THE DIARY OF THE MASOCHISTIC MONK [DARK SOULS TOO BAREHANDED CHALLENGE]

Pages: first prev 123 last
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=NeverSilent
Yay, more monky business! Though I have to admit the recent toxicity of this thread is starting to worry me.

But really, I'm glad to see you can still manage to play some games now and then despite all the other work you have to do. Hopefully you're not stressing yourself out too much.

Since I'm not very knowledgeable on Dark Souls in general, I wondered: Apart from the visual similarities, are Najka's and Quelaag's actual combat mechanics easily comparable as well? As in, did the boss in the first game use the same damage over time plus stalling strategy as well, just with fire instead of poison?
(To be honest, I like to use this kind of strategy myself whenever games allow me to do it.)

I'm a little afraid of what the next episode will bring, but also looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the update!

My complaints and whining are all in good, hyperbolic fun. If I really thought this was a terrible game, I wouldn't be doing this challenge in the first place. The Rotten and this next boss are the only ones that actually left me legitimately angry, and even then I tried to play it up for laughs.

Regarding the gameplay differences between Quelaag and Najka, the fights are a little similar, especially in close combat, but there are enough differences between the two that my comparison falls apart when critically examined. For one, I think Najka is comparatively more boring. Quelaag spits up lava to create temporary damage fields, has a powerful AOE blast to keep you from wailing on her for too long, and has a healthy string of combos that require careful timing and dodging to successfully evade.

Najka has none of that. Her reliance on burrowing underground after poisoning you means you spend a lot of time waiting. I can't think of any other boss in the entire series (I've played them all) that forces you to just stand there and wait nearly as much as she does. Quelaag's fight kept you engaged from the very first second. Najka's did not.

The other reason was the accusation that Najka's visual design was a shameless ripoff of Quelagg for the sake of fanservice. Quelaag was (from what I've seen) one of the most well-loved bosses in the series. She had a sad backstory and surprisingly human motivations once you find out what exactly she was blocking you from. The fact that Najka was designed the way she was but was made significantly more boring to fight annoyed a lot of people, including myself, when the game first came out.

Like I said in the writeup, I don't feel that way anymore. The answer to your question is: No. There is enough differences between Quelaag and Najka to make them two separate bosses. Whether someone finds one or the other boring is irrelevant. They are not the same.

author=NeverSilent
P.S.:
author=Red_Nova
Not cynical self-depreciating mad.
author=Red_Nova
self-depreciating
I'm not the only one who did that wrong! Hahaa! Yes!

i no how to english dont leckshure me

EDIT: Friggin page breaks...
Wheee! I happily read more stuff.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
If this journey will end, what will happen to Masomonk?

Once he defeats his foes that gives him his masochistic determination, what journey will Masomonk go to?

Will he journey on to DS3 and destroy Admiral Bulldog's insane runs that have first-try boss kills and only having the first boss to claim his numerous deaths?

Or shall he finally see his masochistic goal where he desires for more, where there is none?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I thought about moving on to DS3 with this challenge, actually! The problem is that I don't know the intricacies of those bosses nearly as much as I do with DS2, and I don't have the time anymore to learn them. I had originally planned to just power through the game and be done before last Christmas, but look where we are now? Haha...

So yeah, this will probably be Masomonk's last journey. Maybe he'll retire and become an accountant or something? Hm.

I want to mention that, about a day after my fight with Najka, I came down with a massive fever and was bedridden for two days. Now I can safely say that this is the first game I've ever played that's so hard it physically assaults and curses the player! How many games can you say THAT about, huh?

I will finish, however! I've got about 7 more required bosses to do (and if they are too easy, I won't even write about them), so the journey is over halfway through! Thanks for sticking with me, everyone!
Red_Nova
BOSS 10: The Duke's Dear Freja

A.K.A. HELL

HP: 4,220 (According to Fextralife Wiki)

I was doing 76 damage per hit with fists.

I want you to do something for me. Seriously, please do it. Don't just keep reading to see where I'm going with this. Do it.

I want you to stand up straight and tall. Slowly count to four and breathe in as much as you possibly can in an even and controlled manner. Once you reach four, I want you to count to four again and exhale all the way out just as smooth a manner as you did breathing in. Don't hold back. Empty those lungs. Repeat these two procedures about three times. Afterwards, breathe in for three counts, and exhale for three counts. Repeat three times. Then inhale/exhale for two counts. Then inhale/exhale for one count about five times. Each time you breathe in, fill your lungs to burst. Each time you breathe out, empty them completely.

You may have noticed that the floor has made sudden and violent contact with your face and you can no longer tell up from down. Congratulations, you now have an idea of what fighting the Duke's Dear Freja is like without any weapons or armor.

To bATtlE!

Oh dear god where do I begin? Well, first things first: This boss commits the cardinal sin of all boss fights by throwing in additional enemies to deal with. Yep. That's right. Adds. This is one of THOSE bosses. If fighting Freja herself wasn't enough, I had to deal with a bunch of spiders blindsiding me when I'm trying to hurt the boss! I would rather drink an entire gallon's worth of laxatives than have to fight another boss with pointless adds again.

Yeah, this is a spider boss, and yeah the adds are all spiders, but I don't care! I'm all for adding in gameplay elements that match the story, but not at the expense of driving me pyscho bonkers crazy with rage from adds being thown in! It would have been cool if the adds made the boss fight interesting in some way, such as being vulnerable to the bosses attacks (specifically the AOE ones of which there were plenty) or being driven into a frenzy whenever the boss cries out in pain or something. But nope. They're just there for the sole purpose of artificially pumping up the difficulty in a way that pisses me off.

The spiders attacked me in groups of three to four at once. On my way to the boss, they were chumps to deal with, but now, it took at least four to five hits to kill one. And you know what WASN'T standing still while I was killing a spider? His spider friends. And they do a lot of damage. A. LOT. OF. DAMAGE. One single hit from a spider took out 90% of my health bar (and remember that I've been pumping up my health with souls since I don't use many other stats in this build). Even without armor, that's just insane. Now imagine four of them attacking at once while I try to whittle down a single spider's health to eliminate all distractions from the boss. Yeah. Not fun. But I had to do it, but more spider will spawn in after a certain amount of time, and I couldn't let this become a battle of attrititon. The spiders had to die as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, speaking of the boss, you wanna know what ELSE wasn't standing still while I was killing a spider? The frickin boss. You may have noticed I spent several paragraphs talking about the adds and not so much talking about the boss itself. Well, I did this because I wanted to frame for you exactly why the adds were such a pain. Freja herself has a few attacks that make her hard to move in and hit, but the most annoying one was her energy beam attack. It comes out of nowhere and isn't like any other move in her arsenal at all, but it covers a wide, wide arc. When I was fighting the extra spiders, Freja would often spam this stupid beam of hers with such frequency that I could often not kill the spider I was currently fighting before needing to dodge. That beam is strong enough to take out 80% of my health.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the Duke's Dear Freja has two heads on either side of her body. The good thing about that is that there are two different spots for you to attack from, but if you think that makes the fight easier, then please redo the excerice I asked of you at the beginning of this entry. Once you damage a head enough, it will straight up fall off, cutting off an avenue for damage. Which is a good metaphor for this entire challenge now that I think about it. I obviously must have cut off my own brain to think that this entire challenge was a good idea.

