THE OFFICIAL ENGLISH 2K3 VERSION IS OUT!

I found this in Battle Formula page of the help file. This in particular looked new. Someone care to explain? Thanks.

· The formula for the effect of a skill is:

R = B + (A-D/2) * H/20 + (I-J/2) * M/40

R: Result

B: Basic Effect

H: Hit Chance

M: Mind Chance

A: ATK of attacker

D: DEF of target

I: INT of attacker

J: INT of target

This also didn't make sense with this also being in the battle formula:

Effect = Base effect + (A's attack x Physical Rate / 20) + (A's mind x Magical Rate / 40)
Guard: What do you mean, the stat "Guard" does nothing? Defense? But Defense is in the damage formula, I thought
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
shoob, it's literally the exact same thing. "hit chance"/"mind chance" are just the influence settings in the skill tab. It's part of the reason why INT feels so shitty in a lot of games, because even at full 10/10 magic influence your stat is cut by a fourth. I wrote a guide on a simple workaround. http://rpgmaker.net/articles/371/

iishenron
Ported The Queen's Court over to legit 2k3 and not looking back.

Good show.

duuude

Neophyte
Craze
next thing we know neophyte will post in this topic

wow i miss neophyte
I miss you, too.

(kinda difficult when you run your own business now)

duuuuuuude
author=Cherry
Guard: What do you mean, the stat "Guard" does nothing? Defense? But Defense is in the damage formula, I thought

I'm going to mention at this point that I've never actually built anything in 2k3 before, just going based on what I've heard elsewhere. This is specifically in reference to one game that was made in 2k3:
Alter A.I.L.A. uses the default battle system and whatnot, and yeah, the stat labeled "Guard," which I assume is supposed to be Defense, does nothing. This is easiest to notice when using the Demon King Cradle, which raises Attack but greatly reduces Guard (in the original; the remake changed it to reducing Speed due to this bug).
ok I will check it.
Has anyone played any of the 1.08 games to see if they're fully compatible?
You can import them fine, but patches that were built for 1.08 (DynRPG, etc) are not compatible.
author=Shoobinator
I found this in Battle Formula page of the help file. This in particular looked new. Someone care to explain? Thanks.

· The formula for the effect of a skill is:

R: Result

B: Basic Effect

H: Hit Chance

M: Mind Chance

A: ATK of attacker

D: DEF of target

I: INT of attacker

J: INT of target

This also didn't make sense with this also being in the battle formula:

Effect = Base effect + (A's attack x Physical Rate / 20) + (A's mind x Magical Rate / 40)

Argh. I told Archeia she can include parts of the "Tips & Tricks" section of RPG Maker 2009 Ultimate in the 2k3 helpfile if it's not already there, e.g. the feature that F4/F5 will go to next/previous item in database and switch/variable selection.

But I didn't realize that this formula would be copied additionally, and that the naming convention would be wrong (hit chance, mind chance). Furthermore, I was not aware the defense seems to have no effect in a skill anymore...?! I need to check this, and improve it if needed...

Cherry: Check Craze's 2k3's number guide he posted above (or linked here). The correct 2k3 damage algorithms are there:

Craze's article
Weapon Damage: (Attacker's ATK / 2) - (Target's DEF / 4)

Weapon Skill Damage: Base Damage + (Attacker's ATK / 20 * ATK Influence) - (Target's DEF / 40 * ATK Influence)

Magic Skill Damage: Base Damage + (Attacker's INT / 40 * INT Influence) - (Target's INT / 80 * INT Influence)
Target def/int is still a factor. The huge denominators on the stats makes their effect pretty weak though (and a reason why increasing the caps on attribute's damage multiplier is helpful, you can get the 1600% on magical skills to offset the /40,/80 and make the int stat not garbage)
Ah! OK I see.

Still, if I understand this correctly, the DEF's main influence is gone for skills. Is there any logical reason (maybe physical vs magical)? Should I bring it back in the formula?
A skill at attack influence 10 (the max) becomes the regular weapon damage algorithm + base damage (min 1). At attack influence zero the user's attack and target's defense has no effect at all. It really should belong in the documentation (although since a skill can have both attack and magic influence combining the two is the most 'correct')

Something like:

Skill Damage = Base Damage +
[(User's ATK * ATK Influence / 20) - (Target's DEF * ATK Influence / 40)] +
[(User's MAG * MAG Influence / 40) - (Target's MAG * MAG Influence / 80)]

should cover the base damage calculation before variance and elemental/attribute multipliers (I'm at work so I can't see what the official localization terms are)

e: Each bracket calculation for atk/mag have a minimum value of 0 too which isn't described in my formula but hopefully is self evident so Iron Golem doesn't recover when you smack him with your bindle due to the atk/def disparity.
As someone who bought the offical japanese version years ago, BOXED I have had years to mess with it, but some things about it irk me to no end.
The main things irking me are the 256color limit, and being forced to us an ATB, as well as no way to do custom fonts, and no way to use custom icons ... actually there are quite a few things irking me.
No loop points for MP3s bugs me to.
2K3 is that sort of engine where.. it's okay.. but for something truly professional, I feel better of using XP or Ace.

