BEST DS GAMES

Pages: first 123 next last
Well, I got a crapload of money for Christmas and I plan on spending a tad of it towards 1 or 2 DS games. Obviously plenty of people here like the DS (disregarding the few of you die-hard psp modding fans :P) and I'd like to hear recommendations of which games I should purchase. I'll also make a list of which games you guys prefer in this post...aaaaand GO!

RPG
Etrian Odyssey II
Final Fantasy III*
Final Fantasy IV
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
Chrono Trigger DS
Magical Starsign*
The World Ends With You
Pokemon: Diamond*/Pearl
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Action/Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime
Dragon Ball: Origins
Lego Star Wars Saga*(owned on the Wii though)

Shoot 'Em Up
Bangai-O Spirits
Contra IV
Metal Slug DS

Strategy
Disgaea DS
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Lock's Quest

Horror
Theresia: Dear Emile

Puzzle
Picross
Meteos*
Tetris DS
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Ace Attorney Series
Mah-Jongg DS

Platformer
New! Super Mario Bros.*
Kirby Superstar Ultra
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow*
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Yoshi Island DS
Megaman ZX/Advent

Racing
Mario Kart DS*

Sports
FIFA '09

Fighting
Bleach: Blade of Fate

Simulation
Harvest Moon DS
Rune Factory*
Rune Factory 2

Miscellaneous
Elite Beat Agents
Guitar Hero Series(hehe Blitzen)
42 All-Time Classics

Unreleased
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - Feb 17, '09
Suikoden: Tierkreis - Mar 17, '09
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Mar 17, '09
Legacy of Ys: Books I-II - Feb 10, '09
The Dark Spire - Mar 10, '09
Avalon Code - Feb '09
GTA: Chinatown Stories - Mar 17, '09
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Feb 16, '09

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/upcoming.html
^ This is a list of RPGs (only) that will be coming out for DS this/next year.
Awesome list provided by Liberty

*means that I own the game already, after thinking about it I should probably put this in here
Picross DS is a great puzzle game. Its easy to get into, you can make a lot of progress in a puzzle in a few minutes, and if you get stuck in a puzzle you can save your progress and do another puzzle (although you can only save one puzzle at a time) and there's a lot of puzzles to do.
Etrian Odyssey 2, Final Fantasy 4 DS, Dragon Quest 4. Those would be a few i recommend.
Elite Beat Agents
Meteos
New Super Mario Bros

Were the three games I bought with my DS and to be honest they were great choices. (And ordered above in order of greatness).

But I can also recommend Tetris DS and Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Apart from that I'm kinda looking around for DS games every now and then but there seem to be only shit available. Nothing ever really catches my eye. You'd think there'd be something really awesome on the machine by now...
Kirby Superstar DS (or whatever). It was one of the best games on the SNES.
Disgaea DS and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 are great examples of SRPGs.
I'm not sure what category they'd fit into, but the Ace Attorney games are pretty good too.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
If you think that the Ace Attorney series falls under 'simulation,' I hope you never have to go to LA.
Where would you put it Craze?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Puzzle, most definitely. The entire series is about logic, or the lack thereof. Well, and spirit chanelling in the first three.
Elite Beat Agents is very fun and I'd certaintly recommend it. Well, I don't see how it would fall under "simulation", but whatever.

Other than that, the only other games that I've played on that list are New Super Mario Bros. and Meteos. Well, if you haven't picked up Phantom Hourglass or Mario Kart DS yet, then those might be good choices.
Meh, I took out Sim, and put in Misc. how does that sound?
Upcoming DS games you may be interested in:

Dragon Quest V
Suikoden Tierkreis
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant Plume
Ys Book I-II
Dark Spire
Avalon Code

I guess I need a non-jRPG:
GTA Chinatown Stories

All of the above will be out before the end of March.
Professor Layton and the Curious Village and the Ace Attorney Series hands down. To anyone who's played Layton, I humbly request you to watch this video. I don't really play much DS, but I'm thinking of picking up Ys and Dark Spire (Maybe My World, My Way, but probably not) out of Atlus fan-centricity. ;D
Well, I would recommend Kirby Superstar Ultra, because I bought it myself and it's pretty great. Although, it only took me 2 weeks (of casual playing) to get the 100% and beat all the new additions to the game. If you're wanting some games that will keep you busy, then I would definitely recommend FFIV and Tactics A2.
I had played through the SNES version many times and loved that game immensely, but I was slightly reluctant to buy it considered it didn't take long, as you said, to get 100% and I'm glad you confirmed that it doesn't take long to beat the additional modes.