This was clearly a boss that would be better off fought with a companion. That's why, just outside the door, there is an NPC for you to summon to fight alongside you. But that ain't the challenge, though, so no help from me! No kindness and love for Nova. Only pain. Only rage.

It fun. Hurting fun.

That's what I tell myself as I cry myself to sleep at night, anyway.

RuBbiNg saLt In tHe WoooooooOuNd:

I've got nothing else to say about this fight that hasn't been said already. The boss itself wasn't too bad, but the adds were like a cheese grater against my brain. After dying three times, enough brains had been grated from my skull that I forgot basic math. After seven deaths, I forgot how underwear worked. After sixteen deaths, my current death record for any boss in this challenge was broken and so was my soul.

But hey, that's the last of the Great Soul Bosses! With that, the game becomes a lot more linear, and (hopefully) easier. For now, though, reliving this traumatic experience. Someone give me cupcakes. I need cupcakes.

YES!! GET ME OUT OF THIS HEEEEEEELLLL!

ThE cOnCluSion:

everything hurts life is pain what is there to live for god has come to reap the sinners there is no stopping the armageddon why does it hurt so much someone please help me please stop the pain my entire world has gone r̪͚͙̱e̘̬d̦̗͓ͅ ͓̤n̛̠̮̰o̮̹̫̫̹̞̣͜ ̬͔̀ǹ͖͙͍̺o͖t̖̹̪ ̨̟̲̗͇t̟̹h̦̬͔̝ę̝̠ ̞̻̖r̟̥̟̠̯͖͜e͓̼d͏͎ ̟i̬͕̺̼̩n͔͍ ̫͚m̜̖͓̯̗y͔ ̺̘͈͍n͎̱͙͇̙̙͙͜a͚̞̰̣̰̟m͘ͅe҉̝̰̤̞̯͇ ͈̩̮̘b̢͚̻͔u̦̰̭̼t̼̟̱͝ ̲͔͘a̟͓̣͎͇͍͔ct̰̗̳̜u̜̞͟á̪̯̹̫̞͇l̛͚͈̯̘̲͓̼ ҉̬͙̲̙̪b̬̀l̷o̩̳o̷d̝̫̜̰͚y̯ ҉͕̮̝͚r̢̞̖͕͚̹̦͔ę̮̯͚͚̹̲d̸͈̗͖ ̗͓̫͠t̝͔ḥ̼̞̣͙̘a͓̮͕̲͞ͅt̮̲̲͇͍̲ ̶̱̮s̱͟w̥̠̳͕͟i̵̻̪m̖̰͔͠s̫̦͇͉̘͈̘ ̻̞̹ìn̘̖̼͠ş̤̲̦ͅi̫̹͜d҉͍̫̤̖͙̩͙e̗͉͓̫̳͔͖ ̬̩̪m̕e ̸̠͇̟̦h̨̠̩a̫̘̙͉͇͠s̛̼̺͔ ̹̩̝̲̰̹e̷̞r̮̬̟͉̗̳̙u͇̘̕p̘̖̯ͅͅt͖̮̩̙̜͟e͡d͙͕̪͖̲͎̩̀ f̙͖̖̲̠r̲͞o̖̲̞̱̟ͅm̶͖ ţ̱h͔̭̙͈͠e͏̰͖ ̻̤̪͞da̪̦͡r͇k̦͉ǹ̟͍̦̭̙̝̫ȩ͉̣̙̝̩s̖s̬̤̖̰̞͡ ̷̝i̷̯n̰ ̱̰̞̥̣̝m͖y̵͈͕͙̹ͅͅ ̶̖̖̙ͅs̕o̗̯̮̳u͠l̬͓͢ ͖̝̻̭̼m͝a̬̜͝d̥̦͉̯̜̝̹͠e̥̹̰͇͚̙̤͜ ͓̜̖̕m̦͕̫͜a̼͞n̨̝̝͔̘̠̹i̢̖̳͔̞̺fę̼̗̣̤̩̬ͅş̟͖͖̠͉̺t̡̬̟̜̩ ̺͙̰̟͚̰͎̀b̤̹͢ỵ̫͍̪̙ ̶̮̜̞th҉͎̞ͅe̲͍͔͠ ̬͙͓̰s̩̺̲̩̬̫̙u̙̜f͉͕f̥̘̫̹̯̗̕e̦̻r̛̩in̗g ̼i͔̟̤ ̧͚͎͕͍̣h̸̦̟̦̞a̮͔v̥̜̘͙e̛͔͇̠͕ ̠̩i̻̠̭n͍̥̤̭͔̻͚̕f̷͎̗̫͈ͅl̮͈i͚̲̞͉ͅc̥̱̙̣͠t̵̥ͅe̗͡d͇̭͖̙͞ ̦̩͈ù̪͚̬̺̤p̞̱̙̼̼o̭̜̱̮͚ͅn ̠̫̠̹͇͇̬m̗̩̫͔͔̙͔y҉̘̺ͅś̙͔̰͎̝͕̼e̠͙͖͠l͔̺͖̠f̵̻̭̞̥͚ ͈͕a̼͈̳͖n̻d͙̜̫̞̥̱̙ ͎͟t̥͓h̙͔̭͓̹̭̠e̗̦̞re͖͖̻̥̩̯̥f҉͇͔̹͎͉̗o̶r̮͕̰͈̥̟̰e̻̻̣̜̳ͅ ͏̳̜̜͍i̴̛͚̖̮ ͉̠͚m̷̢͕̼̖̝̤u̸̺͓̟̭s̫̼̼ͅt̪̗̀͘ ̧̨̺̰͉̣͉̯̣ͅd̛̩̳̞̭̻̖́͝i҉̶̝̼͕́e̮̪͢ ̣͍͖̼̙̰̦̻͟͟͞t̴̹̩̫͜o͔̗̝̰̞̳ ͖̜̜̗́́a̢͖̺̙͈͉͈̬̪̕t̫͉o҉͘҉̹̥̝͉̜n͇̝͙͎̜̣͈̤̮͢e̫̙̯̗͚͚͚̞̪͜ ̮̟͔͔̻̲̱͞f̵͙̺̜̪̦̀o̵̬͎̻̙̥͍̗͟r͚̘͕̫̳̖̯ ̷̞̪̯t̳̮͈͕̞̯͘ͅh͔̞̞̞͓i̺̖͎̖̖̻̞̥̼s͏̫̙̤̹̯̦͘ ̛̣̭̯̼̀g̻̺͕̤̙̟ṟ̷̨̩̪̻͡a̴̠͈̤v͇e̷̦͖̥͇͜ͅ ̴̼̥̖̹̬̗͟͜s͕͖i̦̣̖̭͈͉n̷̢̡͚̺̦̯̠̞̜ ̦͡͞s̛̛̙͔͉o̗͈̬̰̪̻̮͜ ̬̗̫͕̗̫͍͠ț̞̩̦͚͖̰h͏͏͓͍̀e̫̮̝̣̙̦ŗ̤̫̥̞͘̕e̴̢̹̯͠ͅf̛̮̗̳͞ò̧̘̞̤͚̕ŗ̸̘͈͇̞̤͍͟è̠͓̱͙̞̗̬͟ ̩̰̜̥̭͎í̯͎̜͎̞̙͢ ̳̖ś̵̹͈͓͎͝h͖̤̯͕̜͉a̯̺̤͡l̩̤̜͢l̛̤̼̀ ̡̛̞̲̩k̩̫̕i̶̵̵͚̪̗͓l̗̲͕̰̹͜l̮̠̪̀̕ ̘̮̣̱̖̟̬̺e̷͏͚̣̘͇̝̗̮̠v̧҉̫͕͈͚̺̯e͍͙̙r͉̱̖̪̻̩̼̻̰̕y̶͍͉̗b̨̛̞͔̺̗͕̦̭̳͡o̧̠d̯͇̹̳̼̦͟y̤͓̮͓̠͕̼̭͜ͅ ̰̦͍͎a̜̪̙n̵̺͍̙d̴͖̮̩̻͍͈͎̞̳ ̴͈̠̙̼̬̞̤͖̺͠t҉͕̭̯̣͈̰͖̹̕h̟͉̦̳̟̯̪̩e̢̙̩͖n̡̤̻͉̯̰̤͈̣ ̨̜̺̼̣̟̞̱̠̖m̡͏͉͇̥̦̮̮y̗̺̥̱̯͖̩͞s̼̼̬͘͠e̶̱ḷ̶̻͙f̪̳̜̦͕͍̭̩̼̀͞ ̟̭͖̥̹̥̳̹́f̘͚̘̦̠̩͡o̶̥̳̕r͕̹̫ ̘͎̭h̴̨̳̞̪̹̥͇̥̼u̦̯͕͔̜͡m̧̼̯͙̬͉͝a͚͍̪̦̠͈͞n̸͚͔̗͙̞͔͝ͅs̶̡̝̜͙̹̯̜͈͈̼ ̱͖͍͡d͕̖͜o͓͖̟̱̻̫͘ ̲̹͔́n̡̙̙͚̟̫͡o͇͍͉͙̘͝ͅt̷̖̥̕ ̠͕̭̩h̨̲̖͔a̫͕̺̗̼̫̬͇v̫͉̭͉̣e̺̮̠̪͙̹̝͝ͅ ̥͚͙̰͢͡t͔̦̗͕̜h̷̸̼̠̠̞̘̜̻͢ͅe̜̯̭ ̵̲̟̥͝ͅr̛̘̣̫̟͍i͔͈̦g̡͍̘̼͈͉̤̱̞h͉̹͍̠̘̯͘̕͟ţ̴̗͍̭͇̤ ̷̞͈͘͡t̴̹̼̲̰͙͇͇̹o̥͓ ̢͈̬̘ḏ̘̝̣̹̼̀w͜͏̹̹͇̯̟e̡̼̳̞l͙̮̭͘l͝͏͎ ̧͔͕͈̥̻̱͍͉̕ư҉̥̹̤͙̼̮͍̖p̢͓̙̣̟o̯̩̻̟͉̩̣n̺͍̣̺͎̫͙̼͡ ͙̭̘̩͕̗̹̭t̡͎͖̕h̴̳̞̖͚̖͔̭̻͜i̴̻̼̰̗͉̹͇s͓͕̻̤̖̝͡ ͔̼̙̹̜͚͈͢é͍a̢̭͞r͈̳̬̩̬̫̀͢ͅt̨̲̞͕̘̫̩̳͜͝h̵͚̮͎̰̠̲̝͟ͅ ̷̧͙͖̘̣͖͈̗̀ͅs̷̡̥̫̲̖͉͞i̢̘̟̦͖̜̳̥̗ͅn҉̵̙c̣̖͖é̢̫̖̕ ̸̤̲̙̯̣͚̠̤w̴̶͈e̛̝̼̠̱͓ͅ ̧̪͕͔͙̕ͅh̜͢á̶̝̳́v̩̫̤͉̕e̻̖̙̥̺̦͇ ̼̬͔̳m̸͈̹͍͍á͎d̵͈͕͚̣͓̲̀ͅe̡͕̬̫̲͝ ̶̧̹͈̪̭͇͔͍͇a̘̪͇͓͕̺̠͎͟͠b̮͈̦̳́ͅo͏̗͔̼̦̫͙͔̥͝ḿ̨̳̦̕i͓̠͎͓̠̠͇̕n̥͖̘̕a͚̤̫̗͔͎͘͠t̡̢̹̻͓͚i̶̢̥o͢͢͏͙n͈͙̻̭͡ş̭̟͚́͢ͅ ̰̬̟l͉̳̤̞̺̲̞ͅi̝̤͚k̸͚̠͕̜͕͝e͍͉̬̪̣͙͞ͅ ͘͏̘̼̦͔̠t̨̻̦̕h̡͚̮̪͟i͏̢̜̠̣s̬̺̺̰ ͇̣͇͙̲̝̦ḇ̢̟̼̺̹́͢o̸͓̞͚̹̕s̨̼̤̳̘̮̳͈s̵̨̤̱͓̠̣̟͇ ͍̥͚̦͖̬͜͜f̠͢ḭ̷̭̖̙̝͔g̴̮̭̯̥̜͓͖̱͘ḩ̶̛̙͖̗͚͔͔̦̗t̷̬̹̀

