QUESTION ABOUT RM2K EVENT PROBLEM

Pages: 1
I'm trying to make a switch that requires a player to push a pillar (or another object) onto it in order for the switch to activate, sort of like in the Zelda games. Anyone know how to do this?

Please respond ASAP, thanks guys!

Note: the switches and pillar are all events.

Pic:
Do you want the pillar to move automatically when you push the direction button, or do you want the player to have to press the decision key?

EDIT: Alright, I've got it. The only thing is, the switch needs to be a part of the chipset. I can't get the events to overlap, even though I checked the options for "Event Overlap" on the switch and pillar.

Anyways, this is what I did for the pillar (except I used a chair) and it worked great. It moved whenever you pressed the directional button towards it, and even better is that it actually looks like he's pushing it. I'm still trying to get it to go overtop a switch as an event, but I don't think it's possible (although I'm not experienced with RM2k). The Passage on the switch needs to be set to O.

Action command is what I've got it set at right now.
If you want the piller to move with the action key, then you should make the piller an event, then make four condition branches, each ones different for the direction the hero is facing, and depending on which was the heros facing the event should move a certain way, it should look like:

<>Branch if hero is facing up
<>Move event: "Piller" move up
<>
: End
<>Branch if hero is facing right
<>Move event: "Piller" move right
<>
<>Branch if hero is facing down
<>Move event: "Piller" move down
<>
<>Branch if hero is facing left
<>Move event: "Piller" move left
<>

I think this is what your looking for, and if i missed something or you need something different im sure someone else on the network can help
Oh, you wanted it for the action key? Well the pic I posted was if you pressed the directional button, but for action key I guess just use 'Push Key' for the Event Start condition.
author=FyreX link=topic=1676.msg26500#msg26500 date=1217996732
Anyways, this is what I did for the pillar (except I used a chair) and it worked great. It moved whenever you pressed the directional button towards it, and even better is that it actually looks like he's pushing it. I'm still trying to get it to go overtop a switch as an event, but I don't think it's possible (although I'm not experienced with RM2k). The Passage on the switch needs to be set to O.

why not just hit the event overlap botton on the events page?
Well, I tried that but for some strange reason the switch wouldn't allow the pillar to overlap. I tried setting the 'Allow Event Overlap' on both by themselves then both at the same time and neither seemed to work.
Event Overlap is a mistranslation. It causes other events to be unable to overlap it.

Also though, as for the moving it, it would be better to use a non-chipset graphic and set the position to same level as hero.

One more thing, in nearly every rm2k/rm2k3 game I see the boulder etc move puzzle put together in a easily glitchable way. The proper way to do it is to make a move event like this:

<>Move event: "Piller" reverse face hero, move forward {x} ignore if can't be moved

It will cause it to always go the right direction if there is nothing there, and to never move in random other directions after you walk away from it (the glitch I constantly see)

Also, for it detecting if it is pushed on the switch create a seperate parallel process event that tracks the pillars x and y coordinates to see if they equal the switch x and y coordinates.

Parallel Process Event
<> Variable Ch:(0224:x1)set, pillar x position
<> Variable Ch:(0225:y1)set, pillar y position
Fork Optn: Varbl(0224:x1)=57
Fork Optn: Varbl(0224:y1)=25
Change Switch: puzzle1done -On set
author=GameOverGames Productions link=topic=1676.msg26507#msg26507 date=1218000637
Event Overlap is a mistranslation. It causes other events to be unable to overlap it.

...That would explain my problem. I'm an idiot.
Thanks a lot you guys! This is great. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions, but I'm glad I was pointed to this forum. The info about the parallel process was perfect and exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help, everybody.

I'm sure I'll have more questions eventually, so it's nice to know I can get some timely responses if I need them. Thanks again!
Pages: 1