TAGGING USERS IN POSTS

Pages: first 12 next last
I've definitely brought this up in the distant past, but here I am again!

I think a neat feature would be being able to tag users in posts via an @ and their usernames. It could be shown as a Notice (with the option to disable, obviously) or in a new Notices-type tab just for mentions. I'm aware that the Notices system is code from another era and this might be impossible, but who knows?

It'd be nice to be able to tag people when responding to their posts or screenshots to let them know they've been mentioned, which is handy for threads you might have forgotten about or games you're not subscribed to.

Also, all the cool social media kids are doing it
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Kaempfer
all the cool social media kids are doing it

shud b # tho

j/k I'm still in favor of something like this. Sometimes I wander away from a thread and forget to ever look back, unknowing if I'd been responded to. We'd just have to make a more intuitive way to copy someone's username into their post. You can't double-click to highlight it; the only easy way is to click on the left and drag across, but again: unintuitive.

Could we build it into quotes, so we know when we're quoted?
Well it IS possible to Subscribe to threads for hali's issue.

And on the other hand if you really want the attention of another member, why not just PM them? (that's even a different tab than regular "notices")
halibabica
PM wouldn't quite cut it if the discussion is meant to be public.

There's another forum I go to where you're automatically subbed to threads you reply in. I've found it very handy myself, but making it a feature that could be disabled would probably be best.

It'd still be nice if quotes or mentions sent a notice to the affected user. It could draw their attention to a topic they weren't aware of. Maybe like:

@Shinan: dude get a load of this shit
Add @everyone

Make our notifications a nightmare.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=SgtMettool
Add @everyone

Make our notifications a nightmare.

@everyone is the bane of my existence XD
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=halibabica
PM wouldn't quite cut it if the discussion is meant to be public.

Sure it would.
PM: Hey, dude, wanted to see your thoughts on this (link to thread/post in question)

Boom, done.

There's another forum I go to where you're automatically subbed to threads you reply in. I've found it very handy myself, but making it a feature that could be disabled would probably be best.

You know there's an unsubscribe button, right?
halibabica
It's a convenience thing, Sooz. Currently, yes, you can subscribe to threads and receive notices for them. If it were automatic, you wouldn't have to do that.

But then it may be the reverse problem for some people. They may not want to receive notices for every thread they reply to, and then it'd be annoying for them to have to UNsubscribe every time.

Thus, having a checkbox in the profile for either/or would be nice for everybody.

Likewise, sending a PM to get someone's attention is a lot clunkier than putting an @ before their name in a post.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Just don't include the @everyone tag in your HTML. Why is that hard?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=halibabica
But then it may be the reverse problem for some people. They may not want to receive notices for every thread they reply to, and then it'd be annoying for them to have to UNsubscribe every time.

I'm sorry, I don't really see the massive inconvenience of clicking a button. I mean, if you really super don't want to hear what other people have to say on a forum thread, why are you posting in it?

Likewise, sending a PM to get someone's attention is a lot clunkier than putting an @ before their name in a post.

From the other direction, I'm much, much more comfortable with the idea of receiving an occasional PM, rather than offering the occasional low-effort troll the opportunity to spam my notices with mentions.
Sooz
PM: Hey, dude, wanted to see your thoughts on this (link to thread/post in question)

Boom, done.

YES BUT for example:
You post something in the screenshot topic and are looking for feedback. People post feedback for other screenshots, but not yours, and after a day you stop checking. Then, on the second day, someone posts feedback for you, but you forget about it and don't check back until a week later, at which point the feedback aimed at you is three pages deep and you don't see it. OR you just get a notification right away because someone added a @. If I post feedback for three people I don't want to send three PMs.

Also, the problem with PMing people every time you want to address them directly is that it completely and totally defeats the purpose of using a public forum.

I'm not talking about some instagram shit where you just respond with nothing but a tagged name to alert someone to a post's presence and, indeed, I'd want it made against the rules (like responding with nothing but a .gif is), but if you're having a public conversation and part of your post is directly aimed at one or two people, tags could be very useful.

@halibabica (SEE WHAT I DID THERE)
#s could be used as well, although their implementation would be trickier and require another level. Gamepages could be assigned/claim a hashtag and references to games you're subbed to could appear in notifications. Like, to use the screenshot topic as an example again, if I post a screenshot and tag is #evoker then everyone subbed to my gamepage would get a notification.
As long as this wasn't abused/spammed, I'd agree that it would be very useful and help to modernize RMN a bit. XD

Can we get a rundown of what it would actually take from someone who handles the code? I'd be willing to donate money to certain features being added to this site, if that's what the programmer(s) need.
halibabica
It wouldn't just be clicking one button, though. If you were automatically subscribed to every thread to you posted in, but didn't want to be, you'd have to remember to click that button every time you post. That's why auto-sub would be handy as an optional thing. Those who want it could have it; those who don't, it'd be just the way it already is.

I would assume you could block trolls who were calling you out excessively, and such things would definitely be amended into the site rules. All I'm saying is it would be much more convenient to type than to send a PM. Which do you think takes longer: typing '@Sooz', or clicking your name => selecting PM => navigating to the PM page => copy/pasting the link => typing a message to you? It's no contest.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
^seriouspost

Just go to a different tab and chill :P
Sooz
I mean all I'm seeing is potential for idiots to make things annoying, with pretty slim benefit for the average user who actually wants to participate in discussion.

author=Kaempfer
YES BUT for example:
You post something in the screenshot topic and are looking for feedback. People post feedback for other screenshots, but not yours, and after a day you stop checking. Then, on the second day, someone posts feedback for you, but you forget about it and don't check back until a week later, at which point the feedback aimed at you is three pages deep and you don't see it.

So... in this use case, you're posting in the screenshot thread, ONLY for yourself, and don't participate otherwise, and can't be bothered to go back and check?

Also, the problem with PMing people every time you want to address them directly is that it completely and totally defeats the purpose of using a public forum.

Not like the person in your example who doesn't want to contribute to the crit beyond "let's talk about my thing."

I'm not talking about some instagram shit where you just respond with nothing but a tagged name to alert someone to a post's presence and, indeed, I'd want it made against the rules (like responding with nothing but a .gif is), but if you're having a public conversation and part of your post is directly aimed at one or two people, tags could be very useful.

See for me, I'm not worried about abuse by everyday users, but by the handful of dedicated douches who come in every once in a while and try to fuck things up. I can see in my crystal ball masses of spam threads consisting of just @s as far as the eye can see. That, and people pestering some of the more popular users to come weigh in on EVERY SINGLE THING when maybe they're avoiding that thread for a reason.

Maybe I'm just an old lady, but I feel like it's really, really easy to just check your notifs once a day and skim the thread, rather than making it easier for third parties to pester you.
Edit: what the hell? It spammed my post 100 times over. XD
halibabica
In a world without mods, this would be a problem. The reality is we would shut down idiots like that just the same as we always do. Most forum goers are not on a mission to get themselves banned, so I think you're being overly-cautious here.
Sooz
author=halibabica
In a world without mods, this would be a problem. The reality is we would shut down idiots like that just the same as we always do. Most forum goers are not on a mission to get themselves banned, so I think you're being overly-cautious here.

I think you've missed the antics of a couple of our devoted trolls.
halibabica
Where are they now? I'll give you a hint: they're DEAD.

We can't let paranoia hold us back from making the site more functional.
Pages: first 12 next last