WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Currently trying to redo first boss fight. This is what I have so far (might make a blog specifically for updating enemies/bosses, but for now I'll post this here so maybe I can get some feedback here. I never get feedback on my blog posts so...yeah):

Cirno (Pure attacker):

Attack
Diamond Blizzard: 150 Ice-elemental damage to party.
Minus K: AoE Freeze
Icicle Fall: ~60-80 Ice-elemental damage to one target + chance of Freeze.

Daiyousei:

Attack
Heal: Restores 40 HP to party
Reflect: Reflects all skills.
Regenga: Regen to party (Regen restores 5% Max HP every turn. This includes ALL turns)
Blink: Avoids all regular attacks.
Cure: Restores 150 HP to one ally.
Life: Revives KO'd ally with 25% Max HP. Only used if Cirno is dead.
Slow: Halves target's speed.

And since enemy types are all going to get innate abilities, this is what Cirno/Daiyousei would get.

Fairy: Auto-Life after X amount of turns. HP set to 50% of Max HP.

(Note: Still a WIP. Not sure how many turns should pass, and not sure on innate weaknesses/strengths to statuses/elements either yet, or if any other abilities. Fairies are generally strong only in numbers).

Since it's the first actual boss fight of the game, I still want it to be easy but also challenging while not being overly tough. The enemies will NOT change at all and will still be tutorial-like enemies (Fairies still use basic Fire/Blizzard/Thunder/Aero/Water/Cure spells, Hornets still either attack or inflict Poison with Poison Needle, Alligators still have high strength and HP, but are still easily beaten, Eagles still attack and Dive, and Water Toads still only use Water or Attack. Nothing too powerful here). As they are right now, they're TOO easy to beat and require no strategy.

Here? Cirno is meant as a check to see if the player actually bought any Barettes (Halves Ice-elemental damage and prevents Freeze), while Daiyousei is a check to see if the player is smart enough to take her out first before taking out Cirno. I may also make it so that if Cirno dies first, Daiyousei will flee from the fight (she essentially gives up), but not sure if I will do that yet.

The problem right now is the Reflect/Blink combo, as if both are on any single target, that'll make the fight exceptionally hard (can't hit with skill due to Reflect, can't hit with regular attacks due to Blink). Not sure if one or the other should go. Note that you only have Reimu and Marisa at this point in the game, though if Marisa hit either of them with a Master Spark (75% chance of doing so), it's essentially a OHKO on them (however, it costs 90% of her Max MP to use it at level 1...). Originally, Daiyousei had Bravega/Protectga/Faithga too, but seeing as stat buffs in 2k3 are generally useless, she lost those.

Any suggestions/feedback/criticisms on this? It's important to me as I want to make the game more challenging (at least more fun and unique for battles anyways) without making it boring or too difficult. I can only do so much on my own. >_<

Yes, I finally got back to this game after 8 weeks or longer. Took that long just to finish the Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem LP, oi vey...
Testing out the sprite's colour palette against the palette the game's levels will use. Luckily I can keep the colours I used on the previous iteration of this sprite, and it still pops.

This is a full map example of the game, I know it may be sort of hard to see the different colours when it's against the white background of RMN.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/29496/locker/Lighting_Concept_2.png
At this moment i'm working on The Atlantis map...for my game "Finalbound"
Still stretching the enviremant a little bit...
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Trying to get pick up and throw mechanics working in Perseverance: Adherance, sadly I don't think I'll be able to make the object move with the player smoothly without some sort of script, but-- I have a couple other things to try.

Currently what happens is that I check if the player is pressing an arrowkey then move the lift object by direction... however since it cant detect if the player event stops moving, this can lead to frustrating behaviour such as the orb moving in front of me and moving it off the edge of the map by holding an arrow key against a wall.

Everything else is implemented, dual actor support (Nola's HUD has a different skin), all eight weapons, platforming... etc.

Now, one thing I could certainly do is make throw-hold sprites which will be 32x64 and have an empty space below the object, which would allow me simply to snap the object to player, instead of doing what it is i do currently and mesh it 1 tile above the player.

