As for rules, I'm still thinking of them, but I doubt that they will be nearly as complex as MtG.
post=97033
I did World Crafters 18 months ago as a community project. It still gets submissions to this day from people reading about it for the first time.

IT'S TOO BAD THE FRIGGIN DOWNLOAD STILL DOESN'T WORK!!
Once y'all finally manage to come up with the structure of the cards when I find the time I'll make a php form for entering the card stats into a flat database. Help with idea organization and all that you know.*

*statement is no longer binding if rules are not created one day after this post
I really like this idea of a card game that uses characters from our own games. However a project like this needs a strong leader. Like Maia or Kentona who has experience running community games. I would gladly participate in this games development.
I really like this idea of a card game that uses characters from our own games. However a project like this needs a strong leader. Like Maia or Kentona who has experience running community games. I would gladly participate in this games development.
Pages: first prev 123 next last