Right now I'm looking through iishenron's suggestions and they all look great, especially graphically and I've been slowly adding in specific release dates. Valkyrie Profile and Ys stand out to me specifically so far.

I'm glad I'm getting so many suggestions, and from what I can tell they're all good suggestions as well. Hopefully this can help some other people who are looking at DS games too. Mmmm this community is great.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
SHIREN THE WANDERER #1 BEST GAME

Also the Castlevanias are good games, even if they aren't quite the wonderous beauties that the GBA trilogy were.
author=Ciel link=topic=2807.msg53569#msg53569 date=1230879684
SHIREN THE WANDERER #1 BEST GAME
I've seen that game around! It looks like a dungeon crawler with cool graphics.

As for what games I think are the 'best DS games', I'd have to say NONE. I hate the DS.
DE
*click to edit*
Unofrtunately, there aren't that many good titles on the DS if you're an RPG fan, or don't enjoy games heavily utilizing the touch screen.

Though there were a few enjoyable games:

- CastleVania trilogy - all are pretty good; Dawn of Sorrow is the weakest IMO, and Portrait of Ruin the best one (many people would disagree)
- Phoenix Wright 1 - the first one was awesome, because it was mildly serious, the sequels were painful to sit through due to absolutely idiotic anime characters (the circus case, GOD :X) and supernatural elements which somehow no one in the courtroom gave a damn about (possession case from PW2)
- Dragon Quest Rocket Slime or something - great pixelart graphics, but the game itself isn't mindblowing
- Contra 4 - for hardcore fans only (very difficult)
- Metal Slug DS - a piece of trash compared to arcade versions, but not a bad game for a handheld (it's actually a sad statement)
- Final Fantasy 4 - different enough from the original to warrant a playthrough, but I felt it lacked something
- Professor Layton - fun, but some puzzles are just ridiculous
- Magical Starsign - fun for a few hours and to admire beautiful pixelart graphics, but then it becomes more of a chore

What I DID NOT ENJOY:
- Etrian Odyssey - if you enjoy walking back and forth through the same levels over and over and over again (you have to visit the town VERY often and teleports are placed on each 5th level only) then sure, it's a cool game
- Chrono Trigger (optional dungeons, the port itself is perfect)
- Lunar, Luminous Arc, Rondo of Swords - these games are pure garbage aimed at anime fans who swallow everything with anime artwork in it (sorry Lunar/LA/RoS lovers :)
- World Ends With You - pretentious to the point I wanted to gouge my eyes out and rip off my ears; how this gathered positive reviews is beyond me
- Final Fantasy 3/DQ4 - these two titles completely ignore almost 20 years of jRPG evolution; results are not pretty
- Disgaea DS and FFTA2 - these games are basically single-player MMORPGs; beyond fighting random battles there is nothing to these games; no story, no likeable characters, no nothing; if you like endless grinding then these two might interest you
author=DE link=topic=2807.msg53585#msg53585 date=1230903099
- Final Fantasy 3/DQ4 - these two titles completely ignore almost 20 years of jRPG evolution; results are not pretty
Aren't they about 20 years old?
DE
*click to edit*
And the question is why would anyone remake those games and only change the visuals and not the gameplay? Gamers' expectations were a bit different 20 years ago than they are today.

I know there are fans of DQ who enjoy the neverchanging formula of the series, but I'm not a fan. I'm also not against DQ for whatever reason. I simply don't think a 20 year-old system makes for an enjoyable experience (exploration, item management, grinding, generic setting etc.).
Pages: first 123 next last