THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=nhubi
Kory how about games that are already in production

I thought about this already. Put a time limit on submissions for this engine. (ie. Must submit for it before January 1, 2016.)

author=nhubi
all someone has to do is choose the RM2K3 option rather than the RT2K3 when they create their gamepage.

I know people will do this, but some of them will be found out and should have their game pages removed and be banned for a period of time.

_____

I'm just really into supporting Enterbrain and I don't think it's okay for people to use the illegal version of the engine when they can purchase a legal one now.

author=Blindmind
Nessiah, whatever our disagreement in the other topic, I seriously complement you for overseeing this project to completion. xD It must have taken a lot of time, dedication, and love for the engine.

I just saw this reply, but lool Blindmind, I wasn't serious about it. Don't worry about it ;D

It'snotlikeIdidn'tuseripsbefore.
@kory
How about... no? You do your thing and let others do theirs without preaching about right and wrong.

author=eh
I'm just really into supporting Enterbrain and I don't think it's okay for people to use the illegal version of the engine when they can purchase a legal one now.
Yeah, because that stops everyone from pirating the legal version or streaming movies or pirating games. Fact of the matter is, we don't support sharing links to pirated versions but currently we have no issue with people using them. If that will change in the future, I don't know, but I very much doubt it, considering that if we were to do that we'd also have to call a ban on rips of all types - music, sound effects, graphics... fan games...

Not gonna happen, dude. Get past it.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
*tips fedora to nessiah*
Does this mean more Rainbow Nightmare?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I'd expect that game to be the first one to go up for sale.
I've been a lurker here for some time, but this announcement is what finally convinced me to register. I received an e-mail yesterday from Steam informing me that a legal, translated version of RM2K3 was up for sale. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Congratulations to Cherry and Archeia for this achievement. I've been using VX Ace for some time now but this release is strongly tempting me to "go back to the old school". I started out using RM2K back in 2001, so like many others here I have something of an emotional attachment to the early iterations of the engine.

Once again, hats off to all involved!
author=Benjo
I've been a lurker here for some time, but this announcement is what finally convinced me to register. I received an e-mail yesterday from Steam informing me that a legal, translated version of RM2K3 was up for sale. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Congratulations to Cherry and Archeia for this achievement. I've been using VX Ace for some time now but this release is strongly tempting me to "go back to the old school". I started out using RM2K back in 2001, so like many others here I have something of an emotional attachment to the early iterations of the engine.

Once again, hats off to all involved!

Same here, lol. I've been trying to make a game for kicks in Rm2k for a while to relive childhood, but was having many problems, plus nobody uses it anymore for obvious reasons and Ace was just too different and much more complex. RPG2003 getting an official release gave me back my motivation and it is actually something I can handle.

Registering here too, at first I was hesitant because since almost everybody has moved to Ace and it's much more complete tools, so Rm2k would obviously be a dead relic.

Also... having a good translation and properly functioning Help File. May not seem much at first, but god it really makes things easier if you're a newbie.
author=Aoleorz
...almost everybody has moved to Ace and it's much more complete tools, so Rm2k would obviously be a dead relic.

I only use VX Ace for its graphical capabilities -- I'm fond of smooth textures and anti-aliasing, which are barely possible in RM2K3 because of the lower resolution. Other than that, I don't find 2k3 and VXA to be all that dissimilar.

Even so, I can understand why those comfortable with 2K and 2K3 may be daunted by the prospect of building a game in Ace. That is why, as you say, the release of this belated localisation is such an important event.
@bulmabriefs144: Thanks for the list, but most of it won't be done... the reason is that we don't have the 2k3 source code, and it takes a long time to some of these things in patches... time I can't bill them because they wouldn't consider it worth the money. And of course, the custom title will be optional. About legality: I can't just create stuff I like and bill it to them without having the order to do so. And I have very very limited, and it already took several night shifts with ~2 hours sleep to meet this deadline for 1.10 (and I didn't even get all the planned fixes in this version).About Non-Steam: I have a guess (which I was unable to confirm yet). I was worried about protection mechanisms breaking my hacks (because they really... hackish at some points). I was pleasantly surprised that the Steam version worked about (apart from that DEP issue), but I was never sure whether the other protection they use for Non-Steam versions would work here.

