OUT OF CONTROL COPS - A SERIOUS PROBLEM IN AMERICA

author=Liberty
Quite frankly, they are out of hand. Completely. There's really no argument against the kind of behaviour they've been exhibiting - I agree with Max that it is sociopathic in nature and needs to be regulated a lot more, with harsher punishments for those who don't abide by the general rules of "Don't do harm to the citizenry you have sworn to protect."

Yes, I agree they're out of hand. But was this thread made to discuss what needs to be done, or would we rather content ourselves with witch hunts and finger pointing?

For every one of your cited cases of gross misconduct, there're probably 100,000 uncelebrated cases of a job well done. Which brings us to a conundrum. What happens when in one single minute of a police officer's 60,000 working hours, he makes a mistake so grave that the newspapers are beside themselves with delight? 99 times out of a 100, the court of public opinion has already sentenced him and anything less than termination of service, denial of pension, and prison sentencing is just fodder for knee jerk mob mentality. Is that the message we want to send to the police? That after 0-30 years of active duty risking your life, one single incident whipped up into a media furor can destroy your career, impoverish your family, and put you behind bars with the very people who would most love to have you there? Is that really the answer?
It should be painfully obvious how far this strategy would backfire.

If you really want cops to stop acting like a bunch of violent goons, you'll want to end this environment of dangerous gang warfare and police underfunding. Straighten society out. Make criminal activity less appealing/necessary. In turn, policing will become a respectable profession again.
And if, after gangs, drugs, prostitution, et al, are no longer rampant but the police still can't help themselves from oppressing and terrorizing every which way, then quintuple the Internal Affairs budget and root the bad fuckers out.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
since i don't think any child watches a movie and says 'yeah...i want to grow up and do crimes!!'

author=Max McGee
man i watched like reservoir dogs and pulp fiction and came away from them like 'yeah...i want to grow up and do crimes!!!'

Are you guys joking? You're relating your own anecdotal point of views as middle class white kids with petty bourgeoisie societal beefs as counterargument? I'm not talking about our kind. I'm talking about black kids growing up in the ghetto, looking up to their older brothers who are constantly in trouble with the law, idolizing the few successful ones, and generally developing an unhealthy "us vs tha popo" attitude.

As glamorization of this culture in media goes, if you watch Chinese* cinema of the last ~10 years, you'll probably notice a common underlying theme : The primacy of the collective over the individual (usually expressed as self-sacrifice for the government). It's a moral that should be immediately noticeable by any of us because it flies in the face of our western individualist values.
The same idea is used in the media. Black gangstas are depicted with style and grace, lots of moolah and bling, and they always got they shit togetha, yo. It's a little more subtle than Triumph of the Wills, but you can't say it's not there.

*Chinese as in mainland Chinese films. Hong Kong still expresses autonomous views when they can.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Dyhalto
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
since i don't think any child watches a movie and says 'yeah...i want to grow up and do crimes!!'
author=Max McGee
man i watched like reservoir dogs and pulp fiction and came away from them like 'yeah...i want to grow up and do crimes!!!'
Are you guys joking? You're relating your own anecdotal point of views as middle class white kids with petty bourgeoisie societal beefs as counterargument?

wait what?

I was relating my anecdotal point of view as a poor white kid with petty societal beefs...as a throw off joke germane to nothing in particular. so I mean my answer to your rhetorical "Are you guys joking?" is a very hearty "YES I LITERALLY WAS JOKING" man.

author=Dyhalto
The same idea is used in the media. Black gangstas are depicted with style and grace, lots of moolah and bling, and they always got they shit togetha, yo. It's a little more subtle than Triumph of the Wills, but you can't say it's not there.

Ok now I guess I will briefly seriously engage with this topic. What are some movies you've seen that you would you say uncritically glamorized the "gangsta" life style? Because far more cinema I've seen that concerned this subject matter has taken the final (and older than dirt) position that "crime doesn't pay"?

author=Dyhalto
For every one of your cited cases of gross misconduct, there're probably 100,000 uncelebrated cases of a job well done. Which brings us to a conundrum. What happens when in one single minute of a police officer's 60,000 working hours, he makes a mistake so grave that the newspapers are beside themselves with delight? 99 times out of a 100, the court of public opinion has already sentenced him and anything less than termination of service, denial of pension, and prison sentencing is just fodder for knee jerk mob mentality. Is that the message we want to send to the police? That after 0-30 years of active duty risking your life, one single incident whipped up into a media furor can destroy your career, impoverish your family, and put you behind bars with the very people who would most love to have you there? Is that really the answer?
It should be painfully obvious how far this strategy would backfire.

