REMAKES GALORE!

Pages: first prev 123 last
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Deckiller
nah not cynical. ff15 is probably overrated but still pretty good. ff7 was pretty bad

I agree. A lot of what made FFVII memorable was when it was released. Many people played it who had never played a game with a story before and so, regardless of its quality, they were blown away by it. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed.
Strongly disagree in terms of quality. Yes, some people particularly remember it because it was their first or one of their first RPGs or story-centric games, and some people who play it now would probably be disappointed. But it wasn't my first RPG, or even my fifteenth, and I still consider the writing to be on a different level from most RPGs which have come out since.

I re-played it again just recently with my girlfriend, who hadn't played it before, and she agreed that the narrative and characterization stood way above most of the games we'd played together.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The thing about the FF7 remake is that I've a funny feeling that it will be several console generations from now before we see it. If at all! I mean, with what I can tell, they teased a tech demo for the PS3, and they essentially did it again, with some updates/tweaks, for PS4?

*Edit: Heck, at the rate they are going, the FF7 remake might be out about ten years from now, when the original game turns 30! I mean this comment to be taken with sarcasm, but, I really wonder about this sometimes.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Desertopa
Strongly disagree in terms of quality. Yes, some people particularly remember it because it was their first or one of their first RPGs or story-centric games, and some people who play it now would probably be disappointed. But it wasn't my first RPG, or even my fifteenth, and I still consider the writing to be on a different level from most RPGs which have come out since.

I re-played it again just recently with my girlfriend, who hadn't played it before, and she agreed that the narrative and characterization stood way above most of the games we'd played together.
A big part of it is how overhyped it is though. I hadn't played 7 when it came out and after hearing everyone talking about how it had the most amazing, deepest story in an RPG ever I was really excited about it, and it didn't come close to meeting the expectations that everyone had built up.

With the remake, a lot of people are going to have that experience.
I do agree Final Fantasy VII is often the victim of its own hype. I think it was legitimately very good, and definitely groundbreaking, but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and once that ground has already been broken a lot of players aren't going to experience the sort of novelty it once offered.

The prospect of Square Enix remaking it is honestly depressing to me, because they've proven repeatedly that they don't grasp the sort of qualities which made it stand out so much in the first place, and I have no confidence in their ability to replicate that quality no matter how much money they pour into it.
With the dream of a remake coming true, there is a LOT to be concerned and hyped about simultaneously. There are rumors of PS5 coming out before 2020 and it may be moved over to it eventually. Since the game is episodic, there are a lot of things that both concern me and have me excited about this method. I know Nomura is a great developer, but will they be able to recatch that magic once before? We'll see eventually, but with the trailers we've gotten so far, I'm very impressed.

Some of the many things that worry me about this is...
  • The adult material...you guys know what I'm talking about
  • How will the story be divided
  • Will the previous save transfer over to future episodes?
  • Will some Materia be scrapped due to some of them being designed around turn-based combat?
  • Will Vincent and Yuffie be mandatory characters?
  • What will the weapon fights be like?
  • Will we be able to play as Sephiroth or Zack in Cloud's flashbacks?
  • How long will each episode be split apart
  • Will there be a future release that will blend all 3 games into one?
  • Gold Saucer

I will be honest, at first, I did not get a lot about FF7 until I actually played through it a few times, played Crisis Core, and watched Advent Children. Not only, that but there is Dirge of Cerberus(never got to play), and Before Crisis. With the engine they have, is it possible to create small DLC episodes with Zack, the Turks, or even a Sephiroth DLC? Till this day, Square is literally still adding on to FF15 with episodes based on Noctis' party. So, why not do the same for 7? I'm not asking for them to do an entire Crisis Core remake(which would be great if made in the FF7R engine), but just a series of episodes to expand it.

Not that any of these are ever going to happen, but I'm gonna toss some ideas out there anyway...
  • Episode AVALANCHE(A brief prequel showing how the group formed)
  • Episode Zack(The chunk towards the end of his story)
  • Episode Sephiroth/SOLDIER
  • Episode Turks
  • Episode Wutai

The thing is, FF7's characters are so well developed, that nearly each one could have their own side content(hence why some got their own games), but these could easily be told in the main game as well. I'd rather have content built in than have to pay $15.00 for something that last like a few hours.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Sailerius
A big part of it is how overhyped it is though. I hadn't played 7 when it came out and after hearing everyone talking about how it had the most amazing, deepest story in an RPG ever I was really excited about it, and it didn't come close to meeting the expectations that everyone had built up.

Have you seen the ridiculously self-important and narcissistic trailer where there's narration that starts describing a falling star which changed the world and how there's been an age of silence ever since, and at first you think it's talking about the plot, some kind of sequel to FF7 or soemthing, but then gradually you realize the narration is literally talking about how important the release of FF7 was and how there hasn't been a single notable game released since, but now the wait is finally over because at last we're receiving the only game that can ever stand up to FF7: another copy of FF7

I was too young at the game's original release to appreciate the context. There was no dynamic shift for me because the first games I played were on the playstation.

I hope it still has horror and expletives.

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I grew up with Atari, Commodore 64, Nintendo, and Sega Genesis. From there, I got Nintendo 64. Then I got a Playstation. FFVII was the first game I ever played on PS. Final Fantasy VII was the first game I played on Playstation. To be perfectly honest, the difference between the Playstation and the Nintendo 64 was night and day.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I played FF7 after playing Phantasy Star 4 and found the former very lacking. I quit playing once I realized that I didn't give a shit about anyone except the wolflion and the cat on a plushie.

That's my FF7 story, thank you for reading.
author=Sooz
I played FF7 after playing Phantasy Star 4 and found the former very lacking. I quit playing once I realized that I didn't give a shit about anyone except the wolflion and the cat on a plushie.

That's my FF7 story, thank you for reading.

I'm not gonna lie, that is the best story I've heard in a LONG time XD. Very descriptive. I really like the part about the cat on a plushie. I remember a friend and I generalized the cast. He called Cloud a test tube baby,Vincent an emo vampire, Tifa a busty bartender lady,and a few other things lol.

But yeah, I would love to see a remake of Phantasy Star 4. I loved the Comic Book cutscenes to death. The MMO series look fun, but we haven't seen a mainstream Phantasy Star game in AGES. I think the last mainstream one I heard about was PS Zero for DS.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Sailerius

That was my experience, too. It certainly didn't help that all the big/shocking moments had been spoiled for me ten times over before I ever sat down to play it. Now that it's getting remade and will have a chance to get an entirely new audience, people who never had a chance to play it or even be around while it was still making waves are gonna get spoiled. Sad.

I played FF7 and Legend of Dragoon at roughly the same time, and enjoyed the latter faaaar more.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
TBH if your story can't stand up to spoilers then your story is shitty.

I feel like the only thing I'd want changed in a PS4 remake is make the item system less of a pain in the ass. Well, that and some thorough proofreading. Everything else is fine IMO.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
So are all mystery stories shitty?
Xenogears
Link's Awakening
Adventure Island
Parasite Eve
Metal Saga
Sooz
author=Red_Nova
So are all mystery stories shitty?

If The story's only appeal comes from the mystery, sure. A non-shitty story has other things to keep the audience engaged, like compelling characters or at least a lot of interesting clues the viewer can pick up on repeated viewings.
Pages: first prev 123 last