WHAT IS THE BEST RPG MAKER ALTERNATIVE

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=Rave
Thanks. Though I never was able to get into RPG Toolkit, dunno really why. Maybe RPG Wizard will be different.

//edit: Remembered why. It requires actually coding stuff and doesn't have convenient events or other kind of visual scripting. And it's weird all-around

There is a battle system and Mwin system in development so you don't need to code those systems
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Solarus
http://www.solarus-games.org/

For making action RPGs like Zelda. It's free and can actually be used to make commercial games. (Though I think everyone that uses it just makes a Link to the Past clone.)

Though it's probably not as easy as RPG Maker and requires more scripting. The engine uses Lua scripting.
A lot of the big impressive games that were being made in RPG Maker like Glitched and Virgo vs The Zodiac have been moved over to Gamemaker.
author=visitorsfromdreams
A lot of the big impressive games that were being made in RPG Maker like Glitched and Virgo vs The Zodiac have been moved over to Gamemaker.

Poor MV is apparently the go-to engine to make your demo to hold folks over until you get crowdfunded.

@OP: Not much I can recommend besides Wolf RPG Editor, or OHRRPGCE, the latter of which doesnt have a whole lot of flexibility and your games will look very samey.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
OHRRPGCE is still my favorite, but I honestly haven't been in touch with RPG Makers for a long time.
author=Rave
author=SgtMettool
Super Mario Maker
I'm looking for (j)RPG making software, not platformer making one.

Hey, I'm actually building the "Super mario maker for RPG's" for several years now :D.

It's free, and works in your browser (HTML5). Check it out at http://rpgplayground.com

We've got a small but really passionate community. Take a look at "The Curious Case of Lierra" made by Aura, to get a feel of what the engine can do.

And here is a screenshot of how easy it is to include action based combat:

Also, feel free to drop in our Discord at any time, we are a really friendly bunch! :)
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
This looks quite interesting, koonsolo. I might check it out soon .

Imo Game Maker is a different beast. It's a very versatile beast and I probably wouldn't want to code a cplex jrpg in it.
Havent heard many of these, I am stuck to rpg maker like a captain to his beloved titanic...
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
I like Wolf RPG Editor, but its interface can be confusing to newcomers.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=Gretgor
I like Wolf RPG Editor, but its interface can be confusing to newcomers.

Nah, I would survive its interface (frankly it's something between RM95 and rm2k/3), but the fact that it isn't fully translated (some strings are hardcoded into the exe so you need hex editor to fully translate it) really puts me off. And combined with the fact that the documentation had received only Google Translate-level translation...
I moved over to Godot
It is pretty much limitless.
I really wonder if people would still think so about RM if they tried RGSS based games on mkxp for better speed or even my engine HiddenChest with many additional features included already.

I know, this is shameless promotion but it's still true! I've got a whole thread talking about it on another forum section.
Pages: first prev 12 last