Look, like in some cases what you're saying seems kind of relevant like the cases that were tragic and horrible ACCIDENTS. But then you have shit like those cops that kidnapped and beat a twelve year old girl and we're supposed to feel bad that the COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION has sentenced them? Fuck that, they should go to an ACTUAL court, and then to jail.
Max, I don't really know why I was arguing with you in the last thread, as we share somewhat similar opinions - so I apologize for being a pedantic douche.

I've already said I don't think ALL police are corrupt or anything, but obviously many are, just as any person with power chooses to be or not be an abuser of that power.

I don't really have anything useful to add as I agree with a lot that has been said, and besides, I don't know much about this topic so I think I'll just hang back and read about it instead.
author=Liberty
I wonder why they're scrutinised in the public, though. Might be because they've been misusing their authority. Too bad. I've no sympathy for those who hurt others for no other reason than because they can.

I merely repeated Dyhalto's point. Personally, I think the police have earned their scrutiny.

author=Max McGee
I personally think he should have been *charged* with second degree homicide, reckless endangerment, excessive force, involuntary manslaughter, probably a host of other lesser infractions.

All I mean by charge is the infraction the court is claiming the accused committed. I know indicted means an actual sentencing. You charge someone first before an indictment or acquittal is considered. Having clarified my terminology, I will now say that I think he should be convicted, at least, with excessive force.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I think that this link is all the support that the theory of a systemic problem needs.

So just to clarify, if an officer uses violence and escalates an agitated situation, great, but if he chooses a humane approach and talk a situation down, he gets fired.
Max McGee
All I mean by charge is the infraction the court is claiming the accused committed. I know indicted means an actual sentencing. You charge someone first before an indictment or acquittal is considered. Having clarified my terminology, I will now say that I think he should be convicted, at least, with excessive force.

I'll try to not be too pedantic or condescending here but you are flat out wrong here by way of an actual factual error.

You're confusing 'indicted' with 'convicted'.

Being 'indicted' is more or less synonymous with being 'charged'. Being 'convicted' is what happens when a court finds you guilty and they make the charges stick and sentence you.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
author=DarklordKeinor
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
as for police officers feeling stressed, i find that hard to believe, since the amount of crime they've had to deal with has been in a steep decline for the past two decades..
Dyhalto's point did not pertain to crime level. He was discussing the level of public scrutiny police are subject to, and the large degree of financial disparity among the classes. It is through that, he says, that the police are stressed.

author=Liberty
I wonder why they're scrutinised in the public, though. Might be because they've been misusing their authority. Too bad. I've no sympathy for those who hurt others for no other reason than because they can.

basically. but also, it did certainly pertain to crime level.
On one hand, there's this huge and still growing wealth discrepancy between the rich and the poor which creates a pool of people who feel like they have to turn to crime just to make ends meet. Worse yet, criminal culture in the US leans towards a survival-of-the-strongest mentality where aggression is how you prove that you're a better crook than the others.

Are you guys joking? You're relating your own anecdotal point of views as middle class white kids with petty bourgeoisie societal beefs as counterargument? I'

actually it's my objective viewpoint as a guy who waqtches a bunch of movies. and that's what you said, media and movies, not younger siblings looking up to older siblings. i'm not even going to go further into the movie thing because it's patently ridiculous, but youths developing a 'fuck cops' mentality is a direct result of injustices inflicted by law enforcement. the class division is a real issue, but it has zero bearing on things like shooting an unarmed dude from ~150 feet away, claiming self-defense, and not facing any kind of punishment from the judicial system.

also it's nice that you assume i am a middle class white kid (??? lol) and disregard police brutality as 'petty.' is there a reason you keep imitating ebonics in your posts. it's kind of disgusting.
the rest of your post has already been dismissed by all statistics ever. there is no growing crime wave that stresses the police out, the 'environment of gang warfare' is less of an issue than it has been in 20 years and there is zero evidence to support the claim that these transgressions would lessen if you just gave the police...even more money.
George Carlin said it best.