@Joseph Seraph: Do you have any suggestions about how the formula should be modified and why?

@J-Man: You can copy event commands from a BE to a CE and vice-versa. This is useful because in 2k3, you have a "call common event" feature in BEs which was kind of limited because you couldn't access any enemy/battle-only stuff in a CE. Now you can, but it's still a bit of a hack because you can't modify such commands in a CE (you would have to copy them back to a BE in order to modify them).

@Mason_Wheeler: Some things were done by calling code in the external DLL I wrote. And in the case of the fullscreen, it's rather simple: Until now, the window was strecthed to cover the whole screen (without borders) but then DirectDraw was used on top and the resolution was changed. Now, I just make it draw the game as usually, inside the (screen-covering and borderless) window, but with a few changes in the rectangle used to draw it (so aspect ratio can be fixed). The new interpolation settings works by just changing a flag which is passed to Windows' stretch-draw function.

@Craze: I disagree. Basically, we all (as Liberty said) used a software for free which was not intended to be free, essentially stealing money which could have been used to pay people to improve the software. I know that there was no official version available until now, though, and this is probably one of the reasons why nobody will go after us now. However, "if you want an ancient piece of software, buy it. if not, don't." doesn't really apply here, because in a way, most of the 2k3 users are owing money. And if it was just about the money, Enterbrain could have taken the opportunity (seeing all those non-JP 2k3 users) a lot sooner. --- My two cents.

@PepsiOtaku: Thanks for the catch! I will get this fixed.

@Corfasius: Chessy :O Worst Shipname Ever.

@nhubi: About Alt+Tab: You are right, I will fix this. About boxed borders: I assume you mean black areas left and right of the game screen? OK, are you telling me that you would rather have the game stretched and have all characters look like somebody punched them on their head with a hammer? I always considered this an error/problem (and there were many complaints about this), that's what it was changed. Or did I misunderstand you there?

@Pittmann2011: That indeed sounds like the "Show title screen" option being off, however I updated this so that it should now be on by default. Did you ever had any RM2k3 version installed previously?

EDIT: Hm, the game installer creation seems to be Steam-related. We'll fix it soon. Also it seems like the Steam version doesn't have some settings set up correctly, which means the "open r3proj file from Windows Explorer" doesn't work, the "show title screen" setting is not enabled by default as it should be and the project directory is not in "My documents" as the changelog says.
So I got one important question about this new update...

Do I have the buy the engine itself to start playing the 1.10 made games or will there be a RTP available just to play the games specifically without needing the engine?
@nhubi: About Alt+Tab: You are right, I will fix this. About boxed borders: I assume you mean black areas left and right of the game screen? OK, are you telling me that you would rather have the game stretched and have all characters look like somebody punched them on their head with a hammer? I always considered this an error/problem (and there were many complaints about this), that's what it was changed. Or did I misunderstand you there?

No, it's like PepsiOtaku and I and Corfaisus have pointed out - the outer 20px or so on the left and right are cut off on the sides completely while in fullscreen mode.

I think Pepsi made a screencap of it.
As of right now, you need to buy the steam version for the RTP. But we'll have a non-steam version soon!
Thanks for the quick response. I just don't see myself building any games anytime soon, but would just love to play with user's creations instead.
I remember that in 1.08 version was big problem with link to event command battle. I used to write about this in polish RM forum: here. I don't see info about this in changelog, so I don't know that this is repair.

Short translate:
Two hero in battle, commands: attack, skills, defend, special (event).
I chose 1 hero. I chose skills and cancel, I chose special (event). Is good.
After, 2 hero. I chose something (for example attack) - and there is bug. Battle do command event from 1 hero twice, and my attack is ignored.
After, 1 hero. I chose something. Battle do attack which be before ignored.

When new rm2k3 will be avaiable in official site? I must buy this.
author=Dragon_Kamillo
I remember that in 1.08 version was big problem with link to event command battle. I used to write about this in polish RM forum: here. I don't see info about this in changelog, so I don't know that this is repair.

