WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW?

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=kentona
Here I am!

Oh I found the video you're in! You make a good point! I think....
..okay, so you can't date someone ever again after your love died else they 'stole' you. Right. Sure. :/

Really now. Cloud had Zack's memories thanks to the bullshit that was done to them by Hojo messing with their heads and him repressing a ton of memories so he built new ones to cover the old. It's a thing people in traumatic experiences do.

He wandered around, found some work then met Tifa again, who he felt a connection to and who knew him. (Remember, she knew him as a kid so it's not like he just turned up on a strangers' doorstep and went "Ayyyyyyy grl") Then Aeris started throwing herself at him (yeah, she wasn't fucking pure, wtf is with this whole 'Aeris was pure' shit?) and demanding his attention. She was the one who pushed him into a date, she was the one who made the advances towards him and she was the one who had a history of dating. Not Cloud.

It's almost like people only see the 'sweet' character side, even though she wasn't at all the whole sweet innocent type. She got a bit catty with Tifa (who was just as catty back), she was pushy and stubborn. Yeah, she was nice and kind, but she wasn't some kind of holy priestess virgin who'd never seen a man before. Like, seriously, dude? Hell, if anything, that was CLOUD.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
She's also the reason for Cloud being a cross dresser. The real reason he's emo in Advent Children
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Regarding fans seeing Aeris as some kind of pure innocent, that's not really their fault, it's more like that's how Square has retconned the character in later works. In Advent Children and FFT and most other cameo appearances, the only things they ever show her doing are selling flowers and praying.

In Before Crisis she's an actual character but her personality is pretty different from FF7. The first thing Zack says to her is that he mistakes her for an angel, and that sets the tone for her role through the whole game.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
There is a much larger issue here than whether or not Aerith was pure and innocent.

You're all misspelling her name. This is a most unforgivable crime.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Jeroen_Sol
There is a much larger issue here than whether or not Aerith was pure and innocent.

You're all misspelling her name. This is a most unforgivable crime.

Fortunately, they're both pronounced the same, since the whole reason that it's spelled Aerith is because of how the Japanese language represents the letter S in writing.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
In a really backwards way, Sephiroth kinda needed Tifa to stay alive. Like, she's the other one in the party that was at Neibelhiem that day, and "knew" Cloud wasn't there then. That's the "truth" that she keeps locked in her heart, and why she keeps her distance from Cloud. Don't try to tell me that Sephiroth doesn't try to use this "fact" to his advantage too. Aeris, on the other hand, only ever knew about Zack, and I totally forget what, exactly, she says about their relationship.

Though, I suppose that Aeris having the White Materia that could cast Holy, and that she prayed for it's activation, might have also had some say into the perception of her purity? I dunno.
She was named Aeris in PAL versions of the game (or in Australia, at least).

I hate retconned Aeris. I look forward to the FF7 remake until I remember how they changed her personality. (Not that there's anything wrong with wispy gentle girls. That just wasn't her, though.)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
On second thought, maybe Sephiroth didn't need Tifa to live, but, he sure as hell used her "truth", to mess with both Cloud and Tifa.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Just because in the original English releases the mistaken spelling Aeris was used doesn't make it less of a mistake.

Her name is based on the word Earth. Also, I'm pretty sure Squenix has not used the name Aeris anymore in any games she's in after FF7. So Aerith is definitely the correct spelling.
Yeah, it's an anagram of I, Earth.

It's the canon name, but I guess I tend to think of her subconsciously as "Aeris" (which I already mixed up with "Aries" when I was a kid) while knowing it's supposed to be "-rith" now.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
The biggest question is why did she have to die? And I don't mean this in a mopey way, just for complete transparency. Spoiler alert for the end of Final Fantasy 7, but even with Holy coming in to save the world from Meteor, it actually gave Meteor strength and it wasn't until the Lifestream decided to take a piss all over the world that there was any hope of the world one day being semi-inhabitable again, hence why at the end of the game when it's like "100 years later", the place is still a mess but there's grass sprouting up around the ruins of Midgar so that's an improvement.

It's like all they wanted was for a big shocking maybe-death like in the prequel (which I've already stated my problems with), but with other people meeting their end by "Sephiroth's" Masamune (the president of Shin-Ra* was honestly more disturbing because "he" left it stuck in his back), they didn't need Aerithhhhhhhhhhhhhh *steam valve broke* to bite it, too.

*It's funny, because I went to Google the president of Shinra to make sure it was the same character I was thinking about and found this. Internet, you funny.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
That movie is so good.
Dayum; that shot with the crater and all the bodies. The branches blown upwards. Dayum.
i want to die please just kill me already.
(i'm jk fyi)
lonestarsuperlunimary

Are you okay?
No I think I like girls and I'm scared of what my parents are going to think.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=lonestarsuperlunimary
No I think I like girls and I'm scared of what my parents are going to think.

Parents can be like that. I once had a conversation where one of mine looked me in the eye worryingly and asked me if I was gay. I think it was because I spent so much time talking about being sympathetic to the plights of the LGBT and they thought it was one of those "well a friend of mine such and such" moments.

It's going to be a thing most parents are going to be concerned about because they want to raise children that will keep the family alive, and a part of that is having children of their own. They remember the overwhelming sense of joy they had in their hearts holding you in their arms when you were born and they want that for you as well. Even if they're okay with you being gay, that's still something they'll have to adjust to because of how big of an influence it has on their dreams for you.

Of course if they're religious it's going to be extremely dangerous coming out to them because I think we all know where that can lead and I think it's safe to say no one here wants that sort of heart ache for you. If you plan on telling them, make sure you wait until you have a back-up plan ready, and that includes having a friend who can let you stay with them.