The sad part is that this bit was years ago now. 1990s, I think. This definitely isn't a new problem, and it's ridiculous that it only seems to be getting worse as the years roll by.
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
Eric Garner - 44. Suffocated to death by multiple NYPD officers for the crime of selling loose cigarettes. The pigs responsible were not indicted by a grand jury.

I don't agree with this. he suffocated, but it was caused by a litany of health conditions he had that were triggered by the cop who subdued him. I definitely things escalated to a physical takedown way too fast, but I can't really say the cop was at fault either. If the cop did use a chokehold (constriction of airway,) it was for about 3 seconds. He definitely shouldn't have done this, but I would say it was emphatically not the reason Garner died, either. you could have probably slapped him on the back and his heart would have exploded.

There are laws for this. If, as in your hypothetical, the cop had slapped Garner and that caused the death, he would be in the clear since slapping someone in the back is not wrong (to my knowledge). But randomly strangling someone for 3 seconds is clearly wrong, so the consequences being increased by rare and unknown medical conditions is not a defense. He ought to be held fully responsible for Garners death.
author=Max McGee
What are some movies you've seen that you would you say uncritically glamorized the "gangsta" life style?

pfft. When did I say uncritically? Just because there's come-uppance doesn't mean the life style isn't romanticized. Hong Kong has the guts to write the "bad" guys winning from time to time. Hollywood doesn't, but that didn't stop Scarface from making Tony Montana a hero in the Cuban community.
Anyhow, you wanted citations. Training Day and Menace II Society immediately come to mind. There are oodles more. Also, the entirety of modern rap culture.

author=Max McGee
Look, like in some cases what you're saying seems kind of relevant like the cases that were tragic and horrible ACCIDENTS. But then you have shit like those cops that kidnapped and beat a twelve year old girl and we're supposed to feel bad that the COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION has sentenced them?

The title of this thread is "out of control" cops, isn't it? You were the one who started it. Didn't you mean the inexcusable violent behavior by police we've been seeing across the US in general?
Or did you originally mean a handful of isolated cases of premeditated, sociopathic behavior that really isn't exclusive to the police at all? Or did it just become convenient to change the focus of discussion to something you could more capably work with?
See Liberty's reply to me for a list of what I thought we were talking about.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
i'm not even going to go further into the movie thing because it's patently ridiculous

Yeah, it's kind of sad that some people actually hold this belief : That propaganda is history now, or at least that it doesn't work on them. The idea being that, because blatantly overt propaganda like that doled out during WW2 by both sides doesn't happen today, it simply doesn't exist anymore. Film is entertainment and has no influence on people's values.
It's not really a topic to delve into here, so whatever. Clouds are nice to live in.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
the rest of your post has already been dismissed by all statistics ever.

I don't know what numbers you decided to hold high but not link to, but...

author=pianotm
I think that this link is all the support that the theory of a systemic problem needs.

So just to clarify, if an officer uses violence and escalates an agitated situation, great, but if he chooses a humane approach and talk a situation down, he gets fired.

Even though we both agree, you're the only one putting me on the defensive. x_X;
Everyone else just wants crucifixions. Primitive justice, wheeee.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
are you trying to deny that police brutality is pervasive throughout american police forces
pianotm
You know, New Mexico actually has a police training course called "Killology", based on this. Killology focuses on the psychological effects that killing has on people trained in combat(!) such as police and military. The purpose is the promotion of "Warrior Science" in combat. This class teaches the four responses to a combat situation are fight, flight, posture, or submit. Submit is literally surrendering to the enemy. Posturing is only pretending to engage, while doing nothing to actually deter the "enemy". Flight is retreat. Fighting, of course is entering the engagement through attack. Guess, which category talking an agitated suspect down falls under; posturing. Taken together, this can be assumed: in any dangerous situation, if you are not drawing your weapon and opening fire, you are not being effective.

It would be nice to think I'm taking this out of context, but unfortunately I'm not. This science teaches combatants that anyone they face is an enemy combatant. Exercising deadly force as a first response is the only proper course of action. This course is also offered to law abiding, armed citizens. When opening fire, if you have a low hit to miss ratio, there's a problem. Obviously, you want to actually be shooting the people you're firing at.

