2010 MISAO WINNERS

I didn't bother to check the complete listing at first, but now I see that my game actually managed to rake up 6 votes. Although they were all scattered in different categories, I'm glad the game was appreciated enough to earn them.
I'm still amused by the fact Marvel Brothel got a vote for best atmosphere.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't mind Vacnat Sky winning practically everything. Taking second place in practically everything, in the case of Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis, is nothing to sneeze at!

As a side-note, I'm surprised and a bit excited by the fact that I got a vote at all. I must be doing something right! I guess?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
The old system is dumb, F-G. Please get off your broken record player.

To comment on this situation more, Vacant Sky pretty much trounced everyone for good reason: Misaos have always been a popularity contest and VS was able to get more marketing. Thus, it wins!

Unfortunately, there is no way to really determine "the best" in any category in a good way. No, having nominations doesn't help because it's just an additional step in a popularity contest. You can brute force it just like you can normal votes.

The only way TO create a best list, is to have a committee like how the Academy Awards works. But this goes entirely against the blood of this site and won't be something I'll implement. No user here is better than the rest and I'd shut the site down rather than implement something like that. (Yes I realize Featured Game goes against that and that's why it will be removed in the future)

There will be a post in the future about what direction the Misaos will take.
We can have a committee for the awards: The Academy of RPG Maker Arts and Sciences
She decides to blow off saving someone else's life in order to go kill someone for no real benefit.

okay the thing is there is a very obvious benefit. and that is that this person puts people into comas that are irreversible without the help of a rare magical artifact. at this point in the game, to everyone's knowledge, we would be better off not saving this person. regardless of how you justify it afterwards, the fact remains that I, the player, am forced to make a choice between bestowing mercy on a clearly harmful individual and actually doing something important.

I wrote the game to tell a story, not to try to convey a message.

I am not saying the game has a moral to it. I am saying that I, the player, am punished for not choosing the more 'moral' of the two options.

What don't you accept about this? Goku is firmly established to be bull-headed, immature, hypocritical, and headstrong. He's a lonely loser with an inferiority complex and for the first time in his unextraordinary life, a omggirl!!! is head over heels for him. He's a miserable attention-seeker and the only person who isn't his mother that has ever shown an interest in him is dying. He doesn't care about what she's done, he cares about this large-breasted girl whose vacuous skull is filled with nothing but adoration for him.

another big part of his character is "kill all the evil dudes." so much that he murders the main character's friend because some guy in sunglasses said she was a demon. i found this to be by and far the most distinct part of his personality and find it hard to believe that this guy, the guy who ran into a swirling hellfire of death to save someone who was basically a jerk to him from day 1 for no other reason than "saving friends is cool," no matter how much of a dumb virgin he is, would sell an angel into slavery. frankly i did not really find any hint in the game that i played that this guy had never had any girl show interest in him. auria, certainly, but then she is a horrible person so

With regard to the sword, you have a point, but it's not "firmly established" that god is real.

a literal angel

In Act II, the choice which was arguably the morally correct route was to attempt to save both Serijala and Matthew from Kasch,

i don't think that actually has anything to do with morality and also that guy was dumb.

She neither dies nor gets raped. He wants her to be an eternal trophy and because of the revelation in Maladorr manor (which I won't mention since it's one of the like two spoilers I care about not being ruined for prospective players), the two go hand in hand.

okay regardless of what you wanted when I am forced to become the "wife" of someone who keeps consorts in a game with two other rape-related scenes I can only think one thing!!!! spoilers there are ways to have sex without getting someone pregnant and also abortions probably exist or something spoilers

Did you really think that fighting Darxinger was the way to go? I know several people knew that challenging him was a mistake but still went ahead with it out of curiosity to see what would happen.

i was fully under the impression that if I did not fight him I would get a gameover. multiquotes make me feel unclean
Maybe this should be taken to the game profile.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Yeah I thought it would be pretty evident that you two dorks are talking in the wrong place. Move it to the game profile.
Congratulations to Sailerius and Vacant Sky! I was humbled to see my game pop up in a few categories.

I enjoy the Misaos, I think anything that makes an attempt to democratically recognize the bright lights of our community is right in spirit even if some disagree with the way it's carried out. I wouldn't mind having a preliminary year-round vote for 3 or 4 category nominees, then an end-of-year month or week blitz to really encourage people to play each of the titles and vote for each category.

Of course, I'm speaking as your average RMN user and not someone with any particular expertise in community awards or implementation.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I apologize for the topic derailment. Jericho, I'll post a reply on the game's profile, if you don't mind continuing the discussion. If anyone else has concerns about the game, particularly if you didn't like it, I ask you to please post them on the game's profile so that I can take your feedback into account in the new version. I really want to improve the game, but vacuous comments like "wtf vacant sky sucked" really don't tell me what I need to improve.

Thanks to everyone who supported Vacant Sky and congratulations to the rest of the winners!
I like how Mega Mario Deluxe (Complete) got votes on "Best Music & Sound", "Best Graphics & Artwork", "Best Level Design"

What a farce xD I know its an opinion thing and probably susceptible to abuse(create an account to vote for your own game) but it's goes to show me just how pointless this all is.

I'm surprised at the numbers. There was only 2 contenders across the board. It's my first time being around for these awards. I kind of thought it would be cool to maybe gets votes in the future but now I'm not interested. I'd be satisfied with a small following and lots of downloads.
User feedback means a lot more than votes or downloads.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
He doesn't care about what she's done, he cares about this large-breasted girl whose vacuous skull is filled with nothing but adoration for him.

at the end of the day, isn't this what life is all about?
What I find hilarious is that Space Funeral, a game that was actually recognized in a magazine as one of the best games of the year compared to 'legitl' video games like Mass Effect 2 didn't win any awards. Also that the winner for most promising demo 2010 was a demo from 2009.
pretty much my take on it
why didn't i give all my votes to sonic rpg...
author=Alex898
Also that the winner for most promising demo 2010 was a demo from 2009.

Yeah, I released it one week before 2010. I think that's close enough.
author=Fallen-Griever
Example: http://rpgmaker.net/games/1896/

That game has a character design vote. You've got to be kidding me...

So does my gaem engine and it's not even a gaem.