By today's end I swear I'll have this running smoothly.

Edit: WOW, yeah it's a bit silly looking but basically I just made it follow the player closely and didn't use variables at all, that worked.
My latest wizardy:

Working on a Game Jolt plugin/interface for 2k3 games, so that people can add achievements and scores! Caveats: It'll require a game jolt username/token. Tokens are like temporary passwords you can use with games. The UI is going to be completely plugin-based, so you can literally add the dll, set a few settings in dynrpg.ini, and it will have some kind of presence in your game. What I think I'll do is have some kind of notification at the title screen that says either "Press F10 (or similar) to log in, or if the user is already stored, it'll say "Logged in as User12345." Alternatively, if you're like me and you have a no title screen patch (but build your own), you'll be able to load that process via comment command.

So far, I have login/achievements mocked up (leaderboards in the future), and the toast notifications mocked and coded. The actual process of logging in is coded too, but I just have the user/token set via ini at the moment. Basically, you log in once, and it will store your info in a Settings.ini that will autoload in future sessions. Additionally, I had to write a sweet text engine in order to use the font below. That could probably be a plugin alone. So far, it supports ASCII, and extended ASCII, but that will probably be it. Now, on to the screens!

"Toast" notifications (probably the most important part) work splendidly:

This will be the achievement/trophy list:

Finally, this is a mock-up of the login process:

There's some other stuff I need to mock up and figure out (like unsuccessful login attempts, logout, leaderboards, etc). The current color scheme is based on Game Jolt's official scheme, but I'll probably add some way of customizing it. Before I get too deep coding this thing, any thoughts? Suggestions?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Oh, dats spectacular!
OMG PEPSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII THAT'S LIKE
OMG
LOL
THAT'S LIKE
REALLY
IMPRESSIVE.

I MEAN REALLY IMPRESSIVE. LOL

GOSHHHHHHHHHHHH I NEED TO MAKE AN RM2K3 GAME NOW TO HONOR THIS LOLOLOLOLO
author=PepsiOtaku
My latest wizardy:

Working on a Game Jolt plugin/interface for 2k3 games, so that people can add achievements and scores! Caveats: It'll require a game jolt username/token. Tokens are like temporary passwords you can use with games. The UI is going to be completely plugin-based, so you can literally add the dll, set a few settings in dynrpg.ini, and it will have some kind of presence in your game. What I think I'll do is have some kind of notification at the title screen that says either "Press F10 (or similar) to log in, or if the user is already stored, it'll say "Logged in as User12345." Alternatively, if you're like me and you have a no title screen patch (but build your own), you'll be able to load that process via comment command.

So far, I have login/achievements mocked up (leaderboards in the future), and the toast notifications mocked and coded. The actual process of logging in is coded too, but I just have the user/token set via ini at the moment. Basically, you log in once, and it will store your info in a Settings.ini that will autoload in future sessions. Additionally, I had to write a sweet text engine in order to use the font below. That could probably be a plugin alone. So far, it supports ASCII, and extended ASCII, but that will probably be it.

Wow, this is great! Gamejolt's probably the only other website that I regularly visit besides RMN in terms of RPGMaker. I'd be happy to help you test out any functionality if you need the assistance!

I think visually it looks pretty consistent and appropriate with the site's layout as well.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
That's super cool Pepsi, I never used much of rm2k3 but you've made a LOT of people very happy little campers.

As for me, work has gone into overdrive for Perseverance: Adherence, these are some of the new mechanics implemented so far.

-Climbing
-Climbstrafing
-Picking up and Throwing Objects
-Pushing buttons and pulling levers (and looking very cool while doing it.)
-Charge-dashing
-Shadowdash (temporary invulnerability frames)
-Jumping (in an automated keypress sense, not true platforming.)
-Strafing (Holding the 'D' key locks your facing direction.)

All of that bar strafing is evented.
Thanks! I'm not sure how many people will use it, but it's certainly a fun side project.

