[POLL] DO YOU THINK RM2K/3 WILL EVER DIE OFF COMPLETELY?

Poll

Do you think RM2K/3 will ever die off completely? - Results

No!!!!!! long live the king.
22%
Probably not, there is always someone who will want it.
50%
After another maker comes out, most likly.
11%
Um, I thought it was already dead.
15%

Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Frankly if VX/Ace wasn't horrid at mapping (square autotiles and shadows? everything's damn autotiles?) and had the resources that I actually needed to pursue my game design ambitions, I would make the leap in a heartbeat to keep my story alive for as long as possible. Unfortunately, they put all their eggs in the omgCODE basket and decided to throw away everything that was good about earlier RPG Makers *cough* mapping *cough*.

And no, I shouldn't have to jump through more hoops that don't exist with RM2k/3 just to realize my dream, so piss off with your "shift mapping" and shadows.
I think that Ace is damn close to functionality of 2k3 - enough so that I made the switch. It does a lot of things I like out of the box like Traits (iirc called "Features") for almost all objects, and stuff like inherent counterattack abilities and the ability to make custom formulas for skills right in the database.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Nothing will ever DIE die, but I think rm2k3 has been running on nostalgia fumes for years. Even Ace feels extremely archaic to me because of its hard-coded resolution restrictions.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
People also seem to forget that there are some beautiful maps made in Ace, and that there exists alternative methods of mapping.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Adon237
People also seem to forget that there are some beautiful maps made in Ace, and that there exists alternative methods of mapping.

If there are alternatives, why aren't they used more often?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Because a lot of people are very lazy or not willing to put forth the effort to use those methods, or are not good immediately and give up.
Why not just convert 2k3 tilesets into VX Ace tilesets? Then you can get the look of 2k3.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
author=Sated
author=kentona
Why not just convert 2k3 tilesets into VX Ace tilesets? Then you can get the look of 2k3.
It's the mapping system itself, not the chapsets.

Dark Gaia seemed to have done it in a now disappeared Legionwood game which was made in VX, so I would think it's feasible to do so in Ace as well:

Not Legionwood 2

If I remember correctly, people gave him a hard time for doing so ...
author=Corfaisus
Frankly if VX/Ace wasn't horrid at mapping (square autotiles and shadows? everything's damn autotiles?) and had the resources that I actually needed to pursue my game design ambitions, I would make the leap in a heartbeat to keep my story alive for as long as possible. Unfortunately, they put all their eggs in the omgCODE basket and decided to throw away everything that was good about earlier RPG Makers *cough* mapping *cough*.

And no, I shouldn't have to jump through more hoops that don't exist with RM2k/3 just to realize my dream, so piss off with your "shift mapping" and shadows.

I agree with this. Even though I started with VX and Ace and will probably continue with it, I really don't understand why they remove so many features.

Also, if they added some sort of "blend" feature that the user can control, this would definitely help with the jarring look. Say you set a grass area down by water, you get an automatic sandy border that looks jarring and blocky. Now click the blend feature, run it along the edge of the sandy border, and have it sort of blend and then disappear into the grass.
author=Sated
author=kentona
It's the mapping system itself, not the chapsets.

The mapping system in Ace uses tilesets. And you have a lower layer, upper layer and events. What's the beef?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Autotiles are way more versatile than single tiles, I don't see how it's even possible to be upset about them. That's like being upset that there's more than one layer.
imho there are more hoops to jump through in RM2k3 than VX Ace at this point in time.
author=kentona
The mapping system in Ace uses tilesets. And you have a lower layer, upper layer and events. What's the beef?

In rm2k3, selecting a tile with the right-click of the mouse would only select the tile in the layer you're currently working on. Ace will select BOTH layers, making patching maps a pain in the ass, since you'll basically have to re-do a part from scratch...

