USING CHANCE WELL IN GAMES

Pages: first prev 12 last
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Extra Credits has a great series of vids that show how you can use RNG/chance in great ways. Chance can be REALLY horrible when abused, but it's that spice of randomness that adds a little bit of excitement in games, you know? While consistency keeps your game "fair", leaning towards too much consistency makes everything rather predictable, and that's sure to make your game boring after a while.

Anyway, here are the videos in question:

The last one is for esports, but I think we can still apply it.
I think the key is that if you are using chance in your game to make sure that you are using it well and know what it is doing. It is a bit easier when you do a straight up percentage, but the confluence of percentages can cause some unexpected effects if you aren't careful. For example, you should know on average how many drops of a certain item players will get when going through your dungeon by the chance for encounter * chance for specific encounter * size of the dungeon * rate of drop.
author=LockeZ
author=Crystalgate
it works better if the game is set up so that it's multiple rolls that matters rather than single rolls in critical situations. Over a hundred attacks, if you have 30% evasion, you can expect to evade somewhat close to 30 attacks and that way conserve healing.
And yet when I make enemies that take more than 3 hits to kill, in order to actually accomplish this type of gameplay, I get people screaming at me that my battles take forever, and player/enemy HP both need to be halved to double the battle speed, and that the game is completely unplayable because battles take more than a minute each.

Number of hits need not be proportional to battle length. I seem to recall the idea of a single attack command representing multiple hits being used in jrpgs at least as far back as the original Final Fantasy.
There's also random treasure (like in FFXII) to get items or gold, in some ways it can be good, but can also be really bad. Like getting the Zodiac Spear with only a 0.01% chance to get it.
Random drops can be really iffy. As a note though, the Zodiac spear in the original could be gotten by an easy method (albeit a 'guide dangit' moment since you had to avoid certain treasure chests through the game, and no one in game tells you it). They fixed that along with a ton of other things in IZJS, as you can get it through the hunt club, or a 1% drop in the Henna Mines (not the frigging ultima crystal)
Yeah, at the time I didn't know about the four chest your not suppose to open. (Or three, I forgot now. Haven't played the game in forever.)
I highly recommend getting a copy (You'll have to find a translated version online and burn it/emulate it) and playing the IZJS version. The job differences and all the fixes make it a much better game, especially since you have to worry about party balance and not just 'everyone's the same'. That and it makes the bonus content much better.

But all that is off topic >.> *pushes down urge to rant about games he likes*
Pages: first prev 12 last