[RM2K3] GAMEOVER WAIT

Pages: 1
This topic.

Is there a way to reconfig the GameOver condition so instead of immediately quitting to GameOver if the entire party is dead, it checks for the custom event first and either waits until that event is done (after which if they're still dead it runs GameOver), or at least waits for the first line of code (which you could conceivably put Remove Death to the party).

I did a workaround myself, just reviving the hero after battle using a switch event, but it looks kinda off, since it always does it, and not simply when the whole party is dead.
"Remove Death" to the party isn't needed. See my post:
http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/12789/?post=446865#post446865

Go to Database > Conditions, and click on your death condition (first one on the page) and make sure "Extent of Effect" is set to "Ends after Battle"

As Milennin posted, this fixed the issue.
Well, yea. This is the basic solution. But I want do something where after the battle, characters are dead and have to be revived, but if the whole party dies, you start with just the hero revived (sort of like Dragon Quest 8). The problem with "end after battle" (I've tried it before, I know that works) is you have no incentive to do anything but use potions. No going to the priest, no buying the rarer and more expensive phoenix whatevers.

The only thing I came up that did both was to make a common event that is always on, that basically revived the hero. But yea, it sucks, because there seems to be no way of calling events if EveryoneDead is ON (I'd like a better way of deactivating/activating certain switches, like party shared experience, which also likes to skip over stuff due to fact that it can't tell the difference between everyone winning and losing in battle). And maybe to be able to create various custom defeat options for random enemies instead of just bosses.

Dammit, when I post I get "1 Rule of a Flat Stomach" blocking the second half of my comments.
I think you're over-thinking it.

Set the Dead condition effect to "Ends after Battle", and then in your common event that occurs instead of a game over, just add this:
Change HP: Hero 2's HP 1 Remove (Set to "HP Reduction can kill target")
Change HP: Hero 3's HP 1 Remove
Change HP: Hero 4's HP 1 Remove
etc.

That should be all you need, instead of using party & condition checks. Also, use Auto-starts instead of parallel processes. Ugh.

Edit: Oh I guess you will need some kind of check that sees who the first party member is too, but it looks like you have something like that.
author=PepsiOtaku
"Remove Death" to the party isn't needed. See my post:
http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/12789/?post=446865#post446865

Go to Database > Conditions, and click on your death condition (first one on the page) and make sure "Extent of Effect" is set to "Ends after Battle"

As Milennin posted, this fixed the issue.

I made it work without changing the remove death after battle under conditions. The way I made my "game over" work is to set random encounter death handler (under Battle Layout) to a common event.
Or if it's a scripted battle, call the common event with the defeat handler, instead of making it go game over.

I built my common event like this:

Before a battle is engaged I have another common event that stores the characters' HP and MP, and loads it up at the game over event to revive the party in the same state as it was before the battle in which it got defeated was entered.

At the bottom of my game over event it links to another common event to teleport the player to whatever checkpoint is currently active and play a little dialogue event.

edit: I just noticed that my common event would revive any character that was already dead before the battle was entered. I'll have to change that.
edit2: Actually, no maybe it doesn't... since it reads the HP of the character that it had at the start of the battle. In any case, I dunno. Would have to test it some time.xD
The RPG Maker doesn't trigger a Game Over on the map, even if all characters are dead, unless one of the following event commands is executed:

- Change Party
- Change EXP
- Change Level
- Change Ability
- Change Skill
- Change Equipment
- Change HP
- Change MP
- Change Condition
- Full Recovery
- Take Damage

So, make sure none of these commands are executed (check parallel process events!) before at least one hero has been revived (of course, no Game Over is triggered if the command - even though it's in the list - is reviving a party member), then everything should work fine.

If you are not sure which event is "guilty" for triggering the Game Over, you can trace the executed event commands using the RM2k3 Debug Addon: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/8658/ - Press F3 right before the battle ends (when it shows the message that you lost) and let it trace all events. When the Game Over was triggered, press F3 again to stop tracing and then check the trace.log file for the last event commands executed.

But please ONLY use the debug addon for debugging, because it has a few bugs itself, so don't patch/replace your RPG_RT.exe but create a "RPG_RT_debug.exe" or something like that.
author=Cherry
The RPG Maker doesn't trigger a Game Over on the map, even if all characters are dead, unless one of the following event commands is executed:

- Change Party
- Change EXP
- Change Level
- Change Ability
- Change Skill
- Change Equipment
- Change HP
- Change MP
- Change Condition
- Full Recovery
- Take Damage

That's screwed up, btw. Why do they make it so you can't raise party members if everyone's dead?

Typical. I try to test for it, and it never happens. The gameover isn't the real issue anyway though. I coded around it pretty effectively.

Here's the real issue. I lost the battle due to it being a plot battle, and there's no way to tell it "no, you don't get this experience (these are normal enemies)." If it were a random battle, I could use the defeat event to do so. But this is an exhibition match and these are normal enemies. And for the battle graphic (that giant yin-yang leftover from my battle pictures). Oh, sure, I can code around it, making it set up some sort of event block (if ExpBlock is ON gets rid of the experience, and a common event kills the graphic). So, yes it does go away after a few seconds thanks to coding, but only after shutting it off for every single plot battle.

In other words, it's a common event that I have to activate manually, because there's no clear way into the part of the battle just after it ends. What would be preferable is being able to set a variable to 0 or 1 depending on your win/loss. And being able to turn a few switches ON/OFF after battle regardless of win/loss.

You can.

author=Cherry
(of course, no Game Over is triggered if the command - even though it's in the list - is reviving a party member)

However, if you do anything with one of these commands which does not revive at least on of the party members, it will trigger the Game Over (so be careful even with reviving, because attempting to revive a hero which is NOT in your party can also trigger the Game Over!).

The reason is that the RM designers didn't complete their thoughts on this one. They have a "check if everybody is dead and trigger Game Over in this case" check after any of these event commands has been processed. Normally, this would make perfect sense (well, not for all of the commands - why could changing EXP ever cause a Game Over? - but the reason is that most of them are handled by the same internal function and this function does the check at the end) if a dead party would be disallowed - but it seems like they didn't unambiguously specify that: On one hand, a dead party is considered disallowed becausing killing the last party member (e.g. using the Change HP command) or removing a party member and leaving only dead heroes in the party will trigger a Game Over (that's why this check is there). On the other hand, ending a battle with a dead party is allowed (and that's a good decision, otherwise event battles with a "defeat" handler wouldn't work).

This is why it's such a mess.

EDIT: In your case, just make sure "Change EXP" is done AFTER reviving somebody... because from what you said, this sounds like a potential culprit.
I think the issue is plugged, as far as I'm concerned.

And no, I haven't tested this yet. But if it works, I'd like to turn it into plugin.

It appears to work. The issue that Pepsi didn't address is that half the time, two party members die (rather than total defeat). So yes, this would be effective if it was for a gameover. But I'm actually working at the other end with non-gameover, trying to create effective game-balance in the process. So it needs to kill off enemies that are at zero (and because it's constant then, it can't risk the fact that character 2 had 1 hp at the end of the battle, being turned to 0).

Update: Yay, I've managed to redo the party experience/death events. Up until now, because it shut on and off, and there was no block for it if it was on, I had to have a big stinky parallel process event that lagged everything to hell. Things should be a bit less laggy now, since I instead made a switch common event. So now, I'm removing the old event to open up memory and speed things up.

Update: It turned out not to work with more than one party member. I'm reverting it.
Pages: 1