t̴̳͍̖̱͉̜͐ͫ͊ͨ͆͒͊h̨̝̫̼͔̐̒̓ͅe͐͋ͫ̍ͣ̄͏̺͚͙̺̜͙̟͎͈r̃ͨ̓́͛̂ͣ҉̶̗͈̠̞̘̰͇̮ẽ̘͚̞͉̗͖̳̋ ͖͍͓̩̞̝̺̿́ͤ̊̀̀͜ͅĩ͓̩̹̞͐͒̄̀͢š̓ͤ̉͏̡̧͎͍͔̩ͅͅ ̸̫͉̝̦̜͕̤ͨ̂̌͛̋ͮ̔̄͟͝n̡̪ͥ̾̇̃̄͌́ő͉̭̹̐ ͫ̏̏ͪ͐̍̓͟͡҉̝̪̰̟̬̭lͧ́̇͗ͨ͒͌̚͘͏̳̘͚͙̣̞͢i̷̴̻̤͓ͣ͌̽͗̑̓́ͭ͘f͕̥̭̻̬̖̂ͫ̿ͤ͛ͬ͢ẹ̵̟̀̐̓́̾̕͟ ̢̢̺͕ͯͨ̌̒͢ȏ̪͙͂̃̈́͗ͣ̆r͔͎̳͎ͭ̏ͣ͛ͤͭ́͜ ̶̧̯͎̿͒̕l̜̮̮͇̍ͭͯ̆̊͡o̳̳͔͈͓̳ͥ̑̅̇ͩ̉ͮ͜ͅv̡̱̟͕̹ͤ̍̉ͨ͗́͞ë́̓̅̅ͫ͌ͥ҉̮̣̞͉͍͎̙ ̠͚͙̹͉̌̑͟o̧̩̬͚̥͙̫̬ͯ͝r̬̫̎ͥ͛͟ ̡͙̯͍̖͚̘̼̳ͤͩ̄ͩ̐͆̂ͨ̉j͚̯͉͖̞̣̤͍ͧ̏ͧ̂͑́ȯ̷̵̴̙̬̟̱͖̗̜̱̈́ͪ͐̌̐̚ͅy̶̶̩̠̞̜̲͈̱͋ͥ̊̀ͅ ̢̞̝̰̱̪ͩ͊͗o̸̴̘̝̲̗͂͋ͭ͆ͦ̈r̐͑ͫ̋ͩ͋̌ͣ҉̶͙̙͓̜̳̬̘͕͝ ̫̼͈̥̲̠͒ͫͬ̿͞c̘̭ͥ́̒̀̔ͬ̌̿ͅh̸͕̼͆ͣ͊͗̌̐̍̂e̦̭̻͓̫̟͔ͩͨͫͦ̏̓e̢̖̱͍͛̑̋̾͠r̜̯̖̤͌͊͗̓̿̉̄ ̌̒͐̊͗̔ͣͦ҉͕̲̱̰͖͇͕͢i̵͚̩͉̘̜ͯ̋̔̚ṅ̸̤͍̭̏̏ͯͨ͌ͥ ̡̱̰͆ͤ̈͟͜m̷͓̘͕͍͚ͧ̏ͫͫ̿ͣͦȳ̢̱̯́̿ͦ͗ͧ̃̚ ̸̱͚͈̯̗̳̯̅̐́ͅͅe̸̝͙̘̙̭̹͌́x̮̦̘̜͍̘͛ͪ̌͟i̧͖̫̱͒͆̇͂̀s̺͇̖͈̥̟͓̼̿͌̚͢͡ͅt̢̮͙̗͔́̂̆͊̄̈́͐ͥ͐e̵̜̯̦͎̲ͬͫͪͦͤ͗̄͛̓͢͢ͅnͦ͆͜҉͓̭̣͚̰͜c̴̵͔͌͒́͒ͮė̶̞̥͎̯̪̇̾ ̨̞̭̠̘̹̤̬͛͆͊ͥ̈́̔̌ͨ͜f̫̖͔͔̪̑̂͆̈́̈́̊͒̔̔ǫ̗͈̣̣̣ͯͨr͉̫̰͔̻͖̺̪ͬ͊͒͗̏̀́ ͯ̉̔ͯ͒̐҉̼͙̰̭͟i̢̯̟̠͚̥͙̖̮̚͜ ̛ͭ̑͐̍ͮ̈͑̈҉̟h̾͛̋ͥ͗̒̓̈́̚͏̷͓͇̲̹̟͔̹̮̲a͕̻͖͈̗͎̿͂̋̀v͓͈͚̝̥̙̺̱͊̏̊́̑̔̌̄̀e̺̝͇͕̤͔̞̊ͪ̉ͫ͑͑ ̖̠̼̬͓̤̫̏͗̅͌ͧ͗ͭ͜c̡̗̥͛̾ͨ̒͋ȁ̇̐ͩ̔̎ͫ̎͟͠͏͎s̢̫̥̯͎̳̦̃͛̇͂̏͑ͤ͋̎t̸̬ͩ͋ͯ͛̽ͅ ̶̦̟̫͍̥̖̣ͥ͒ͪ͒̋̃̈́͢a̪͚̹̮͖̞̮̬͆ͫͩ̆ͦͩ̔̌͘͞ş̷̤̤͓̰̹̠̘ͭ̇ͤ̓ͫ͛ͫ̇i̴̛͔̟͔̤͈̜͙͍͆̇̈̒̐d͚̄͐͐ͧ́͢͞ͅē̷̻̖̤̗̪͖̦̦͔ ̨̧͎͉̘̟̩̲͈̳̄ͬͭ̂ͯ͋̆ṭ̴̩͍͔̝̞̝̩̇̅̅͆́̊͐̆h͇̫̟̬͗̇͂̄̔͋e͎̓̽ͪ̔ͬ̍ͩ̈͗ ̥̮̬͙̰̭̇̆̕c̴͚͉̞͛̂̉̓o̷̧͎̼̥̭͉̓̇ͦ͜m̶̷̡̖̺̜̟̯͈̝̪̃̂ͧͣ̓̃͌͌f̙͚̖̯͔̏ͧ̕͠o̵̵͈͔̞ͣͭr̗̹͈͉̠ͮ̔͌ͣ̓̀͊̌̍ț̷̥̥̬̒̾̅ͩ̿ͪ́͠ͅa̝̝͂̔b̸͈̠ͯ̽ͮ͂͋̄̐̃̀͢ĺ̼̘͎̞̟͈̠̺ͯ͐ͣ͂̎ͤe̎ͧ̆̏́̚҉̦͉̖̫͚͚͎ ̲̞͉̹̻̲̫̖͗̍͂̏̅ͦh͇ͭ̎ͩͥ͆͟͞ý̷͙̪̖͈̇̓̐͟ͅp̢͎̠͖̳ͩͦͤ͑̇̽̽̎̏͘o̸̗͖̠̰͕̳ͧ͠c̶̳̍̽̂r̸̡̰͕̎͋̀̇̑̏͠ȉ̵̲͕̣͉ͪ̋ͩͤ̈͐͆͞͡s͍̩̺͓ͯ̓͞į̝̱̙̓̔̌͘e̐̿͏̤̮̕s̶̨̪͇̒́̽ͬͥͧ͆ ̦̲͈̘͓̱͇̞̜̃ͤ̑ͣ͒̄̌̽͋̕o̶̼͖̩̰͔̯̘̱ͦͪ̈́f̷̝̄͐̏̉ͨ͞ ̺͎̫͙͌͢ͅo̸̶̞̺͍͙ͦͮ̊̚u̸̺̪͖̤̪͖ͤ̈̐ͫ́r̝̳͇̪̜̯ͤ̀̈̑̀̇͛͆͛͞ ̑ͪ҉̷̲̠s̷̠̥̏̎ͧͣ̓ͣ̔͘ơ̻͉͖͈͍͈̄͑͋ͮ̇̀̚cͨ̇̌̾̏̂̿̆͏̟̜̜̯͙ͅį̧͆ͯ̃̔́́̽͏̩̼e̘̼͎̗̥̭̣ͭ̎̋̚͠t̨̙̖̠̠̬̫̗̗ͫ̓̋ͥ̊ͧ̀y͚͉̭͎̑̔͒̇͌͌̚ ̛͚̤̫̝͈͖̪͖̰̾̄ͥ̍͂ͨ̃̅ạ̻̘̩̹ͫ͑ņ̸̴̦̝̳̭͊́ͧ͂̚ḍ̠̗̤͙̗̥̲̃̾́͢ ͙̗̽͗̔͛̓ḩ̛̟͉͓̇ͧ̈́̌̎͊̓̔͊a̴̯̩̼͔̾͆̋͗̒͂̕v̷͕̥̣̦͕̭̺̳ͯ͂̀͢e̮̰͖̲̹͛̓̆̀̍͌͞ͅ ͔̦̯̤̰̪͊ͩ̽͗ͪ͜e̶̜̼ͨͮ͌̆̔m̨̡̮̞͂̀͊͊̈́ͮ̔ͫ͛b̴̨̻̘ͩ͌͝r̠͖̫̰̤͎̫͉̆ͤà̟̣̫̫͍͔̇̇́ͩ͋̚c̞͍ͯ͂͛ͣ͟͜ḝ̜̦̐̔ͤͫď̬̗̥̥̃ͫ ̝̝̝̝͑̽̃ͮͮ̌̓̚͟ṫ̸̥̯̝́ḩ͙̬̦̟̾̿̏ͤ̓͌̆͘͠e̴̴̘̱̣̖̥̦̠ͣ̓̒̚ͅ ̞͕̺̭̭͕ͩ̿ͮ̓́͒̐͆d̈̍ͨ͑̾҉̨̦̥ȁ̛̤̓̔̽̐̈́̽́͞r͓̖̯̱͈̄ͯ̔̈́̉͊̓ķ̭͕͇͑̌̅̅͛ͅn̴̢̤̠͙̥͖̺̭͚ͭ̈́e̛͉̯̹̖̾ͥ̎̔͋̎ͥ͠s̲̳̠̀̉̂̈̒ͭ́s̷̝͓̙̣̑̀͐͊ͨ̊͗̈́ ̵̨̞̯͉̗̿ͨͭ́ṫ̼̜̳͖͇̳̜̠͊ͨ͠h̡͓͇̘͗͗ͧ̌a̮͙͔̙̜̦̮̋́ṫ̸͖̗̰͔̫̹ ̶̦̮̫̭̆̾ͭ͋̈́̇̾͌ȋ̖̥̗̖̮ͯs̶̬̯͖̩̅̎ͤ̋̆̄͛͝ ̶͓͚͈̺̋̄͋̐m̹̆̿͘͞ͅa̷̻͐͆ͅş̷̦͕ͨ̽̄o͕̠̲͌̑ͦͯ͋̕c̗̄̽̋̊͢h͔̖̯̗̦̖ͤ͠͡ͅi̦͚̮͙̠͎̗̔̽̓͗̓̃ͦ̈̀s̶̗̻̦ͬ͗͂ͬ̽̓͆̉̽m̸̡̗̘̥̭͕ͣ̒͋̈̄̓̚ ̗̤͉̱̖̼̞̀̓́̿͆ͦͬ̚͞͠a̷̹͈ͬ͂͛͐͊͢n̦̯̜͂̊̉̾̌̈́͘͠d̩̪̺̘ͩ͑͋ͮ̊̕ͅ ͎̮̘̜̥̺͚̆͗̀͝͝n͉̘̥̥̻͓ͯ̌͊͟o̺̦͖͔͒̃̂̓ͨ̂͂̄͘͠ţ̠̲̻̤̭͕̝͓̂̑̉́͛̔h͔͔̫̣̩͋̇̒ͭͫ̍ͩͅḭ̠̟͚͚̠̘̞̬̇̃̒ͧ͟͜͞n̶̨̛͎͔͈͚̺̫̠̔͑ͯ̎̑̈́̂͆g̖̠̫̥͈ͤ͂ͤ̉͟͡ ̵̘̟̜̻͐ͬ̔c̸̖͇̭ͥ̒a̧̓̒ͤͦ̾҉̼̤͇̘ͅṅ̦̰̩̯͂́͢ ̝̦͓͎̙̤̈s̯͎̈́̓̔̓̑ͣ̂́t͗ͧ͗͒͏͓̣̜̬̲̯͖̟o͍͕̰̣͍̗ͪ̉͋͑̽̆ͯ͘̕͝ͅp̛̟̟̙̻̳͋̔ͩͯͭͣ ̶̪̹̯̼̻͖̠̐͌͗ͫ̍̈́ṁ̴̯̮̺̥̙ͯ̂͂̑ͤ̉̊͞e̸͔̩̮͔͖̽͋͞ ̭̞͔̞̣̈ͤ̓͟͞f̴̧͍̰̯͈̱̬ͯ̈́́ȑ̷̪̈͠o̅̌̒͏̬̪̹͉͡mͭ̑ͨͥ́ͯͧ̇͏͙̲̬̖̼͖̥̞ ̢̙͎̗̜̘̩̟͐̒͐̈́͢ḛ̢̳̫̈́ͤ̌ͪ̌͋ͭ̅͞x̢̣̣͔̭̠̪̘̌͘p͑҉͔͍̮̗̞̺ͅe̦̱͔͉ͯ̃ͨ̓͑̀̚͢ń͚͚̘̻̩͇̰͔̺͂̊̈́͜dͦ̋͐̿̉ͥ̊̄̆҉̲̮ĩ̢̠̬̱͓̣ͪ͌ͪ͂̓ͅn̶̛̬̦̠̺̣̪̫̉̈͊̓̒̔g̹̟̊ͩ̂̃̋͑̓́͞ ̘̦̣͔ͩ̑͋̆̚͘m̷̮̗̫̜̅͑̕yͦͨͩ̋̃ͫ͒̚͘͏͙͚̤͖̲̩ ̴͕̻͚̫̱̩̿̀͂ͥ̎̋̕͝pͩ̓̄̎ͪ҉̡͎̲̺̰ȁ̵̭͚̏į̪̣̙̞͓͍͛nͦ͜͏̪̣ ͋̆̚͘͏̣̩̘̲̹t͐ͮ̿̈ͥͣ̊͊͏̭̥͓̬͉̤ǫ̵̝̫͉̲̇ ̡͈̣̭̥ͩ͊̌̀ͮt̗͓̯̺̯̰̑̒̅ͣ̒͊̍ͩ͡͝h̶̭̬̻̦̞ͮ̓́̉͑͝ê̢ͩ̓̈́̌͒ͥ̋͘҉͓̥̳̟ͅ ̵̺̹̐́͜w̸̭̮͕̝̙͎̽ͧ̍͟oͣͥͪ̍҉̤͍̜̹ͅṛ̙̪͍̥͈̝̑͂͒͌ͮ̓ͦ̂͘͞l̯̘̂́̀d̙͈̯͎͚͍ͪ̎ͤ̇̓̈́͘ͅ ̨͆̇̽̀͂̍̿͡҉̝̺̗̗̫͙ͅ
̅҉̢̘̳̬͙̲̻̹ͅ
̑ͬ͋̽̈́͏͕̞̥̜̳̞͍̱
