DO YOU THINK ENTERBRAIN HAS ANY PLANS TO RELEASE A 3D PC RPG MAKER

Pages: first 12 next last
Hello! I was just recently looking through a list of all the RPG Makers. Outside of the fact that I noticed that there are way more then probably anyone though there were, I noticed the RPG Maker 3 for PS2 was among the most unique ones. Its the only one to have 3D graphics. I'm almost sure a few more games in the series have 3D graphics but it got me thinking, will Enterbrain release a PC RPG Maker with 3D graphics. I'm sure they well a some point, but I'm curious to see how long it would take. If it were to be released in the near future, I would expect it to run along side VX/Ace, with resource packs being released for both engines. What do you guys think about this?
Nope. Probably not.

They have the market cornered on 2D so why would they ever give that up? There are many more engines out there that focus on 3D imagery.

And quite frankly? I'd much rather they didn't, either. I love that they choose to use 2D as their base because it's much more easy to have a game style all its own instead of having to work super harder on doing the same with 3D. And people who use 3D tend to want to go realistic in style which is just ugh. It loses the charm and stylised look of the game, making it like every other game out there that uses 3D.

Also, editing 3D is hard as balls. RM is supposed to be an engine that you can pick up and play with - and that includes editing the graphics. They're easy to edit so that they look different and that's a big part of what makes the series a huge success.
unity
You're magical to me.
I doubt it, as their most successful stuff is all 2D. I could be wrong, though. And it's certainly possible someone else could make one.
Believe me, I own RPG Maker 3... The only thing unique about it is that it's absolute shit to develop with.

The reason RPG Maker has stayed 2D is because it's an entry level toolkit for game design. 2D graphics are easier to make and develop with, and getting into 3D would serve no purpose, because Unity and Unreal practically own that market in terms of indie game design.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Pizza
Believe me, I own RPG Maker 3... The only thing unique about it is that it's absolute shit to develop with.

I used to have it, too. I was so excited when it came out that I even bought a USB keyboard for the PS2 so I could enter dialog in a way that was less painful. But the maker was so disappointing to me and hard to make games with -_-
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs

This is pretty much the best game on RPG Maker 3.

Anyway, I think Enterbrain currently has their efforts on an RPG Maker that can make mobile games. I don't think they're even thinking about a 3D rpg maker.
author=Ratty524
Anyway, I think Enterbrain currently has their efforts on an RPG Maker that can make mobile games.
yes plz
I bet with Unreal Engine 4 going free, its just another nail on the coffin of a 3D RPG Maker. I'm not really that sad since I prefer 2D games and their easier to develop. Going mobile would actually make a lot more sense.
They'd still have tough competition in the mobile market though. Construct 2 and Stencyl come to mind, and I believe you can just as easily use Unity or the like for 2D mobile games.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Ratty524
Anyway, I think Enterbrain currently has their efforts on an RPG Maker that can make mobile games.

I'm... okay with that. Really okay with that.
3D RPGMaker? Nope. On mobile? Hell yes. Do you have idea how large an audience we could reach? *gazes away dreamily into space*

Oh, happy birthday, Nova. XD
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
*Gasp* You remembered?! Thanks!!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I've read articles saying they were making this that and the other, 3D, Tactics, but the only thing I've ever seen that's certain is that they're making one for mobile.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
It'd be pretty sweet if Enterbrain released a Unity or Unreal plugin that had the same easy-to-use database management and battle systems and scripting capability that VXA has. Then they wouldn't have to worry about writing 3D renderers or things like that, and they could hook into all of the premade components... but that'd still be a really big project.
author=slash
It'd be pretty sweet if Enterbrain released a Unity or Unreal plugin that had the same easy-to-use database management and battle systems and scripting capability that VXA has. Then they wouldn't have to worry about writing 3D renderers or things like that, and they could hook into all of the premade components... but that'd still be a really big project.

I would LOVE that. That would be super helpful. :o
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yeah, I'd spend more time on Unity with something like that.
Yeah... but Enterbrain has no connection to either program so... not likely to ever happen. ;p
Anything is possible.
I once stumbled across a 3D building software called Unreal development kit.
I'd bet if Enterbrain ever did make a 3d rpg maker in true RPG Maker fashion they'd drop some other essential feature. Like being able to render any 2d elements including text. All text characters are now full 3d models is totally something I could see Enterbrain fucking up.
author=GreatRedSpirit
I'd bet if Enterbrain ever did make a 3d rpg maker in true RPG Maker fashion they'd drop some other essential feature. Like being able to render any 2d elements including text. All text characters are now full 3d models is totally something I could see Enterbrain fucking up.

you know Castlevania: Symphony of the night is actually 3d right

also

rpg maker 3 for ps2... idk, for me that game, that engine is just beautiful
the soundtrack is amazing, I love the sepia tones of the characters and environments, I love how wide and empty spaces can be, I don't know. It's clunky and horrible in a way, yes, but I love it and it's a waste of awesome graphics and music, that should be used in something else.

I really

love those graphics and music
Pages: first 12 next last