RIP AMANDA TODD

Pages: first prev 12 last
A lot of people at that age could have acceptance issues. Especially in regards to their own body. That's why it's easy for some...sexual predators to hunt down young age girls because of ~sweet words~

It's all psychological.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
So I read up on this topic on Wiki just so I could get up to date on what this is all about, and some points came to mind:

1. What were her parents/guardians doing? Obviously they knew something was amiss since they kept moving, but it's also clear that it wasn't solving the problem and I didn't find information on any further action taken by her family.
2. What was the school staff doing when she was being bullied in real life at school?
3. Why wasn't the police involved earlier? The guy stalking the girl and posting various crap can most likely be filed under stalking and sexual harrassment, among other possible charges.

In addition, harsh as I'll come off by saying this, I call bullshit on the whole "nobody to lean on" argument. There's her parents, there's the staff of the school she attends, there's law enforcement, there's plenty of people to ask for help if she simply had the will to.

I mean, yeah, suicide is never a good thing and I hope she rests in peace now, but there are many factors here that make me doubt whether this story truly deserves the level of sympathy that it's demanding.

My apologies if I come off as an insensitive jerk, but that's my honest 2 cents.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
@KingArthur - I don't think you're being too insensitive. There are a lot of unanswered questions, and I don't think you can fully form an opinion until you know every side of the story. But I agree that suicide is awful, and any situation where someone dislikes life enough to actually quit is horribly tragic and an awful thing to go through.

But as for having "nobody to lean on", it can be difficult as a teenager to think anyone is on your side. She may well have had her parents' support and the police too but as a young person, it's difficult to really identify with someone who is much older and expect them to understand your problems. I'm sure they would and could've actually helped, but it's a difficult relationship to form from the perspective of the kid. Especially when your confidence in making friends has been knocked so hard by people of your own age group. It's difficult to ever choose to make social contact with anyone ever again, in particular if you're seeking help.

But I think that this story has only truly come to light because of the Youtube attention. Without that video, she'd be another case of a young person killing themselves because they're surrounded by dickheads. Lots of kids kill themselves every day because of things like this, and I hope this story cropping up makes a few schools around the world choose to do something about it. :/ Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she's not 'special' or a 'unique' person; everyone is. And I'm definitely not saying that her death isn't a horrible loss, but it happens a lot and goes muchly unnoticed with a lot of kids (and even adults for that matter). I wish everyone who went through similar situations to her had the same attention given to their case, and that precautions were put in place to stop this kind of thing from happening.

In her case, I hope she didn't actually kill herself. I like to think there's a chance she faked her death and moved for a fresh start instead.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
This shit just doesn't happen here. I had a friend commit suicide, even saw him hanging there in his room and that image will never leave me. But thing is even to this day I still have no idea as to why he did it, he was a happy guy, huge ladies man could talk ANY girl up it was insane. Nice family, y'know no drugs, alcohol nothing.

See I just don't understand how getting to the point of deciding death is the only way out, stop the pain or whatever.

If I saw that incident happen at my school to someone I would have stepped in straight away. You can't treat people like that, it's fucken inhumane.

I agree she's just an attention whore so I can't feel sorry for her.
She could've resolve her problems, delete her facebook account, never return in social networks, but instead she was reading new comments over and over and she even made a video about her "misery" for internet audience, lol. Such a great idea.
And even aside of all that, there's much worse things than this, if you can't value your own life as much as you need to fight for it - why should others value it?
Some suicidal people really needs help. But not her, she wanted die for attention - she get it.

And people who harrased her are trash, but it really doesn't matter here.

even made a video about her "misery" for internet audience, lol.

Some suicidal people really needs help. But not her, she wanted die for attention - she get it.

Classic.
author=MirrorMasq
She could've resolve her problems, delete her facebook account, never return in social networks, but instead she was reading new comments over and over and she even made a video about her "misery" for internet audience, lol. Such a great idea.
And even aside of all that, there's much worse things than this, if you can't value your own life as much as you need to fight for it - why should others value it?

Wow.

No, really. Wow.
Now, I know that I'll be hated anyway, but maybe I should elaborate my point a bit more.
You see, there's a lot of people in this world who REALLY suffers. But they're struggling to survive. People with deadly deseases. Victims of wars. Handicapped people. Poor and starving people.
And now I see a story about bunch of pricks who loves to harass someone (there's a lot of them in schools, I know), and a girl who killed herself because of... comments on facebook and social dissaprovement of her flashing her tits.
Now, I don't feel sorry for her. I just can't. I also doesn't see any reason to do it. People who want to live but can't get a proper life deserves compassion. People who are living quite good but facing some social problems and don't want to live anymore - don't.
Ragging on people who commit suicide is a pretty horrible thing to do.
Pages: first prev 12 last