@Blindmind. Definitely! I'll need some testers, although it's pretty stable so far. I'll send you a PM when it's done.

Finished coding the achievement list yesterday. It's VERY cool. As soon as you go into the screen, the achievements shoot up from the bottom into their proper places. There's a minor bug I have to fix with the scrolling though. Overall, the hardest part (for me anyway) will be getting full keyboard input for the login screen. Unsure about the best way to do that, but give me a few days. :)
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Pepsi, did you know WIP wanted to have that sort of functionality for VX games when he was working on his last iteration of RMN? We were gonna implement it in Visions & Voices. Kinda cool to see something similar get hooked up, even if 2k3 is an ancient relic at this point.
Haha, it is a relic, but at least the c++ coding I'm doing is a marketable skill, so it's not a complete waste.

I saw that someone made a VX Ace script for the game jolt API, but it doesn't have an interface or anything, which is kind of a bummer. Someone could easily expand on that if they wanted to though. The gui is kind of important to me, because I want developers to just plug in a few values and have it up and running without worrying about any sort of coding.
Working on passive-aggressively getting people to work on the lid, mic, and webcam plugins (I'd do it myself, but I'm a novice programmer, and worried I'd screw it up, to say nothing of having alot of code I don't know). It's not happening, from what I can tell, but I'm hopeful.

Personally working on rebuilding my games, since the whole duplicate game glitch wiped out months of work. So far, I got a few monsters rebuilt, most of the physical skills, and the items. Then I'll try to remake boss monsters for chapter 3 & 4. That's just for Tales From The Reaper. Oracle of Tao will probably need a playtest to check whether the GamePlus works, and check a number of battle and function formulas. Then I'll add a few little perks, like illnesses (cold, heatstroke, maybe mold).
I am just putzing around during downtimes at work with a Java game experiment (why java? because it is what I have access to at work)

I am attempting to make a MyBrute clone ( www.mybrute.com/ ) but based on the Battledome setting that Dudesoft runs (where giant robots slug it out).

The gist of the game is that your battler will be pitted against another battler, and they duke it out on their own until one is defeated (HP == 0). They have 4 main stats: Health, Energy, Attack, and Agility (and a bunch of secondary stats like critical chance, evade, parry etc...), a cache of Weapons that they can deploy (only one at a time though), up to three drones (ie- pets in MyBrute), and a suite of Actions/Abilities/Items like crustacean plating, suplex, beam cannon, energy stealers, whetanium shields, etc...

The main game loop determines turn order (based on agility) and has the battlers do Actions (right now all I have coded is basic Attack), until one of the battlers has HP == 0.

Eventually what I want to do is have a sense of progression, where you develop a battler by picking his body type, fighting style, and stat growth, and then battler can earn XP for his battles, and level up (whereby he'd be granted better stats and a new weapon or ability or somesuch), or maybe compete in tournaments.

I have a basic skeleton started, which outputs a battle to command line, with fixed battlers. I have implemented the basic logic of a regular attack, and prototyped a way for determining turn order. Here is a sample of what is output:

