SPORE

Pages: first prev 123 next last
The anti-spore page is a fake. However these other issues with Spore are not.

When the Spore-DRM thing floated to the top I started noticing. I wasn't going to get the game until my computer was back up and proper but as I see it right now I will never get the game. (Except possibly pirated of course)
I never had issues with the DRM. Three game installs? There's only two computers I'd install it on (if I cared for the game) and activation which several other games use. It sucks when a large profile game like Spore is released the activation servers are going to be bogged down, but problems with a game's first release isn't exactly news. I've heard of more issues with getting the game installed, bugs that make the game unplayable, installs being tied to only one account, and gameplay issues.

It'd be nice if people rated games based on its gameplay and not stupid sentiments like "zomg DRM!". Then again DRM doesn't actually mean shit except to piss off paying customers. Spore's DRM was cracked about three days after it was released in Australia.
I'm okay with the protests because even though I like the game, I'm against DRM (even though I've found this particular instance fairly unobtrusive so far, the whole concept of artificially crippling a product and thus making illegal versions of the same thing a better value than the legal product strikes me as at least borderline evil), and using a high-profile product review space to do it is a perfectly legitimate way to send that message. The way you change corporate policy is not by changing laws, it's by making it economically infeasible for them to continue doing things that piss off their customers. It seems like an inalienable right for consumers. And consumer rights should always be more important than corporate rights.

The Amazon Review Bomb, as it were, is striking at one of the most lucrative means for the company to get the word out to people who are on the fence, and maybe some day EA will get the message....even though they've already come out and said that they haven't learned anything this time.
Hahah the Amazon review bomb is incredible. This is the power of angry nerds!

But seriously Securom is really stupid.
It is, but Securom has been out longer than Spore and nothing else has generated this kind of shitstorm before.

I wouldn't mind if the reviews did something about DRM, but I'm not holding my breath. The Mass Effect/Spore initial DRM outcry changed how the DRM was handled, but it'd take something huge (bigger than nerdrage) to get them to drop DRM.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=1860.msg30717#msg30717 date=1221080508
It is, but Securom has been out longer than Spore and nothing else has generated this kind of shitstorm before.

I wouldn't mind if the reviews did something about DRM, but I'm not holding my breath. The Mass Effect/Spore initial DRM outcry changed how the DRM was handled, but it'd take something huge (bigger than nerdrage) to get them to drop DRM.
Something like no one buying the game, or sales being hammered hard because one of the most major online retail outlets gives it an average review score of about -5?

Spore's still going to sell well, but if it were a game with less inertia keeping it going, that review bomb would be huge, and might very well make a company drop the policy that makes consumers so angry.
Spore's going to sell too damn well, and a bunch of user reviews on Amazon aren't going to change that. Spore has far too mcuh hype behind it and official reviews are rating it much higher than 1/5.

It'll have some impact, but it'll be far from enough to make anyone set on using DRM to forsake it. If it was a game small enough for it to have an impact, there wouldn't be such a shitstorm over it. See any game that used similar or worse DRM methods.
I was actually going to buy (I know, crazy huh?) Spore until I heard it was coming with the nicely packaged DRM. Still a shitty game anyway, where the only fun is making stupid penis monsters and unicorn raptors with tophats. It's a sandbox without the sand.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Darken link=topic=1860.msg30846#msg30846 date=1221129756
I was actually going to buy (I know, crazy huh?) Spore until I heard it was coming with the nicely packaged DRM. Still a shitty game anyway, where the only fun is making stupid penis monsters and unicorn raptors with tophats. It's a sandbox without the sand.

Penis monsters? Abley's gonna be all over this game.
I have 1 thing to say about that DRM thing. It's a lie, about Spore I mean, just Spore. I have installed Spore on 3 computers, and I had to re-indtall it on one due to accidentally installing it to a portable drive. 4 activations input. 4 different drives. No problems.

