SINGLE CHARACTER RPGS: HOW CAN THEY WORK?

post=212310
The very first Dragon Quest game had the hero as the sole playable character.
And it worked incredibly well.

No it didn't.

post=212464
post=212102
post=212070
I liked Elder Scrolls a lot.

The only thing that pissed me off was that Oblivion wasn't as "free" as Morrowind... since there were unkillable NPCs.
I love the unkillable NPCs since you didn't have to babysit them as they played lemmings off of castle walls chasing after enemies
Yeah, but where's the fun if your dumb buddies can't die from a fall?

I thought it was awesome that the player could choose to ruin his game by exterminating the entire province of morrowind if he/she chose to.

There's nothing fun about having to babysit too-stupid-to-live NPCs so you can complete quests. Despite having important NPCs, stupid Martin Septim at the very end charges into like 8 daedroths and elementals only to become a ragdoll and ALL HOPE IS LOST appear on the screen making you reload so much.
Summon Night: swordcraft story 2?
I remember it's pretty much single player and that the guardian acts like magic/item bag really...Unless that is counted as action rpg then fffff

(well there's 3 but yeah)
post=212465
There's nothing fun about having to babysit too-stupid-to-live NPCs so you can complete quests. Despite having important NPCs, stupid Martin Septim at the very end charges into like 8 daedroths and elementals only to become a ragdoll and ALL HOPE IS LOST appear on the screen making you reload so much.

I hated this part of the game so damn much.
It makes up for it by having the Incredible Indestructible Maglir (and others) on your side. Watch as their body flies across the screen after being exploded on some traps, see as they take the fall for you in Aleyid traps, and they make great meat shields.

Fighting off 100 deadra and are on your last potion? Just have Super Savian Mantius charge right in and soak up all the fury!
The character must be an exegesis of yourself. This is obtained through choices and immersive gameplay. Otherwise you create this kind of empty shell you play around with.
I'm currently making a single character game for the game drive. But mine is unique in the fact that there is only one character. No not just one playable character but just one guy in the entire game. The premise of the game is that the main character wakes up one day to find that the world's people are gone and now monsters roam the streets at night.

My question is do you think this type of game can work?
Maybe someone's said this already, but anyway, here's my anwser to this question: Take your regular RPG, and only make one party member.

...That's it. That's seriously it. That's exactly what a single character RPG is. Now, whether it's actually GOOD depends on every other factor there is, but...there ya go. Problem solved forever.

-Tabris
This type of game can work if you put in enough effort in designing and planning it out. And finish it, of course.
post=Tabris_Macbeth
Maybe someone's said this already, but anyway, here's my anwser to this question: Take your regular RPG, and only make one party member.

...That's it. That's seriously it. That's exactly what a single character RPG is. Now, whether it's actually GOOD depends on every other factor there is, but...there ya go. Problem solved forever.

-Tabris

Well duh. The question isn't how to make one, it's how to make it work well.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Battles
If we're talking your standard turn-based combat, the main character should either have multiple turns or the enemies should be few in number most of the time - 1 or 2 max (aside from special fights). Nothing sucks more than sitting around eating 4 monster attacks for every one turn you get. For the same reasons, an ATB system would suck for this sort of game too.
I imagine for one-on-one battles it would come down to the AI's combos vs. your own. You'd have to find ways to shut down the opponent while keeping yourself alive and hitting him hard. A cool way to do this might be a stance-shifting character, where you would shuffle between stances to heal yourself, buff yourself/debuff enemy, and deal damage. You would have to figure out a flow of spells to cast for normal combat, and then adjust for tough enemies and bosses. You should have a large arsenal of moves - just like you would if you had a four-person party.
Finally, I'd say two types of spell resources - one that recovers a little every turn (so you can cast healing and strong moves once every couple of turns) and then one that needs items to recover (for those last-ditch spells). Or maybe some kind of limit break thing - anything to create an interesting battle flow while you have less players to manage.

I imagine writing a story like this couldn't be too difficult. You'd just have to make sure you found good ways to express your character's personality, be it NPCs, events, inner monologue, etc. Like, he's a monk on a quest to find ultimate power who fights off other questers, or the first explorer on a new planet who only talks to the mothership for assistance.

It could be a fun idea for sure though.
Well I am someone who srted on rpgs mostly for being lonely as a teen and the games caught my attention exactly for having other "people" to interact in the game so for years I took a hatred towards one character games aside from megaman and a few platforms (being exceptions only for having cool robots and techy stuff).

The first lone hero game to make me feel diferent was Alundra for PS1, took me a while to understand how I got so in to it but the answer is simple: NPCs, interesting, active and charismatic, more than some party members in party rpgs.