Welcome to Battledome!
Turnpoints threshold is 20
Turn 1
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 9 Planet Slammer= 7
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 19
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 16
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 19 Planet Slammer= 16
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 29
Squaturian added to turnqueue, has 9 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 25
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 5 turnpoints remaining.
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian inflicts {PHYSICAL=11} damage to Planet Slammer
Planet Slammer: 89/100 HP
Planet Slammer has been stunned!
Planet Slammer's turn.
Planet Slammer recovers from being stunned.
Turn 2
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 9 Planet Slammer= 5
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 19
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 14
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 19 Planet Slammer= 14
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 29
Squaturian added to turnqueue, has 9 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 23
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 3 turnpoints remaining.
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian attacks! Planet Slammer parries!
Planet Slammer's turn.
Planet Slammer inflicts {PHYSICAL=14} damage to Squaturian
Squaturian: 86/100 HP
Turn 3
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 9 Planet Slammer= 3
Squaturian added 9 turnpoints for total of 18
Planet Slammer added 10 turnpoints for total of 13
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 18 Planet Slammer= 13
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 28
Squaturian added to turnqueue, has 8 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 22
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 2 turnpoints remaining.
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian inflicts {PHYSICAL=18} damage to Planet Slammer
Planet Slammer: 71/100 HP
Planet Slammer's turn.
Squaturian: 72/100 HP
Turn 4
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 8 Planet Slammer= 2
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 18
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 11
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 18 Planet Slammer= 11
Planet Slammer added 10 turnpoints for total of 21
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 1 turnpoints remaining.
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian inflicts {PHYSICAL=14} damage to Planet Slammer
Planet Slammer: 57/100 HP
Planet Slammer's turn.
Planet Slammer inflicts {PHYSICAL=13} damage to Squaturian
Squaturian: 59/100 HP
Turn 5
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 8 Planet Slammer= 1
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 18
Planet Slammer added 10 turnpoints for total of 11
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 18 Planet Slammer= 11
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 20
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian inflicts {PHYSICAL=15} damage to Planet Slammer
Planet Slammer: 42/100 HP
Turn 6
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 8 Planet Slammer= 20
Squaturian added 9 turnpoints for total of 17
Planet Slammer added 10 turnpoints for total of 30
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 10 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer's turn.
Squaturian: 45/100 HP
Turn 7
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 17 Planet Slammer= 10
Squaturian added 9 turnpoints for total of 26
Squaturian added to turnqueue, has 6 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 19
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian inflicts {PHYSICAL=11} damage to Planet Slammer
Planet Slammer: 31/100 HP
Planet Slammer counterattacks and inflicts {PHYSICAL=6} damage to Squaturian
Squaturian: 39/100 HP
Turn 8
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 6 Planet Slammer= 19
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 16
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 28
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 8 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer's turn.
Planet Slammer inflicts {PHYSICAL=13} damage to Squaturian
Squaturian: 26/100 HP
Turn 9
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 16 Planet Slammer= 8
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 26
Squaturian added to turnqueue, has 6 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 17
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian inflicts {PHYSICAL=14} damage to Planet Slammer
Planet Slammer: 17/100 HP
Turn 10
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 6 Planet Slammer= 17
Squaturian added 10 turnpoints for total of 16
Planet Slammer added 10 turnpoints for total of 27
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 7 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer's turn.
Planet Slammer inflicts {PHYSICAL=16} damage to Squaturian
Squaturian: 10/100 HP
Turn 11
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 16 Planet Slammer= 7
Squaturian added 9 turnpoints for total of 25
Squaturian added to turnqueue, has 5 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 16
Squaturian's turn.
Squaturian inflicts {PHYSICAL=12} damage to Planet Slammer
Planet Slammer: 5/100 HP
Turn 12
Turnpoints: Squaturian= 5 Planet Slammer= 16
Squaturian added 9 turnpoints for total of 14
Planet Slammer added 9 turnpoints for total of 25
Planet Slammer added to turnqueue, has 5 turnpoints remaining.
Planet Slammer's turn.
Planet Slammer inflicts {PHYSICAL=17} damage to Squaturian
Squaturian: 0/100 HP
Squaturian has been defeated.
Squaturian has died!
And so concludes the Battledome.

I hope one day to implement a visual representation of the battle, and maybe host a persistent gameworld on our server here at RMN where you guys could log in, make battlers, and fight each other's robots whenever you wanted.

