ODIN SPHERE

Pages: 1
Starting this discussion.

My opinion: If you can find it, get it. It's great.
I just picked it up yesterday, and have been enjoying it a lot so far, though I'm still only on Chapter 3.

Other than the usual reason people like it, I'd like to bring special attention to the framing device they use. It's not dissimilar to one I was planning for a future project....but then again, it's a pretty obvious framing device, too. I'm surprised I don't see it more often. I'm referring to the little girl reading the books when you go to load your game, here.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the voice acting, though. Sometimes it seems well done and sometimes it seems a little iffy. There's no questioning the beauty of the thing, though, and the gameplay is pretty sweet too. It's actually fairly challenging on Normal Mode. Although I haven't played Etrian Oddyssey yet, which I'm told is the most difficult game released in a while, so keep that in mind when hearing me say "It's fairly challenging."
Interesting. I don't know, lately I been having this major deja vu with games. Just watched the trailer and, for some reason the background music reminded me so much of something, almost like I heard it a long time ago, just couldn't put my finger on what.. Anyway, it looks pretty cool.
I picked up Odin Sphere yesterday.

It seems completely outrageous that I can adjust to these production through the roof production values. I keep feeling like I ought to just pause the game to soak up the beauty of each frame.

The controls are a little unwieldly, mainly because it calls for tactical fighting since you can't just button mash. I'm not sure how the game expects me to fight precisely. I keep wanting to use the block command, but it's easy to get caught up in a combo and just get smacked before you have a chance to.

The mini-bosses can be freaking ridiculous. There was a fight where you had to take on two beserkers at the same time, I only managed to win that because I'd concocted a vial of toxin before the fight. Friggin' General Brigan was a pain in the butt to dispatch. The challenge is pretty nice, really, but I keep wondering if the engine is slightly clunky or if I'm just not playing right.

author=Mewd link=topic=28.msg606#msg606 date=1181866711
I picked up Odin Sphere yesterday.

It seems completely outrageous that I can adjust to these production through the roof production values. I keep feeling like I ought to just pause the game to soak up the beauty of each frame.

The controls are a little unwieldly, mainly because it calls for tactical fighting since you can't just button mash. I'm not sure how the game expects me to fight precisely. I keep wanting to use the block command, but it's easy to get caught up in a combo and just get smacked before you have a chance to.

The mini-bosses can be freaking ridiculous. There was a fight where you had to take on two beserkers at the same time, I only managed to win that because I'd concocted a vial of toxin before the fight. Friggin' General Brigan was a pain in the butt to dispatch. The challenge is pretty nice, really, but I keep wondering if the engine is slightly clunky or if I'm just not playing right.

The game rewards good item use. When you get the Painkiller and Health Potions (if you haven't already), they will be your best friends.

Also, when the restaurant and cafe become available, abuse them. =)
I really want this game, but I have no idea if/when/whatever it is out here. The videos looked absolutely gorgeous.
I just got Odin Sphere for my birthday, and I played half an hour of it and LOVED it, but I discovered something unfortunate: as I also got an Xbox 360, I find that I'd really rather play things that give me Achievements! Hopefully that'll wear off soon, because I really want to play more Odin Sphere, but I'm powerless to resist. :'(

Lys
author=Lys86 link=topic=28.msg948#msg948 date=1182517029
I just got Odin Sphere for my birthday, and I played half an hour of it and LOVED it, but I discovered something unfortunate: as I also got an Xbox 360, I find that I'd really rather play things that give me Achievements! Hopefully that'll wear off soon, because I really want to play more Odin Sphere, but I'm powerless to resist. :'(

Lys
I haven't played X360, but I've heard of these "achievements," and they sound pretty sweet! When I get a 360 (pretty much solely for Trusty Bell, let's be honest) hopefully it won't affect me like it seems to be affecting you and make it harder for me to play games without them!
Achievements are great and everything, but do you REALLY need to be acknowledged for your virtual accomplishments? They're just little digital trophies. They really shouldn't make normal games any less gratifying to play.
author=Mewd link=topic=28.msg963#msg963 date=1182536644
Achievements are great and everything, but do you REALLY need to be acknowledged for your virtual accomplishments? They're just little digital trophies. They really shouldn't make normal games any less gratifying to play.

I have a 360, and while I'm not much of an achievement whore, there is a sense of accomplishment to unlocking them.

But yeah, it's really just e-penis. =)

Despite that, Odin Sphere is awesome and Lys should finish it!
Ha-ha! I've completed the game!

I love how they handled the Armageddon chapter. Having a little control over who fights what is pretty awesome, in spite of outcomes.

I am trying now to figure out how to get those last two cut scenes in the story archive. I got all the recipes, but there are a couple paths in the Armageddon chapter I haven't unlocked yet.

I pretty much adore this game, though. Brilliant story telling, gorgeous visuals, a nice sound track and an interesting combat system. Dungeon crawling was a little monotonous, there was some painful lag in spots, and load times were kind of painful, but ultimately the game strikes me as glorious.

And I wrote a self-indulgent review on my personal blog, even.
author=Mewd link=topic=28.msg963#msg963 date=1182536644
Achievements are great and everything, but do you REALLY need to be acknowledged for your virtual accomplishments?

yes (my gamerscore is five BILLION)

why else do I play games besides to be the best?
Pages: 1