So that beats the issue for players who like to have "buddies" with them, you could like give your character constant but no fighting companions, or have then contact others remotely like Metal Gear does, or just have the player meet lots of diferent folks all the time.

Now the issue at hand seems battle, Turn based at that.

I think it is perfectly doable even without complex systems, only thing to note as others have said is not make many enemies cause it is damn boring to play once and then have the computer play 4 times til you go again.... :(

Someone suggested duels and I think it is perfect, I was playing Jojo´s bizarre Adventure for ps1 and thought it could be a cool rpg in its story mode with just duels. Even if they are in a party, fights are one on one for sake of honor and al that.

With duels you can do lot and broaden the strategy ideas since you don´t need to think of several party members.
Let's all just remake Harvest Moon.
Are there any Battles in Harvest Moon? Seriously, never played any of them long enough despite loving Snes version art style :(

Though would be funny to have battles in a farm game :P
fighting time to get all your crops to your horse before 5:00 rolls around
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
post=Clest
Are there any Battles in Harvest Moon? Seriously, never played any of them long enough despite loving Snes version art style :(

Though would be funny to have battles in a farm game :P

There is battles. But there not rpg style. (Im talking about the DS version btw)

YOu go underground and there are evil bugs/chickens there. You just hit em with farming tools.
Fallout series except tactics, The elder scrolls series, Gothic series, The witcher...the list could go on and yes they are traditional, if you really look for even more traditional seek Ultima series.

It has been done so many times and I personally like them more then tons of party members RPG. The main idea is journey, ussually when they make single hero RPGs, they make the character fully customizable, with almost no personality, because that character is ussually YOU in that world, they aim for freedom of choice, thats what people like most, to do what they want, to see it in action.

Of course some single hero rpgs, literally role playing games, follow the personal dilema of character set in some events, show us how they react, how they do, while having minimum or total control over it, because people like personal stories, they want to follow that story, they want to be entertained...why do people brag about things? Because when their life is lacking something, they find that thing in other peoples lifes...excitement, romance,emotions...you name it...sometimes there are more heroes, but you dont control them. And I think single hero RPGs are very entertaining.

In mine game Im trying to put a character with personality in a world where YOU control him, you will choose what he does, where he goes, how he deals with stuff, you push him in the direction you want and watch how he reacts, his inner emotional state,how he handles it, like an interactive book.I want to do classical a.k.a. fallout stat system, combat will focus mainly on one on one situations. Trying new stuff while holding to the old recipies, the golden middle way...of course reality is different from theory.

If you want a good revolutional single hero RPG, look at Gothic series.
I was going to use 7th Saga as an example, but now that I look at it, that game was pretty terrible as a whole unless you're really into playing RPGs that like to kick your ass.

I think that a single character RPG would be very easy to make on party. All of your character development can be piled onto that sole character, so you can weave a very interesting tale out of that. The only problem is that having one character could make battles really stale. I'd go with allowing the character to power up or something, or be able to take on different classes or roles or something whenever it would be necessary to do so.
Parasite Eve and DGuy's Chimera Report have a battle system conducive to single-character RPG'ing.
I would most certainly consider it turn-based.
I believe this system is fitting for a single-character game because you can pick and choose your battles and, if you're good enough, make it through battles without getting hit.

My apologies if this was mentioned. I've not yet read the whole topic. It's too big in comparison to my attention span.

EDIT: Read it. I stand by what I said. (I think...)
author=Ginseng_Tea
Parasite Eveand DGuy's Chimera Report have a battle system conducive to single-character RPG'ing.
I would most certainly consider it turn-based.
I believe this system is fitting for a single-character game because you can pick and choose your battles and, if you're good enough, make it through battles without getting hit.

My apologies if this was mentioned. I've not yet read the whole topic. It's too big in comparison to my attention span.

EDIT: Read it. I stand by what I said. (I think...)

I agree, I was gonna post a similar post. Parasite Eve is one of my favorites and I was super frustrated when PEII changed the formula to be more like Resident Evil. Also Chimera Report is one of my favorite RPG maker demos.

I currently have a conceptual idea of a game that runs like PE or CR, but more in the style of Elder Scrolls, very open ended. But not quite as general as those games.
author=UPRC
I was going to use 7th Saga as an example, but now that I look at it, that game was pretty terrible as a whole unless you're really into playing RPGs that like to kick your ass.

The original was not as bad. The stat gains in the USA version were half as large as they were in the Japanese version. However, enemies and the other apprentices remained just as strong.

All of which is moot because you can have an ally in 7th Saga.