THE GREEN PROJECT

Pages: 1
YDS
member of the bull moose party
So ladies and gentlemen, when you hear of something like "the green project," what do you generally think of? An environmentally friendly movement? An economic package?

Well, in China, it has an entirely different meaning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/14/china

Villagers in south-western China are scratching their heads over the local government's decision to paint a barren mountainside green, it was reported today.

Workers who began spraying the Laoshou mountain last August told nearby residents they were doing so on the orders of the area authorities, but had not been told why.

Some villagers believed Fumin county officials were attempting to change the area's feng shui - the ancient Chinese belief of harmonising the physical environment for maximum health and financial benefit.

Others suggested it was an unusual attempt to "green" the area in keeping with calls for more attention to the environment.

The mountain's exposed rock, covered in an artificial green the colour of Astroturf, looms over houses against a scrubby background.

China's official Xinhua News Agency estimated the cost of the paint job at 470,000 yuan (£31,247 / which is a little over 60,000 US dollars) and quoted villagers as saying that, if spent on plants and trees, the money could have restored a far greater area of barren mountain.

Laoshou mountain was quarried for more than two decades, but the quarrying was recently stopped following complaints about dust and noise.

Officials have also been trying to stem environmental damage in the surrounding Yunnan province, where logging and the development of mountain areas have been blamed for heavy floods downriver.

A woman who answered the phone at the Fumin county forestry department said workers there were also unaware of the reasons behind the paint job.

"This is an order from above," she said. "You should ask the leader from above. I don't have any information on this."

WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
What the hell...
...Someone needs to play with RPG Maker...
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=WIP link=topic=1204.msg17982#msg17982 date=1211941226
What the hell...
Well this is just retarded.
Ah, those silly Chinese, trying to look hip and happening for all the cool kids before the big game in the backlot.
That's a pretty goofy way to protect the environment. I mean, how good could PAINT possibly be for the environment? It also seems silly because it's not going to last very long! I mean, dirt/rock erodes, so that paint is just going to weather away. You can already see patches where it's less green.
author=Gaius Mooglus Augustus IV link=topic=1204.msg17988#msg17988 date=1211943487
author=Tau Furlough the Wayfarer link=topic=1204.msg17987#msg17987 date=1211943319
author=WIP link=topic=1204.msg17982#msg17982 date=1211941226
What the hell...

author=King Karsuman the Wise link=topic=1204.msg18002#msg18002 date=1211951100
author=Gaius Mooglus Augustus IV link=topic=1204.msg17988#msg17988 date=1211943487
Well this is probably not a normal paint and more akin to cement. I imagine that the goal is to prevent erosion and dirt runoff by locking everything under a layer of green cementing agent.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
And that's why America needs to stay in charge.
Abley, cementing a mountain side would probably cost more than 60,000$, but that's just a guess.
author=Sir Chartley Chambers, the Curious Explorer link=topic=1204.msg18119#msg18119 date=1212019122
Abley, cementing a mountain side would probably cost more than 60,000$, but that's just a guess.

I said cementing agent GOSH.
here's a wild guess;

the government wants to show that they care for their people, so living their environment with colours? Why ze hell not? also, the choice of colour would naturally be that they stayed away from red, because it's seen as too obvious propaganda, so they took the next less obvious colour... uh... green... vomit green.... oui, oui, i know my politics

please all ze population wit ze moneys.
If they wanted to do a group activity why didn't they just start a war or something.

Also...What the hell...
I wouldn't like to live near a bright green rockface.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
It was a feng shui thing. Apparently green mountains bring good luck. Rather than planting trees and flora, they decide to make things go fast like a Chinese factor and paint it. I hope that mountain doesn't have as much lead as a Bratz doll!
Pages: 1