MISAO VOTING 2018

Pages: first 12 next last
Since no one made a topic yet. You can now https://rpgmaker.net/misaos/2018/vote for what you think are the best RM things ever for 2018. Please vote and you'll get a digital pin to put on to say you voted (not really). Looks like Aria's Story is making the big splash in a lot of categories, Final Fantasy vs Dog kind of the comedy/joke fav as expected (Year of the Dog is a lock in). PSYCHE Locke is cruising in some categories as well. Eldritch Law is poised for the demo category. Have not even heard of Shattered Hourglass but it's popping on some nominations as well, has a crapton of downloads.

Personally I'm pulling for Off the Table to win something, and GRIMPS a little technical marvel I enjoyed. I realize I have not actually played any of the games on the GOTY list... but there's about a month I believe for me to change that.

So please discuss your hopefuls and surprises this year. Your misao dreams and who you're voting for.

Here's to a bold 2019!
Oh damn, not a single game I nominated even made it to the voting stage! That's a little sad, but there are some great games in the final list still.

There's some tough competition for the Summoner of Sounds Nomination.
The nomination count is a bit disappointing to look at honestly, but at least I can be happy with how well this aligns for me
I had my fingers crossed Shooty would make it in for the most promising demo but no dice, ah well. Congrats to all the nominees!
You know, you really should get something for voting; a digital pin, along with a free cookie, doesn’t sound so bad, actually!

I only dabbled in a few games this year when I was taking a break from the site, like Final Fantasy V.S. Dog, Fire RMNblem, and Grimps to a name a few, but a lot of these other games I really don’t know that much about them…well, except for maybe Aria’s Story because of how many times it popped up on the front page during most of the year, so it’s kinda like you had to know a little about it because of how many times it popped up.

But – whatever - I ended voting anyway. And, like a blind fool that knows almost NOTHING about the candidates he’s voting for, I just ended up voting for what I thought looked cool and fit the bill.

- The system works! :D
Most of the games I nominated haven't made it to the voting stage as well. I played quite a whole lot of RM games this year but from what is currently nominated, I've only played three at all and I don't know much about the rest. That said, I voted for these three games because at least I know them and they were fun for me.

Greetings,
Tw0Face
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Next year, I'll give a cookie to everyone who votes for my game.
Hmm....if only I got my game done earlier in the year. Though it would probably still be unknown. *Ponders hard*
…Holy shit. I didn't think FFvD would actually get nominated. Seriously, guys, thank you, I'm speechless.

I'm surprised by Eldritch Law too, there's a lot of games I thought that would get swept under the rug this year.

Aria's story, I believe is made by Lydia and Rindre who I mentioned in that converting video thread, awhile back (she has a really cool .avi logo for her rpgmaker games she did in Adobe Ae). She, along with a couple of other familiar faces host a really cool rpgmaker community on a pixel horror channel discord. If you want to see what todays rpgmaker games look like, definitely check their stuff out -- these guys are doing amazing stuff, just in terms of art and creativity, there's absolutely no question why Aria's story got nominated, in terms of art, it's spectacular. I sometimes wish I could go back in time, 10 years, and just show people, what these guys are doing now, cause I honestly think, this is what rpgmaker games should've looked like when we were first starting out. It kind of bums me out, how these guys are so much younger and seem to understand the maker better and faster than we did, but I guess that's just the sign of the times.

...But yeah, I'm really interested to hear what others wanted to get nominated too. Like, I was surprised that Dirge of Doningoth wasn't included, cause that seasonal dungeon was really well done. I'm also surprised GRIMPS didn't get nominated in more categories, cause Momeka has been working on that game for a very long time. Same with Shooty and the Catfish and IGMC's top 10 games for 2018, like Kryopolis(also really well done)

But yeah, I'd really like to put together a list, just so people will have a better idea of what came out for 2018 -(not so much, what came out, but what people felt deserved to get nominated, like, I never would've known Dirge of Doningoth had a really cool dungeon if Darken didn't mention it; anecdotes like that, that get people to check games out.)

EDIT: Eldritch Law, for me, was like, this mix of Mother 3 and Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, where the switch to a first-person-view did more to help establish this strange world, the story and character resides in - it took me by surprise, the backdrops and the monsters during the battles were really well done too and so was the music. I especially liked the battle system, like instead of mashing attack, you have an arsenal of spells from the start, so the challenge isn't just trying to figure out, how to defeat the enemy, but when to use what, within the amount of turns you have - like should I heal this turn, or should I risk it and save up for an attack? It really keeps the player actively engaged in the battle, it was really cool and really well done.
The issue with nominating is that:
= the game can't be marked commercial
= it has to get more than one nomination

Now you might think it'd be easy for bigger games to get more than one nomination, and usually you'd be correct, but this last year had the lowest amount of nominations EVER - we hit below half the nominations we usually get.

I think we might run a few minievents during the year to get people to play games and then nominate if they enjoyed what they played.

