WELL-DEFINED DBS OR PRIMITIVE CBS?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
rpgmaker battles are filler. it doesn't even matter.

That applies to nearly every RPG, though. Not just RPGM games.

But to stay on topic, I never had a problem with the default, to be honest.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
With all the hacks available for rm2k3 today, the only reason you shouldn't use the DBS is due to the god-awful ATB.
post=151911
rpgmaker battles are filler. it doesn't even matter.
That applies to nearly every RPG, though. Not just RPGM games.

A counter-example for me would be Final Fantasy XIII. Most battles in that game were an absolute blast and really opened my eyes to RPG battling in general. They don't HAVE to be junky filler content. Why not take the core thing that a player does in many RPGs (battle) and make it a ton of fun?
RM2k3 DBS with double battle speed hack

I would prefer people making their games in VX or XP and coding their own battle systems though.
I haven't played FF13.

But my point -- as badly presented as it was -- was that most regular encounters in RPGs are essentially filler, in that they don't have any real impact on the game/they're rarely mentioned or talked about, if ever by the characters. But just because it's filler doesn't mean it's necessarily 'bad'. An RPG without battles would be boring, imo.
About the whole "battles are filler," I'd largely agree in regards to the general JRPG. But with something like Fire Emblem, that's all their is. I don't think anything made with any DBS would be anything but filler.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Then maybe you should take ashriot's advice and work on making battles interesting in their own right? I've seen people make Default battle systems fun.
post=151923
Then maybe you should take ashriot's advice and work on making battles interesting in their own right? I've seen people make Default battle systems fun.

Care to mention examples?

Not doubting, just curious.
Solitayre
Sure.

One of my favorite examples is The Tiamat Sacrament. In that one you kept track of a certain number of items in your inventory called "runes." These runes gave your main character the ability to unleash charged attacks, or could even let your party unleash combo attacks. This added a lot of flair and style to the combat for a fairly simple system. Each character in that game had a different way of learning and using skills as well.

Not everyone likes A Blurred Line's battle mechanics but I enjoyed them a lot. You drew skills from enemies, and generally each enemy would give you an ability ideal for defeating that particular enemy group. Drawing the skill enough times allowed your character to learn it permanently. Hunting down enemy groups to expand your ever growing collection of abilities became fun in its own right. This game also had every character have a different way of learning abilities.

Many games, such as Hellion or Rise of the Third Power allowed the player to learn a character's skills in any order they liked as they leveled up. Even giving the player a basic level of control of their characters' skills and abilities can make combat more fun, since you're playing your character, your way. However, be careful when balancing a system like this. Legacies of Dondaron had a similar system but it lead to severe balance problems later in the game.

Balmung Cycle had pretty long, drawn out battles but it made up for this somewhat by having "limit break"-style super attacks for each character that annihilated foes and were a lot of fun to use, and made the game less tedious.

Demon Tower let you switch out party members for reserve members at any time, and had characters learn skills in battle the more you used them. This would be trickier to pull off than most of the things I've mentioned here since they'd rely on scripting but with the newer makers it's far from impossible.

You'd be surprised what just a few simple tweaks can do for the DBS. It makes me sad how many people are willing to accept having boring battles in their game because they think there's no alternative or that battles don't matter.

The DBS for me. I find that most CBS' fall short of the DBS when it comes to basic battle functions and that annoys me. I've been working hard to make the DBS fun as well so I hope it goes well.

However, there's no excuse when it comes to VX/XP. There are a million different scripts to customize battle and make something interesting.
Ok Soli, I'm convinced.

DBS is not bad, and it's hard to be topped in terms of complexity and variety. But it's just too overused. Come on, it's the BS from Final Fantasy, I've been playing it for over 15 years. Forgive me if I like some novelty. Of course I don't like the attitude of "should I make a shitty CBS instead of using the DBS?" If someone can think of a decent CBS, he can't make the DBS work decently as well. But if you're intelligent enough to make an interesting DBS, and you're flirting with the idea of making a CBS, why not? Even if it's not technically as good as the DBS, the novelyy aspect will generate interest.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
A well-defined (or "properly utilized" as I prefer to call it) DBS has a much better potential to be fun than a primitive (badly designed?) CBS, both in theory and from experience playing RM2K(3) games.

My vote clearly goes to the DBS.
post=151939
Ok Soli, I'm convinced.

DBS is not bad, and it's hard to be topped in terms of complexity and variety. But it's just too overused. Come on, it's the BS from Final Fantasy, I've been playing it for over 15 years. Forgive me if I like some novelty. Of course I don't like the attitude of "should I make a shitty CBS instead of using the DBS?" If someone can think of a decent CBS, he can't make the DBS work decently as well. But if you're intelligent enough to make an interesting DBS, and you're flirting with the idea of making a CBS, why not? Even if it's not technically as good as the DBS, the novelyy aspect will generate interest.

I pretty much agree with this.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if the actual question is a little lopsided. It's specifically stating that the DBS is very well made and that the CBS isn't particularly well made. Given those two exact choices, I'd probably rather play neither unless the storyline was interesting enough to warrant suffering through the bad gameplay.
I have to agree with Soli. There are quite a few RM games with DBS that I absolutely enjoyed.
Solitayre
I think the main problem is not enough people are playing other RM games so they don't know what its really capable of.
DBS. Just make it well rounded and engaging and connect it to the 'outside world', IE the rest of the game. Maybe have characters learn skills by things they find in-game, use a decent amount of treasure chests, and try to let the characters' personalities com across in the battles.

CBS should only be made if the creator has a specific idea in mind that can't be achieved with the DBS. DBS is not bad, it just needs some love to make it feel unique.

If you're telling yourself "I'm gonna do a CBS! Mmk, now what should I do..." you're probably doing it backwards :P
Since we are on the topic here, can anyone post a link on tips of how to modify one's DBS?
I don't think it matters what battle system is implemented. Unbalanced battles, bugs, lag, they all don't care what battle system you put in. They'll bog the game down as long as you leave them in there.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Basically, I would pick whichever one lets you make more balanced, challenging, enjoyable battles. The problem with the DBS is not that it's overused - it's that it has severe limitations that you could potentially overcome by creating your own system. But if you don't really have the programming knowledge, or the need, or the time to create a battle system that overcomes these limitations in a way that improves the game, then there's no point.

And you also have to balance the amount of time and energy you're willing to expend on system development versus content development. If making a good, balanced battle system would use up all your time or energy, and force you to put less effort into creating good, balanced battles, then the benefit is lost.
post=151988
Since we are on the topic here, can anyone post a link on tips of how to modify one's DBS?
I don't think anyone has ever written on that subject.

I suppose I could give it a shot though - I'll put it on my todo list.
Pages: first prev 123 next last