THIS LOOKS LIKE THIS COULD BE THE END FOR CAPCOM

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=UPRC
author=Tau
It's quite sad really, yeah they might not be the best company but Capcom have been essential to the gaming industry. They birthed a lot of series/genres since their inception & I would hate to see them go.
Here's hoping that they do indeed just get scooped up by a larger developer rather than being left to literally die like THQ and have their assets sold off to developers like hungry vultures.

The more I think about it, the more I want Nintendo to be the one to make the eventual move. Breath of Fire, Mega Man, Okami, Phoenix Wright, Street Fighter? They could all work amazingly well as pure exclusives for Nintendo. I think it would be a massive win-win situation.

*whimper*

Though... maybe we'd actually get a good Breath of Fire 6 and not the crap they currently have planned. :/

Thing is, would Nintendo be able to bring the charm of those series to life? Would they needlessly change things, take them where they don't need to go, innovate for the sake of saying they can? Would the love inherent in the creation of those titles still be there? I know they're good with some of their own series but the moment I see BoF/PW/Okami racing I am out.

I guess seeing them in Nintendo's hands would be better than seeing them in others'. Like Square, for example.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
The only reason I can't bring myself to dislike Capcom is because of Ace Attorney. Frankly, the series is much more dear to me than the company that created it, so I'm more worried about Ace Attorney dying off than Mega Man or Street Fighter. With the newest titles of Ace Attorney, Gyakuten Kenji 2 and Dual Destinies, Capcom showed that they were still capable of creating masterpieces, even though some of the decisions they made as a company were pretty crappy, so I'd hate to see them go, but if their days really are numbered, I think Nintendo would be able to continue the series the way it deserves to be continued. All Ace Attorney titles are on Nintendo consoles anyway, so at least for that series, Nintendo would be the logical choice.
Imo, the "charm" of a game mostly depends on game designer rather than IP. You can't really bring an IP back with just the rights to it. If it's a different game designer, the game will always feel different too.

Or do you think the modern "Shining" games feel more like Shining Force than Golden Sun does?
I wouldn't know. I've never played either (bar the first GS, but I didn't get far in it because it didn't really interest me).

By charm I mean quirky characters, not dumbing things down for audiences or cutting out humour that is considered too adult in other games. Nintendo has made it's name as a family friendly company and the aforementioned games have had darker aspects to their stories - it's part of the overall charm of the games that they can pull darkness with the bright cheery humour and double-entendres.
author=Liberty
I guess seeing them in Nintendo's hands would be better than seeing them in others'. Like Square, for example.

Or any of these guys:

God's breath, yes, or any of them.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I hope EA doesn't have there sights on Capcom. I can't imagine how they would ruin IPs with their DRM bullshit and lack of actual care for the games they release.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Honestly wouldn't mind if either Microsoft or Nintendo bought them out. Microsoft would be a good fit, they have an established relationship with them already & definitely have the money. I guess people would bring up Rare with all things considered but I don't really think people can't grasp the fact that they had plenty of chances to show they were just as good as the old days.

I mean they let rare make an original ip for the first Xbox which wasn't that great, the Conker remake, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Piñata, Banjo Nuts & Bolts but they still couldn't deliver on what they were once capable of. I don't get the whole "Microsoft killed Rare" thing, they gave them over 300 million to make games with and Rare never delivered.

Also Microsoft don't mind their developers working for Nintendo handhelds, just never Sony. Mistwalker made some 3DS games, Rare, just not Halo or anything.

Nintendo is well... Nintendo, they could use more third party games, though technically if they did buy Capcom they would be a first party developer.

Ubisoft or Bethesda though would be cool picks.
God, now that you've floated it a Bethesda Breath of Fire game would be interesting. Especially because they're all about lore.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
What sort of Robot Masters would Microsoft come up with? What would any developer aside from Inafune bring to the table artistically?
Ratty524
author=Isrieri
What sort of Robot Masters would Microsoft come up with? What would any developer aside from Inafune bring to the table artistically?

Probably these:
author=Isrieri
What sort of Robot Masters would Microsoft come up with?

• Halo Man
  • Watch Man
  • Grand Theft Man
  • Mass Man
  • Rare Man
  • Gears Man
  • Fallout Man
  • Titan Man

(Rare Man’s stage should start out all brilliant at the beginning and then deteriorates to shit as you get to the end, just like Rare.)
Ratty524
author=Addit
author=Isrieri
What sort of Robot Masters would Microsoft come up with?
  • Halo Man

• Watch Man

• Grand Theft Man

• Mass Man

• Rare Man

• Gears Man

• Fallout Man

• Titan Man

(Rare Man’s stage should start out all brilliant at the beginning and then deteriorates to shit as you get to the end, just like Rare.)

So about that "Like Button" feature, Kentona...
Meh, I'd say it serves them right. They killed off Mega Man. And Darkstalkers. But no one but me even cares about that.
Pages: first prev 12 last