̛ͥ̑ͧ́̔̌͐͑͏̪͓ͅp͈̜̲̥̱ͧ̓̾͐̽̎͌̑l̷̡̨̖̭̬̼̤̜̹̻̝͌̊̈́͌e̷͍̥̮̣̜ͣ̍a̦̬͓̜͖̓͆ͭ̓̊ͪs̟̣̼̟ͥͣ͢e̡̙̰̘̪̣͆̑̔ͮͨͯͯ̇̾͜ ̪͈̙̪̟̽̒͋ͣh̨͙̲̙̟͕͉̫͗ͬ̑̄͌͐ͫ̚e̵̢͚̦͎̣̩̘͗ͪ̍ͨ́l̵̛̖̪̱͓͕͓̈́ͨ̚͜ͅp͎͙̐͗̃͊̿̎ͮ ̗ͩ͠m̗̘̤̥͍̙̳ͦ̓ͤͬ̇̋͋̔e̸̖͇̙̺̠̰ͩ̐ͮͧ͐͌̏̍͂́͢ ̖̉̌̓͊ͩͫ͐͡͞p͖͖͋ͭ̎̀͝l̷̘̫͚̣̜̤̎̊ͅe̵̗̬̤͍̐̒͑̎a̢͔̞̬͚̤̳͕̦̤͗̃̈͗ͥs̸̻̝̳̫͉̐͆̍̃͜é̢̳̝̼̝͕̈́̀ͅ ̏͘͏̙͙̲͈ş̷̣͚̞̺̻̹̫̖̤͌̆̏̊̃̓ͪô̴̯̜̳̝̤̗̻̝̓ͭ̐ͪ̀ͅm̼̺͇̠̠̲̀̂̋͢e̛̹̰̯̘̜̼͆̐͗͞͠ǒ̢͍̗̬͔̭̼̞͇̿̚n͓̲͕̙͔̙ͦ̑ͤ͌̉͊͊ͤͧͅẹ̴̴̞̮͍̰̻͍̤̊̏̌͒ͩ́̌ͥ͝ ̷̧͕̺̳ͤ͌̑̏ͭ̅̉͘s̩͔̹͛́̚t̡̩̫̺̮̰̼̓ͤ̂ͨ̋̒͋̀ỏ̡͚͈͍̤̺̩̹̦̜͛̃̔ͯ͝p̭̃ͩͭ͆̚ ͚̭̖̜̝̠̀͗̎͢͜͝t̯̣̘̯̘̼̳͂ͤ̈͠h̩͉̣̼̦̳ͮ͂ͫͨ̌ͥ̃̚͢e̫̫͎͉͑̐̿̆̑ͧ̀͘ ̵͉̫͍͓̥̲̺͖̫ͤͦ͘p̛̙͔̮̳͓̲ͫͮͤ͊̀͘a̯̬̤̫̼͉̍̌͂͂ͧͩ̾͜i̶͐̀ͫͯ҉͖̜̦͈͚̥̖̲n̼̙̖͍̿̉ͨͥ̚͜͡ ̡̅͐ͯͩ̂ͣ̓͏҉̖̼̰ͅp̸̢̻̖͖̦̥͖͓͎͚ͦ̋̉͑͝l̛̋ͧͪ̾̚͢͏̺͇͇̰̼̺̳̟ę̬̬̳̺̪ͥ́a̝̬͚͍̹̱̯̼̓̑ͧ̾̎̕ś̰̩̩̯͍͕ͫͤ͆̓̚͠ȩ̭̞͎̱̬̺̙̺͍̔̃͘ ̛͙́̆̽͑̅̍̊͒̑t̶͖͉̠̹̖̓̿ͨ́̚ȩ̜̰̟̭̠̬ͨ͐ͣ̎ͬ̌̕l̓̑̎̊̑̐̍͡͏͎̣͕̜̖͔l͖͈͉̹̬̉̎ͪͣ̆ͅ ̊̈́̈́̿͒ͯ͐ͩ́͏̶͉̥͔̞͎̲̝̖m̸̡̠͇̜̼̤̦͎̜̉ͭ͊̌͢eͧͤ̀͊̾͏̢͚ ̴͔̻̹̮͇̟̣̯̘̃̾ͤ͒͌͋͗ͨͧ͞t̨̻ͭ͂ͤ̿͑ͮ̚ơ͚̠͎̞͕̔̾̉ ̢̢̱̺̺͍̭̜ͯͯs̶͕̲͎̆̆͌̅͟͢t̟̣ͬ̽ọ̠̹̟̤̥̪̬̩̓ͭ̀͆ͥͦ̇͐̍p͕̯̘ͣ̄͌ͣ̑̚ ̴̡͉̝͕̘͑̐̾̆ͧͤ̚ḯͣͦ̊͏̷̥̫̞̪̬̺͈͙̠ ̶̛̰͍̣̖̻̠̔́͟w̏̏͏̢̺̭̠̖̗̟a̢ͫ̏̿͆͒̑̒͐̃͞҉͉̥̙̘͙̪n̷̲͕̗̺̖̱͎̮̆̄̔t͊̔ͯ͏̛̯̹̖̹̞͇̮̺͞ ̷̸̬̞͎̭̮̪̟͆̄͋͆t̰̩̦̘̽ͨ̇ͬ͌ọ͎̱̜̲̟̞̮̎͐̈̑ͧ̋͢ ̷̡̣̫͉͓͙͓̬͍̳̓ͣ̏̔͡s̝̹ͦ͆͗̂̈́ṭ̷̢̨̜̭̖͕̈ͨ̈̇o̙͋͆p̏͂͝͏̖ͅ ̔̓͂͋ͧ̓̉͏͉̖͖̟̦ ̘̻̰͈̲͆͂̇͂͘͢i̟̺̠͇̗͈̫͚͐ͣ͐̕ ̪͙̖̝̞̝̞̙̼ͦ̂ͫ̒͘͢͢w̵̨̧̱̝̉̔̒ͫ̍̈̆ȧ̡͓͖̃͘n̬͕͙̺͎̱̩̻͑͛̈̐̐́̽̀͘t̸͙͔̩̘̦̫̜̖ͭͪ̾ͯ̅̉́ ̌ͭ̾̓̍̈͆͞͏̟̳̘͖̪͈̼ṯ̸̺̯͈͐ͣ̎̄ͬ̇̈́̉ͬő̙͎̙̥̠͖ͪ̈ͪ̄͢ ̴̷̵͓͖̣̘̪̗̭̹͐ͬ̏͋̅͋͐l̛̞̱̠̤̲̤͛ͤ̋̍ͫͥͦ̀̂o̱̿̽ͣ̓͘v̢̥͓̲ͬ͒͊̏͊ͤ̓͌̒͘ę̯̝̝̗̆̓̋̌ͪ̅͡ ̩̲̮̯͓̥̭̺̃̈́̈̋͋͜à̒͑ͧͤ̾̚͏̺̭̬̮͕̻̗͓̜͟g͑̌ͪ̍͏͙̰ͅa̟̦͍͕͈͖̻̬̪͛̊ͯ͒̓ȋ̲̬̮̮̝͕̎́͠n̻̰̈ͧ̌̀ͮͬ̀ ̡͔̣̥ͫ̉ͬͬ͞͞i̛͉̠͔̊͗ ̶̼͎̀͒̍ͩ̒ͩ̚w̷̞͈̱̪͉ͬ̄͐̍̉̾̈͜a͓͓̰ͦ̄̍n̢̖͉̟̭̠̟͇̻̓̅̉̉̌̓̂͊t̸̴͔̼͍͕͓̪̀ͤ̓ͪ ̧̦̘̙͆ͬ̌̈͊̍̋̽͜͞tͭ̒͌ͪ͡͞͏̘͉̙ọ̪̯̙̈̃̿̆̄ͥ͋̂͛͘͢ͅ ̜͈̙́́̑͒̏́͘͟b̟͓̻̫̠ͥ͠ͅȩ̙͎̪͎͓̔́́ͥ̍ͅ ͇̟̣͕̟ͥ̒̾l͙̱̖̬̦̱̘̋͋ͩ͂́ͬͅoͫ̆͐̊ͦ҉̮̠̹͜͞ͅv̛̱͚͈̪̖̪̭̘ͥ͛ͬ̀͡e̼̳͑͌̀͡͞d̨̦̖̤̪͙̥̗̮͚ͬͫͪ̋́ͦͣ̅̓͡ ̸̓ͩ̎̓̅̃̉͟͏̥a̫̿͌ͪ͛͌ͯͯ̏g͍̖̯̙̻̘͍͊̈́͐ͫ̃a̸̝͙̜͔ͭͮͩ̐͢ͅi̧͒̋͐ͮ̚҉̯̥͈̩͚̹͖͟ͅn̬͚͖̹͓̺̩̅̈́ͦ̓̾̌̆̚͜͡