Now, being able to select both layers is useful sometimes and rm2k3 allowed you to do this with dedicated select, copy and paste tools. The advantage of these is that auto-tiles wouldn't blend when using them, allowing you more flexibility while mapping. Ace will automatically blend auto-tiles, requiring you to use additional tiles if you want the effect of overlapping rooftops or something.

And on top of it, some auto-tiles will automatically generate shadows which you'll have to erase or redraw every time you make a change.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=kentona
imho there are more hoops to jump through in RM2k3 than VX Ace at this point in time.

I can promise you I couldn't make this or this or any of my other maps in VX/Ace and keep the functionality without having to jump through hoops, if it's even possible at all. Hell, I couldn't even make this while retaining its natural appearance. What I can make is this, which took no effort whatsoever and looks like every other game out there. The problem is that VX doesn't look natural at all, and the only way to stand out in any significant way is to copy-paste someone else's scripts into my game to customi- oh wait...

The newer makers are only great for people who have never put substantial time towards improving their work (got to ease in the newbies somehow, right?) or who are content with remaking Final Fantasy 1 (complacent). And I don't know about you, but I don't feel like making a game that looks like utter shit but can be coded to prove the existence of God.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Corfaisus
author=kentona
I can promise you I couldn't make this or this or any of my other maps in VX/Ace and keep the functionality without having to jump through hoops, if it's even possible at all. Hell, I couldn't even make this while retaining its natural appearance. What I can make is this, which took no effort whatsoever and looks like every other game out there. The problem is that VX doesn't look natural at all, and the only way to stand out in any significant way is to copy-paste someone else's scripts into my game to customi- oh wait...

The newer makers are only great for people who have never put substantial time towards improving their work (got to ease in the newbies somehow, right?) or who are content with remaking Final Fantasy 1 (complacent). And I don't know about you, but I don't feel like making a game that looks like utter shit but can be coded to prove the existence of God.
You've apparently never touched RMXP, whose mapping tools make 2k3 blush with envy. Once you've learned RGSS, it's impossible to ever go back to copy/pasting events and slapping together crude CBSes/CMSes with pictures. 2k/3 is only good for easing in newbies who have no drive toward improving their work.
Corfaisus
author=Sailerius
author=Corfaisus
author=kentona

You've apparently never touched RMXP, whose mapping tools make 2k3 blush with envy. Once you've learned RGSS, it's impossible to ever go back to copy/pasting events and slapping together crude CBSes/CMSes with pictures. 2k/3 is only good for easing in newbies who have no drive toward improving their work.

I actually appreciate XP as the last rpg maker to allow for the more traditional method of mapping. The only thing I felt held it back was the lack of a standard overworld tileset and vehicles, though these could obviously be fixed with compiling RTP graphics and messing around with the hero walk graphic and passability settings.
Why are some people being so emotional about this topic and consequently start blurting out bitchy gossip?

Face the truth: all engines have their flaws and which one you use doesn't matter in the end.
author=Corfaisus
author=kentona

Okay, you know that I am a competent mapper in 2k3, and I am telling you, I am not seeing anything in those maps that look hard to do in VX Ace.
author=alterego
author=kentona
In rm2k3, selecting a tile with the right-click of the mouse would only select the tile in the layer you're currently working on. Ace will select BOTH layers, making patching maps a pain in the ass, since you'll basically have to re-do a part from scratch...

Now, being able to select both layers is useful sometimes and rm2k3 allowed you to do this with dedicated select, copy and paste tools. The advantage of these is that auto-tiles wouldn't blend when using them, allowing you more flexibility while mapping. Ace will automatically blend auto-tiles, requiring you to use additional tiles if you want the effect of overlapping rooftops or something.

And on top of it, some auto-tiles will automatically generate shadows which you'll have to erase or redraw every time you make a change.
Hold down shift, and don't use "wall" tilesets? I dunno man, it sounds like you are just making excuses here.

Seriously, guys, you know that I am a hardcore 2k3 lover. VX Ace is better.