MARREND PLAYS SUIKODEN 4!

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=Light_Bowser
This is the prequel of entire series right? talking about forgiveness mode, its also happen on Suikoden 2

Different rune. The True Rune in Suikoden 2 was really two halves of the True Rune of Beginning - Black Sword and Bright Shield. Pretty much life/death aspects of a whole, split in half. Bright Shield takes life from enemy to grant life to allies, whilst Black Sword takes life to grant death. They're similar to the Rune of Punishment, but not the same.

Rune of Punishment is it's own True Rune and it's power of forgiveness isn't active all the time - it consumes an amount of souls before it changes to forgiveness but it also requires your character to show forgiveness in a big way before it will unlock that side of it.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Yeah, the ending of this game never really made much sense to me, so, thanks for that, Liberty! No clue how, or if, playing Suikoden Tactics would have cleared things up for me, seeing that I never played the thing.

The precautionary measure of sending a keeled-over Lazlo out to sea makes a bit of sense. The thought-process there is that, in the case he was dead, the Rune would not immediately attach itself to someone, and start the cycle over. They might not even know there is a "forgiveness" aspect, or think it would choose to lay dormant because of that aspect. Though, by sending him off like that, would that not present an opportunity for the Rune to be passed off to whoever happened upon Lazlo's burial boat? It's a hard choice either way, I suppose.

Speaking of True Runes with dual aspects, I've been thinking a bit on that. Souleater's aspects are "life" and "death". There's a Darkness Rune in Suikoden 2 that's a child of it's "death" aspect. We also see both the "sword" and "shield" aspects of the Rune of the Beginning in that game. Suikoden 5 introduces us to the Rune of Condemnation, which is probably a child of the "atonement" aspect of the Rune of Punishment. It also gives us the Sun Rune, which... probably represents the "warmth" of the sun (child aspect: the Dawn Rune?), but also it's "fury" (child aspect: the Twilight Rune?)? The main reason I'm thinking the Dawn Rune is the "warmth" aspect is based on Arshtat's behavior, and it's the Rune that's missing. If I'm right, the "fury" aspect can show itself more, and that's what's being relayed in Arshtat's moments of madness. This is merely conjecture on my part, however. The game clearly wants us to think that the Sun Rune itself causes madness, and it takes both of it's children to keep that madness in check.

Er, anyway, the thought in my head is that there should be a child for Souleater's "life" aspect, as well as there being a child for the Rune of Punishment's "forgiveness" aspect. It might be possible that the Resurrection Rune is the "life" aspect of Souleater, though it's never strictly defined that way. As for the "forgiveness" aspect of Punishment, I don't know. Possibly both of these things could have been explored if there was ever a Suikoden 6, or onward. However...

;_;
I'm not sure that Souleater has a life aspect - it is purely a rune that destroys by taking the lives of those around it to fuel it's power. Unlike the Rune of Punishment, which does have an 'off-switch', it doesn't - it's always 'on'. It's more like the hungry hungry hippo rune. XD

The Sun rune is actually a special case due to the power of it. The sheer power is enough to destroy a continent, thus why it has two stablising child runes but, bar the unknown runes having anything like that, it's the only case of the child runes actually having power over the main true rune in any way.

As for Shield/Sword, remember that they were both one rune that was split in two. Neither actually gives eternal life to their wielders, so Jowy and Riou will eventually die of old age despite wielding the two halves of the rune. Which is interesting, really, as the same sort of thing went on with the Gate rune (Leknaat and Windy's rune) except they managed to live for centuries. Then again, they might be like Jeane who has a mystery to their background that allows them to have lived that long, instead of the influence of their rune.

Another rune to think about when it comes to child runes is the Rune of Night, aka Star Dragon Sword. It's the opposite of the Sun Rune (though one could argue that the Blue Moon rune could also be that - where Sun exerts an external power, Blue Moon deals with the physical, turning the bearer into an eternal vampire of great physical strength but requiring blood to survive).

Honestly, there's a lot of questions when it comes to the runes and how they work with/against each other. The ones we have the most information on are the elemental runes, as we know they form a 5 point formation of strengths and weaknesses within their own group, but also have many child runes.

And this leaves out where the various elemental (or otherwise) weapon runes come from OR the Ressurection rune, too. (Is there a true rune of life? It could be the opposite of Soul Eater.)

So many questions. So many theories.

Also, here's a really good fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11296052/1/Suikoden-VI
It's basically the author's take on Suikoden VI, the Resurrection True Rune and another country, and is closely tied to Falena in location. A good read.
Pages: first prev 12 last