The whole "commercial games should be allowed" is a bit sticky as the Misaos have always been for free games and it's a bit unfair to have games that HAVE to be polished and up to a higher standard just to get sales compete with their less able cousins who were just made for fun/events/in time crunches/etc.

As for my own Misao choices? Well being that I played an ungodly amount of games this year (as per usual), I had experienced at least something of most of themn so I voted based on what I'd played.

Liberty
The whole "commercial games should be allowed" is a bit sticky as the Misaos have always been for free games and it's a bit unfair to have games that HAVE to be polished and up to a higher standard just to get sales compete with their less able cousins who were just made for fun/events/in time crunches/etc.

I'd suggest making a category only for commercial games. Basically commercial games can't get in any other category. The community is full of people making the switch to commercial and I think it's worth adapting and responding to that. I also think the game making culture is changing, the line between commercial and freeware is getting blurrier.

As for the nomination problem maybe it'd be good to let people nominate more than one for each category (3 maybe?). It would give people who played a variety of games a little more power but also alleviate the dwindling numbers of just not enough games passing the 2 mark because you can only pick one. It may sound like a band-aid solution but I did personally have a lot of picks that probably would have coincided with others if I didn't have to cut it down to just one. If it turns out we have more activity and people participating then maybe the nominations can be changed back to 1.

Liberty
I think we might run a few minievents during the year to get people to play games and then nominate if they enjoyed what they played.

A mid-misao event (the month of june, half way through the year) might help? I think psychologically we're kind of ordained to nominate in a month's notice before the year ends even though the system is in place to not do that. I complained about this before but I don't even think new users know what the "Nominate" button does. If it's not self evident and we have to run a reminder event it's also indicative of a larger problem.
On a completely unrelated note, Darken, what anime is that image in your first post from?
Ruroni Kenshin, more specifically the character in the gif is named Misao. I just think it's an awesome coincidence that I grew up with that anime.
I had a pretty dumb moment when I saw "Flesh" on the nominees for "The Dark Souls of RMN" and thought to myself "Oh! Someone made a game with same title!", just to find out it was actually mine! Im still in shock. *_* Seriously, massive thank you's to those who nominated it, if you guys luckily happen to read this!

author=Darken
Ruroni Kenshin, more specifically the character in the gif is named Misao. I just think it's an awesome coincidence that I grew up with that anime.

She was my favorite character from the series! (Alongside Sanosuke!) I swear I read somewhere time ago that the awards were named after her actually, though I might be wrong!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
2018 was thin on big releases and the amount of categories was small. Still, having only one nominee in the sound category is a shame.
I guess making a summer nominating/gaming event could be helpful.
Also, if you would like to try writing Misao Impossibles again, it could help to have a whole team of contributors/players. 1. it would be less of a load. 2. they would have games to nominate.
author=kainworks
author=Darken
She was my favorite character from the series! (Alongside Sanosuke!) I swear I read somewhere time ago that the awards were named after her actually, though I might be wrong!

I'm so afraid of rewatching the show due to ruining the nostalgia but maybe I can just skip to the Kyoto arc. Also aoshi = baddest mofo on the planet.

author=Cap_H
Also, if you would like to try writing Misao Impossibles again, it could help to have a whole team of contributors/players. 1. it would be less of a load. 2. they would have games to nominate.

Yeah I'm also thinking a "What RM game are you playing topic" could also work as well, we have a few people doing review drive topics but I think it'd also be good to encourage people to do minor blogging about what they've been playing. Nothing super detailed or critiquey or something, just day to day ramblings. I feel like the last time we ever talked about RM games naturally was when someone did that best RM games of all time topic, that was kind of fun. Maybe not that exact discussion starter but something similar.

Idk I'm making a vow to not buy an AAA retail game this year for numerous reasons, but I also want to contribute more editorial stuff to RMN. We'll see how it goes though.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Just randomly dropping by to say, that I found it easy to pick nominees in all categories this year. I find the current roster of awards very good. I would return one genre award, tho. We got a whole load of horrors last year and I really wanted to nominate at least one for the best horror game.

Darken, we had a thread to talk about good RM games in 2018. I would like to talk about them, tho. Maybe we can try to revive rmn review society or podcast. The former is likely to attract the same people, who are likely to nominate anyway, but it's pleasant to have people to chat with about a mediocre interesting game.
The latter could make rmn feel more alive overall. I can't do podcast in English myself as I both have a very thick accent and hate talking to mechanical devices.

Also, it would be possible to make awards rewarding too. Give winners or a random person, who nominates a game something. That ofc would request a donor and it could be considered against community spirit.
author=kainworks

They were! There's a reason the logo has a sword in it. ;p

They were! There's a reason the logo has a sword in it. ;p

Feels good to be right, lol. Just kidding. Thanks for clarifying that! ^^
If someone paid me to play games and nominate, I would totally do it.

Who let Fire RMNblem into the css category. IT'S DEFAULT. That entry might as well be 'RPGmaker.net'. Who's been stuffing the ballot box? ;P

Cast a few votes, for what little categories I could.
Pages: first 12 next last