[POLL] SO WHO WANTS ONE MORE MCBACON JAM?

Poll

McBacon Jam 5? - Results

Yes!
57%
Nah.
23%
Retire McBacon Jam and go straight to something fresh,
18%

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=kentona
author=kory_toombs
With all the failed events, not a chance.
like, all 2 or 3 out of the 8 pages of events we've had?

I was gonna say, there's been 2 in recent history - Befuddle and RMNlympics. Lympics is slowly being worked on still, and befuddle is the seventh in a line of successful one-man-hosted community 'events'. So really, there's one, and it's still being worked on. Slowly.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

What's happening with this event then? (Seems like another Befuddle Quest to me.)

https://rpgmaker.net/events/stupify/

+Whatever happened to the last game I made when I did decide to join a McBacon Jam? It was never finished or released on RMN if you're wondering.

I'm 100% against doing community events until all of my previous attempts at doing so end up going somewhere. Otherwise, what am I doing with my time?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Sounds like a personal issue instead of an event one.
^ this is not a great attitude to take when Stupify and RMNlympics were literally abandoned by their hosts, and while it's technically not possible for a McBacon to be "abandoned" because there's no actual work to it, it's not a great look when even the series' titular subject isn't willing to participate in it.

It /is/ a violation of trust to pull stuff like that and it /is/ super discouraging to those involved. I can't speak towards whatever group people entered with re:kory's stuff, but there is this sort of attitude that abandoned communityprojects/events/groupgames whatever is the norm.

e: @Kentona I don't really count the last McBacon as negative haha, we specifically cancelled early to avoid stuff like this because it was clear where it was headed
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=psy_wombats
^ this is not a great attitude to take when Stupify and RMNlympics were literally abandoned by their hosts, and while it's technically not possible for a McBacon to be "abandoned" because there's no actual work to it, it's not a great look when even the series' titular subject isn't willing to participate in it.

Oh I still intend on having a role in this besides running it, it's just that I won't be working with a team on a game in it, assuming of course anything does come of this discussion.
I will release BQ7 one day
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Yeah, the dropped event games are pretty bad, and I definitely think the organizers should be taken to task for it. However, McBacon Jams are not the same as events games. The onus is on the participants to complete a project, not the organizers (unless you count sticking to deadlines, which is fair enough). McBacon Jams have been a success in the past, and saying that nobody else should be given the chance to participate because of mistakes made in other events that can't be made in a McBacon Jam is pretty silly to me.

author=psy_wombats
it's not a great look when even the series' titular subject isn't willing to participate in it.

How? Running a game jam involves a different set of responsibilities than participating in it. Zeig may only has time to manage one set of responsibilities. Unless I'm blind and missed where he directly stated he wasn't interested in participating, it's not good to assume general unwillingness when he said he wasn't planning on participating.
author=Deckiller
I do. I haven't had a successful event participation since 2015. two thousand fifteen....

We'd kill it. Let's do this! Haha
Yeah, sorry, Ziggs participating as a dev probably isn't relevant, except to say that the audience for this particular event is probably the 15~20 people that are in every event. I've gotten two really excellent games out of this series so I'd hate to poison the well with towards community participation by firing off something that people are lukewarm about.

The other point though -- I mean I don't think it's fair to describe a suspicion towards an abandonware/abandonevent problem as a personal one rather than a community one.
I've really only been in two events as part of a team. Winteruption teamed with Piano which was a great experience.

And the last McBacon Jam that I was part of with Frogge, Trihan, and Jereon_Sol. Which wasn't a particularly bad experience but we got blogged down with silly arguments over things that personally didn't matter to me. If I had been the project lead I would have broken the work flow up differently.

I think part of the problem with teams is to many hands in the cookie jar syndrome. Joint efforts are tough like that because everyone has a vision and no one wants to give up their version or step up to direct the team's efforts.

I am sure some other experiences have been worse though.

As for the abandoned events... I can't say since I was a regular it aeems like only two of the many events I've seen did not get completed in proper order / timely manner. Again just my experience.