I agree with GRS that a game should be rated on gameplay and not a stupid DRM. Spore earns a 4.5 outta 5 from me just because I enjoy making things and I think gameplay is rather fun. I do admit though that on all the files I made, only 2 of them I decided to leave the creature stage. The only thing I see wrong is that no matter what you do, all the attacks of vehicles look the same in the civ stage.

So now I wonder, why on earth does this DRM make so many bad reviews that lead to 1 star total rating? I bet half those DRM nuts dont even HAVE 3 comps to install it on but it doesnt matter cause I think the DRM is a lie anyway, either that or I'm just a super lucky guy and the fourth install was a fluke, but I dont really care which.
author=Quiversee link=topic=1860.msg31002#msg31002 date=1221185028
I have 1 thing to say about that DRM thing. It's a lie, about Spore I mean, just Spore. I have installed Spore on 3 computers, and I had to re-indtall it on one due to accidentally installing it to a portable drive. 4 activations input. 4 different drives. No problems.

I agree with GRS that a game should be rated on gameplay and not a stupid DRM. Spore earns a 4.5 outta 5 from me just because I enjoy making things and I think gameplay is rather fun. I do admit though that on all the files I made, only 2 of them I decided to leave the creature stage. The only thing I see wrong is that no matter what you do, all the attacks of vehicles look the same in the civ stage.

So now I wonder, why on earth does this DRM make so many bad reviews that lead to 1 star total rating? I bet half those DRM nuts dont even HAVE 3 comps to install it on but it doesnt matter cause I think the DRM is a lie anyway, either that or I'm just a super lucky guy and the fourth install was a fluke, but I dont really care which.
To a lesser degree, it's the same reason people don't buy perfectly functional clothing that's produced in sweat stops. They have a moral objection to some aspect of the production methods or underlying functionality of the product, and an attack against the stockholders' wallets is the only thing that works when trying to correct a company's bad behavior.

I'd be interested to hear what version of the game you got where the DRM failed to knock you back. Was it the downloaded version? Because I'm pretty sure the downloaded version uses a different scheme than the disc version--I think it's more tied to the account under which you bought the thing. Also, activating twice on the same computer would still only count as one install regardless of the drive, as long as the configuration of the computer was the same--the way these things work is to make an image of the hardware and decide it's a different computer after enough of the components change (a different motherboard or CPU is an automatic failure, I believe).

I've had to deal with these things before, so I've got first hand experience on this--it's how it worked with RPG Maker XP, and having to call the company to get software I payed for "reactivated" when I hadn't done anything wrong is definitely not a good way to stay in my good graces.

One can't help but sympathize with people who buy a product and find that people who stole it got a better product.
author=Quiversee link=topic=1860.msg31002#msg31002 date=1221185028
The only thing I see wrong is that no matter what you do, all the attacks of vehicles look the same in the civ stage.

This is one of my problems with the Civ stage. The only important parts of the vehicle design is the proportions of strength/attack/speed. You can give your vehicle a million guns and it'll have the same proportions as every other $1k vehicle. How you make your vehicle doesn't influence the price of it, how it fires, or really anything besides these proportions. You can't even make different kinds of vehicles, such as a fast scout or a slow tank except for your one vehicle.

Possible Gamey Stuff: Build a fast vehicle, move them to an enemy city. Then change your ground vehicle to a slow but strong vehicle. All your current land units will magically convert to this! I don't remember if I tested it though; I think I did but I can't say for certain.

Shadowtext
One can't help but sympathize with people who buy a product and find that people who stole it got a better product.

This is so true it hurts.
Yeah, the Civ stage has become a road block for me largely because of how shallow it is. As a longtime Civ 4 player, it's hard to deal with something that has so much more potential than that...

...but this is Maxis. I'm sure an expansion pack will come along eventually, and hopefully that'll add some depth. Which doesn't make up for the lack of a fun experience in the Civ stage now, but might make up for it later.
I bought the disc version from Wal Mart, so yeah I guess I just got lucky with the DRM thing. But yeah, I even made a vehicle that came only with a bomb launcher and it still looks like a blue laser thing like a Halo Wraith.

