FAVORITE NES GAMES

Pages: first 12 next last
Been playing some classic NES games lately. Mega Man 3, Legacy of the Wizard. I was curious what other people consider to be their favorite NES games.
Super Mario Bros 3, Dragon Warrior 3, Dragon Warrior 4, RC Pro AM, Super Offroad, Super Mario Bros 2, Chip n' Dales Rescue Rangers, The Little Mermaid, Little Nemo, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Blade, Ice Hockey, Blades of Steel, Kid Icarus, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Adventure Island 2, Double Dragon, Duck Tales, Duck Tales 2, Super Dodgeball, Nintendo World Cup, Ninja Gaiden, Bionic Commando, Karnov, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game, Super Mario Bros., Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

This is just off the top of my head. Once I look up a list I'll probably have more.
I was born in '88 and my first console was a SNES, so unfortunately I missed out on the NES era.

I really like Blades of Steel, Jackal, and the Super Mario Bros games, though.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
Megaman 2
Kirby's Adventure
Super Mario Bros. 3
Legend of Zelda

If you didn't have these games, you didn't have a childhood.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Bubble Bobble is damn good. Surprisingly so. You would think its just pretty decent and okay looking at it, or playing it for the first time. But once you get hooked on it and actually look at the meat and potatoes that comprise it's design (and moreso on the arcade) its pretty genius.

Also, the NES version of Joust is pretty good. The sound effects are just quintessentially nintendo. I think the physics are a bit different too. I can't get more than 8 stages into it. Speaking of which Castlevania III is also a good game that's balls hard.

Ninja Gaiden I doesn't hold a candle to how much better II is. To me, its the only one.

The Legend of Zelda because huge awesome fantasy world with cool monsters, music, and all kinds of items.

I never played Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! when I was little, but that would be my new favorite if I could get my hands on it.

But over all the other games I've played, my absolute favorite is probably Gimmick! The version I'm thinking of is on the famicom though, so that might not count. BUT WHATEVER.
janussenpre
愛・おぼえていますか
Favorite NES Games (plural) eh?

-Final Fantasy 1 (no brainer)
-Destiny of an Emperor (great music)
-Dragon Warrior 2
-Super Mario Bros 3 (2 was alright. I loved playing as Princess Peach)
-Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (I must be in the minority here... along with Kentona)
-8 Eyes (I used to think this was so freaking hard)
-Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode (also a no brainer)
-Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout (this was pretty damn fun)
-Monster Party (also pretty damn fun)
author=Isrieri
Bubble Bobbleis damn good. Surprisingly so. You would think its just pretty decent and okay looking at it, or playing it for the first time. But once you get hooked on it and actually look at the meat and potatoes that comprise it's design (and moreso on the arcade) its pretty genius.

It's a good game, but damn does it get hard. I've never had the chance to play it 2 player though. And that's really how it's meant to be played.

author=Isrieri
But over all the other games I've played, my absolute favorite is probably Gimmick! The version I'm thinking of is on the famicom though, so that might not count. BUT WHATEVER.

I only became aware of this game recently. Haven't played it, but it look's interesting, and they really went all out with the music.
Super Mario Bros. 3

Such a classic. <3
The Mario games hold up surprisingly well. Maybe not the first Super Mario Bros. But 2 and 3 are definitely good games still. 3 might even be bloody excellent.

One game that is my nostalgia pick that probably does not hold up (I tried it on emulator some years back and it wasn't great) is Tecmo Cup Soccer which combines RPG and the beautiful game (football). I can probably trace my love for Football Management games to Tecmo Cup.

Snake Rattle 'n Roll is another game I remember fondly but I also remember it being essentially impossibly hard on like the third stage. But the first stage was a lot of fun eating balls that run around. If only the whole game had been like that and not precision jumping with ass-backwards controls.

I guess those are two that haven't been mentioned by others...

I also see kentona mentioning Power Blade. That game is pretty bad.
These are probably the ones that I tend to break out and play the most once and a while:

• Kirby’s Adventure
  • Zelda 2: The Adventure Of Link
  • Snow Brothers
  • Mega Man 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Duck Hunt
  • Mike Tyson’s Punch Out
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Contra
  • Batman

…So many good games. *drools*

Actually, seeing this thread makes me wanna bust out the ol’ grey box and play me some mutherf**kin’ Tecmo Bowl, the only Football game that I was ever good at because it was so easy to understand and play, even if you weren't a major sports junkie back then.
During childhood:
-Crystalis
-Double Dragon 2
-Dragon Warrior 3
-Kirby's Adventure
-Megaman 5 and 6
-River City Ransom
-Totally Rad

In later years:
-Bucky O' Hare
-Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
-Gyruss
-Megaman 3
-Ninja Gaiden 1, 2 and 3
-Sweet Home
I was the only kid in the neighborhood who had a Sega Master System and not a NES growing up, so I didn't end up getting a NES until much later in life.

Anyway...I dig Crystalis, Startropics, Deja Vu, Just Breed, Chaos World, Recca Summer Carnival, Villgust and Radia Senki. I also like the ridiculous visual novel/graphic adventures, particularly Bamboo Cutter's Tale, Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom...

...and (especially) Oishinbo.

The Famicom port of Ys 2 is surprisingly good!
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Mega Man 3, Blaster Master, and Kirby's Adventure are definitely my favorites.

The I find that the NES generally has a memorable library of games, both good and bad ones.
Metal Gear
Snakes Revenge
LoZ
Zelda II
Castlevania II
Crystalis
Dragon Quest I - IV
Final Fantasy I - III (thanks to translation ROMs)
Willow
Faxanadu
Battle of Olympus
Bionic Commando
Super Mario Bros I - III
Shadowgate
Golgo 13 and its sequel
Contra
Chip 'N Dale

Whew! Yeah, asking me to decide on one single game from this great system is like asking me to decide between a prime rib or filet mignon. I think I owned close to 100+ games for this at one time, more so than I've owned for any other console since.
Looks like Crystalis is on a lot of people's lists. I should check it out.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Dragon Warrior
Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: Link's Quest
Ninja Gaiden
Shadow Gate
Metroid
Mega Man
Blaster Master
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Duck Hunt (Played this for hours on end. Nobody could beat my mom...of course, she was just as good on a real shooting range so that might have had something to do with it!!!)
Afterburner
Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego
Double Dragon
Final Fantasy
author=nin8halos
Looks like Crystalis is on a lot of people's lists. I should check it out.

Check out the NES version, even if you have to resort to an emulator and ROM, which is much more superior to the remade GBC version.

The GBC version was terribly done since they altered the story, removed certain plot twists, fudged up the music (making it sound much more inferior) and even removed parts of the strategy (making the game easy instead of challenging).
Am I the only one who loved Super Dodgeball?
Rockman no Constancy, if rom hacks count. It's a flat out upgrade on Megaman 2, the levels and weapon bosses are overhauled, the difficulty was increased but its still fair, the MM2 rom hack rule of Bue Beam Trap being easier than the original version was upheld, and the new music (ripped from other games and converted into a Famicom 8-bit format) is mostly a solid upgrade on the original MM2 music. It isn't as technically impressive as Rockman 4: Minus Infinity but I find RnC funner in its simplicity too. Putting it on my DS flash cart was the kiss of death for my other games; I could play Pokemon or Radiant Historia but fuck it it's RNC time!

e: If I got a flash cart and NES emulator for my 3ds Bravely Default would probably be in trouble too~
Pages: first 12 next last