[POLL] DO YOU THINK RM2K/3 WILL EVER DIE OFF COMPLETELY?

Poll

Do you think RM2K/3 will ever die off completely? - Results

No!!!!!! long live the king.
22%
Probably not, there is always someone who will want it.
50%
After another maker comes out, most likly.
11%
Um, I thought it was already dead.
15%

Hah, well not exactly. I'll probably switch to VX Ace at some point when I actually end up buying it.

As for the graphics, because of my limited time I prefer lower resolution. It's easier and faster to make chipsets and panoramas this way. I also find certain charm in SNES-era RPGs. If I got more free time I'd definitely want to make something with higher resolution, but that's not the case...
As one of those people who haven't made the switch yet, what is preventing me from liking VX Ace is the way mapping is setup. You're limited to dumping all of your non-event tiles on one layer basically, so if you have to erase something in the top layer, the bottom layer gets erased too. It's wicked annoying because it's a step backwards from what you could do in 2k/3, and if I'm going to be spending a good 30% of the time mapping, it damn well better be more intuitive, not less.
Right-clicking on a tile to copy also copies both layers at once.

...but sometimes that is handy.

I guess you just get used to the way mapping works in VX Ace. It's a little slower, but it's not too bad. At least we have multiple tilesets now.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
rmxp 4 lyfe, best at mapping booyah

I would imagine that erasing both layers at once probably saves time as often as it costs time, though. It just takes a few hours to get used to it.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Yeah, 3 layers/better mapping would have sealed the deal for a lot more people in Ace, it would have made the need for parallax mapping go down a lot. Now hopefully in the next maker they listen to all of the feedback and finally add the 3 layer mapping.

I still enjoy opening up 2k3 every once in a while and do stuff just because making things in an engine that has limitations is very fun and appealing, and it helps me get the drive I need to work on my other projects~

edit:
Actually, it would be better if they ditched the grid-based mapping all together, and make the placement of tiles and such more organic, along with having 3+ layers.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I remember threads on Don Miguel's forum from 2000 and 2001 about how RPG Maker 95 was still "better" and "more pro" because there was inherent value in using a maker that had limitations and trying to work around them.

On the plus side, RPG Maker 95 has died off completely.
well, that is true in a sense.
Every now and then I boot up CRESTFALLEN (it was like the one rm95 game I played) for nostalgia's sake but then I die inside when I realize how primitive everything is.

Let's not forget Sim RPG Maker 95 too! Did anyone actually release a SRM95 game?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
As long as the 3-tile rule exists, Rm2k/3 will exist with it.
author=PepsiOtaku
Every now and then I boot up CRESTFALLEN (it was like the one rm95 game I played) for nostalgia's sake but then I die inside when I realize how primitive everything is.

Let's not forget Sim RPG Maker 95 too! Did anyone actually release a SRM95 game?
yes. We even added it as an engine here recently
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Of course 2k/3 will die off someday. Everything does eventually. ;P

Though given how strong a following they have even ten years later, it might not happen until no systems support them anymore, or using them becomes more trouble than it's worth.
While 2K(3) will most likely die off in the next few years or so, that doesn't mean it's taking away all the awesome games made in it. (Points to Hero's Realm and Alter A.I.L.A.)
I think the only way it will die off completely is if they remake another one just like RPG Maker 2003 like the same battle engine and other features.
^

Yeah, but then it would be so godly that no one would ever buy any of Enterbrain's other crap. ^_-

JUST GIVE ME 2k3 WITH SCRIPTING ABILITIES AND MORE THAN 256 COLORS WITH AUTOMATIC FULL SCREEN AND YOU HAVE YOURSELF AT LEAST $60!
i actually prefer rm2k <_< >_>
if it wasn't for more pictures and keys available, i'd never touch rm2k3. But meh, thanks to this topic i'll look into more modern makers.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Sated
Over my dead body...
Yeah, as long as I'm around it will never die.

And since I'm immortal it's not going anywhere.
author=0range00
i actually prefer rm2k <_< >_>

O_O

:D it's just the general feel of different systems. And i definitely prefer rm2k's battle system. There was a time when all i wanted was final fantasy style side-view battles, but after the initial amazement rm2k3's battle sys started to seem a litte "off". There's just something i can't quite put my finger on about the system that i don't like. Maybe it's got something to do with how it's really troublesome trying to sync battle animations and battle character movements. Maybe how the cursor never seems to quite point at the character you'd want. Battles even flow a lot slower than those in rm2k... Evem the default font is uglier.

i know there are ways around these issues, as i've seen many games that got no problems, but in my mind rm2k3 just seems off.

still i use it, because.. Well it's simply better engine. Especially if you want to make custom systems. :P if that makes any sense..
hell, let's just call it nostalgia value
Good enough reason.

I still use 2k3 mainly because of that good 'ol nostalgia. But even I admit that I've been working with it for way too long and I need a change. Once I finish these last couple of projects, I'll probably close up shop for good.