As for abandoned projects from teams in a events.. I guess it really depends on what you put into them. Nothing says a project can't be completed after the fact too.

I guess that is where the whole personal vs community problem comes into play because for me, personally, it hasn't been an issue.
Red_Nova
author=psy_wombats
The other point though -- I mean I don't think it's fair to describe a suspicion towards an abandonware/abandonevent problem as a personal one rather than a community one.

I'd agree with this sentence in most cases. Again, though, McBacon Jams don't need someone to take assets that participants submitted and complete a game with them. The only suspicion that makes sense in this situation is if you're afraid the team will fall apart. While an understandable suspicion, that's a personal issue and not an event one.

Kory lamented about not having a completed project the last time he entered McBacon Jam. Unfortunately, failed projects aren't uncommon, especially working online with people you've never worked with before. If you're not going to participate unless you're sure something's going to work out, then that's like refusing to roll dice unless you're sure you won't get snake eyes. There's always a chance you can just get unlucky and things fall apart.

I've only participated in one McBacon Jam, and that ended up falling apart. It wasn't the event's fault. It was problems with my team's communication. That's not the fault of the event. Honestly, while I don't have the time to participate in a McBacon Jam in the near future, I really hope it happens.
I have torn apart the very fabric of RMN with my inability to commit
author=kentona
I have torn apart the very fabric of RMN with my inability to commit

Atta boy!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
For my own part, there were maybe two full games between the four McBacon jams I've been involved in? That's not necessarily a bad thing. Though, I remember the last jam was during a particularly busy time of year for me, and I could barely do much of anything. I recall how Jeroen_Sol kept apologizing about how he couldn't contribute more to Myriad Cypher (McBacon #1's game), and that's... more or less where I was with Mechanima.

So, bottom line, for what it's worth, May/June would work a lot better for me if McBacon #5 rolls around. I only have VX Ace, though, so, that might limit who all I can work with.
I will help you Ziggy. I need to start pulling my weight around here, maybe I can convince Libby to let me help run some events around here to get the sour taste out.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Alright, 19 yeses so Ill settle it at that to run MBJ5 then. Im gonna do this a bit differently so people have a better chance of getting what they want.

1.From now (as of this posting) until the end of May, All you folks will need to worry about is getting a team and making sure said team will work out for you. Get social, break some ice, setup a standard operating procedure for some possible issues ect.

2. To ensure this doesn't interfere with other peoples plans and still provides a good amount of time for teams, this will be an event running in the background for 3 months (Beginning of June to the end of August). On top of that, if another event comes up and you have the slightest desire to take part, I must strongly insist you give that event priority. I'm stretching it to 3 months to ensure there's a little conflict for event choices as possible, to a point (I'm mostly taking into account events on here and IGMC if that pops up during the summer).

3. Since I wont be joining a team for this, I will be deciding on a special badge for best/ most interesting entry most likely.

Let me know if there are any concerns, and more importantly, make sure read over point 2 at least a few times.
19:14 is not a good ratio to be basing anything on...
ESBY
extreme disappointment
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Zeigfried_McBacon
2. To ensure this doesn't interfere with other peoples plans and still provides a good amount of time for teams, this will be an event running in the background for 3 months (Beginning of June to the end of August). On top of that, if another event comes up and you have the slightest desire to take part, I must strongly insist you give that event priority. I'm stretching it to 3 months to ensure there's a little conflict for event choices as possible, to a point (I'm mostly taking into account events on here and IGMC if that pops up during the summer).

I understand why you want to have this in the background, but I can see this causing potential issues. If a team member agrees to do an essential part of a game, but gets more interested in another event and leaves, it could cause big problems for a team.
I feel like a 1 month jam with a limit of 2-3 people per team is pretty reasonable. 2 months tops, the longer you stretch something the more hectic it gets I've noticed. Same with large teams, it's hard for some people to find a group they'd fit in with when all the work has to be divided so much, plus the chance of random cornflakes falling on the table goes up with a bigger bowl.
Pages: first prev 123 next last