Short translate:
Two hero in battle, commands: attack, skills, defend, special (event).
I chose 1 hero. I chose skills and cancel, I chose special (event). Is good.
After, 2 hero. I chose something (for example attack) - and there is bug. Battle do command event from 1 hero twice, and my attack is ignored.
After, 1 hero. I chose something. Battle do attack which be before ignored.

When new rm2k3 will be avaiable in official site? I must buy this.

probably not for a few weeks at the earliest, if other product release timelines are any indication.
author=kentona
No, it's like PepsiOtaku and I and Corfaisus have pointed out - the outer 20px or so on the left and right are cut off on the sides completely while in fullscreen mode.

I think Pepsi made a screencap of it.

Here I made my own illustrating the cutoffs:

The old Rm2k3 (RT2k3) in fullscreen mode:

The new RM2k3 fullscreen:

Can you see that the outsides of the new rendering are cutoff?
Kentona: you try set resolution on multiple 320x240. New rendering make uneven pixsels etc in full screen if screen resolution is another than 320x240, 640x480, 960x720, 1280x960.
author=Cherry
@bulmabriefs144: Thanks for the list, but most of it won't be done... the reason is that we don't have the 2k3 source code, and it takes a long time to some of these things in patches... time I can't bill them because they wouldn't consider it worth the money. And of course, the custom title will be optional. About legality: I can't just create stuff I like and bill it to them without having the order to do so. And I have very very limited, and it already took several night shifts with ~2 hours sleep to meet this deadline for 1.10 (and I didn't even get all the planned fixes in this version). About Non-Steam: I have a guess (which I was unable to confirm yet). I was worried about protection mechanisms breaking my hacks (because they really... hackish at some points). I was pleasantly surprised that the Steam version worked about (apart from that DEP issue), but I was never sure whether the other protection they use for Non-Steam versions would work here.

Fair enough. Anything you can do is appreciated. If they allow any little touches (possibly with authorization and/or possibly off the clock) later, this is great. For now, getting the thing up and running, and put the other stuff on a list of "someday if Enterbrain gives me time and creative freedom these (and some things that you might want) could go in" and concentrate on doing what you gotta. Ask them if you can add new buttons later or something, and work on the assigned now.

author=Cherry
This version is 1.10, which has been a bit tweaked and tuned by us:
* The fullscreen work properly, also on newer devices.
* The event editor was changed a lot:
** Its look and labels have been aligned with RMVXA - with colors and partly more information in the list than previously.
** It has a horizontal scrollbar, can copy events as text and loads large events faster.
** It's possible to copy event all commands between battle events and map/common events (although it will show a warning, because they still can't be modified while being in the "wrong" place).
* The help file now also works on Windows Vista/7/8.
* Maps can't get lost that easily anymore when a PC Cleaner is used.
* Multiple instances can be opened at the same time, and you can create direct shortcuts to projects in Windows Explorer.
* Battles go faster.
* You have 1000 pictures, 100 labels and 9999 switches/variables/etc.
* Picture commands also work while a message is displayed.
* The fonts are now directly integrated into the engine and don't need to be installed by the player.

You said not all are done so far. Which ones currently work?

In terms of the Steam thing, I'm pretty much getting an infinite loop redirect, where I'm in support and any question I have "goto customer support." As it is, I can't log in to my account, and I seem to need to in order send the code to myself. I need the code in order to log in... =_=;

Hopefully everything from my old games will work fine. Oh, yeah. I have patches to the game RTP (David, PicsInBattle, BetterAEP, and the special save thing), will this stuff work?

Oh, yeah (again). If the engine is legal, does that make the games with the default graphics/music legal to sell now, provided it is the real RpgMaker? Not that anything I have qualifies (I used charas project and vgmusic).
@kentona: Hm, I thought that the screencap was about just being stretched wrongly, I didn't realize that this would actually cut things off. I will fix it.

@bulmabriefs144: No, in this list everything works (more or less, as the fullscreen issue shows). But there is another internal list which is far longer.