So, if you see a street performer with a fake knife, if you, the officer assess the situation, well, you're just not doing you're job right. This is how it's done. These cops are doing their jobs right. See a man with a weapon; blow him away, just like in a video game. Was he breaking any laws? No? Who cares?
The real world is not Gotham City.
author=Max McGee
I'll try to not be too pedantic or condescending here but you are flat out wrong here by way of an actual factual error.

You're confusing 'indicted' with 'convicted'.

Don't consider yourself pedantic or condescending when you're correcting my error. I did confuse the two terms. Regardless, there needed to be a conviction.

Here, have a thing.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
A damning statistic indeed. (Side note, normally comparisons like this are innacurate at best, because of America's much larger population, larger ethnic and income diversity, but when it's this bad, fine, let's go with it.)

I hardly think it's because America's cops have all gathered together and decided it's fun killin' people. Our government (look at the politicians, not their enforcing arm) has created these conditions over generations. Urban blight and white flight are not the cops' fault.

I know, it's easy to hate on cops because they tend to give people speeding tickets and they're big and mean and tell you what to do. But they're trained to follow a set of rules, and defend themselves with lethal force if they feel threatened. And then they're expected to enforce, with physical violence, laws against the selling of cigs outside of the original package. Absurd. What are they, vulcans?

Under these circumstances, of course there's going to be a lot of mishaps, slipping through the cracks, stress-related outbursts. I have a feeling that some people are so naive that they believe everything would be shitting rainbows and smiles if the cops would just be nicer.

Police brutality is an issue yes. Yes there's corruption, yes the Eric Garner case was bullshit. And I've acknowledged this multiple times. I simply think it's a symptom, not a root cause.
author=Liberty
https://38.media.tumblr.com/52293efab7c066b1db2aac1020257ef4/tumblr_ng01fkz52a1u4vvmko1_1280.jpgHere, have a thing.

I can't believe I'm dumb enough to get involved in this topic, but I want to point out: British police officers do not carry guns. As such, including Britain on that list is misleading.

The point of the image stands, but I just wanted to point that out. It bugged me. Japan does issue firearms (a smaller caliber revolver), if I'm not mistaken (I might be), so that fits. From what I've read, Japan actually has some of the lowest crime rates in the world, with white collar crime being one of the more common ones. Makes me wonder how the Japanese legal system works. If anyone has links to insightful information, send them my way?

As for the primary topic... I'm not going to comment on that.
Max McGee
Everyone else just wants crucifixions. Primitive justice, wheeee.

Crucifixions? Seriously? Seeing these cops face ANY KIND OF LEGAL CONSEQUENCES AT ALL would be a nice start.
pianotm
Yes, and now we have massive civil unrest because of these cracks. Clearly dismissing these cracks as "shit happens, just deal with it" is not a functional response to the problem.

Now, let me put this on the line so you can clearly understand what the real issue is: unless everyone's willing to sit down and agree to real reform of our justice code, people are going to start throwing molotov cocktails, and start using automatic weapons against police. In fact, it's already happening. Berkeley protesters were protesting peacefully, breaking no laws, when police not only fired tear gas onto the crowd, but ruthlessly beat anybody they saw, and trampled the injured. After two days of this clearly rogue police behavior, protesters have demolished several police cruisers, local banks, and are now hurling explosives at police. And you know what? They brought it on themselves. Protesters were abiding by the laws and the police came in and immediately responded by attacking and hospitalizing, and maybe killing protesters (I don't know, medical news out of Oakland is being suppressed). The California's law enforcement offices have consistently had a gross disregard for human rights (look up California eugenics for just one example...No, they've only officially stopped. They're still experimenting on prisoners). These Gestapo tactics are inexcusable and to say that people are wrong for resisting is equally inexcusable.

If the police continue to get a free pass for their abuses, then the collapse of U. S. is going to stop just being something you see on TV. The police will come in and they won't care if you ever stuck up for them. You will just be another enemy civilian.

Edit: Yes, I think I even cited the Wikipedia at the beginning of this thread regarding Britain's gun policies.
author=harmonic
I simply think it's a symptom, not a root cause.

Agreed. All of these awful things are symptomatic of larger, more complex and deeper rooted problems.