CONKER IS BACK IN YOUNG CONKER FOR THE MICROSOFT HOLOLENS - AND PEOPLE ARE PI*SED!!!

Pages: 1

Why gamers aren’t happy with HoloLens platformer Young Conker
Remember Conker’s Bad Fur Day? If so, you’re definitely not the only one. Conker’s Bad Fur Day was considered by many to be the last great game made by Rare, a studio that’s largely considered the most storied and talented studio in video game history, launching titles such as Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie, and Goldeneye 007. Featuring largely crude humor, the game used its corny, raunchy style along with truly genius gameplay mechanics to create something that could really stand out in the eyes of the people who had grown up with Rare for so many years, and reveled in their unique style.

When Microsoft acquired Rare, it was pretty heartbreaking for a great many people. Suddenly, a studio that had mastered the art of video games was making things like Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, which are thought by many to be extremely disappointing when compared to the studio’s history when they worked free of another company’s leash. After a few missteps, however, it seemed like people were willing to let it go – Microsoft stopped making Rare twist around its loved IP’s, and the fans decided to cool down. Microsoft even released the Rare vault in the form of the Rare Replay, an incredible bundle of 30 of everyone’s favorite Rare games that tickled everyone’s nostalgia, and made gamers believe that Microsoft had gotten the message to stop trying to dig into Rare’s franchises.

With the recent announcement of a few new games coming out for HoloLens, this trust between Microsoft and the community was broken. Enter Young Conker – a game that, while possibly having the best intentions behind it, has sparked a whole lot of distrust and anger in the gaming community.

The game is going to be a HoloLens platformer, and one that actually looks like it could be pretty fun – a good proof of concept for the cool gaming experiences that augmented reality can bring us. The controversy here lies in the fact that Microsoft dragged a resting IP out of its grave to be the mascot of the game, and in so doing not only created a seemingly unfaithful recreation of the original Conker, but also missed the personality that made Conker’s Bad Fur Day such a memorable game.

As mentioned before, Conker’s Bad Fur Day was a game whose personality revolved around crude humor – that includes sexual humor, vulgarity, toilet humor, and even some stuff that’s just outright offensive. It’s a game that was totally unafraid to have no shame and no standards, and it’s that personality that made it a bit of an endearing gem among its peers. From all indications, it looks like Microsoft is making a game that features none of Conker’s personality, and instead offers some relatively generic platformer effects.

Suffice it to say, people aren’t happy with what Microsoft has done to one of gaming’s most beloved mascots, and that’s demonstrated quite clearly with the Young Conker YouTube video’s like bar – 19,000 dislikes to 2,000 likes. It’s highly unlikely that Microsoft will do anything about this backlash, but even if they do, the move is a big hit to their goodwill with Rare fans. Hopefully, Microsoft decides that they want to take this in a different direction – or at least try and release the game without giving it too much more attention.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/why-gamers-arent-happy-with-hololens-platformer-young-conker

Jesus, what the f**k did they do to him…

And I’m amazed that those guys in the video are so extremely proud of themselves and all happy like “hey, this is a great idea” and “nothing could possibly go wrong with something like this! This is what you all wanted, right, a next-generation Conker game? Did we do good?”

My god… It’s like this is all just a big joke to them and they just love getting off now on all of the negative reactions of everybody about this shit. Well – I can’t blame ‘em! I would too!

I mean, all we want is just another game in the series, just like the last Conker’s Bad Fur Day, and that’s all we want - that’s it...! It’s not f**king rocket science; this sort of shit should be easy! Yeah, you don’t have the same members of the original team any more, and I can understand that – but anything is better than this!!!

People…we’ve just witness the end of the another gaming icon... May he finally rest in peace…

Jesus…
I was ready to come here saying how people always complain about changes, like with DmC and such, but wow. This new Conker really is pretty bad! And it makes no sense trying to make Conker a whole-family mascot at this point. He's already known better as something very different and kids are bound to run into Conker's past at some point.

Not to mention this model of young Conker looks like shit too.
Sounds like a typical case of "We hate this game with a burning passion, but we'll buy it anyways".
author=Chris Seavor, Lead Designer of Conker's Bad Fur Day
If it was made now, and it was the same team it wouldn't...I don't think we'd do a game that people would want because they'd want the original Conker but again, but we're not the people to make that game -- ironically. Because we've changed, my tastes have changed and I've moved on. You'd have a hard time getting it made now.

and so time marches on

Incidentally, the rare replay (where that quote is from) for conker's bad fur day is very educational.