I went back to using 2K3 recently after buying the english version on steam, just to find myself getting pissed immensely at the limits in color use and no way to do alpha blending.
And it mainly bugs me with tile sets I think.
Shame we can't see upgrades to this engine over time, but according to folks over at RPGMAKERWEB, that's not likely and patches and mods are not allowed... which is BS to me.
on the other hand, I have never used an engine as approachable as RM2k/3. It's still a great engine to get your feet wet.
No, their is no "on the other hand"not for me personally anyhow.
Sadly I may just keep using ACE until the next one comes along, and I hope it ends up being what I am looking for, and if not.. there is always RPG20XX being worked on.
2K3 would need a lot of enhancements for me to wanna a jump back to using it, as creatively I feel held back in what ever I make.
I'd like to add some more to the RM2k3 Damage Formula discussion because this is one of the things I would very much like in the official English release:

• Some way to at least modify the denominators in the damage formula (as opposed to outrage changing the entire formulas)

With the super high denominators in the current damage formulas and the way that integer division works, it is usless to raise a certain stat by a value that is less than the corresponding denominator in the damage formula. For example, basic attacks deal (Attacker's ATK / 2) - (Target's DEF / 4) in damage, so if you are raising stats slowly, there will be no difference until you reach a total benchmark increase of at least 4 DEF. This becomes even worse when you consider the defensive properties of INT and how it would have to increase in 8 point increments to just block a paltry 1 damage (when the INT influence of the skill is 10). Craze's guide helps remedy this to some extent but the integer division issue as I've described here is still present.

Thanks to a quick patch from bugmenot a while back, I have been able to change the basic attack damage formula for RM2k3 v1.08 to (2*Attacker's ATK - Target's DEF), as well as reducing the denominators of the other forumlas simultaneously.

Hopefully, basic remedies such as these will be allowed in future updates to the official English release.

=====================================================================================================

By the way, here are a couple other things about the skill damage formula if it was not clear to some people (how it works in RM2k3 v1.08 anyways):

(I was going to quote GreatRedSpirit from right above but I don't know how to get brackets to show up on this site for the life of me lol.)

• If a skill has an ATK influence greater than 0, that skill will be affected by the target’s DEF. If a skill has an INT influence greater than 0, that skill will be affected by the target’s INT. A skill with both an ATK influence AND INT influence greater than 0 will be affected by the target's DEF and INT.
  • (For example, a skill with high ATK influence and low INT influence may do 0 damage versus an enemy with lower DEF but very high INT. Basically, it currently works how GreatRedSpirit didn't describe it. The two parts of the formula mix in a sense, but damage dealt can never go below 0 (heal the target).)
  • A skill that “ignores defense” (using the checkbox option for a skill) ignores target DEF and target INT in calculations.

=====================================================================================================

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how, yeah, this formula looks like the skill formula that many of us have seen before, but there seem to be extra "divide by 2's" thrown in there?

This is probably not accurate for RM2k3 anyways if it was pulled from RPG Maker 2009 Ultimate.
author=MarkusT
No, their is no "on the other hand"not for me personally anyhow.
Sadly I may just keep using ACE until the next one comes along, and I hope it ends up being what I am looking for, and if not.. there is always RPG20XX being worked on.
2K3 would need a lot of enhancements for me to wanna a jump back to using it, as creatively I feel held back in what ever I make.

The only time I had issues with the colour limit was when creating lighting images (which was easily rectified by overlaying images with each other) or editing images that some idiot had set to over 256 colours (that's what iDraw is for~). Otherwise, image-wise, it's great for that authentic SNES feel.
Any chance that the features of the Disharmony patch will be integrated into the new release at some point?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
And this is why it would have been great for the runtime to be open-source. None of this silly cloak and daggers game with bug fixes, algorithms, and so forth. Anyone who's done serious game dev knows the magic is in the tools, not the engine.
Thank you very much Cherry and all people involve in this to make it reality.

And for future patches I would like to show pictures by a dynamic ID (store in variable), and if it's possible, load an image by a dynamic name.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Cherry: Check Craze's 2k3's number guide he posted above (or linked here). The correct 2k3 damage algorithms are there:

Craze's article
Weapon Damage: (Attacker's ATK / 2) - (Target's DEF / 4)

Weapon Skill Damage: Base Damage + (Attacker's ATK / 20 * ATK Influence) - (Target's DEF / 40 * ATK Influence)

Magic Skill Damage: Base Damage + (Attacker's INT / 40 * INT Influence) - (Target's INT / 80 * INT Influence)

Target def/int is still a factor. The huge denominators on the stats makes their effect pretty weak though (and a reason why increasing the caps on attribute's damage multiplier is helpful, you can get the 1600% on magical skills to offset the /40,/80 and make the int stat not garbage)

Having a 1:10 revalue would make all stats not garbage. Removing the multiplier from that end would be better.

60/40x3 (for atk inf 3) is 4.5
60x3/40 is also 4.5, assuming my math is right.
But that's only assuming the computer gets order of operations right. If there was parentheses, (60)/(40x3) is 60/120 or .5 while (60x3)/40 is still 4.5, and tweaking the values is easier to work. In actual fact, the influence being there makes absolutely no sense, because it forces the code to be written a certain way. For that matter, (60x3)/4 (remember 1:10 revalue) is 45 influence difference. That's incredibly significant.