I was debating making a gameprofile for it if there was enough interest in helping me hammer out the finer details, game logic, numbers and percentages, and brainstorming weapons and abilities and items.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I don't know Java but I wouldn't mind throwing ideas at the project, kentona! If you want to do more "research", there's that mybrute-esque game RMN also played for a little bit... i totally forgot the name of it, though. i'll edit this post once i remember

is it back-and-forth turns, or does high agility mean you might act more often than your opponent? i know that ToME (a roguelike) has actions that give you a % of a turn, and then once you have 100% of a turn you instantly act again. a version of that might work well?

edit: Pepsi, that's admirable/understandable, yeah. go make pro games with dat C++ (y u no A++ </meme>)
That reminds me a lot of an old game I used to play called Heavy Metal War on Seibertron.com . And yes, it was a transformers fan game! You'd create a new transformer, give them a name, and a vehicle mode. The vehicle mode would give them a special ability: Cars and fliers could fly to evade an attack and tanks and guns could transform to do an extra attack / damage. You could put stats into your guys based on their level and the stats were the same as the old transformers stat cards with stuff like Strength, Endurance, Courage, and Firepower. You also could buy and equip weapons for each guy and what you could equip was based on some stats like firepower.

Once they were set up you threw them into the ring where they'd fight against another player's transformer from another faction. The fight was entirely automated and you could only see the results. How they fought was based on their stats but it just came down to each one taking shots at each other and hoping you too more actions and they hit. Here's a sample battle for an example.
author=Craze
I don't know Java but I wouldn't mind throwing ideas at the project, kentona! If you want to do more "research", there's that mybrute-esque game RMN also played for a little bit... i totally forgot the name of it, though. i'll edit this post once i remember

is it back-and-forth turns, or does high agility mean you might act more often than your opponent? i know that ToME (a roguelike) has actions that give you a % of a turn, and then once you have 100% of a turn you instantly act again. a version of that might work well?

edit: Pepsi, that's admirable/understandable, yeah. go make pro games with dat C++ (y u no A++ </meme>)

There is a possibility of doing more attacks than the other guy. It's kind of an ATB variant - I have only coded it today, so I haven't really tested the fairness of it yet, but here is a rundown:

turnqueue set to empty
threshold = sum of AGL of all participants
initialize everyones turncounter (set to their AGL +- 50%)

while(turnqueue is empty)
for each battler
battler.turncounter += AGL (+- 10%) (+ speedmodifiers?)
if turncounter > threshold
turnqueue.add battler
battler.turncounter -= threshold

sort turnqueue by counter value most to least (if more than one battler is added to the turnqueue in the same "cycle")

while turnqueue is not empty
pop first battler in queue
do their turn

...so if someone had double the AGL, they'd go roughly twice as many times. I haven't implemented any speed modifying add-ons yet, and the +- 50% and +- 10% variabilities were pulled completely from my ass, and the threshold was pretty arbitrary, too.

MyBrute is the only AI-driven battle game I've played, so I would welcome more ideas!
Hey, I'm sorta new to this particular thread, even though I've been a member for a rather long time (starting when I joined as Xamusel_Uzumaki). Well, anyway, here's what I'm working on (because I don't have anything to show for it yet, I'd like it if you could keep any comments on that subject to yourself, please).

At present, I am working on an RMVXA game, mainly one set in an alternate universe of the Naruto canon (please, don't get on my case about it being a fangame, and don't get on my case about it being based on Naruto). It might not seem like much, but I wish to avert the canon ending of the Naruto manga, not make it so that the game goes down the canon path. As of right about now, I've just gotten started with the game from the beginning of its development, including the opening sequence that I had to borrow from the original show (mainly because it would prove helpful if I used it to demonstrate at what point the game starts).

No, I don't intend to keep the majority of canon events, that would suck if they stayed... especially the part where Naruto was an orphan. So, instead, I'm reworking the Naruto storyline from the ground up... and making sure that many (if not all) of the plot holes get filled up.
So I am finshing a concept for a game, I had to put site here down because concept is going to be revamped a little bit again. I am also in touch with more experienced coder, which is interested in this game concept and we'll discuss the future progress. If it works well, game will start fresh anew and engine will be build from a zero again with more stuff in mind, there also will be more terrain graphic and variety, hills, etc. Check if u liked vids before, there is also this climb ability which is shown in this vid - I think Climb is cool :))) I was heavily inspred by Seirei Densetsu Lickle. Check also the Title screen crow test and let me know how do u like it or don't like it. :D Feedback is pushing my determination.

please note that game has no music and I m using provisional in video, shame !