This is a pretty amusing twist. I guess Conker's going back to his roots? Then again, I don't know how much you can really glean from the Microsoft video.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
so is the mildly censored "pissed" a clever criticism, or can you not say "pissed" on rmn

i never played conker's but i've listend to the ost and it helped me when i took a natural disasters class at uni because i knew what a "caldera" is

edit: nevermind it wasn't conker's it was from pac man world 2

sorry conks, i hope nobody buys your shitty sequel
lol Why Conker of all their IPs? They could have easily use Banjo for this and it would make a much better fit for the kind of thing they're after... But then again, I guess they would have to drastically change Kazzoie's personality as well since she was kind of a bully, and that's not the way we do things in "current year" (Assuming that's really the reason behind any changes).

Ultimately, it's their IP and they can do whatever with it. But people are free not to like it.
Any time I hear something related to Rare, I just try to remember that like 90% of their golden boys are at Playtonic now.

That usually eases the pain.
I think the game is neat looking and I support game innovation although that hologram thing is probably crazy expensive so I ain't buying it.

However them using Conker and perverting or in this case unperverting his character is messed up. That is not Conker. They should have been courageous enough to make a new IP. Or at the very least do what alterego suggested:
author=alterego
lol Why Conker of all their IPs? They could have easily use Banjo for this and it would make a much better fit for the kind of thing they're after
That character design is atrocious, first off.

Secondly, this is very neat tech, but it will ultimately probably be about as fun as FaceRaiders, which is to say... Not at all.

Also, please, don't use Banjo and Kazooie any more. Just let them sleep, they've done their time in crappy new Rare games. New IP would have been the best way to go, since this basically has nothing to do with Conker outside of vague genre similarities.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
... Why can't they make an actual Conker game again?

The funny thing is that Conker started off as a cutesy mascot of a generic platformer, but he only got attention when he was reworked into the crude iteration everyone knows about, and now he's back to being a cutesy mascot of a generic platformer.
author=LightningLord2
Sounds like a typical case of "We hate this game with a burning passion, but we'll buy it anyways".

Jesus, I hope not… I really hate it when people do that.

Look, I know it’s great and all to support the franchise and industry and stuff and keep it afloat, but you can’t complain about stuff like this on your Twitter or Youtubes and then go buy the bloody thing regardless. If you truly want things to change, you gotta man up and just say “NOOOO!!!”

I like Conker and all, but I ain’t buying this shit.

author=Pizza
Also, please, don't use Banjo and Kazooie any more. Just let them sleep, they've done their time in crappy new Rare games.

…But they can still be in Smash Bros. someday, right?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
the next smash bros will be nothing but character select. there will be 200 options, but no actual fighting. it's because of you, addit. you did this.
Addit
Pizza
Also, please, don't use Banjo and Kazooie any more. Just let them sleep, they've done their time in crappy new Rare games.
…But they can still be in Smash Bros. someday, right?

Yeah, that'd be pretty rad. Beats the hell out of more animu babies from FE.
author=Craze
the next smash bros will be nothing but character select. there will be 200 options, but no actual fighting. it's because of you, addit. you did this.

Oh wow. Thanks a lot for ruining the lives of thousands of gamers, addit. I just hope you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror this morning. And the next.

Heck, I just hope that the press doesn't get a hold of this. Imagine living life after that.
author=Craze

Hey, I always did enjoy my menus and countless options. (#blameitonMonopolo.)

author=Pizza
Beats the hell out of more animu babies from FE.

Hey, I actually like Ike. You can cut Corrin and Lucina for all I care; just keep Marth, Ike, Roy and Robin for the next game.

author=Aetherrevival
Oh wow. Thanks a lot for ruining the lives of thousands of gamers, addit. I just hope you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror this morning. And the next.

Heck, I just hope that the press doesn't get a hold of this. Imagine living life after that.

Yeah, but at least people will still buy it, right?

If modern game design has taught me anything these days it’s that the less work that you put in to actually designing the damn game and putting more of your focus and attention on adding as many options in as possible and countless DLC the better the game will be, right? (What do you mean that’s not right!?)
author=Addit
Hey, I actually like Ike. You can cut Corrin and Lucina for all I care; just keep Marth, Ike, Roy and Robin for the next game.

Agreed. Regardless of what they've done with the series now, I'm still going to be a fan of the older games.

And for me, Ike is the coolest, personality-wise. He might not be my favorite to use in Smash Bros., but I still like him.

author=Aetherrevival

Yeah, but at least people will still buy it, right?

If modern game design has taught me anything these days it’s that the less work that you put in to actually designing the damn game and putting more of your focus and attention on adding as many options in as possible and countless DLC the better the game will be, right? (What do you mean that’s not right!?)

Actually, you're totally right! Look at EA. They follow that rule to the letter and, to this day, they are still getting money.

Well, I guess if you're going to have haters, make sure you at least live it up!
Pages: 1