DeatTh coUnT:

Spider Adds: 18
Death beam: 5
Gravity: 1
Temper Tantrum: 8

TOTAL DEATHS (this boss): 32
TOTAL DEATHS (all time): 99

NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Huh, this is weird. My notices show that you have posted another entry for this thread, and it does show up in your post history, but I can't see it here in the thread itself. Is RMN having allergies again?
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Yeah, I remember a more recent post, or at least I think I do. Plus what is up with the title?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
i dON't kNow whAT YoU GUys are TaLKinG abOuT thiS ALL sEEms peRFecTlY NoRmaL to mE
Red_Nova
I can see the new entry just fine? If you can see it in my post history, but not in the thread, then something's up with the site.

Either hard refresh the page, or try to visit the post linked in the OP.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the latest entry didn't show up on the latest posts section in the Community portal, either. Could the title change have caused a bug?

Either way, it's odd that you can't see the post in the thread.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Well, I just read the update, and... Wow. 32 deaths? You really had a bad time.

Just as a question: Is the insane deadliness of this boss mainly a result of your challenge run, or is Freja so unfairly hard no matter how you play the game? And if not, is the fight any fun gameplay-wise if the player is not restricted by Masomonk rules?
Red_Nova
Yeah, I had a bad time purely because of the challenge restrictions. The fight is way, WAY easier if you bring in weapons and armor (in other words, playing the game properly). You can kill the spiders in only one or two hits (and multiple spiders at once depending on your weapon). It's even easier if you summoned the NPC ally the game places right next to the doorway leading to the boss.

