DOES ANYONE REMEMBER GAMINGW? (REMEMBERING GAMINGW)

author=Cherry
(Wow, I don't think I ever saw a 27MB RM2k3 map file before.)

(EDIT: I've analyzed it and it contains 2,037,709 lines of event code in just one map - what the actual F - and there are other maps too, not as massive but still, totalling to probably twice that much code overall...)

- It is REALLY that many!?!?!? (Holy mother of Santeria.)

Yeah, the main reason why that one map is so big compared to everything else is because everything that happens in-game, gameplay wise, is all there on that one single map. This includes how the game starts, walking around the board after rolling the dice and collecting GO money, accessing menus, disabling certain processes and events from happening, buying and landing on various properties and all that - the whole shebang!

Now instead of placing a lot of these Events in the Common Events section (which I’m ending up doing for the re-release version) and making things a lot easier on myself (not to mention having everything look a lot cleaner), I was a bit of a goof back then and ended up just putting everything in that one map, which, looking back on it today, looks like a total mess, as I don’t even know what is what and which is which by looking at it now, good god.

It’s funny because I remember my Information Technology teacher back in Grade 10 when we had to code something in Turbo Pascal for a project that, when he was looking through everything, told me that my code was WAAAYYY too long and it was way too confusing to go through and he wanted me to simplify everything to make it a lot easier on the eyes. But my philosophy back then was that, “Hey, if it works, then who the hell cares what it looks like!” …Now I’m starting to fully understand what he meant.

Now I do cut myself a little bit of slack here because this was the first time I did something like this in RPG Maker on such a grand scale, and every other thing I used to make, prior to this, was setup in a very similar way. But the problem is that because that map is over 27 MB’s long, on slower machines, the game would lag up like CRAAAZZZY for a couple of minutes before it would "eventually" kick back into a normal framerate, and sometimes, which happened to me a few times when I used to play this on my older PC, the game would just flat out crash, and that sucked...especially if you were winning.

Now, in regards to the actual board map in the re-release version, I (so far) have managed to whittle it down to just under 1.93 MB’s as it now only contains just a few events on the map this time while everything else is tucked away neatly under the Common Events section. So far, it’s made my life a LOT easier.

author=Cherry
@Addit: It's a really cool game, and looks like a tremendous amount of work.

Why thank you Cherry.

And it wouldn’t have been such a tremendous amount of work if I just simplified things next time. I really got to stop doing things the long, arduous way.
To be fair, those 2 million lines include "<>" and stuff like ": end case". But still.
author=chongjasmine
I remember gamingw, I also remember the don old rm2k forum. I was a college student, then.

Oh man, that takes me back! Good ol' ezBoard! 2000-2001 era RG Maker ezBoard forums were the shit.

It's really hilarious that I recall a lot of people left Don's ezBoard forums because they were too toxic and went to Gaming World because it was a really chill place at the time. Fast forward several years later and Gaming World itself became the toxic community that people were leaving. Funny how things kind of come full circle like that on the internet.
i cant wait until rmn becomes too toxic
We’ve had a couple of close calls back in the day, but it seems like we’re back to Toxic Level Green (…for now).
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
in hindsight, we should have added a monopolo parody to vacant skies
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Fuck it, since were all reminiscing again about the GW days I might as well share some of my perspective.

I was very much a young adolescent boy who was shown from my older brothers friend the Rpg Maker games he was making. He's now actually a software engineer making indie games in his spare time, very smart man. Anyway that peaked my curiosity so I went on my MASSIVE 25 gig HDD dial up computer and googled Rm2k. First site I found was actually Sky Tower Games which was small but had a great collection of now old school or even classic RM games. But back then everyone had that affiliates section and I clicked on the little mario pipe one which led me to the GamingW site which was just incredible to my little mind. Discovered so many great games and also my first forum experience.

Not the best first impression of a forum I'm not gonna lie, people just seemed to be shitting on others half the time BUT... The fucking creativity I saw in those SS topics and peoples game topics astounded me. See I never grew up with a SNES or anything so I never even knew where these tiles came from so they all looked very original to me haha. Creators like Lazarous & Neophyte, JKB, Teo,DGuy etc just showcasing what this program could pull off if you thought about just game design instead of what the next anime inspired FF rip off will be.

I mainly hung out in G&D and the gaming sections. I didn't participate on GW as much in terms of commenting & discussion but I checked the site basically everyday to just see the games and RM discussion on everything. I will say I witnessed just a lot of stupid attacks on people who's games "couldn't exist" or just absolutely tearing apart the use of RTP or newbies in the scene when they tried to showcase anything. It's been a while but for some reason I remember seeing Maladrothim(Brandon) just getting so much grief over any SS he posted of Wilfred the Hero by various members claiming he was just straight up lying about his game. Same with like Legend of the Philosopher's Stone & a few others before they came out. There was just a lot of elitism going about but it was outdone in my eyes by the shear creative work being showcased by the community.
This is a great summary Tau. Thank you for posting this.
author=Tau
It's been a while but for some reason I remember seeing Maladrothim(Brandon) just getting so much grief over any SS he posted of Wilfred the Hero by various members claiming he was just straight up lying about his game.

Aw man, I don't remember that at all and I find it kind of upsetting to know that he was crapped on because he was a genuinely friendly and helpful guy. When I was being shit on by GW members for making fan games, I remember he was one of the ones who was supportive of me. I can't fully recall what he did for me now because it's been well over a decade, but it was enough for me to put him in the special thanks section of the credits in my game at the time.
Fascinating thread. I remember so much about this site... it was a formative place for me, mainly reading the debates. I grew up in a small midwestern city, GW was a portal to so many different voices as far as politics went.

I got into it originally for the game making. Well, I was never really any good at it... but it taught me how to code at a young age, and that's paying dividends now in my 30s I guess. Funny, I never made any games, I just liked making the websites.

Still, it's so cool reading through here, seeing familiar names. I was not at all any big member of the community. I remember Bart said something nice about something I was working on. But I remember there was a lot of cruelty. It was the OG shitposting that's so derivative now. I remember "lief"? Some cool music project... a gay anime avatar guy (ubiqitous on twitter now!!) whose discussions helped me come out myself eventually. The Habbo Hotel pranks were so funny. Who did those, can't remember... What else?

I remember always being moved by Steel's writing, his views, passion, throughout the years. RIP. I was devastated to learn about what happened. He wrote a really beautiful journal about his experiences and reflections, very moving. Anyways...

So many names here, like living characters in a book. Thanks for cataloging the memories. (Edit: i had a really embarrassing username, "Sauhnik"