Man, I hope you're right about an expansion Shadowtext. All I ask is that they fix the civ stage things, allow you to customize the tribal buildings and weapons, and allow you to color the clothes from the outfitter different from the creatures skin theme.

And on that note, I wish teh color scheme of creatures was a little more customizable, but that's all minor. Mainly the civilization thing is what matters... maybe add more building types too.

And I can sorta see your point Shadowtext, but I'd imagine that there is a way to reactivate in the case of a technological error... and as to why people dont buy due to DRM, it's not gonna make the problem go away and I'm shocked that so many don't realize that.

By the way, why was this DRM even created in the first place? I don't understand all that much about it as to what it does, except that it limits the number of times you can activate 1 game...
author=Shadowtext link=topic=1860.msg31016#msg31016 date=1221189997
...but this is Maxis. I'm sure an expansion pack will come along eventually, and hopefully that'll add some depth. Which doesn't make up for the lack of a fun experience in the Civ stage now, but might make up for it later.

Just wait! For the price of one full game and the eight expansions released over three years you can finally FULLY EXPERIENCE SPORE!

The first expension: Being able to customize worlds! Includes finishing that buggy flora editor, the mineral editor, and the "Cake" editor!

Sporeapp.exe -state:Floraeditor

Yeah, its pretty much unusable right now.

Quiversee
By the way, why was this DRM even created in the first place? I don't understand all that much about it as to what it does, except that it limits the number of times you can activate 1 game...
Ever go to those pages with torrents? Every seed, every downloading peer, is A LOST CUSTOMER TO PIRACY! So DRM is used so that it can't be pirated and EACH SEED/PEER WILL BUY THE GAME INSTEAD! It's SUPER PROFITS!

There's also making the game difficult enough to pirate that there's no hacked version for the first week or two when the game comes out. That way anybody who wants the game right away will have to buy it. I remember one game, one of the Spyro's for the PC I think, managed to hold off being cracked for a month due to anti-hacking countermeasures taken. It certainly didn't stop the pirates, but I'd assume that it helped out a lot. It wasn't even requireing activation, limited installs, or any of that crap. It was just that the code was always checking itself if its been modified and whatnot I believe.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=1860.msg31041#msg31041 date=1221197178
Ever go to those pages with torrents? Every seed, every downloading peer, is A LOST CUSTOMER TO PIRACY! So DRM is used so that it can't be pirated and EACH SEED/PEER WILL BUY THE GAME INSTEAD! It's SUPER PROFITS!
While this is more or less what the publishers believe, the fact that I have never heard of a DRM scheme that kept the hackers from getting out a cracked version within a week of release of the game (Spore's actually came out a week or two before the retail version, because of some stores in Australia breaking the street date), it's a big case of shenanigans. It's like that Terry Pratchett quote: "We got a cat because our garden had become contested territory for neighborhood cats, and we were told that our own cat would prevent the fighting. A moment's thought reveals the flaw in this line of thought."
I only have one thing to say: IT NEEDS TO COME OUT FOR 360 NOW PLEASE!!!

I played it for computer, and WOW! It's so amazing!

I would buy it for PC, but my computer is just barely short on cpu for running it.
author=myersguy link=topic=1860.msg31510#msg31510 date=1221360416
I only have one thing to say: IT NEEDS TO COME OUT FOR 360 NOW PLEASE!!!

I played it for computer, and WOW! It's so amazing!

I would buy it for PC, but my computer is just barely short on cpu for running it.

You are the absolute first person that I've seen that felt this way about the game. I mean, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I've never even played it; but by God you are the first person.
I'm actually going through the work to borrow my friends EVEN THOUGH I DON'T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS. This game is that good, believe me, you need to ignore all of the trash it is getting. The only thing that is bad about it, is that people can get bored of it quite quickly. It all depends on who you are. As for me, hell no! I could spend hours making creatures!
Pages: first prev 123 next last