Even without the summons, though, the fight itself is a test of situational awareness. So long as you don't focus exclusively on the boss, you won't have too bad a time. You fight plenty of the spider enemies on your way to Freja, so you go in already knowing how to deal with them.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh, I have the same issue as the others. The latest post shows up in your post history here, but isn't in this thread. If I click on the direct link to the post in your post history, it goes to the top of this page in the thread, but the post is still not here.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that it was flagged as spam due to the glitched text you put in.
Red_Nova
BOSS 10: The Duke's Dear Freja

A.K.A. HELL

HP: 4,220 (According to Fextralife Wiki)

I was doing 76 damage per hit with fists.

I want you to do something for me. Seriously, please do it. Don't just keep reading to see where I'm going with this. Do it.

I want you to stand up straight and tall. Slowly count to four and breathe in as much as you possibly can in an even and controlled manner. Once you reach four, I want you to count to four again and exhale all the way out just as smooth a manner as you did breathing in. Don't hold back. Empty those lungs. Repeat these two procedures about three times. Afterwards, breathe in for three counts, and exhale for three counts. Repeat three times. Then inhale/exhale for two counts. Then inhale/exhale for one count about five times. Each time you breathe in, fill your lungs to burst. Each time you breathe out, empty them completely.

You may have noticed that the floor has made sudden and violent contact with your face and you can no longer tell up from down. Congratulations, you now have an idea of what fighting the Duke's Dear Freja is like without any weapons or armor.

To bATtlE!

Oh dear god where do I begin? Well, first things first: This boss commits the cardinal sin of all boss fights by throwing in additional enemies to deal with. Yep. That's right. Adds. This is one of THOSE bosses. If fighting Freja herself wasn't enough, I had to deal with a bunch of spiders blindsiding me when I'm trying to hurt the boss! I would rather drink an entire gallon's worth of laxatives than have to fight another boss with pointless adds again.

Yeah, this is a spider boss, and yeah the adds are all spiders, but I don't care! I'm all for adding in gameplay elements that match the story, but not at the expense of driving me pyscho bonkers crazy with rage from adds being thown in! It would have been cool if the adds made the boss fight interesting in some way, such as being vulnerable to the bosses attacks (specifically the AOE ones of which there were plenty) or being driven into a frenzy whenever the boss cries out in pain or something. But nope. They're just there for the sole purpose of artificially pumping up the difficulty in a way that pisses me off.

The spiders attacked me in groups of three to four at once. On my way to the boss, they were chumps to deal with, but now, it took at least four to five hits to kill one. And you know what WASN'T standing still while I was killing a spider? His spider friends. And they do a lot of damage. A. LOT. OF. DAMAGE. One single hit from a spider took out 90% of my health bar (and remember that I've been pumping up my health with souls since I don't use many other stats in this build). Even without armor, that's just insane. Now imagine four of them attacking at once while I try to whittle down a single spider's health to eliminate all distractions from the boss. Yeah. Not fun. But I had to do it, but more spider will spawn in after a certain amount of time, and I couldn't let this become a battle of attrititon. The spiders had to die as soon as possible.

Oh yeah, speaking of the boss, you wanna know what ELSE wasn't standing still while I was killing a spider? The frickin boss. You may have noticed I spent several paragraphs talking about the adds and not so much talking about the boss itself. Well, I did this because I wanted to frame for you exactly why the adds were such a pain. Freja herself has a few attacks that make her hard to move in and hit, but the most annoying one was her energy beam attack. It comes out of nowhere and isn't like any other move in her arsenal at all, but it covers a wide, wide arc. When I was fighting the extra spiders, Freja would often spam this stupid beam of hers with such frequency that I could often not kill the spider I was currently fighting before needing to dodge. That beam is strong enough to take out 80% of my health.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the Duke's Dear Freja has two heads on either side of her body. The good thing about that is that there are two different spots for you to attack from, but if you think that makes the fight easier, then please redo the excerice I asked of you at the beginning of this entry. Once you damage a head enough, it will straight up fall off, cutting off an avenue for damage. Which is a good metaphor for this entire challenge now that I think about it. I obviously must have cut off my own brain to think that this entire challenge was a good idea.

This was clearly a boss that would be better off fought with a companion. That's why, just outside the door, there is an NPC for you to summon to fight alongside you. But that ain't the challenge, though, so no help from me! No kindness and love for Nova. Only pain. Only rage.

It fun. Hurting fun.

That's what I tell myself as I cry myself to sleep at night, anyway.

RuBbiNg saLt In tHe WoooooooOuNd:

I've got nothing else to say about this fight that hasn't been said already. The boss itself wasn't too bad, but the adds were like a cheese grater against my brain. After dying three times, enough brains had been grated from my skull that I forgot basic math. After seven deaths, I forgot how underwear worked. After sixteen deaths, my current death record for any boss in this challenge was broken and so was my soul.

But hey, that's the last of the Great Soul Bosses! With that, the game becomes a lot more linear, and (hopefully) easier. For now, though, reliving this traumatic experience. Someone give me cupcakes. I need cupcakes.

YES!! GET ME OUT OF THIS HEEEEEEELLLL!

ThE cOnCluSion:

everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain everything hurts life is pain

DeatTh coUnT:

Spider Adds: 18
Death beam: 5
Gravity: 1
Temper Tantrum: 8

TOTAL DEATHS (this boss): 32
TOTAL DEATHS (all time): 99

LockeZ
There, that one showed up. Theory confirmed, I guess, if the only thing you did was remove the spoopy text.

You don't like adds in boss fights? I generally do, since they make you care about being aggressive and having offense, something that most bosses fail to do. Usually only defense/survival matters in boss fights. But I can definitely see how that'd be frustrating in a run where you are refusing to improve your offense as part of some gimmick. Taking them down faster than they spawn probably just isn't an option for you.
Red_Nova
Yeah, all I did was change the text. RMN's spam filter is one boss I will never be able to beat.

I think adds can work for bosses so long as they contribute something interesting to the fight other than simply being another target to take down. For example, a boss that sacrifices adds to heal or to cast a very powerful AOE attack. An example in DS2 that works is the Royal Rat Vanguard, a boss that hides among adds, forcing you to pick it out from the crowd.

Whether it's fun or not is subjective. The point is that the adds are used for something creative and different, rather than just an extra target.

What annoyed me in the Freja fight was that the adds were just there to attack you at different angles. That's it. I've already fought a small army of them on my way to the boss arena, so simply more of the same
Pages: first prev 123 last